Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nexstar-AT&T dispute
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Nexstar-AT&T dispute
This dispute may have an even larger impact than the CBS-AT&T dispute, considering Nexstar stations (over 100 markets) have not been on DirecTV or AT&T for over a month now (it started July 4).

Some of the markets affected:

*ABC: Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Capital Region, Hartford
*CBS: Las Vegas, Birmingham, Providence, Buffalo
*FOX: Hampton Roads, NW Arkansas, Hawaii
*NBC: Tampa, Columbus, Austin, Norfolk, Grand Rapids, Fresno, Little Rock, Scranton, Dayton, Wichita, Brownsville, El Paso, Shreveport, Savannah, Charleston.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 02:03 PM by sctvman.)
08-07-2019 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: Nexstar-AT&T dispute
Well, as many people are dropping pay TV it may be hard to negotiate. However, it could lead to more OTA viewers as more viewers discover they could watch those stations for free.
08-07-2019 10:55 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Nexstar-AT&T dispute
Just realized NBC has been off here in Austin and I haven’t missed it
08-08-2019 07:23 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
We have been missing CBS in Mobile, AL/Pensacola, FL market. The good part is that the station has a strong OTA signal.
08-08-2019 07:44 AM
westwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CFB
(08-08-2019 07:23 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  Just realized NBC has been off here in Austin and I haven’t missed it

Same here. They don't carry many sports compared to CBS.
08-08-2019 10:03 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I usually only watch NBC on Sunday nights in the fall and most of the time via antenna because the picture is better.
08-08-2019 10:34 AM
Advertisement

TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(08-07-2019 10:55 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Well, as many people are dropping pay TV it may be hard to negotiate. However, it could lead to more OTA viewers as more viewers discover they could watch those stations for free.

I don't understand why more don't do this already for ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS games. Not sure about yalls area but where I live you can pick these stations up in 1080 with a digital antennae. Picture is just as good if not better.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2019 10:51 AM by TTT.)
08-08-2019 10:51 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(08-08-2019 10:51 AM)TTT Wrote:  
(08-07-2019 10:55 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Well, as many people are dropping pay TV it may be hard to negotiate. However, it could lead to more OTA viewers as more viewers discover they could watch those stations for free.

I don't understand why more don't do this already for ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS games. Not sure about yalls area but where I live you can pick these stations up in 1080 with a digital antennae. Picture is just as good if not better.

If you have a good signal. I don't get Fox well at all, ABC can be shakey.

My brother can't get anything but PBS with an antenna.

Hopefully ATSC 3.0 will increase the viewing radius if adopted by stations.
08-08-2019 11:23 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(08-08-2019 10:51 AM)TTT Wrote:  

This is from a “lazy perspective”, but unless there’s multiple games on the broadcast networks at the same time, it’s a “hassle” to switch inputs on your TV. Lol
08-08-2019 11:30 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
I'm in a weird place myself (Cable is Tampa, OTA is Fort Myers), so I have to go back and forth during football season when the Bucs are at home.
08-08-2019 12:06 PM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
There's a number of lazy/entitled people that call in the local sports radio saying they refuse to connect an antenna while they say they can't pick up CBS/NBC/CW for Direct/ATT and FOX for Dish Network.
08-08-2019 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
CBS is out in Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA
08-08-2019 03:36 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
In Fresno, NBC & CBS are nexstar.

I have directv for sun. ticket. They sent me an antenna but it didn't work through the box it just says the nexstar station blah blah eat $#!+, and it just stayed snowy when i ran it through the tv and went to ant. on my tv. I told them yesterday, the CA people will leave in droves and there is a flood of people railing against them on facebook. I also let them know other companies are offering gift cards to pay the early cancellation fees for leaving directv. The chat person said they would send that up to management. I said if we have to pay more, we pay more, those are major channels. I had to watch the HOF gm on nbcsports.com

I watch fallon, snl, college fb, nfl religiously.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2019 03:31 AM by Fresno St. Alum.)
08-09-2019 01:36 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

This outage has gone on for over 6 weeks with no sign of a resolution. We have two more weeks before major football games are affected with the ABC and Fox stations on Nexstar.

Pretty much the entire state of TN is affected with ABC. Only Jackson, Chattanooga and the part that is in the Huntsville market are not owned by Nexstar. The Ole Miss-Memphis game the first Saturday of the season is on ABC.

Ratings are down with Nexstar stations everywhere.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/08/08/wgrz-...irect-hit/
08-17-2019 01:18 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Looks like it's time for a lot of people to dump DirecTV and UVerse.

Even if you don't like cable, there are about half a dozen good streaming options, and they'll cost you less.
08-17-2019 02:00 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(08-09-2019 01:36 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  In Fresno, NBC & CBS are nexstar.

I have directv for sun. ticket. They sent me an antenna but it didn't work through the box it just says the nexstar station blah blah eat $#!+, and it just stayed snowy when i ran it through the tv and went to ant. on my tv. I told them yesterday, the CA people will leave in droves and there is a flood of people railing against them on facebook. I also let them know other companies are offering gift cards to pay the early cancellation fees for leaving directv. The chat person said they would send that up to management. I said if we have to pay more, we pay more, those are major channels. I had to watch the HOF gm on nbcsports.com

I watch fallon, snl, college fb, nfl religiously.

I'm in Albuquerque. Local CBS and FOX are affected. I got an antenna from DirecTV, connected it and it works great. I had trouble in the beginning, till I put the antenna in a window.

Last winter when the NFL playoffs were starting, NexStar pulled its feed to a smaller cable company in southeast New Mexico. They wanted more money. This smaller company can't afford it. To this day they no longer have CBS and FOX.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019 02:56 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
08-17-2019 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I find it insane that a station licensed in the public interest using public owned frequencies can charge for re-transmission in the service territory.
08-18-2019 10:10 AM
spenser Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-18-2019 10:10 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I find it insane that a station licensed in the public interest using public owned frequencies can charge for re-transmission in the service territory.

The average rate for a local channel is over $3 for cable and Satalight to carry. I work for AT&T and for local affiliates makes up $15-$20of the package.

And that is for the ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW and one PBS. The sub channels are usually priced too high to consider carrying.

The recent CBS deal they wanted almost $8.
08-18-2019 11:00 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
One thing I will give Cox Cable here in BR credit for is that we almost never go through these kinds of things.

There was a time maybe 5-6 years ago, when there was a conflict with CBS over payments, and it was unclear whether CBS would be pulled from our cable lineup. But that was sorted out before any programming was missed, and since then, I do not recall any more of these situations occurring.

Seems like Direct TV is involved in them frequently.
08-18-2019 11:11 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

(08-18-2019 11:00 AM)spenser Wrote:  
(08-18-2019 10:10 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  I find it insane that a station licensed in the public interest using public owned frequencies can charge for re-transmission in the service territory.

The average rate for a local channel is over $3 for cable and Satalight to carry. I work for AT&T and for local affiliates makes up $15-$20of the package.

And that is for the ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW and one PBS. The sub channels are usually priced too high to consider carrying.

The recent CBS deal they wanted almost $8.

Dish Network charges $12.99 a month for locals. They also dropped all of the Fox RSNs because they were wanting too much money, and are in a multiple-week dispute with Meredith (who owns CBS in Phoenix, Atlanta, St. Louis, KC and several other large markets).

We had Dish Network back when it was just starting out. We had to keep cable to have our locals because they didn’t have the space to carry them. It wasn’t until late 2004 that either satellite service had locals in Charleston.

So no matter what, you can’t win having satellite.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019 04:45 PM by sctvman.)
08-18-2019 04:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.