Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Danny White opens the door for UCF playing 2 for 1s
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Orlando Sentinel reports

I wouldn't be too surprised to see series with Florida and/or Alabama in the not too distant future.

Would be great for the sport. It certainly would be a lot more fun to play those games than a bunch of FCS schools.
08-06-2019 02:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
RE: Danny White opens the door for UCF playing 2 for 1s
(08-06-2019 02:14 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Orlando Sentinel reports

I wouldn't be too surprised to see series with Florida and/or Alabama in the not too distant future.

Would be great for the sport. It certainly would be a lot more fun to play those games than a bunch of FCS schools.
The problem is that UF doesn't want a 2-1, they want a 2-0-1, which is unacceptable. Idk about Alabama but their stance is probably the same. These teams just don't want to play at Spectrum Stadium, which is why White mentions that this series will never happen.
08-06-2019 02:23 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(08-06-2019 02:23 PM)BraveKnight Wrote:  

The problem is that UF doesn't want a 2-1, they want a 2-0-1, which is unacceptable. Idk about Alabama but their stance is probably the same. These teams just don't want to play at Spectrum Stadium, which is why White mentions that this series will never happen.

UCF should call South Carolina again. I would say the only reason we did a home and home was because of Spurrier, but we did just agree to a 2 for 1 with App State so I think UCF could definitely get that.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2019 02:32 PM by Gamecock.)
08-06-2019 02:31 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I suspect that this is Danny White negotiating in a more public manner.

I think a Florida or an Alabama would play at Spectrum Stadium, but there might be some other tangible value that a major Power 5 would want out of that deal.

The main reason they're willing to play in Tampa or at Camping World is because the stadiums are bigger and they can get more of their fans in there. Spectrum is a bit smaller so I suspect there might be some other trade off the P5s would ask for.
08-06-2019 02:32 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
Fair or not good on them. Go get some more skins on the wall and make them respect you
08-06-2019 03:04 PM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

(08-06-2019 02:31 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

UCF should call South Carolina again. I would say the only reason we did a home and home was because of Spurrier, but we did just agree to a 2 for 1 with App State so I think UCF could definitely get that.
I would love to do another series with South Carolina, had some good games, especially in 2013 04-cheers
08-06-2019 05:13 PM
Advertisement

BraveKnight Offline
All American

(08-06-2019 02:32 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I think a Florida or an Alabama would play at Spectrum Stadium, but there might be some other tangible value that a major Power 5 would want out of that deal.

The main reason they're willing to play in Tampa or at Camping World is because the stadiums are bigger and they can get more of their fans in there. Spectrum is a bit smaller so I suspect there might be some other trade off the P5s would ask for.
What kind of trade off are you suggesting?
08-06-2019 05:14 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(08-06-2019 05:14 PM)BraveKnight Wrote:  

Wives, first-born children...
08-06-2019 05:22 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I'm thinking in terms of a larger guaranteed ticket allotment. Maybe some other considerations like paying for travel.

These are just off the top of my head, but I think the ADs would probably be more creative than that.

Or maybe something like this? One game in Tuscaloosa...one game at Camping World...one game in Atlanta.
08-07-2019 02:39 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(08-07-2019 02:39 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I'm thinking in terms of a larger guaranteed ticket allotment. Maybe some other considerations like paying for travel.

These are just off the top of my head, but I think the ADs would probably be more creative than that.

Or maybe something like this? One game in Tuscaloosa...one game at Camping World...one game in Atlanta.

Usually, a 2-for-1 deal includes some cash for the team that is playing two road games, paid at the time of their second road game. If UCF only wants to give a small visitors' ticket allotment for the game in Orlando, the obvious trade-off is less cash to UCF for the second game in Gainesville or Tuscaloosa. Florida can use their contract with USF as a starting point: "OK, USF is giving us X tickets for their home game, and we're paying USF Y dollars for the second game in Gainesville. So, UCF, if you're giving us fewer than X tickets for your home game, then we'll give you fewer than Y dollars for our second game in Gainesville."
08-07-2019 03:20 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Hear me out...the SEC's premier schools (Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, UGA, etc.) will never, and I repeat NEVER play an away OOC game AT a G5 school. You might can get them to do it at a neutral site if it's got some big biz behind it (like that UGA/Boise kick off game a few years ago)...but a true away OOC game at a G5 school? Won't ever happen anymore. Why? Think about it...they have nothing to gain and imagine how much $ they would lose by NOT having that home OOC game vs some cream puff in front of 80+ thousand.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2019 04:33 PM by TTT.)
08-07-2019 04:32 PM
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(08-07-2019 04:32 PM)TTT Wrote:  Hear me out...the SEC's premier schools (Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, UGA, etc.) will never, and I repeat NEVER play an away OOC game AT a G5 school. You might can get them to do it at a neutral site if it's got some big biz behind it (like that UGA/Boise kick off game a few years ago)...but a true away OOC game at a G5 school? Won't ever happen anymore. Why? Think about it...they have nothing to gain and imagine how much $ they would lose by NOT having that home OOC game vs some cream puff in front of 80+ thousand.

It's not just about money, premier SEC schools are afraid of road OOC games. LSU is the only team that travels anywhere

Florida won't even leave the state for OOC games

Alabama has to have their one big game at a neutral game before they enter their tailormade SEC schedule with byes before the Aggies and LSU, and never any games against Georgia or Florida

And you wonder why these teams end up ranked so high

Who is coming to play UCF at home? Stanford has the balls
08-08-2019 06:27 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(08-08-2019 06:27 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  
(08-07-2019 04:32 PM)TTT Wrote:  Hear me out...the SEC's premier schools (Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, UGA, etc.) will never, and I repeat NEVER play an away OOC game AT a G5 school. You might can get them to do it at a neutral site if it's got some big biz behind it (like that UGA/Boise kick off game a few years ago)...but a true away OOC game at a G5 school? Won't ever happen anymore. Why? Think about it...they have nothing to gain and imagine how much $ they would lose by NOT having that home OOC game vs some cream puff in front of 80+ thousand.

It's not just about money, premier SEC schools are afraid of road OOC games. LSU is the only team that travels anywhere

Alabama has to have their one big game at a neutral game before they enter their tailormade SEC schedule with byes before the Aggies and LSU, and never any games against Georgia or Florida

When was the last time LSU played an OOC game @ a G5/Non-BCS team's place?
08-08-2019 09:51 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(08-08-2019 06:27 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  It's not just about money, premier SEC schools are afraid of road OOC games. LSU is the only team that travels anywhere

LSU plays a good schedule for sure, but is it really any harder than most other SEC teams?

SC, UF, UGA, and UK play home and homes with ACC teams every year.

UF and UGA play in Jacksonville every year, which limits their ability to play a second OOC team home and home because in certain years they only get 3 conference games at home. Nevertheless, UF has played @Miami (2013) and UGA has played @Colorado (2010), @Clemson (2013), and @Notre Dame (2017) this decade.

In 2013, SC played UNC, Clemson, and @UCF all in the same year.
08-09-2019 07:58 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama

Alabama does play Georgia and not just SEC title game. It's that they are in opposite divisions, where they don't play that often. In the regular season, Alabama plays Georgia last played in 2015 and will play in 2020.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama%E2%80%93Georgia_football_rivalry
Alabama last played Florida in 2014 and will play in 2021.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...ntil-2025/

Blame conference expansion for not playing conference teams besides a conf championship game.
08-09-2019 08:00 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC

That's simply not true. There's plenty of schools with stadiums of 80,000+ who have future games scheduled at G5s:

Oklahoma @ Army 2020, @ Tulane 2021, @ Temple 2025
FSU @ Boise 2021
Florida @ USF 2021
Alabama @ USF 2023
Tennessee @ BYU 2023
Nebraska @ Cincinnati 2025
Penn State @ Temple 2026
Notre Dame @ Navy almost every other year
Also, Texas & LSU both play Rice at the Houston Texans' stadium. That's not exactly a neutral site.
08-09-2019 09:00 AM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

(08-09-2019 09:00 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

That's simply not true. There's plenty of schools with stadiums of 80,000+ who have future games scheduled at G5s:

Oklahoma @ Army 2020, @ Tulane 2021, @ Temple 2025
FSU @ Boise 2021
Florida @ USF 2021
Alabama @ USF 2023
Tennessee @ BYU 2023
Nebraska @ Cincinnati 2025
Penn State @ Temple 2026
Notre Dame @ Navy almost every other year
Also, Texas & LSU both play Rice at the Houston Texans' stadium. That's not exactly a neutral site.

Really, the only three that absolutely will not do it are Auburn, Georgia, and Florida. Georgia and Florida have annual OOC rivalries that align schedule wise with their neutral site game in Jacksonville. Another road game against a G5 just isn't possible without dropping to 6 home games. Everybody else is pretty much on board with it under the right circumstances.

For the record, here is a list of the last instance of each SEC school visiting a G5:

Alabama @ Hawaii 2003 (scheduled under unusual circumstances)
Arkansas @ Colorado State 2018
Auburn @ Memphis 1976
Georgia @ Tulane 1972
Florida @ Memphis 1989
Kentucky @ Southern Miss 2017
LSU @ Tulane 2007
Mississippi St @ La Tech 2017
Missouri @ UConn 2017
Ole Miss @ Memphis 2015
South Carolina @UCF 2013
Tennessee @ Memphis 2010
Texas A&M @ SMU 2014
Vanderbilt @ MTSU 2017
08-09-2019 10:38 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

LSU also has the week off before Alabama.

How often does LSU play Georgia?

Sure, every year you play a Florida squad that for nearly 10 years has been mediocre, but you people act like you're being asked to play an NFL team for a permanent crossover. Let's side aside the fact you've played each other every year since 1971 and met 65 times in total, what is so special about LSU's schedule?

BTW, since Nick Saban left Baton Rouge, LSU has been defeated by Arkansas just as often as LSU has beaten Alabama. The caveat being, we've won 8 in a row.

All you really have to do is win your games and you'll be highly ranked. The equation is simple unless your name is Ed Orgeron.
08-09-2019 11:16 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

USF forced White to fold.
08-11-2019 06:45 PM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

(08-11-2019 06:45 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

USF forced White to fold.
Not really, UF will do a 2-1 with usf because usf plays in a rented NFL stadium, they will never play at Spectrum where their fans won't make up half the crowd. White (kinda) folded because no one will schedule us in a 1-1 the last 2 years, he mentioned that in an interview. He said "I've called just about every P5 AD that makes sense to play and none have returned my calls".
08-11-2019 08:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.