Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A College Football Fan's Dilemma...
Bookmark and Share
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Exclamation A College Football Fan's Dilemma...
With the exception of last season (terrible circumstances), I've been at nearly every home game and 15+ away games since 2005. I really want to be at the start of the Chip Lindsey Era and see the new turf in person, but I also want to watch football all day. Lots of great games on "opening" weekend. There are few good games during the week before, and a couple Sunday / Monday games as well that I'll watch.

I'm torn though. Should I go to Troy (1.25 hour drive up from Dothan), or stay home and watch 8 to 10 more games? SunBeltBBS, what should I do??
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 05:12 PM by TroyFootball05.)
07-30-2019 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VNova Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State, UCSD
RE: A College Football Fan's Dilemma...
Unfortunately, I don't live close enough to Boone to go to games (DG, schedule SDSU on the road please!), so my immediate thought is enjoy watching 8+ games. All the beer and wings you want for a fraction of the cost!
07-30-2019 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
For me I try to get my "Most of the day Saturday football fix" on week zero games. I couldn't miss Coach Drink's first game. Soon as the game is over I'll be watching multiple games at the bars around Boone and on my phone with ESPN+
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 05:16 PM by Yosef Himself.)
07-30-2019 05:15 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Thats rough. It sucks that we play a&m on a Thursday because now I won't be able to make it but it is nice because we'll get Bobcat football back 2 days earlier and I can focus on watching whatever other games I want. Honestly I don't really get into cfb except for TXST, other Sun Belt games, and watching teams I hate lose but I am so football starved that I watch as much as possible on Week 1. If TXST was playing on a Saturday though I'd be there. I say you go.
07-30-2019 05:25 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
I say go to Troy. I never regret going to Statesboro when I can. The most important game to me each week is the Georgia Southern game, and I can still usually catch a few others either in the tailgating lot or in a bar before and after. If Troy is your numero uno, you won’t regret going.

Opening day is on my birthday this year. I was originally going to try to make it to the LSU game and spend my birthday weekend in New Orleans/Baton Rouge but plans changed, so instead a group of friends and I will be bouncing from bar to bar in downtown Savannah watching football and drinking good drinks. All I want for my birthday is an Eagles win.
07-30-2019 05:26 PM
Cajuns1252 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-30-2019 05:02 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  With the exception of last season (terrible circumstances), I've been at nearly every home game and 15+ away games since 2005. I really want to be at the start of the Chip Lindsey Era and see the new turf in person, but I also want to watch football all day. Lots of great games on "opening" weekend. There are few good games during the week before, and a couple Sunday / Monday games as well that I'll watch.

I'm torn though. Should I go to Troy (1.25 hour drive up from Dothan), or stay home and watch 8 to 10 more games? SunBeltBBS, what should I do??

Buy Sling TV for football season buy and fire stick and create a WiFi hotspot on your phone. That way you can tailgate at the troy game have a TV set up watching all the games and still get to go inside the Troy opener.
07-30-2019 05:36 PM
Advertisement

GoBigRed26 Online
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(07-30-2019 05:02 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  With the exception of last season (terrible circumstances), I've been at nearly every home game and 15+ away games since 2005. I really want to be at the start of the Chip Lindsey Era and see the new turf in person, but I also want to watch football all day. Lots of great games on "opening" weekend. There are few good games during the week before, and a couple Sunday / Monday games as well that I'll watch.

“College football fan’s dilemma?” Not even close. That is blasphemous, kind sir, to say you are debating sitting on your butt at home, rather than a short drive to watch the season opener. This is an example of what a real dilemma would be: My son is getting married on opening day and I’m not sure if I should go to the game or the wedding.
07-30-2019 05:52 PM
Cajuns1252 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-30-2019 05:52 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

“College football fan’s dilemma?” Not even close. That is blasphemous, kind sir, to say you are debating sitting on your butt at home, rather than a short drive to watch the season opener. This is an example of what a real dilemma would be: My son is getting married on opening day and I’m not sure if I should go to the game or the wedding.

Yea....that’s your sons fault, outcast him from the family with shame for his foolish mistakes and go to the game.
07-30-2019 06:00 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy

It’s an easy decision for me. Although I haven’t missed a game in quite a while. There’s nothing better than setting up at 8:00 am for a 5:00 pm kickoff and hanging out with your friends and meeting new ones. Our tailgate is a lot of work, but it’s well worth it. We have the TV setup before any games start. We typically cook some breakfast for the setup crew and early arrivals and then cook again for the main tailgate. Six weeks out of the year we get to do this at home. I can’t imagine missing it to watch any game on TV.
07-30-2019 06:41 PM
troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
Sounds like a horrible dilemma. Thoughts and prayers.
07-30-2019 06:58 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
[Image: giphy.gif]
07-30-2019 07:06 PM
Advertisement

eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

Hey App fans, did we somehow find our way back onto AGS?

Thought we'd left that behind.
07-30-2019 07:07 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(07-30-2019 06:41 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  Six weeks out of the year we get to do this at home. I can’t imagine missing it to watch any game on TV.

This.

1.6% of the year you get to tailgate at home for a football game.
07-30-2019 07:21 PM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4350357]

I am questioning the legitimacy of the CFB fandom from OP with a thread like this.

Seriously.. this thread makes my *** twitch.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 07:37 PM by TheEagleWay.)
07-30-2019 07:31 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I'll just say it like this. Not everyone has to experience college football the same way. Hemi Man is 10x the fan I am. The university loves him and his family. I have a huge amount of respect for him. That said, I don't have to be what he is, or what any of you are. It's great that you guys are 10x fans. With the exception of last season, I've missed exactly 2 home games since 2005. Extremely complicated family issues kept me at home last season. I'm still a big fan, and will always be. Troy will never not be my number one.

I'd like to "hole up" on opening weekend every once and while and watch story lines that don't just involve Troy. I know many of you don't care about football, or sports in general, outside of your home teams, though. I've rooted for Auburn in certain circumstances, and I've rooted for Alabama in others. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to beat the piss out of them in their own stadiums. My definition of being a Troy fan doesn't have to match yours.

All that said, I'll likely find some creative way to be at Veterans Memorial Stadium and still get some others good games in. Thanks for the responses.
07-30-2019 07:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(07-30-2019 05:11 PM)VNova Wrote:  Unfortunately, I don't live close enough to Boone to go to games (DG, schedule SDSU on the road please!), so my immediate thought is enjoy watching 8+ games. All the beer and wings you want for a fraction of the cost!

(07-30-2019 05:15 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  For me I try to get my "Most of the day Saturday football fix" on week zero games. I couldn't miss Coach Drink's first game. Soon as the game is over I'll be watching multiple games at the bars around Boone and on my phone with ESPN+

(07-30-2019 05:25 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Thats rough. It sucks that we play a&m on a Thursday because now I won't be able to make it but it is nice because we'll get Bobcat football back 2 days earlier and I can focus on watching whatever other games I want. Honestly I don't really get into cfb except for TXST, other Sun Belt games, and watching teams I hate lose but I am so football starved that I watch as much as possible on Week 1. If TXST was playing on a Saturday though I'd be there. I say you go.

(07-30-2019 05:26 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  I say go to Troy. I never regret going to Statesboro when I can. The most important game to me each week is the Georgia Southern game, and I can still usually catch a few others either in the tailgating lot or in a bar before and after. If Troy is your numero uno, you won’t regret going.

(07-30-2019 05:36 PM)Cajuns1252 Wrote:  Buy Sling TV for football season buy and fire stick and create a WiFi hotspot on your phone. That way you can tailgate at the troy game have a TV set up watching all the games and still get to go inside the Troy opener.

(07-30-2019 06:41 PM)Hemi Man Wrote:  It’s an easy decision for me. Although I haven’t missed a game in quite a while. There’s nothing better than setting up at 8:00 am for a 5:00 pm kickoff and hanging out with your friends and meeting new ones. Our tailgate is a lot of work, but it’s well worth it. We have the TV setup before any games start. We typically cook some breakfast for the setup crew and early arrivals and then cook again for the main tailgate. Six weeks out of the year we get to do this at home. I can’t imagine missing it to watch any game on TV.

(07-30-2019 07:21 PM)_x_ Wrote:  1.6% of the year you get to tailgate at home for a football game.

These are great. I appreciate the feedback.
07-30-2019 08:01 PM
Advertisement

McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St

Obviously the son is wanting to be written out of the will.
07-30-2019 08:18 PM
GoBigRed26 Online
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(07-30-2019 08:18 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  

Obviously the son is wanting to be written out of the will.

My sons are 3 1/2 and 4 months. They’re not getting married yet. I was just using that as hypothetical example of a dilemma compared to the OP’s “dilemma.”
07-30-2019 09:13 PM
appsfan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: App State
TroyFootball05, I think you should go to the game. I think you will, in time, regret missing the start of the Lindsey era, seeing the new turf, and the excitement of a home game. You can always DVR the matchups you want to see (or watch a replay) later. Let us know what you decide.
07-30-2019 09:50 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

(07-30-2019 07:53 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I'll just say it like this. Not everyone has to experience college football the same way. Hemi Man is 10x the fan I am. The university loves him and his family. I have a huge amount of respect for him. That said, I don't have to be what he is, or what any of you are. It's great that you guys are 10x fans. With the exception of last season, I've missed exactly 2 home games since 2005. Extremely complicated family issues kept me at home last season. I'm still a big fan, and will always be. Troy will never not be my number one.

I'd like to "hole up" on opening weekend every once and while and watch story lines that don't just involve Troy. I know many of you don't care about football, or sports in general, outside of your home teams, though. I've rooted for Auburn in certain circumstances, and I've rooted for Alabama in others. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to beat the piss out of them in their own stadiums. My definition of being a Troy fan doesn't have to match yours.

All that said, I'll likely find some creative way to be at Veterans Memorial Stadium and still get some others good games in. Thanks for the responses.

I love college football as a whole. I do everything I can to watch as many games as I can. I have a 43" screen as my computer monitor so I can squeeze as many streams onscreen as possible. I also have a Tailgater setup from Dish so I can watch TV while I'm tailgating.

However, I will never miss a home game, even if I can't watch other games. On those days, our game is more important than anything else. There'll be plenty of other weekends to stay at home and catch as much as possible.

But this year, having bought an RV to improve my tailgating experience even more, I'll be watching football Fri night and all day Saturday in the tailgate lot except when I go to our game. And I won't be sweating my ass off to do it. Granted, not everyone has that luxury so I understand it isn't always that easy.

Now, no one will fault you for missing games for other circumstances that are more important than football. No one is going to give you grief for that. I've missed 4 total home games since 2001, and 2 of those were due to being out of town for work. The other two were while I was still a student. Sometimes, other things take priority. Glad things are better with your family to where you can even debate this.

But the distance you're having to drive is less than what I drive for a home game by a good bit. From what I've seen of the parking situation at Troy you could watch a good bit of football at home, drive over and watch your game and not miss a terrible lot of what else is on, then be back home before it's too late.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 10:37 PM by eaglewraith.)
07-30-2019 10:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.