Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Troy grads creating new version of NCAA Football game
Bookmark and Share
CardinalBlackTrojan Online

I Root For: TROY
Exclamation Troy grads creating new version of NCAA Football game
There are a couple of Troy graduates that have led the effort to create a new video game called Gridiron Champions that will basically be the revival of the NCAA Football game we've all missed.

https://today.troy.edu/alumni/grad-bring...all-games/

The first release of the game won't feature licensed college football teams. They hope following the first release, they will be able to begin using licensed college teams, including logos, stadiums, uniform design, fight songs, and unique traditions. The rosters will be randomized and won't feature players with likeness. The first release will feature a similar setup to our current FBS, with bowls and a 4-team playoff. It will also feature a setting similar to NCAA Football's "Dynasty" that will let you play multiple seasons with a team, recruit 1-star to 5-star players, win championships, sign coaching contracts with other teams, etc.

They've been working on developing this game for two to three years now, and it looks like its finally starting to jump the hurdles in order to make sure when this game comes out, it won't run into any immediate legal issues. The game producers recently received a $5-million investment in the game, so things are starting to roll right along.

Here's a link to the video game's website: https://www.imackulatevisiongaming.com/g...champions/

[Image: Screen-Shot-2018-04-23-at-9.46.47-AM-718...0x1340.png]

[Image: Playoffs.jpg?format=1000w&conten...age%2Fjpeg]

[Image: DifferentUnis_Web.jpg?format=1500w&a...age%2Fjpeg]
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 11:51 AM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
07-29-2019 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Demoralizer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgia Souther
RE: Troy grads creating new version of NCAA Football game
(07-29-2019 11:50 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  There are a couple of Troy graduates that have led the effort to create a new video game called Gridiron Champions that will basically be the revival of the NCAA Football game we've all missed.

The first release of the game won't feature licensed college football teams. They hope following the first release, they will be able to begin using licensed college teams, including logos, stadiums, uniform design, fight songs, and unique traditions. The rosters will be randomized and won't feature players with likeness. The first release will feature a similar setup to our current FBS, with bowls and a 4-team playoff. It will also feature a setting similar to NCAA Football's "Dynasty" that will let you play multiple seasons with a team, recruit 1-star to 5-star players, win championships, sign coaching contracts with other teams, etc.

They've been working on developing this game for two to three years now, and it looks like its finally starting to jump the hurdles in order to make sure when this game comes out, it won't run into any immediate legal issues. The game producers recently received a $5-million investment in the game, so things are starting to roll right along.

Here's a link to the video game's website: https://www.imackulatevisiongaming.com/g...champions/

Fantastic news. And all they need is a TeamBuilder-like feature like they had in 14. Create the shell of the game, and let the community be responsible for the rosters, likenesses, stadiums, coaches, and whatever else can be customized. Avoid legal issues and basically crowd source keeping the game up to date.
07-29-2019 12:03 PM

(07-29-2019 12:03 PM)The Demoralizer Wrote:  Fantastic news. And all they need is a TeamBuilder-like feature like they had in 14. Create the shell of the game, and let the community be responsible for the rosters, likenesses, stadiums, coaches, and whatever else can be customized. Avoid legal issues and basically crowd source keeping the game up to date.

It actually will have this feature, called the "Creation Center". That will probably be the main feature of the game that makes it sell. You will be able to customize rosters, teams, stadiums, conferences, uniforms, and upload your own team logos.
07-29-2019 12:12 PM
beav910 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: App State
I remember seeing something about this on Reddit. I guess it's still a year or so away? I haven't seen any gameplay.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 01:24 PM by beav910.)
07-29-2019 01:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
I'm curious as to how they will acquire the rights to these football brands including NLIs. It's not going to be a trade-off. They will likely have to shell out some real cash.
07-29-2019 01:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Demoralizer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgia Souther
(07-29-2019 01:31 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I'm curious as to how they will acquire the rights to these football brands including NLIs. It's not going to be a trade-off. They will likely have to shell out some real cash.

Not sure I'm following with the NLI's. Is that something that is branded?

If you mean brands for the teams/conferences, all of that could be created and uploaded via the community and unofficially reused. However, I wonder what recourse the NCAA would have if this game created a platform on which copyrighted materials (I'm assuming that's the right terminology for brands and logos) are shared. Much like there are restrictions on music that can be used on YouTube, I wonder if the NCAA, or the individual conferences/teams, will attack this.
07-29-2019 01:41 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(07-29-2019 01:41 PM)The Demoralizer Wrote:  
(07-29-2019 01:31 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I'm curious as to how they will acquire the rights to these football brands including NLIs. It's not going to be a trade-off. They will likely have to shell out some real cash.

Not sure I'm following with the NLI's. Is that something that is branded?

If you mean brands for the teams/conferences, all of that could be created and uploaded via the community and unofficially reused. However, I wonder what recourse the NCAA would have if this game created a platform on which copyrighted materials (I'm assuming that's the right terminology for brands and logos) are shared. Much like there are restrictions on music that can be used on YouTube, I wonder if the NCAA, or the individual conferences/teams, will attack this.

This is what I'm saying. If the game is not sold, but instead freely distributed, it is still well within the laws of copyright infringement, but is less likely to be an issue. $5M investments say this game will be sold, and would ripe for law suits unless the proper rights have been secured.

I meant to say NIL (name, image, and likeness), and not NLI (national letter of intent). Got my wires crossed.

From wikipedia: The right of publicity is defined as the right of every individual to control commercial use of his name, image, likeness, or some other identifying aspect of identity, limited (under U.S. law) by the First Amendment.

Just making an assumption, but I assume this would be an issue with many players, especially those who are in favor of paying players at the collegiate level. Everyone's going to want a piece. I assume a company like EA at one point had the money to buy the rights. It's also possible that with a game like this, NILs are dealt with as a collective entity under the umbrella of the NCAA, but I'm not sure.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019 02:45 PM by TroyFootball05.)
07-29-2019 02:45 PM
Advertisement

gsuwinsudont Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Hate to say it but this project has appeared to be a scam from the jump. Look for Doug Flutie’s Maximum football that comes out this fall if you want to scratch your college gaming itch.
07-30-2019 01:06 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(07-29-2019 11:50 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  There are a couple of Troy graduates that have led the effort to create a new video game called Gridiron Champions that will basically be the revival of the NCAA Football game we've all missed.

looks good!!!
07-30-2019 01:39 AM

(07-30-2019 01:06 AM)gsuwinsudont Wrote:  Hate to say it but this project has appeared to be a scam from the jump. Look for Doug Flutie’s Maximum football that comes out this fall if you want to scratch your college gaming itch.

It's not a scam. That's a just a reddit conspiracy theory because it has taken so long to get the game going. They've had more financial hurdles to get over than some of these other, more established game developers.
07-30-2019 09:27 AM
Advertisement

gsuwinsudont Offline
Water Engineer

(07-30-2019 09:27 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 01:06 AM)gsuwinsudont Wrote:  Hate to say it but this project has appeared to be a scam from the jump. Look for Doug Flutie’s Maximum football that comes out this fall if you want to scratch your college gaming itch.

It's not a scam. That's a just a reddit conspiracy theory because it has taken so long to get the game going. They've had more financial hurdles to get over than some of these other, more established game developers.

If it was just on reddit then I’d brush it off. Financial backers are getting no response from the developers. Their twitter account just went protected and anyone who asks about the status of the project gets blocked. Their Facebook page is gone as well. Meanwhile no meaningful progress has been made since the project was announced in 2016. Looking at this logically which scenario is more likely? This is vaporware or a fully formed game will hit the shelves in 2020?
07-30-2019 11:43 AM

(07-30-2019 11:43 AM)gsuwinsudont Wrote:  

If it was just on reddit then I’d brush it off. Financial backers are getting no response from the developers. Their twitter account just went protected and anyone who asks about the status of the project gets blocked. Their Facebook page is gone as well. Meanwhile no meaningful progress has been made since the project was announced in 2016. Looking at this logically which scenario is more likely? This is vaporware or a fully formed game will hit the shelves in 2020?

On April 25, they announced an agreement with FloNamix for a $5-million investment, and FloNamix in turn received a portion of ownership of the company. On May 19, they filed a Form D with the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission. So they haven't been absent from this process.

The slow progress is probably because of finances. They started this whole thing from scratch.
07-30-2019 11:56 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I don't know a great deal about game development, but I've always heard that development of console games usually requires a deeper understanding of hardware and lower-level programming languages than developing PC games and for that reason a lot of teams that build PC games are never able to finish console versions of those games.

And sports games are one genre that I just don't think are going to sell well if they are exclusively on PC.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019 12:18 PM by EigenEagle.)
07-30-2019 12:11 PM
gsuwinsudont Offline
Water Engineer

(07-30-2019 11:56 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 11:43 AM)gsuwinsudont Wrote:  

On April 25, they announced an agreement with FloNamix for a $5-million investment, and FloNamix in turn received a portion of ownership of the company. On May 19, they filed a Form D with the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission. So they haven't been absent from this process.

The slow progress is probably because of finances. They started this whole thing from scratch.

Hey man I wanted this to be real too but there are too many red flags out there. Go beyond their website to get the real information people have gathered. What clinched it for me was finding out that Flonamix was worth in whole of 10,000 dollars and the address for their headquarters was a house. How were they buying in for 5 million dollars???
07-30-2019 12:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.