Bookmark and Share
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Fansided’s Hilariously Off 2019 Preseason Rankings
Bound to ruffle some feathers...

https://fansided.com/2019/07/25/college-...ssion=true

82. Georgia Southern

- There is little room between the top-ranked team in the Sun Belt, and the bottom half. In fact, No. 1 Georgia Southern would be just a 0.06-point favorite over rivals No. 6 Appalachian State on the road Oct. 31, according to CFB Winning Edge 2019 FBS Preseason Projections. Led by quarterback Shai Werts and three All-Conference defenders (including the top cornerback duo among all G5 programs), the Eagles are the top-ranked team in the league, but the margins are razor-thin. Southern plays six games in which it has between a 45 percent and 66 percent chance of winning.

86. Louisiana

- Louisiana made a surprise run to the Sun Belt Championship Game in Billy Napier’s first season, and enough talent returns to make the Ragin’ Cajuns the favorite to represent the West division again in 2019. Offensively, running back duo Trey Ragas and Elijah Mitchell is arguably the best in the conference, and they will run behind an offensive line that returns five starters, all of whom are seniors. Both units rank second in the Sun Belt and among the Top 50 nationally.

87. Troy

- Quarterback Kaleb Barker is back from injury and B.J. Smith is one of the best running backs in the Sun Belt. That talented duo, along with an offensive line led by All-Conference performer Kirk Kelley and three other returning starters, should give new head coach (and former Auburn offensive coordinator) Chip Lindsey a solid foundation to work with offensively. However, the top three wide receivers are gone from last year’s 10-win team.

92. Arkansas State

- Arkansas State returns two All-Conference performers on the defensive line in William Bradley-King and Forrest Merrill, and another in the secondary in Jerry Jacobs. Not surprisingly, the Red Wolves rank No. 1 in the Sun Belt in defensive Roster Strength. The offense, which must replace the school’s second all-time leading passer, also returns the No. 1 receiving unit in the conference, highlighted by another All-SBC performer, Kirk Merritt.

96. ULM

- ULM ranks No. 1 in the Sun Belt and No. 42 overall in O-Line Strength. Even better, the Warhawks welcome back all five starters from last year’s unit, who will block for arguably the No. 1 quarterback in the conference in Caleb Evans.

Evans lost three of his four favorite targets from last year, including R.J. Turner, who transferred to Texas Tech. The Warhawks must also find a top ball carrier, and replace their top two tacklers, including linebacker David Griffith, who led the team in tackles, sacks and tackles for loss.

99. App State

- Our Appalachian State projection is likely to raise quite a few eyebrows. After all, the Mountaineers were 11-2 last season, won the inaugural Sun Belt Conference Championship Game, and haven’t lost more than one conference game since 2013. Oh, and 10 starters return on offense, including All-Conference quarterback Zac Thomas, running back Darrynton Evans and center Noah Hannon.

App State ranks highly in several categories, including No. 1 overall offensively in the Sun Belt in Roster Strength (No. 70 nationally). However, the transition from Scott Satterfield (83.09 Head Coach rating, No. 50) to Eli Drinkwitz (73.37, No. 108) is a big downgrade on paper.

114. Texas State

- Texas State made one of the most intriguing coaching hires of the offseason by tabbing West Virginia offensive coordinator Jake Spavital to lead the Bobcats program. Spavital then made one of the more interesting offensive coordinator hires of the coaching carousel, adding former Montana head coach Bob Still to call plays.

However, it’s defensive coordinator Zac Spavital who has the most talent to work with, including senior Bryan London II, who was one of our top 100 players for the 2019 college football season. London leads a linebacker corps that ranks No. 30 overall and first in the Sun Belt in Roster Strength.

118. South Alabama

- There are just two players from Sun Belt Conference teams with a 100 rating according to the VGR+ formula, and South Alabama has one in defensive back Jalen Thompson. The Jags also boast a 93.5-rated defensive end in Tyree Turner. Running back Tra Minter (89.2) ran for 801 yards, gained 201 receiving yards and added 801 return yards in Year 1 of the Steve Campbell era.

125. Georgia State

- The Panthers ranked 129th in yards per play (7.73) and No. 125 in total defense (489.5) in 2018. The unit should improve, and linebacker Ed Curney and nose guard Dontae Wilson are building blocks. Quarterback Dan Ellington is a dangerous runner, and receiver Cornelius McCoy should step up to be Ellington’s top target following the departure of Penny Hart. The left side of the offensive line – tackle Hunter Atkinson and guard Quion Gilmore, who have combined to make 59 starts – are one of the best combos in the conference.

128. Coastal Carolina

- Coastal Carolina played its first FBS schedule in 2018, so it should be no surprise the Chanticleers rank No. 130 in overall Roster Strength. Running back C.J. Marable and defensive end Tarron Jackson are All-Sun Belt Conference candidates. Several transfers from big-time programs, including receiver Samuel Denmark (Virginia Tech) and former Clemson defensive lineman Sterling Johnson, should keep Jamey Chadwell’s squad competitive in league play.
07-25-2019 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Fansided’s Hilariously Off 2019 Preseason Rankings
I'm not saying this is going to be the final standings - but at least it's not what most other predictions do and basically repeat last years order of finish.
07-25-2019 03:57 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
When you pick the favorite to not finish in the top 5 you're fishing for clicks.

Funny how Troy didn't get a -5 spot placement because of their new coach. But, alas, always nice to read about the conference.
07-25-2019 04:01 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(07-25-2019 04:01 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  When you pick the favorite to not finish in the top 5 you're fishing for clicks.

Funny how Troy didn't get a -5 spot placement because of their new coach. But, alas, always nice to read about the conference.

Their predictions are done by a mathematical formula so it's not really click bait. So it could be a number of factors that led to Troy being ranked higher than App. I'm guessing they probably have Troy's new coach scored higher than yours.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2019 04:05 PM by TrueBlueAlum.)
07-25-2019 04:04 PM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

¯\_(%)_/¯
07-25-2019 04:15 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Just in case anyone was wondering, yes, he does have Tennessee and FSU in his top 25 07-coffee3
07-25-2019 04:35 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-25-2019 03:50 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  118. South Alabama

- There are just two players from Sun Belt Conference teams with a 100 rating according to the VGR+ formula, and South Alabama has one in defensive back Jalen Thompson. The Jags also boast a 93.5-rated defensive end in Tyree Turner. Running back Tra Minter (89.2) ran for 801 yards, gained 201 receiving yards and added 801 return yards in Year 1 of the Steve Campbell era.

Eh, What?

I mean, no offense to Thompson, but he's not a top-5 DB in this conference, let alone a top 2 player.

I'm guessing fan sided is rating rosters by ESPN's recruiting rankings, which would explain why there are 6 CUSA teams rated higher than any Sun Belt team (laughable).
07-25-2019 05:17 PM
Advertisement

USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(07-25-2019 05:17 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(07-25-2019 03:50 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  118. South Alabama

Eh, What?

I mean, no offense to Thompson, but he's not a top-5 DB in this conference, let alone a top 2 player.

I'm guessing fan sided is rating rosters by ESPN's recruiting rankings, which would explain why there are 6 CUSA teams rated higher than any Sun Belt team (laughable).

Not that I think he is a top 2 overall player, but Jalen is pretty good. He’s the highest profile player we’ve ever had commit. His biggest weakness is his tackling leaves much to be desired. His stats are not great, but I would put his coverage skills against any DB in the conference. There is a reason he had multiple legitimate (committable) SEC offers.

Hopefully the defensive line can get something remotely close to QB pressure and give him a better chance to show off this season. It’s hard to be a great DB when the QBs have days to make reads and decisions.

As far as the rest of the article, it’s what you expect considering the source.
07-25-2019 06:19 PM
troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
Congrats, suthern.
07-25-2019 08:14 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I mean, I love seeing us predicted to finish at the top of the conference and all, but this is a joke overall
07-25-2019 09:23 PM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-25-2019 08:14 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  Congrats, suthern.

Oh, hush. Just because they picked us to do well doesn't mean we won't.
07-25-2019 09:31 PM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
He might be right. If he is, good for him.

He won’t be, though. (And if I’m right, good for me).
07-25-2019 10:56 PM
wb247 Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-25-2019 04:04 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  
(07-25-2019 04:01 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  When you pick the favorite to not finish in the top 5 you're fishing for clicks.

Their predictions are done by a mathematical formula so it's not really click bait. So it could be a number of factors that led to Troy being ranked higher than App. I'm guessing they probably have Troy's new coach scored higher than yours.

...and who chose which parameters to include in the formula and how much each would be weighted? How many times did they run and revise their formula to achieve the results they wanted? Click bait...
07-25-2019 11:42 PM
Advertisement

APPrising Offline
1st String

Forget the order of finish, if we are all ranked 82 or worse, who cares?
07-26-2019 07:12 AM
debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
In my completely unbiased opinion, I like this ranking. SB West > SB East 02-13-banana
07-26-2019 09:06 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(07-25-2019 04:04 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  

One thing I learned when playing with formulas in excel is this: if the result looks incorrect, it probably is. The next step? Tinker with the formula.

Clearly that isn't the case in established research but this is football.

Also, mathematical formulas can be subject to bias which is why weights can be built in to different variables that may account for too much or too little effect.
07-29-2019 11:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.