Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC Stories
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
ACC Stories
I got one for ya’ll. I’m going by memory, but generally it’s pretty good though a few details may be factually incorrect, but I want to tell you about the journey FSU took to get into the ACC. I was reading an online article several years ago from I think was a Jacksonsille, FL newspaper that detailed the events and people involved in the process. So I’ll retell the story as I remember it, feel free to correct or add to the details.

It was 1990, FSU was in the early years of its dynasty run that spanned from 1987-2000. Independence in football was starting to become no longer viable and certain long standing conferences in the mid-west were starting to crumble, the college landscape was changing and fortunately for the ACC they had a strong leader named Gene Corrigan that saw it coming and realized they needed to improve its brand in football. FSU has always pined to be in the SEC, but was always rejected. Bob Goins was the president at FSU at this time, him and Gene hit it off and seemed impressed with FSUs academic progress and athletic department so he made a play for FSU to join the ACC. Gene went back to Greensboro to get a straw mans vote in favor of bringing FSU to the ACC, it passed 6-2 with Wake and UMd being against it.

Meanwhile the SEC started to over hear all of this and realized the ACC was seriously considering this move. So the SEC finally puts out a feeler and shows interest toward FSU. Bobby Bowden of course was raised in Alabama and was very pro-SEC. Bob Goins asked Bobby Bowden to just listen to the ACCs presentation first and both men were very impressed by it. The SEC also made a presentation but the feeling in the room was “we are the SEC, why would not you want to join?” That sold FSU on the ACC. When it was clear the ACC won FSU over, the SEC withdrew its invite then to save face they denied there was ever an invite. They of course expanded with South Carolina, Arkansas and Miss. St. Some would say Bowden was scared to play an SEC schedule, partly because of something he said a little later on about the SEC being so tough, but that was Bobby being gracious, FSU was already playing many of those teams as well as having Miami every year. Besides that, FSU really wanted to raise its academic profile and the ACC was making the most money at the time.

Back in Greensboro, it was time for an official vote. Gene Corrigan confident that this would pass based on the previous unofficial vote would be shocked when UVA flipped their vote to a “no” along with Wake and UMd. This angered Gene and I can imagine after some strong words an emergency re-vote was called in which then FSU got the necessary votes.

FSU played its first season in the ACC in 1992. Both the ACC and FSU has benefited tremendously from this relationship as evidenced by FSUs 3 national championships, 3 Heisman winners and a marked improvement in academic rankings. The ACC would benefit as tv would become more and more of an important revenue stream with football leading the way.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2019 12:28 PM by Garrettabc.)
07-19-2019 06:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wolfman Online
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
RE: ACC Stories
Mississippi State was a founding member of the SEC (1932).

I remember reading reports that Bowden thought the ACC would be an easier path to the NC.

I also read an article that Corrigan wanted to talk to Penn State at the same time (maybe earlier). The presidents said no.
07-19-2019 10:29 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Nobody else has a (hi)story? Ok I’ll go again.

It’s about FSU’s history with UofL. I won’t worry about going back to the Metro conference days because I was little too young to get the full perspective, but I know FSU had some heated basketball games with them.

Let’s fast forward in time to the peak Dynasty years. It was either 1999 or 2000, FSU hosted UofL in football, by then the Cards were in C-USA. I seem to remember them coming in cocky, I thought one of the players was quoted as “we are going to shock the world” or something like that. To their credit, they did play FSU relatively close. Those words may have been prophetic because in 2002 FSU would do the return trip to Louisville. I specifically remember it was Thursday night game and I had a prior engagement and missed most of the game catching only the 4th qtr and OT. FSU was ranked #1 with a lot of hype going into that season. The OL was supposed be the strength of team and the best in the nation. In hindsight, the game probably should have been cancelled as the game was being played on the fringes of a hurricane (probably would have been cancelled if played today). FSU was ahead when I tuned in, but you can see one team slipping all over the field while the other seemed to have their traction and played with more energy. Even before the game was eventually tied late in the 4th, I knew FSU needed a lucky break or a forced TO. That luck never came as FSU lost in OT.

2002 was a season of disappointments. FSU lost another heartbreaker to Miami as well as accumulating a few other losses in conferences. During this time FSU had some QB issues including the 2nd string QB stealing a blank check from local business, then getting kicked off the team for it. And the much maligned Chris Rix sleeping through his final exams and missing the bowl game. Tough year for us Nole fans and really just a portent for things to come during the “Lost Decade”.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2019 11:22 AM by Garrettabc.)
07-21-2019 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(07-19-2019 10:29 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Mississippi State was a founding member of the SEC (1932).

I remember reading reports that Bowden thought the ACC would be an easier path to the NC.

I also read an article that Corrigan wanted to talk to Penn State at the same time (maybe earlier). The presidents said no.

There were also reports that there were some contacts between Florida and the ACC at that time. It may have just been Spurrier rather than the AD, though. Remember at that time the ACC had the highest conference revenues of any conference and every school was getting big contributions from those wanting tournament tickets. Tournament tickets at that time sold on par with Masters tickets. Of course, the revenues at that time were trivial in comparison to today’s revenues.
07-21-2019 11:36 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(07-21-2019 11:36 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(07-19-2019 10:29 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Mississippi State was a founding member of the SEC (1932).

There were also reports that there were some contacts between Florida and the ACC at that time. It may have just been Spurrier rather than the AD, though. Remember at that time the ACC had the highest conference revenues of any conference and every school was getting big contributions from those wanting tournament tickets. Tournament tickets at that time sold on par with Masters tickets. Of course, the revenues at that time were trivial in comparison to today’s revenues.

Serious talks with Florida were in the 70's.
07-21-2019 11:40 AM
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(07-21-2019 11:21 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Nobody else has a (hi)story? Ok I’ll go again.

It’s about FSU’s history with UofL. I won’t worry about going back to the Metro conference days because I was little too young to get the full perspective, but I know FSU had some heated basketball games with them.

Let’s fast forward in time to the peak Dynasty years. It was either 1999 or 2000, FSU hosted UofL in football, by then the Cards were in C-USA. I seem to remember them coming in cocky, I thought one of the players was quoted as “we are going to shock the world” or something like that. To their credit, they did play FSU relatively close. Those words may have been prophetic because in 2002 FSU would do the return trip to Louisville. I specifically remember it was Thursday night game and I had a prior engagement and missed most of the game catching only the 4th qtr and OT. FSU was ranked #1 with a lot of hype going into that season. The OL was supposed be the strength of team and the best in the nation. In hindsight, the game probably should have been cancelled as the game was being played on the fringes of a hurricane (probably would have been cancelled if played today). FSU was ahead when I tuned in, but you can see one team slipping all over the field while the other seemed to have their traction and played with more energy. Even before the game was eventually tied late in the 4th, I knew FSU needed a lucky break or a forced TO. That luck never came as FSU lost in OT.

2002 was a season of disappointments. FSU lost another heartbreaker to Miami as well as accumulating a few other losses in conferences. During this time FSU had some QB issues including the 2nd string QB stealing a blank check from local business, then getting kicked off the team for it. And the much maligned Chris Rix sleeping through his final exams and missing the bowl game. Tough year for us Nole fans and really just a portent for things to come during the “Lost Decade”.

Chris Rix was awful

At least FSU didn't fall as hard as schools like Tennessee and Nebraska

I still don't know how FSU lost to Oklahoma in 2000...I don't think that OU team were exactly world beaters
07-21-2019 12:57 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(07-21-2019 11:40 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(07-21-2019 11:36 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Serious talks with Florida were in the 70's.

I’m pretty sure it was in the 90s after Spurrier left Duke to become head coach at Florida.

BTW I’m still angry that Duke didn’t match Florida’s offer to Spurrier. You may think Duke would have had no hope of keeping Spurrier but he loved it at Duke. I think he’s said he enjoyed his days at Duke more than any of his other jobs. Tom Butters did some great things at Duke but he blew that one.
07-21-2019 03:03 PM
Advertisement

Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
I have been under the impression that FSU left the Metro conference because stupid Louisville was too scared to make it a football league.

Fact or fiction?
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2019 07:45 AM by Def Berkkat.)
07-22-2019 07:45 AM
Wolfman Online
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Back in the 80s, some friends and I went to see the US Olympic basketball team at the Greensboro Coliseum. Pre-chair-slinging Bobby Knight was the coach. A young Duke coach with a name nobody could pronounce was the assistant. I guess the assistant coaches get to bring 1 player with them. That player turned out to be a kid named Johnny Dawkins. Dawkins was good but certainly not one of the top players in the country. At least not at that time.

The coliseum was near capacity. We were sitting on the upper level with our backs to the wall. As expected, it was a blow out so the crowd was muted. I imagine Knight thinking something like, "This is supposed to be basketball country??"

As the game went on, a "gentleman" sitting near us, fueled by large quantities of liquid courage began to shout, "Put in Johnny D!" Surprisingly, it had no effect. With a couple of minutes to go, the gentleman stumbled down the steps and nearly over the railing. After being pulled back by another fan, he shouted, "PUT...IN...JOHNNY...D!" It was quiet and he was loud but I swear he tore a vocal cord or three.

The crowd began to chant JOHN-NEE-DEE! Still no effect on Knight. With a minute or so left, the Duke coach, likely without Knights permission or knowledge, puts Dawkins in. The bomb went off. The crowd was on its feet. I didn't think it could get any louder. Then Dawkins make a simple layup. It was deafening. The best part was the look on Knights face. Something between "how did he get in the game?" and "all that for a layup?"

I wonder what became of that young Duke coach??
07-22-2019 09:58 AM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(07-22-2019 09:58 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  I wonder what became of that young Duke coach??

He became a model for Just For Men hair coloring products. 03-thumbsup
07-22-2019 10:14 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(07-22-2019 09:58 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  Back in the 80s, some friends and I went to see the US Olympic basketball team at the Greensboro Coliseum. Pre-chair-slinging Bobby Knight was the coach. A young Duke coach with a name nobody could pronounce was the assistant. I guess the assistant coaches get to bring 1 player with them. That player turned out to be a kid named Johnny Dawkins. Dawkins was good but certainly not one of the top players in the country. At least not at that time.

The coliseum was near capacity. We were sitting on the upper level with our backs to the wall. As expected, it was a blow out so the crowd was muted. I imagine Knight thinking something like, "This is supposed to be basketball country??"

As the game went on, a "gentleman" sitting near us, fueled by large quantities of liquid courage began to shout, "Put in Johnny D!" Surprisingly, it had no effect. With a couple of minutes to go, the gentleman stumbled down the steps and nearly over the railing. After being pulled back by another fan, he shouted, "PUT...IN...JOHNNY...D!" It was quiet and he was loud but I swear he tore a vocal cord or three.

The crowd began to chant JOHN-NEE-DEE! Still no effect on Knight. With a minute or so left, the Duke coach, likely without Knights permission or knowledge, puts Dawkins in. The bomb went off. The crowd was on its feet. I didn't think it could get any louder. Then Dawkins make a simple layup. It was deafening. The best part was the look on Knights face. Something between "how did he get in the game?" and "all that for a layup?"

I wonder what became of that young Duke coach??

He became the OLD Duke coach.
07-22-2019 11:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.