Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN renegotiation clause
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
According to this source, the renegotiation clause did NOT include UConn, but only included Cincinnati, Houston, USF, UCF, and Memphis. If the AAC lost one of those schools, ESPN could renegotiate contract.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/...057439.php

On a conference call early this week, American Athletic Conference presidents listened as Susan Herbst, president of the University of Connecticut, outlined her school’s plan to depart for the Big East and hope to remain as a football-only member.

“It was a no,” a source with knowledge of the call said Thursday. “It wasn’t just a no … it was not happening.”

AAC commissioner Mike Aresco released a one-paragraph statement.

“We wish UConn well,” the statement partly read.

Translation: Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Asked about UConn’s decision to leave, Pezman said: “They made a decision in their best interest; we’re going to make decisions that are in ours.”

In an interview with the Houston Chronicle late Thursday, Aresco said the AAC has no interest in keeping UConn as a football-only member.

The AAC has a “very small list” of potential expansion candidates, according to a source, that is believed to only seriously include BYU and Army.

Another important issue revolves around what impact if any, UConn’s departure will have on the league’s new media rights deal that goes into effect in 2020. The $1 billion deal has a clause that would allow ESPN to renegotiate if a member leaves, according to the Sports Business Journal. A source said the clause is specifically tied to five schools (Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Memphis and South Florida), which UConn was not included.

Under the current terms, each AAC school was projected to receive about $7 million annually. UConn’s departure could mean an additional $700,000 bump.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2019 10:46 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
06-27-2019 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF, UofH, AAC!
RE: ESPN renegotiation clause
Haha... USF made the cut? Last contract we were not in ESPNs Tier 1 list... or whatever they called it...
06-27-2019 10:44 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
(06-27-2019 10:38 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  On a conference call early this week, American Athletic Conference presidents listened as Susan Herbst, president of the University of Connecticut, outlined her school’s plan to depart for the Big East and hope to remain as a football-only member.

Have to admit, that takes balls. She probably knew it was hopeless, but might as well try I suppose.
06-27-2019 10:45 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-27-2019 10:45 PM)NothingButKnight Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 10:38 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  On a conference call early this week, American Athletic Conference presidents listened as Susan Herbst, president of the University of Connecticut, outlined her school’s plan to depart for the Big East and hope to remain as a football-only member.

Have to admit, that takes balls. She probably knew it was hopeless, but might as well try I suppose.
About a year ago, she announced that was planning to retire this (2019) summer. I don’t know if that is still her plan, or not. Could be that by making these athletics-related decisions in the final days of her tenure, she believed she would be leaving a clean slate for her successor to work with.
06-28-2019 12:54 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-27-2019 10:38 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  According to this source, the renegotiation clause did NOT include UConn, but only included Cincinnati, Houston, USF, UCF, and Memphis. If the AAC lost one of those schools, ESPN could renegotiate contract.

On a conference call early this week, American Athletic Conference presidents listened as Susan Herbst, president of the University of Connecticut, outlined her school’s plan to depart for the Big East and hope to remain as a football-only member.

“It was a no,” a source with knowledge of the call said Thursday. “It wasn’t just a no … it was not happening.”

Asked about UConn’s decision to leave, Pezman said: “They made a decision in their best interest; we’re going to make decisions that are in ours.”

In an interview with the Houston Chronicle late Thursday, Aresco said the AAC has no interest in keeping UConn as a football-only member.

The AAC has a “very small list” of potential expansion candidates, according to a source, that is believed to only seriously include BYU and Army.

Another important issue revolves around what impact if any, UConn’s departure will have on the league’s new media rights deal that goes into effect in 2020. The $1 billion deal has a clause that would allow ESPN to renegotiate if a member leaves, according to the Sports Business Journal. A source said the clause is specifically tied to five schools (Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Memphis and South Florida), which [size=large][b]UConn was not included.[/size]

[/b]Under the current terms, each AAC school was projected to receive about $7 million annually. UConn’s departure could mean an additional $700,000 bump.

UCONN WAS NOT INCLUDED......lol----So now we know the real reason they were so mad about the new deal.

On a serious note, I wonder if this clause contributed to the line of thinking within the UConn administration that they were wasting their time gridning away in the AAC with their football program hoping for a promotion to a P5 in the next wave of realignment.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2019 01:07 AM by Attackcoog.)
06-28-2019 01:04 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

For the record, Gladchuck was right.

The old NBC Group A was Uconn, Cincy, Temple and Houston. Oh how the NE has fallen.
06-28-2019 06:35 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(06-27-2019 10:38 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  According to this source, the renegotiation clause did NOT include UConn, but only included Cincinnati, Houston, USF, UCF, and Memphis. If the AAC lost one of those schools, ESPN could renegotiate contract.

Another important issue revolves around what impact if any, UConn’s departure will have on the league’s new media rights deal that goes into effect in 2020. The $1 billion deal has a clause that would allow ESPN to renegotiate if a member leaves, according to the Sports Business Journal. A source said the clause is specifically tied to five schools (Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Memphis and South Florida), which UConn was not included.

Under the current terms, each AAC school was projected to receive about $7 million annually. UConn’s departure could mean an additional $700,000 bump.

Wonder why Temple didn't make the cut this time? I assume its based on numbers (viewers/ratings)?
06-28-2019 06:49 AM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(06-28-2019 06:48 AM)IamYourDad Wrote:  Why is USF on the list? 03-lol

Because UCF would die like over ripened fruit on the vine without us. COGS
06-28-2019 06:51 AM
IamYourDad Offline
Banned

I Root For: UCF
(06-28-2019 06:51 AM)Mestophalies Wrote:  

The War on I-4 is your only glimmer of hope each year for a little bit of happiness. Obviously you will never reach it, because you will never beat us. BUT - It's better than watching Charlie run the HB Dive every play with no end in sight
06-28-2019 07:02 AM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

(06-28-2019 07:02 AM)IamYourDad Wrote:  

The War on I-4 is your only glimmer of hope each year for a little bit of happiness. Obviously you will never reach it, because you will never beat us. BUT - It's better than watching Charlie run the HB Dive every play with no end in sight

Urm, who has the lead in that series??? You need to take your meds. I only posted because your fan base posts 3 out of their every 5 posts are 3 concerning USF. Honestly, I'd still want USF out of the AAC. I'd rather not be viewed as an Associate, partner or coworker with UCF. thanks but, no thanks. 03-puke
06-28-2019 07:07 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Now you know who the GOR teams were.
06-28-2019 07:18 AM
Advertisement

IamYourDad Offline
Banned

(06-28-2019 07:07 AM)Mestophalies Wrote:  
(06-28-2019 07:02 AM)IamYourDad Wrote:  

Urm, who has the lead in that series??? You need to take your meds. I only posted because your fan base posts 3 out of their every 5 posts are 3 concerning USF. Honestly, I'd still want USF out of the AAC. I'd rather not be viewed as an Associate, partner or coworker with UCF. thanks but, no thanks. 03-puke

And go where? 03-lol USF should follow UCONN to either the FCS or Independency. Not sure any FBS conference takes you considering you never won a major bowl game, conference championship, or even a division 03-lol

You're only viewed as our completely powerless little brother. Be nice, and we won't beat you by 4 scores like last year
06-28-2019 07:20 AM
Nameless Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(06-28-2019 12:54 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

About a year ago, she announced that was planning to retire this (2019) summer. I don’t know if that is still her plan, or not. Could be that by making these athletics-related decisions in the final days of her tenure, she believed she would be leaving a clean slate for her successor to work with.

I'm not well connected with the program, so I can't verify the veracity of this, but those who are seem to pretty much unanimously say 2 things about her:

A.) She's clueless as a president, especially when it comes to sports.
B.) She's extremely selfish.

I've seen speculation that she wanted to move UConn to the Big East as a resume booster should she apply for another president position at another University. While the Big East is an interior conference to the AAC, the brand is still well known, and many casual fans across the country (but especially here in the Northeast) still associate UConn with the brand. Again, I have no idea how true the statements above are, but if they are indeed true, her potentially killing our football program to boost her resume wouldn't surprise me.
06-28-2019 10:05 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(06-28-2019 10:05 AM)Nameless Wrote:  

I'm not well connected with the program, so I can't verify the veracity of this, but those who are seem to pretty much unanimously say 2 things about her:

I've seen speculation that she wanted to move UConn to the Big East as a resume booster should she apply for another president position at another University. While the Big East is an interior conference to the AAC, the brand is still well known, and many casual fans across the country (but especially here in the Northeast) still associate UConn with the brand. Again, I have no idea how true the statements above are, but if they are indeed true, her potentially killing our football program to boost her resume wouldn't surprise me.

Dayum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-28-2019 10:39 AM
ElectricCoogaloo Offline
Special Teams

(06-28-2019 10:05 AM)Nameless Wrote:  

You have my condolences. That's brutal.
06-28-2019 10:40 AM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

(06-28-2019 01:04 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Another important issue revolves around what impact if any, UConn’s departure will have on the league’s new media rights deal that goes into effect in 2020. The $1 billion deal has a clause that would allow ESPN to renegotiate if a member leaves, according to the Sports Business Journal. A source said the clause is specifically tied to five schools (Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Memphis and South Florida), which [size=large][b]UConn was not included.[/size]

[/b]Under the current terms, each AAC school was projected to receive about $7 million annually. UConn’s departure could mean an additional $700,000 bump.

UCONN WAS NOT INCLUDED......lol----So now we know the real reason they were so mad about the new deal.

On a serious note, I wonder if this clause contributed to the line of thinking within the UConn administration that they were wasting their time gridning away in the AAC with their football program hoping for a promotion to a P5 in the next wave of realignment.

It could also show why Aresco is stating that staying at 11 is fine with him. The closer to 8 mill/team, the more satisfied I am.
06-28-2019 07:52 PM
Advertisement

bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
BYU and Army?

Wouldn't Air Force be much more competitive? I know Army is coming off a few good years, but in the long term it seems like a better bet. It is closer than BYU.
06-28-2019 08:47 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(06-28-2019 08:47 PM)bearcat29 Wrote:  BYU and Army?

Wouldn't Air Force be much more competitive? I know Army is coming off a few good years, but in the long term it seems like a better bet. It is closer than BYU.

I think so and it doesn't disrupt the Army-Navy arrangement.

Air Force is in Colorado but not as identifiably western as CSU. Saves Navy a non-con game and in the private school division.
06-28-2019 09:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
We aren’t going to see $1 billion for the AAC anymore. That’s the crux of the matter, per the sports-based business website The Morning Consult. Nick Dawson, VP of programming for ESPN, said that the deal was negotiated with UConn in mind, specifically its blue-chip basketball programs. There is a composition clause in the AAC-ESPN deal and it appears the Bristol-based network will exercise it. That means the 11-team conference will see less money. ESPN has big plans, it appears, for the women’s basketball program, and now all home rights for the basketball teams are owned by Fox Sports.

HOW MUCH IS UCONN REALLY WORTH? We guess the market is going to decide this. The deal is for 12 years and $1 billion with UConn in the conference. Now, with 11 teams — there is no worthy member to replace UConn — we’ll see how low it goes. We are guessing the difference is how much ESPN values UConn’s brand.

Link
https://morningconsult.com/2019/12/12/es...-big-east/
05-18-2020 06:33 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-18-2020 06:33 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  We aren’t going to see $1 billion for the AAC anymore. That’s the crux of the matter, per the sports-based business website The Morning Consult. Nick Dawson, VP of programming for ESPN, said that the deal was negotiated with UConn in mind, specifically its blue-chip basketball programs. There is a composition clause in the AAC-ESPN deal and it appears the Bristol-based network will exercise it. That means the 11-team conference will see less money. ESPN has big plans, it appears, for the women’s basketball program, and now all home rights for the basketball teams are owned by Fox Sports.

HOW MUCH IS UCONN REALLY WORTH? We guess the market is going to decide this. The deal is for 12 years and $1 billion with UConn in the conference. Now, with 11 teams — there is no worthy member to replace UConn — we’ll see how low it goes. We are guessing the difference is how much ESPN values UConn’s brand.

Link
https://morningconsult.com/2019/12/12/es...-big-east/

Sounds like you need to change your username to UConnFletch. G'damn, give it a rest already, not even UConn fans think their football team is going 8-4 this fall or that the AAC is going to get reamed by ESPN for UConn's departure.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2020 06:40 AM by CliftonAve.)
05-18-2020 06:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.