Cincy newspaper: AAC unlikely to replace UConn
Bookmark and Share
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Cincy newspaper: AAC unlikely to replace UConn
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/...553756001/

Quote:Initial conversations this week among league officials and representatives from member schools indicate the American Athletic Conference is unlikely to replace UConn, a source with close ties to the league told The Enquirer.

While the Huskies leaving for the Big East Conference diminishes the AAC's basketball brand, the conference will likely remain at 11 football-member schools because, despite speculation among national media outlets about potential additions on the gridiron, there doesn’t appear to be a school that would agree to join and add value to the league.

With 11 teams, the AAC could ditch divisions and instead pit the two teams with the highest national ranking at regular season's end in the conference championship game. That, the source said, would help raise the league’s profile and better position for a college football playoff spot and/or prestigious bowl bids.

(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 11:12 PM by UofMemphis.)
06-24-2019 11:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Cincy newspaper: AAC unlikely to replace UConn
(06-24-2019 11:05 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/...553756001/

Quote:Initial conversations this week among league officials and representatives from member schools indicate the American Athletic Conference is unlikely to replace UConn, a source with close ties to the league told The Enquirer.

While the Huskies leaving for the Big East Conference diminishes the AAC's basketball brand, the conference will likely remain at 11 football-member schools because, despite speculation among national media outlets about potential additions on the gridiron, there doesn’t appear to be a school that would agree to join and add value to the league.

With 11 teams, the AAC could ditch divisions and instead pit the two teams with the highest national ranking at regular season's end in the conference championship game. That, the source said, would help raise the league’s profile and better position for a college football playoff spot and/or prestigious bowl bids.

Thanks for the 48 hours of drama though!
06-24-2019 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Geez Thx. May be folks will now stop insulting and belittling conference mates on message boards. This shoudn't be a surprise to anyone if this is indeed what happens.
06-24-2019 11:10 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Setting them up for an explosion when a team gets plucked away?

When they lose Houston, UCF, Cincy, or Memphis, ESPN will cut that TV contract to ribbons.

Hope I live to see it.
06-24-2019 11:24 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

Translated: Better Pimp Loud!

This ain't going away anytime soon! LOL!
06-24-2019 11:33 PM
Jack Bauer Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
It’s sorta why I don’t want to go. They don’t care about basketball. Memphis and Cincy and UCD are looking for a lifeboat, and I don’t want to be stuck with Ecu,Tulane,Tulsa etc
06-24-2019 11:43 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators
(06-24-2019 11:43 PM)Jack Bauer Wrote:  It’s sorta why I don’t want to go. They don’t care about basketball. Memphis and Cincy and UCD are looking for a lifeboat, and I don’t want to be stuck with Ecu,Tulane,Tulsa etc

Cincy, Memphis, Houston, Temple, WSU, Tulsa, etc I like AAC hoops...
06-24-2019 11:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(06-24-2019 11:33 PM)USM@FTL Wrote:  Translated: Better Pimp Loud!

yeah, I figure this means the AAC will get a waiver...essentially we're kicking the can a few years until we're forced to make a decision.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 11:49 PM by UofMemphis.)
06-24-2019 11:47 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(06-24-2019 11:33 PM)USM@FTL Wrote:  Translated: Better Pimp Loud!

06-24-2019 11:58 PM
deb025 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
No need for the AAC to add anyone at this time. Give it a few years and see what happens with the Big 12.
06-25-2019 12:03 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2019 11:24 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Setting them up for an explosion when a team gets plucked away?

When they lose Houston, UCF, Cincy, or Memphis, ESPN will cut that TV contract to ribbons.

Hope I live to see it.

You seem awful bitter what did the other AAC schools do to you? Answer this question honestly. If you were a fan of those schools you would have been happy to leave S.Miss and the other CUSA schools behind?
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 12:11 AM by WKUYG.)
06-25-2019 12:04 AM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2019 11:46 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 11:43 PM)Jack Bauer Wrote:  It’s sorta why I don’t want to go. They don’t care about basketball. Memphis and Cincy and UCD are looking for a lifeboat, and I don’t want to be stuck with Ecu,Tulane,Tulsa etc

Cincy, Memphis, Houston, Temple, WSU, Tulsa, etc I like AAC hoops...

And they care a helluva lot more than most of CUSA west, along with FIU and FAU.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 12:14 AM by WKUYG.)
06-25-2019 12:09 AM
bit_9 Offline

(06-24-2019 11:05 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/...553756001/

duh. it's fun to pimp every now and then in the summer but that's the obvious choice. Hold tight, make bank, and see what shakes out in 2025/6.
06-25-2019 07:31 AM
hoppy785 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Marshall
The teams that help or at least don't hurt the P6 brand they've created don't want to join and in my opinion adding anyone else will make the P6 brand even more laughable than it is.

I think the conference sees the writing on the wall and will ride out this money as long as they can. The next round of shuffling will destroy one G5 conference and put all that's left on equal tv money.
06-25-2019 08:15 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(06-24-2019 11:10 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Geez Thx. May be folks will now stop insulting and belittling conference mates on message boards. This shoudn't be a surprise to anyone if this is indeed what happens.

And just like that people went from last week being normal, to the early part of this week CUSA members probably wanting other CUSA teams to lose OOC games to help their own cause, to now back to hoping other CUSA teams win as many OOC games as possible. 01-lauramac205-stirthepot
06-25-2019 09:07 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(06-25-2019 08:15 AM)hoppy785 Wrote:  The teams that help or at least don't hurt the P6 brand they've created don't want to join and in my opinion adding anyone else will make the P6 brand even more laughable than it is.

I think the conference sees the writing on the wall and will ride out this money as long as they can. The next round of shuffling will destroy one G5 conference and put all that's left on equal tv money.

Yes, imho the only teams the AAC would take would be BYU, SDSU, Boise, AF, and maybe Army. The western schools are problematic because of travel costs and BYU would want a special media deal. Army probably doesn't want to compete at the conference level since it already dropped out of Cusa 1.0.

So there's no need to expand for expansion's sake--Cusa 3.0 is a good example of that--and the loss of UConn football is no loss to AAC football and apparently no plus for any other conference since no one wants them.

If and when the B12 breaks up would be the only event I could foresee for AAC expansion.
06-25-2019 09:53 AM
Advertisement

12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(06-25-2019 09:07 AM)usm99 Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 11:10 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Geez Thx. May be folks will now stop insulting and belittling conference mates on message boards. This shoudn't be a surprise to anyone if this is indeed what happens.

And just like that people went from last week being normal, to the early part of this week CUSA members probably wanting other CUSA teams to lose OOC games to help their own cause, to now back to hoping other CUSA teams win as many OOC games as possible. 01-lauramac205-stirthepot

Yeah i saw someone say they wish UAB FB was dead and then kicked out of the conference so they don't compete with them for the spot. It was fun at beginning but turned real bad with pimping and belittling. The beauty of this thing is the obvious candidates BYU/Army/Airforce didn't have a single fan saying one way or the other its others that are clamouring. Anyways it was a fun couple of days in otherwise a boring off season.
06-25-2019 10:02 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(06-25-2019 10:02 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 09:07 AM)usm99 Wrote:  

Yeah i saw someone say they wish UAB FB was dead and then kicked out of the conference so they don't compete with them for the spot. It was fun at beginning but turned real bad with pimping and belittling. The beauty of this thing is the obvious candidates BYU/Army/Airforce didn't have a single fan saying one way or the other its others that are clamouring. Anyways it was a fun couple of days in otherwise a boring off season.

The AAC board was pretty bad when the whole conference was auditioning for the Big12, and then everyone went buddy-buddy after that charade folded. It will be even worse with any future expansion of the B12.
06-25-2019 10:08 AM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
It was fun while it lasted. Now back to who has the prettiest weather personality.
06-25-2019 10:13 AM
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
Looks like we are going remain one big happy family!
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 10:19 AM by jaminniner.)
06-25-2019 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.