Putting independence to bed.

06-24-2019 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Navy AD Speaks
Wait, does this put UConn independence to bed?

Anywho I think Buffalo would be a good replacement.
06-24-2019 07:49 PM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(06-24-2019 07:23 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Putting independence to bed.

Well I guess for the normal objective posters, this clears up a lot of the nonsensical scenarios out there. For the death to the AAC folks, ignore this thread and troll on.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 07:54 PM by Tigersmoke4.)
06-24-2019 07:52 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Sticking with 11 makes the most sense. AFA for football only could merit enough value to justify it.

11 also gives you the flexibility to go to 12 if someone east of the Rockies emerges as a perrenial challenger for the G5 NY6 slot and pluck them.
06-24-2019 08:04 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Some good info there.

Apparently, ESPN pays the American the same (or virtually the same) pot of money whether UConn is in the league or not.

I guess ESPN doesn't value schools who go 11-37 over six years of American football league play.
06-24-2019 08:08 PM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

(06-24-2019 08:08 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Some good info there.

Apparently, ESPN pays the American the same (or virtually the same) pot of money whether UConn is in the league or not.

I guess ESPN doesn't value schools who go 11-37 over six years of American football league play.

But But But UCONN was our most valuable brand. Is ESPN gone crazy!?!?04-jawdrop
06-24-2019 08:20 PM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Who else can walk & double their revenue?
06-24-2019 08:29 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(06-24-2019 08:29 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Who else can walk & double their revenue?

As much as the AAC complains about the P5 and NCAA not treating them fairly. Why do the fans think the CCG waiver is a sure bet. Especially if the AAC chooses not to add 12 team.

Council members adopted a proposal that originated with the Division I Football Oversight Committee but also approved an amendment from the Big Ten Conference. The amendment, offered by the Big Ten late last week, allows conferences with fewer than 12 members to hold championship games in football, as long as they meet one of two additional conditions: Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conferencestandings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic...-able-hold
06-24-2019 08:38 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(06-24-2019 08:20 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

They're getting your content for pennies, they really don't care enough to renegotiate. G5 content isn't that valuable, it's just to place into ESPN+. But don't be mistaken, you will only invite who they tell you to invite. If you say no then they will think hard about taking a look at your contract again.

To me the top choices for the AAC are Buffalo, ODU, Army (if they even want to be in a conference), UAB and WKU. I don't think any of the MWC schools are realistic options as the closest ones are the front range schools who would want to stick together.

As for UConn I think a FB only partnership with the MAC along with UMass to branch out into the North East and give Buffalo some regional rivals. Now some sort of BBall agreement would have to be made to make it agreeable for the MAC. Like a reverse ND/ACC agreement.
06-24-2019 08:38 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(06-24-2019 08:38 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

They're getting your content for pennies, they really don't care enough to renegotiate. G5 content isn't that valuable, it's just to place into ESPN+. But don't be mistaken, you will only invite who they tell you to invite. If you say no then they will think hard about taking a look at your contract again.

To me the top choices for the AAC are Buffalo, ODU, Army (if they even want to be in a conference), UAB and WKU. I don't think any of the MWC schools are realistic options as the closest ones are the front range schools who would want to stick together.

As for UConn I think a FB only partnership with the MAC along with UMass to branch out into the North East and give Buffalo some regional rivals. Now some sort of BBall agreement would have to be made to make it agreeable for the MAC. Like a reverse ND/ACC agreement.

I thought such hybrid deals were the devil...
06-24-2019 08:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
The most logical of those three is ODU. While Buffalo is a great choice from a sports perspective, it is an outpost. I think the AAC really benefits expanding but staying in the region. Other regional footprints would be

Arkansas
Mississippi
NC/SC
Alabama

I still think Football only school and VCU for basketball is the best choice. Based upon the current TV contracts, Football only will bring in more than SB/CUSA/MAC. VCU would probably take a WSU deal. I have stated App State for football. It has a proven record of success and transitions. Their transition form FCS to FBS has been seamless. I think if you ask the NC P5 schools which school would cause more issues going to the AAC, they would say App. They recruit and have a football atmosphere that is amazing, If you all don't take App, it will server the Big 4 in NC very well. Anyone who actually knows college football, knows App State. I would lay money thay they make a bowl first year in conference and challenging for the title with-in three years.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 09:05 PM by msm96wolf.)
06-24-2019 08:55 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

The point is whatever the AAC got be it $1 or $100,000,000 it wasn't because of our so called biggest brand and once again maybe UCONN has pissed ESPN off enough to juice the AAC up to spite them. Football drives the bus.07-coffee3
06-24-2019 08:58 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(06-24-2019 08:58 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

The point is whatever the AAC got be it $1 or $100,000,000 it wasn't because of our so called biggest brand and once again maybe UCONN has pissed ESPN off enough to juice the AAC up to spite them. Football drives the bus.07-coffee3

Content drives the bus and the G5 is cheap content. They will replace UConn with a ESPN approved member and things will move along. UConn was the biggest brand no matter how much AAC fans say other wise. It could have been Memphis, Houston or Cincy leaving and the AAC deal would also stay the same if it was just one team going. Thats because ESPN got your content wrapped up into the 2030's for pennies (relatively speaking).
06-24-2019 09:10 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(06-24-2019 08:46 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

Only when it's between two evil entities 05-stirthepot
06-24-2019 09:12 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE

I think some on here misunderstand the usage and meaning of the term brand.
The strongest brand is not necessarily the one that goes undefeated and appears in a NY6 bowl, nor is it necessarily the one that recently made a Sweet 16. UConn has had the highest levels of corporate sponsorship, advertising and licensing in the AAC. They clearly were the most valuable brand in that conference.

[Image: D9xPIYkX4AA7ilO.jpg:large]
06-24-2019 09:15 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2019 09:12 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

So UConn and the Big East are evil ? 05-stirthepot

I do find it ironic that a fan base (UConn) who incessantly trashed ND's hybrid deals and football independence are now embracing it as a great idea and one that works for.....them.
06-24-2019 09:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(06-24-2019 09:17 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 08:20 PM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  But But But UCONN was our most valuable brand. Is ESPN gone crazy!?!?04-jawdrop

I do find it ironic that a fan base (UConn) who incessantly trashed ND's hybrid deals and football independence are now embracing it as a great idea and one that works for.....them.

Well they aren't apples to apples. The Big East doesn't have FB unlike the ACC.
06-24-2019 09:27 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2019 09:27 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 09:17 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 08:38 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  They're getting your content for pennies, they really don't care enough to renegotiate. G5 content isn't that valuable, it's just to place into ESPN+. But don't be mistaken, you will only invite who they tell you to invite. If you say no then they will think hard about taking a look at your contract again.

Well they aren't apples to apples. The Big East doesn't have FB unlike the ACC.

They trashed the very concept of putting all other sports in a conference and having football be independent.

Their stance was consistently that FBS football programs needed to "join a conference".

So, its the same.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 09:33 PM by TerryD.)
06-24-2019 09:31 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(06-24-2019 08:38 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  To me the top choices for the AAC are Buffalo, ODU, Army (if they even want to be in a conference), UAB and WKU.

There are, at most, only four schools who will be offered UConn's spot:

Army, Air Force, BYU and Boise

If none of those come, the American will stand pat and each member will share part of UConn's TV money.

Once again, you will never see any MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt or independent school not named BYU or Army replacing UConn.
06-24-2019 09:51 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(06-24-2019 09:51 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 08:38 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  To me the top choices for the AAC are Buffalo, ODU, Army (if they even want to be in a conference), UAB and WKU.

There are, at most, only four schools who will be offered UConn's spot:

Army, Air Force, BYU and Boise

If none of those come, the American will stand pat and each member will share part of UConn's TV money.

Once again, you will never see any MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt or independent school not named BYU or Army replacing UConn.

Thats not true, you aren't in charge of making that decision ESPN is. You just signed a 1 billion dollar contract with them they own you. BYU, Boise and Air Force aren't coming. The choice will underwhelm you, if you think otherwise then you haven't been paying attention to how this story plays out. It will be a MAC or CUSA school or Army if they decide to actually join a conference.
06-24-2019 10:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.