Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A hypothetical hard bargain for Cincinnati
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
A hypothetical hard bargain for Cincinnati
Given the news of UCONN ... how does this sound for a hardball play:

Cincinnati is given an ACC invite ... but with a payout that splits the difference between the AAC and ACC payouts for the next 10 years. That leftover money is distributed among the rest of the ACC members That's probably less money than Rutgers and Maryland had to leave behind to join the B1G. Everybody should get more money. The ACC adds Ohio to the in-state ACCN rate and gets another major media market and a much needed travel partner and rival for Louisville.

04-deal
06-24-2019 09:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: A hypothetical hard bargain for Cincinnati
(06-24-2019 09:57 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Given the news of UCONN ... how does this sound for a hardball play:

Cincinnati is given an ACC invite ... but with a payout that splits the difference between the AAC and ACC payouts for the next 10 years. That leftover money is distributed among the rest of the ACC members That's probably less money than Rutgers and Maryland had to leave behind to join the B1G. Everybody should get more money. The ACC adds Ohio to the in-state ACCN rate and gets another major media market and a much needed travel partner and rival for Louisville.

04-deal

You could play harder ball than this ...

Invite Cincy to the ACC, at the current AAC payout for ten years. Then a full ACC share after that.

Cincy would be foolish to NOT take that deal. In fact, I bet if you poll their message board on this deal, the majority would jump at it.

Instead of Tulane on their schedule, they get Florida State.
Instead of East Carolina on their schedule, they get North Carolina.
Instead of Temple, they get Duke.
Oh ... and by the way ... they get to renew their hatred of Louisville, which has been on hold for a while.

- Their season tickets instantly sell out, and they could even charge a higher price for those tickets.
- They get on the ACC Network.
- They get to stick it to Ohio State, which has actively tried to "keep them down" forever.
- They get to tell Mick Cronin to shove it, as they are now in the big boys club.
- They get to tell Luke Fickell "why change jobs? You're in the big boy club now."
- ALL sports instantly upgrade.

The ACC gets access to Ohio. And suddenly Ohio State gets increased competition for recruits in the Buckeye state ... from not only Cincy, but Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and other ACC schools that can market games in their home state.

It wouldn't necessarily be a win-win, but Cincy would jump at that invite.
06-24-2019 10:50 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-24-2019 10:50 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 09:57 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Given the news of UCONN ... how does this sound for a hardball play:

04-deal

Invite Cincy to the ACC, at the current AAC payout for ten years. Then a full ACC share after that.

Cincy would be foolish to NOT take that deal. In fact, I bet if you poll their message board on this deal, the majority would jump at it.

Oh ... and by the way ... they get to renew their hatred of Louisville, which has been on hold for a while.

- Their season tickets instantly sell out, and they could even charge a higher price for those tickets.
- They get to stick it to Ohio State, which has actively tried to "keep them down" forever.
- They get to tell Mick Cronin to shove it, as they are now in the big boys club.
- They get to tell Luke Fickell "why change jobs? You're in the big boy club now."

The ACC gets access to Ohio. And suddenly Ohio State gets increased competition for recruits in the Buckeye state ... from not only Cincy, but Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and other ACC schools that can market games in their home state.

If divisionless scheduling is approved, I think this would be worth considering (at 15 teams for FB). I just don't see a viable 16th team unless it was Notre Dame.
06-24-2019 11:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: gross-mud.gif]

04-cheers
06-24-2019 11:53 AM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(06-24-2019 10:50 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

04-deal

Just make it happen.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 12:50 PM by colohank.)
06-24-2019 12:48 PM
Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
I don’t want to pick apart the AAC, leave them be. As a token of our peace we offer them Wake Forest.
06-24-2019 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(06-24-2019 12:49 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I don’t want to pick apart the AAC, leave them be. As a token of our peace we offer them Wake Forest.

03-lmfao
06-24-2019 12:58 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
There are only about 3 schools (ND, Penn State, Texas) that would add any money to the ACC. Cinci isn't close to being one of them.
06-24-2019 02:04 PM
HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
...............ummmm no, to the topic!01-wingedeagle

I'm with nole on this one!!!
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 02:33 PM by HRFlossY.)
06-24-2019 02:09 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2019 02:04 PM)nole Wrote:  There are only about 3 schools (ND, Penn State, Texas) that would add any money to the ACC. Cinci isn't close to being one of them.

You got it. 01-ncaabbs

No need to tinker. And, if you do, shoot above what you have. Don't settle (for purgatory).
06-24-2019 02:42 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(06-24-2019 02:42 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  You got it. 01-ncaabbs

No need to tinker. And, if you do, shoot above what you have. Don't settle (for purgatory).

There is the "corporate merger strategy" vis-a-vis Fuhrer Mickey reshuffling assets he more or less owns outright in the three big conferences. But if you think the NCAA is a dark side just wait until you see what Disney can do.
06-24-2019 03:33 PM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
I just want to be clear, I do not hate Cinci and think they are one of the most valuable members of the AAC, probably more valuable than a few existing ACC members. If ESPN wants to help keep the AAC a viable conference they could encourage the ACC and SEC to play the AAC teams in a 1-1 deals. Of course, I don’t know how far ESPN tampering will go. It seems to me that it’s in ESPNs best interest for the AAC to be a P6 conference and strengthen their position so they are in a position to be the hunter and not the hunted.
06-24-2019 04:49 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

It's always humorous to me how much crap folks throw at ESPN, but they darn well take their money while they provide visibility at the highest levels, promote their universities, etc.

Very odd.

Reminds me of a bitter old man yelling at the clouds. We got in bed with ESPN because they pay better than any of the other johns we could've hooked up with. Smoke a cigarette, act like you enjoy it, and move on.

These kids today with their rock 'n roll, long hair, baggy pants, multi-million dollar deals and TV exposure. Who needs 'em? BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=13008107]

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 07:20 PM by Wear Purple.)
06-24-2019 07:19 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(06-24-2019 02:04 PM)nole Wrote:  There are only about 3 schools (ND, Penn State, Texas) that would add any money to the ACC. Cinci isn't close to being one of them.

Notre Dame will NEVER become a full member of The ACC. That’s a pipe dream.

Penn State isn’t worth the headache. Everything but football sucks at PSU. Don’t see their Olympic Sports adding much to The ACC Network.

Texas, on the other hand, would be an excellent associate member like Notre Dame. Their Olympic Sports would be a welcome addition to The ACC Network. Easy to roll The LHN into The ACC Network.
06-24-2019 08:25 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
I’m prettttyy sure Ohio State didn’t suffer AT ALL during the time Cincinnati was in a BCS conference, so that argument is a big fail.

A wise strategy would be to NOT increase competition for Pitt and Louisville on the recruiting trail by promoting another school in their general region.

This isn’t rocket science, we don’t need teams rejected by the Big XII eating our pie without bringing any more to the round table! C’mon man!
06-24-2019 09:29 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2019 09:29 PM)esayem Wrote:  I’m prettttyy sure Ohio State didn’t suffer AT ALL during the time Cincinnati was in a BCS conference, so that argument is a big fail.

A wise strategy would be to NOT increase competition for Pitt and Louisville on the recruiting trail by promoting another school in their general region.

This isn’t rocket science, we don’t need teams rejected by the Big XII eating our pie without bringing any more to the round table! C’mon man!

Amen!

I'm glad the ACC Leadership and the Presidents, Athletic Directors and Faculty Reps at the 15 member institutions aren't sitting around trying to lower the standards we have in place now or wasting a lot of time trying to configure the 500 thousand different permutations of divisional alignments.

01-wingedeagle
06-25-2019 05:29 AM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-24-2019 03:33 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

There is the "corporate merger strategy" vis-a-vis Fuhrer Mickey reshuffling assets he more or less owns outright in the three big conferences. But if you think the NCAA is a dark side just wait until you see what Disney can do.

When you see that the ACC is sending NC State to the SEC in return for Vanderbilt, then you will know that the Mouse shuffle is "ON".
If the Mouse is going to reshuffle assets, then it only makes sense to start splitting additional states so that dual marketing can take place in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee, but I'm personally drawing the line at having to accept a school from the State of Alabama for Virginia Tech....we have been soiled enough.
06-25-2019 07:27 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2019 07:27 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 03:33 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

When you see that the ACC is sending NC State to the SEC in return for Vanderbilt, then you will know that the Mouse shuffle is "ON".
If the Mouse is going to reshuffle assets, then it only makes sense to start splitting additional states so that dual marketing can take place in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee, but I'm personally drawing the line at having to accept a school from the State of Alabama for Virginia Tech....we have been soiled enough.

Disney/ESPN isn't shuffling anything. They don't have that kind of power and there are long-binding contracts by the member institutions that are much more powerful than a TV network partnership.
06-25-2019 07:39 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(06-25-2019 05:29 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 09:29 PM)esayem Wrote:  I’m prettttyy sure Ohio State didn’t suffer AT ALL during the time Cincinnati was in a BCS conference, so that argument is a big fail.

Amen!

I'm glad the ACC Leadership and the Presidents, Athletic Directors and Faculty Reps at the 15 member institutions aren't sitting around trying to lower the standards we have in place now or wasting a lot of time trying to configure the 500 thousand different permutations of divisional alignments.

01-wingedeagle

Dude, you are a James Madison fan, get off your high horse.

And FWIW, I understand the reasons why UC will never be invited to the ACC
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 08:08 AM by CliftonAve.)
06-25-2019 08:08 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2019 08:08 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 05:29 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

Amen!

01-wingedeagle

Dude, you are a James Madison fan, get off your high horse.

And FWIW, I understand the reasons why UC will never be invited to the ACC

I am a proud fan of JMU indeed. I am also a proud fan of the ACC. And, I'm an alum of an ACC institution. What any of that has to do with anything is beyond me. Completely irrelevant on all counts. Not on any high horse. Just agreeing with esayem's commentary. Good luck to you and Cincy.
06-25-2019 08:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.