Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trickle Down Effect From UConn To Big East
Bookmark and Share
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Trickle Down Effect From UConn To Big East
Will there be a trickle down effect with UConn moving to Big East?

Big East > AAC > C-USA > Sun Belt > A-Sun..... or something like that?

For what it’s worth, I think ODU will move to the AAC.
06-23-2019 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BobbyFinstock Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisville and Liberty
RE: Trickle Down Effect From UConn To Big East
AAC will look at Army/Air Force for FB, and VCU on the basketball side, imo.
06-23-2019 12:27 PM
army56mike Offline

Those are very likely scenarios. I know that BYU is high on their wish list also.
06-23-2019 01:22 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Alabama
Does the AAC have to have a full member? I think its likely they just get a football associate. Army would be my idea to pair with Navy.
06-23-2019 02:19 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(06-23-2019 02:19 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  Does the AAC have to have a full member? I think its likely they just get a football associate. Army would be my idea to pair with Navy.

They are probably going to want a full member to keep even numbers.
06-23-2019 02:20 PM
army56mike Offline

(06-23-2019 02:19 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  Does the AAC have to have a full member? I think its likely they just get a football associate. Army would be my idea to pair with Navy.

That makes a lot of sense, and it would allow basketball to do a round robin conference schedule.
06-23-2019 03:22 PM
Advertisement

cruzan_flame13 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LIBERTY
It is logical, but would Army want to? Would they want that Army/Navy game to also be a conference game or are they satisfied with the historical game just being a traditional non-conference game?
06-23-2019 04:05 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

(06-23-2019 04:05 PM)cruzan_flame13 Wrote:  It is logical, but would Army want to? Would they want that Army/Navy game to also be a conference game or are they satisfied with the historical game just being a traditional non-conference game?

I saw an article breaking that down and an interesting thing would be what would happen if it was the conference championship game?
06-23-2019 07:12 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

(06-23-2019 07:12 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(06-23-2019 04:05 PM)cruzan_flame13 Wrote:  It is logical, but would Army want to? Would they want that Army/Navy game to also be a conference game or are they satisfied with the historical game just being a traditional non-conference game?

I saw an article breaking that down and an interesting thing would be what would happen if it was the conference championship game?

That would be an awesome conference championship game. The whole country watches that game.
06-23-2019 07:52 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

Army playing like they did last year, and how they played against Oklahoma, the AAC should be beginning them to join.
06-23-2019 07:54 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Army-Navy is great but Army has consistently denied the invitation by the AAC, as has BYU and Air Force. I think the best and easiest option is to let Navy go back to being independent and have 10 football, 11 non-football schools. Alternatively, Navy can have a scheduling agreement like Notre Dame football with the ACC. If Army happened to join, I think it would be best if the Army-Navy game was scheduled as a non-conference game so it can be played during the conference championship week. I don't think either has any interest in winning championships in sports. Short of kicking someone else out, it would be beneficial to drop to 10 football members as to share the CFP money less ways.

I have seen some non-football names thrown around but I don't buy it. Dayton overlaps Cincinnati in a bad way. VCU would be the next best but they could have been added instead of or with Witchita State but weren't. All sport members have their own issues as well. UMass would be terrible geographically and not make up for it athletically like UConn basketball. ODU is very young and has been unremarkable; same for UNC Charlotte, Georgia State, App State, Georgia Southern, etc. UAB just killed and revived their football program. Do you trust they wouldn't do it again?

Keeping UConn in football may be best for 2020 with concessions keeping them from winning the championship, getting CFP money, etc. Then let them go independent or whatever in 2021. That's probably as soon as they could get a replacement anyways. The AAC just negotiated a new media deal so they should know who the most valuable addition would be. My gut says they add nobody now and wait for a clear choice.
06-23-2019 09:55 PM
Advertisement

Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
(06-23-2019 09:55 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Army-Navy is great but Army has consistently denied the invitation by the AAC, as has BYU and Air Force. I think the best and easiest option is to let Navy go back to being independent and have 10 football, 11 non-football schools. Alternatively, Navy can have a scheduling agreement like Notre Dame football with the ACC. If Army happened to join, I think it would be best if the Army-Navy game was scheduled as a non-conference game so it can be played during the conference championship week. I don't think either has any interest in winning championships in sports. Short of kicking someone else out, it would be beneficial to drop to 10 football members as to share the CFP money less ways.

I have seen some non-football names thrown around but I don't buy it. Dayton overlaps Cincinnati in a bad way. VCU would be the next best but they could have been added instead of or with Witchita State but weren't. All sport members have their own issues as well. UMass would be terrible geographically and not make up for it athletically like UConn basketball. ODU is very young and has been unremarkable; same for UNC Charlotte, Georgia State, App State, Georgia Southern, etc. UAB just killed and revived their football program. Do you trust they wouldn't do it again?

Keeping UConn in football may be best for 2020 with concessions keeping them from winning the championship, getting CFP money, etc. Then let them go independent or whatever in 2021. That's probably as soon as they could get a replacement anyways. The AAC just negotiated a new media deal so they should know who the most valuable addition would be. My gut says they add nobody now and wait for a clear choice.

I think this is more likely than Army joining. I would not be shocked to see them join, but I think they enjoy the freedom Independence gives them, & they get a weekend all to themselves with the Army-Navy game that would likely have to be moved by being in the same conference.

That being said, them adding or not adding anyone will depend on whether any "sexy" names exist that would want to join the conference. If not, they will just wait until realignment to make any moves, especially since UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, &/or Memphis may be on the move come realignment. If they sign any other schools that aren't good enough in their eyes prior to realignment, they would bleed more money in order to jump like they'd like to.
06-24-2019 08:51 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

Just wondering what we would do if NJIT left for the CAA?
06-24-2019 09:10 PM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

(06-24-2019 09:10 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  Just wondering what we would do if NJIT left for the CAA?

Would the CAA want NJIT?

I would wine and dine the College of Charleston.

ASun revenue for 2019=3,363,600

CAA=1,681,800
06-25-2019 08:56 AM
SumItUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty
(06-25-2019 08:56 AM)lion1983 Wrote:  ASun revenue for 2019=3,363,600

CAA=1,681,800

How do the two conferences compare over the last 10 years? Was last year an outlier or is it a trend?
06-25-2019 09:08 AM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

(06-25-2019 09:08 AM)SumItUp Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 08:56 AM)lion1983 Wrote:  ASun revenue for 2019=3,363,600

CAA=1,681,800

How do the two conferences compare over the last 10 years? Was last year an outlier or is it a trend?

I havent looked at the CAA, but it wasnt long ago the FGCU to the sweet 16 happened, that brought a lot in, and it's for 6 years in a row payout. (That may have run its course by now) but you add Libertys run in 19, the ASun has to be sitting pretty good.

And to me it just makes good sense, you have Florida, Georgia(Atlanta basically), Alabama(from Birmingham, Huntsville and the Shoals), Nashville, now Louisville and Virginia, with Charlston it's kinda natural.
06-25-2019 09:33 AM
Advertisement

lion1983 Offline
1st String

Bellarmine
Liberty
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Kennesaw State
College of Charleston
North Florida
Jacksonville
Stetson
Florida Gulf Coast

Could be a very good non football conference, I would dare to say the Southern version of the Big East.

And moving headquarters to Atlanta ain't bad either.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 09:40 AM by lion1983.)
06-25-2019 09:39 AM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
(06-25-2019 09:39 AM)lion1983 Wrote:  Bellarmine
Liberty
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Kennesaw State
College of Charleston
North Florida
Jacksonville
Stetson
Florida Gulf Coast

Could be a very good non football conference, I would dare to say the Southern version of the Big East.

I'm sorry, but we do not have anywhere near the same prestige as the Big East, particularly in basketball. We have a long way to go to be compared to that conference, though it pains me to say that.

We were ranked 21st out of 32 for basketball, while the Big East was 5th here: http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conferencerpi

And here: https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basket...ng-by-conf

I would be happy if were half as prestigious, but let's not kid ourselves. We have a long way to go as a conference, starting by not being a steppingstone conference. People look to come in & jump ship from the ASUN, while people want to end up in the Big East.
06-25-2019 09:52 AM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

(06-25-2019 09:52 AM)Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 09:39 AM)lion1983 Wrote:  Bellarmine
Liberty
Lipscomb
North Alabama
Kennesaw State
College of Charleston
North Florida
Jacksonville
Stetson
Florida Gulf Coast

I'm sorry, but we do not have anywhere near the same prestige as the Big East, particularly in basketball. We have a long way to go to be compared to that conference, though it pains me to say that.

We were ranked 21st out of 32 for basketball, while the Big East was 5th here: http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conferencerpi

And here: https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basket...ng-by-conf

I would be happy if were half as prestigious, but let's not kid ourselves. We have a long way to go as a conference, starting by not being a steppingstone conference. People look to come in & jump ship from the ASUN, while people want to end up in the Big East.
I agree on the prestigious aspect, I was talking in terms of how competitive the conference could end up being with a better possibility for multiple bids and what part of the regions each school represents. By no means saying that the ASun is the Big East. But I do think it could be, with the addition of the College of Charleston, a great conference that would no longer be a stepping stone. And to add to the stepping stone deal, we have to ask ourselves why is it? And whith the core line up as it sits, is it anymore? If the schools that are in will band together, I see it as a great conference that can grow into something special.
06-25-2019 10:08 AM
lion1983 Offline
1st String

Maybe that needs to be it's own thread...
06-25-2019 10:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.