Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The only intrinsically good adds are BYU/BSU/Army/AF for FB & VCU/Dayton for olympic.
B easy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
The only intrinsically good adds are BYU/BSU/Army/AF for FB & VCU/Dayton for olympic.
Has to be some combination of those schools IF we expand at all. Obviously all of this is contingent upon ESPN's acquiescence as both our and their interests need to be carefully aligned in order to make sure that dollar$ make $en$e.

However, BYU may only come if we include their olympic sports and that could be in the AAC's best interest as well (for one, BYU actually has a decent basketball pedigree and would occasionally get us an extra NCAA bid). Consequently, if BYU is all sports then and only then could BSU be as well & only at that point do we consider a proper western wing to the conference whereby you bring in Gonzaga (olympic) and consider SDSU or CSU for all sports (AF would be all sports in that scenario as well but otherwise just FB only).

I believe we have the money, trajectory, & bargaining power to make this happen whereby it would be in the best interest of not only the AAC and ESPN but BYU as well. We just have to iron out the details with our tv partner & the Mormons. In the alternative, if that fails to materialize, we bring in either Army or AF as a football only if we can and regardless of whether either of those service academies agree to join or not we should at least bring in VCU &/or Dayton (VCU would be my top choice) for olympics to offset the loss of UCONN basketball. Otherwise, we don't move at all and simply collect our $7.6 million per team per year in tv revenue. No other moves make fiscal or tactical sense.

Again, if BYU and ESPN are onboard we could make a true coast to coast 'American' Conference that would realistically give the P5 a run for their money:

East
ECU
Cincy
Temple
UCF
USF
Memphis
Tulane
Army (FB)

West
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
BYU
Boise St.
Air Force
CSU or SDSU
Navy (FB)

Gonzaga & VCU olympic to offset Army & Navy football (could even add Dayton or possibly even St. Louis at that point if logistics could be worked out).
06-23-2019 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: The only intrinsically good adds are BYU/BSU/Army/AF for FB & VCU/Dayton for o...
We just signed a tv deal. Can't go past 12. Better kiss up to Boise State now and VCU which would be the most realistic options and keep our value high.

Maybe toss in a few million of UConn exit as a good faith deal.
06-23-2019 10:22 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
RE: The only intrinsically good adds are BYU/BSU/Army/AF for FB & VCU/Dayton for olympic.
Ah....AAC Football will never have 14 or as you showed, 16 teams...as the dollars aren't there...and no current AAC Team wants to see their small share get even smaller.

Best bet might be just 1 football only invite...and then 1 basketball only (yes, olympic sports will have to come)...but I don't see ANY team out west ever agreeing to join AAC in either.
06-23-2019 10:26 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: The only intrinsically good adds are BYU/BSU/Army/AF for FB & VCU/Dayton for o...
(06-23-2019 10:22 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  We just signed a tv deal. Can't go past 12. Better kiss up to Boise State now and VCU which would be the most realistic options and keep our value high.

No on Boise State.

Yes to Air Force (football-only) or Army (football-only) or BYU (either all-sports or football-only).

Yes to VCU.
06-23-2019 10:34 AM
Advertisement

Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(06-23-2019 10:34 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-23-2019 10:22 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  We just signed a tv deal. Can't go past 12. Better kiss up to Boise State now and VCU which would be the most realistic options and keep our value high.

No on Boise State.

Yes to Air Force (football-only) or Army (football-only) or BYU (either all-sports or football-only).

Yes to VCU.

But if BYU is all sports then they may want Boise State as a travel partner and that then makes Gonzaga and the whole 'western wing' a very real possibility. This conference was named the American for a reason. The original intention was to go coast to coast. We shouldn't discount or discredit that possibility particularly w/ UCONN leaving now.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2019 02:33 PM by Indiana Bones.)
06-24-2019 02:32 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-24-2019 02:32 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  
(06-23-2019 10:34 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  No on Boise State.

Yes to VCU.

But if BYU is all sports then they may want Boise State as a travel partner and that then makes Gonzaga and the whole 'western wing' a very real possibility. This conference was named the American for a reason. The original intention was to go coast to coast. We shouldn't discount or discredit that possibility particularly w/ UCONN leaving now.
I’m willing to let BYU have a travel-partner if that’s what it boils down to. But identifying who that travel partner is will require some give-and-take.
06-24-2019 02:42 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(06-24-2019 02:42 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 02:32 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  
(06-23-2019 10:34 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  No on Boise State.

Yes to VCU.

I’m willing to let BYU have a travel-partner if that’s what it boils down to. But identifying who that travel partner is will require some give-and-take.

Air Force would make a good travel Partner, or maybe Colorado State?
06-24-2019 03:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.