Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Oregon governor sends police after GOP senators
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Oregon governor sends police after GOP senators
Quote:Oregon Gov. Kate Brown has deployed the state police to try to round up Republican lawmakers who fled the Capitol to block a vote on a landmark economy-wide climate plan that would be the second of its kind in the nation.

Minority Republicans want the cap-and-trade proposal, which is aimed at dramatically lowering the state's greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, to be sent to voters instead of being instituted by lawmakers — but negotiations with Democrats collapsed, leading to the walkout, Kate Gillem, a spokeswoman for Senate Republicans said Thursday.

Oregon State Police can force any senators they track down in the state into a patrol car to return them to the Capitol, although the agency said in a statement that it would use "polite communication" and patience to bring the rogue lawmakers back.

Under state law, the absentee senators will be fined $500 a day per person starting Friday if enough of them remain absent to prevent a vote. Democrats have an 18-to-12 majority in the chamber, but need 20 members present for a quorum.

"It's time for the Senate Republicans to show up and do the job they were elected to do," Brown, a Democrat, said at a news conference.

Republican senators appeared unfazed and ready to dig in.

"Send bachelors and come heavily armed," Sen. Brian Boquist, a Republican from Dallas, said late Wednesday as the prospect of a walkout loomed. "I'm not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It's just that simple."

Boquist, who is reportedly in Idaho, did not respond to emails after the Senate president publicly rebuked him for the remarks.

Gillem confirmed that some members left the state to avoid a vote because state police don't have jurisdiction outside Oregon. State police said Thursday evening that they had been in contact with several senators and that "out-of-state resources" were assisting the agency.

This is the second time in this legislative session that minority GOP lawmakers have used a walkout as a way to slow the process. Democrats have a rare supermajority in the House and Senate, meaning Republicans don't have many ways to influence the debate.

Republicans walked out of the Senate last month to block a school funding tax package. The standoff lasted four days, until the governor struck a deal to table legislation on gun control and vaccine requirements.

The tactic is rare, but it has been used throughout history. Abraham Lincoln once leapt out of a window in an attempt to deny a quorum when he was a lawmaker in Illinois.

In 2003, Texas Democrats fled to neighboring Oklahoma to deny a quorum, holing up in a Holiday Inn to block a GOP redistricting bill. The Democrats returned to Texas after the bill's deadline passed, and it was effectively killed.

On Thursday, Oregon's Senate president pleaded with Republicans to return.

"I beg and beseech my fellow legislators to come to the floor. I need you, the Legislature needs you, the people of Oregon need you to pass budgets to take care of our citizens," Senate President Peter Courtney said on the Senate floor.

The walkout brings all Senate business to a halt with just over a week left in the legislative session. Senators still need to vote on the budget.

But the cap-and-trade legislation remains a sticking point.

Under the proposed bill, Oregon would put an overall limit on greenhouse gas emissions and auction off pollution "allowances" for each ton of carbon industries plan to emit. The legislation would lower that cap over time to encourage businesses to move away from fossil fuels: The state would reduce emissions to 45% below 1990 levels by 2035, and 80% below 1990 levels by 2050.

Those opposed to the cap-and-trade plan say it would exacerbate a growing divide between the liberal, urban parts of the state and the rural areas. The plan would increase the cost of fuel, damaging small business, truckers and the logging industry, they say.

"Protesting cap and trade by walking out today represents our constituency and exactly how we should be doing our job," said Senate Republican leader Herman Baertschiger, Jr., of Grants Pass.

A small group of loggers gathered to protest outside the Capitol on Thursday.

Bridger Hasbrouck, a 32-year-old self-employed logger from Dallas, Ore., said the bill if passed would be "devastating" to his business because he uses diesel fuel to power all his logging equipment.

"There's a whole lot involved but the biggest thing that's very crippling is the fact that these bills would impose regulations that would take trucks off the road that people are using to earn their living," he said.

Democrats say the measure is an efficient way to lower emissions while investing in low-income and rural communities' ability to adapt to climate change. It has the support of environmental groups, farm workers and some trade unions.

Link
06-21-2019 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Oregon governor sends police after GOP senators
These fleeing the state measures are dumb
06-21-2019 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Strangely, im ok with this

Lol.
06-21-2019 04:10 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(06-21-2019 04:10 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Strangely, im ok with this

Lol.

Yeah, I'm OK with it, too.

I recall a few short years ago when Dems fled one of the midwestern states to avoid votes.
06-21-2019 04:17 PM
NIUAlum90 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(06-21-2019 04:17 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(06-21-2019 04:10 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Strangely, im ok with this

Lol.

Yeah, I'm OK with it, too.

I recall a few short years ago when Dems fled one of the midwestern states to avoid votes.
Bucky Badger remembers!

On Wisconsin, on your pizza, on your pancakes too!
06-21-2019 05:29 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
I'm not ok with it if it is any more than a delaying tactic and a move to increase publicity. If you don't have the votes, you don't have the votes. I didn't like it when the Dems did it in Texas.
06-21-2019 06:51 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
The Democrats did the same thing in Texas a few years back.
06-21-2019 10:56 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-21-2019 10:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The Democrats did the same thing in Texas a few years back.

And I thought it was terrible then, so I think it is terrible now.
06-22-2019 06:35 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
They are reportedly in Idaho. Bad news for the dims in Oregon.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/poli...26048.html

Quote:And the Idaho State Police aren’t offering any help, saying they lack jurisdiction.

“The Idaho State Police is not involved in the search for Oregon lawmakers, as these individuals are not suspected of breaking any Idaho laws,” ISP Col. Kedrick Wills said in a statement provided to the Idaho Statesman.
06-22-2019 11:48 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-22-2019 11:48 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  They are reportedly in Idaho. Bad news for the dims in Oregon.

Quote:And the Idaho State Police aren’t offering any help, saying they lack jurisdiction.

“The Idaho State Police is not involved in the search for Oregon lawmakers, as these individuals are not suspected of breaking any Idaho laws,” ISP Col. Kedrick Wills said in a statement provided to the Idaho Statesman.

Whats the end game?? Dumb
06-22-2019 12:01 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(06-22-2019 12:01 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(06-22-2019 11:48 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  They are reportedly in Idaho. Bad news for the dims in Oregon.

To show the dems that they aren't the only ones who can get down in the dirt to fight? The GOP has taken the moral high ground for so long the dems have been emboldened by it, as they perceive it as weakness, and consequently they've become more and more outrageous by the day. And that's only because they know they're opposition doesn't have the stomach for a down and dirty fight. The dems street fight while the GOP invokes Marquess of Queensberry rules.

The mighty British army, in all their regimentation and proper rules of engagement, got curb stomped by a rag tag group who chose to make their own rules of engagement.
06-22-2019 12:10 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

To run out the clock. Legislative session ends June 30th. Keeps a bill that will absolutely destroy the economy outside of the coastal cities of Oregon from getting passed this session.
06-22-2019 05:39 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(06-22-2019 05:39 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

To run out the clock. Legislative session ends June 30th. Keeps a bill that will absolutely destroy the economy outside of the coastal cities of Oregon from getting passed this session.

Yeah, that too. Not dumb IMO
06-22-2019 06:17 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
There seems to be a pattern with Democrat politicians that they think the people they represent are too stupid to vote on measures like this.
06-22-2019 06:37 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(06-22-2019 06:37 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  There seems to be a pattern with Democrat politicians that they think the people they represent are too stupid to vote on measures like this.

Their constituents did elect them.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2019 06:42 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
06-22-2019 06:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Fair enough. Did not know they could run out the clock
06-22-2019 11:36 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

(06-22-2019 11:36 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

Such action seems as if it might border on dereliction of duty even if performed in the name of commen sense. I don't disagree with them being opposed to such a bill at all but there are established processes and procedures for passing - or not - laws. It seems a bit chickenshit from whichever side adopts it as a tactic.
06-23-2019 06:27 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-23-2019 06:27 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(06-22-2019 11:36 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
Such action seems as if it might border on dereliction of duty even if performed in the name of commen sense. I don't disagree with them being opposed to such a bill at all but there are established processes and procedures for passing - or not - laws. It seems a bit chickenshit from whichever side adopts it as a tactic.

Felt the same way when democrats in Texas did it. I say let them come back, pass the law, and crater Oregon's economy, and then maybe, just maybe, the rest will learn from it.
06-23-2019 06:33 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(06-22-2019 12:10 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

To show the dems that they aren't the only ones who can get down in the dirt to fight? The GOP has taken the moral high ground for so long the dems have been emboldened by it, as they perceive it as weakness, and consequently they've become more and more outrageous by the day. And that's only because they know they're opposition doesn't have the stomach for a down and dirty fight. The dems street fight while the GOP invokes Marquess of Queensberry rules.

The mighty British army, in all their regimentation and proper rules of engagement, got curb stomped by a rag tag group who chose to make their own rules of engagement.

And even though I'm OK with the Dems trying to get them back, I'm also perfectly OK with what you suggest above.

The radleft Dems have long been using Alinsky's Rules including that the ends justify the means. They make their opponent stand to the moral high ground while redefining their own morals.

Quote:The most unethical of all means is the non-use of any means...
06-23-2019 09:56 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Abraham Lincoln supposedly jumped out of a window to deny opposition a quorum one time

I still dont like the tactic but i at least i can understand their endgame of clock run out as opposed to temper tantrum
06-23-2019 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.