Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Harrington out at TXST
Bookmark and Share
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Harrington out at TXST
Ty Harrington announced his retirement today. Not forced out by the school, appears genuine he's leaving on his own terms.

Press conference a couple hours ago:
https://t.co/IMsxMVgJdX

This will be a big hire for TXST and Teis coming off the regular season championship.
06-20-2019 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Harrington out at TXST
Harrington Field at Bobcat Ballpark

It needs to happen!
06-20-2019 06:47 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(06-20-2019 06:47 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Harrington Field at Bobcat Ballpark

It needs to happen!

That would be very fitting . . . Hope it happens . .

And, that the next hire’s a good one.
06-20-2019 07:06 PM
Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy
I just caught a glimpse on local TV but is Martin retiring at FSU?
06-20-2019 07:09 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(06-20-2019 07:09 PM)Yarddog Wrote:  I just caught a glimpse on local TV but is Martin retiring at FSU?

Yes, Mike Martin has retired. Believe he put in 40 years, and is retiring at age 75.
06-20-2019 07:31 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(06-20-2019 07:06 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

It needs to happen!

Rumor

Either Trout will get promoted or they will go after Matlock (he's at UTRGV). There was one other name mentioned but I forget who right now.
06-20-2019 07:40 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(06-20-2019 07:40 PM)CatMom Wrote:  

It needs to happen!

Rumor

Either Trout will get promoted or they will go after Matlock (he's at UTRGV). There was one other name mentioned but I forget who right now.

Yeah, I 'd heard both of those . . . . Ty supposedly pushing for Trout. I also suppose that'd be the "safe pick" for Teis. Don't know much about Matlock . . I do know that UTRGV has been a "tough out" the past few years.
I was kinda hoping they might give the guy at Dallas Baptist a look. He has HC experience, is only 41, has won 2 MVC titles, and has posted 40 plus wins the past 6 seasons.
Just hoping LT doesn't blow it . . .
06-20-2019 09:12 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(06-20-2019 09:12 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

It needs to happen!

Rumor

Yeah, I 'd heard both of those . . . . Ty supposedly pushing for Trout. I also suppose that'd be the "safe pick" for Teis. Don't know much about Matlock . . I do know that UTRGV has been a "tough out" the past few years.
I was kinda hoping they might give the guy at Dallas Baptist a look. He has HC experience, is only 41, has won 2 MVC titles, and has posted 40 plus wins the past 6 seasons.
Matlock was our Asst coach (2007-12) and recruiting coordinator. He recruited Goldschmidt and was the pitching coach. He left because Ty "figuratively" repeatedly tied his hands on pitching decisions. That and I assume WVU $$ was a hell of a lot better.

In two years he took them (UTRGV) from 23-31 to 34-21

PS - we never had a losing season when Matlock was here. In fact, the only team he has ever been a coach with that had a losing record was last year at RGV but he turned that around in one season.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2019 09:34 PM by CatMom.)
06-20-2019 09:30 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(06-20-2019 09:30 PM)CatMom Wrote:  
(06-20-2019 09:12 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

It needs to happen!

Rumor

Matlock was our Asst coach (2007-12) and recruiting coordinator. He recruited Goldschmidt and was the pitching coach. He left because Ty "figuratively" repeatedly tied his hands on pitching decisions. That and I assume WVU $$ was a hell of a lot better.

In two years he took them (UTRGV) from 23-31 to 34-21

PS - we never had a losing season when Matlock was here.

DOH ! Face palm. Kinda thing I probably should know, but to be honest, I don't typically pay attention to our Coaching staffs beyond the "Head" guy.

Appreciate the edumacation.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2019 09:38 PM by Bobcat87.)
06-20-2019 09:37 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I like Trout, but to me he's kind of a 2012 version of Matlock right now. Trout is where Matlock was back then, but Matlock has gone out and worked as a Big 12 assistant and now a WAC head coach since then. Matlock would be a far better fit simply cause he's got far more experience than Trout.

The 3rd named mentioned you couldn't remember is the head coach at McLennan CC, Mitch Thompson. He was the pitching coach at Baylor for like 18 years under Steve Smith. I'd say no thanks but as an MCC alum I know he's got them killing it at the JUCO level since he took over.

I said it on M&G about 30 seconds after I heard this news drop about Harrington, but I'd have Matt Deggs coming in to interview as soon as possible.
06-21-2019 11:51 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(06-21-2019 11:51 AM)_x_ Wrote:  I like Trout, but to me he's kind of a 2012 version of Matlock right now. Trout is where Matlock was back then, but Matlock has gone out and worked as a Big 12 assistant and now a WAC head coach since then. Matlock would be a far better fit simply cause he's got far more experience than Trout.

The 3rd named mentioned you couldn't remember is the head coach at McLennan CC, Mitch Thompson. He was the pitching coach at Baylor for like 18 years under Steve Smith. I'd say no thanks but as an MCC alum I know he's got them killing it at the JUCO level since he took over.

I said it on M&G about 30 seconds after I heard this news drop about Harrington, but I'd have Matt Deggs coming in to interview as soon as possible.
I would not have problem one with Deggs but I am worried Teis will do a Bailiff/Wright thing because it's the easiest route.
06-21-2019 01:50 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Would have been nice for him to go out as a NCAA regional team. Texas St was 1-2 Sun Belt tournament wins from being in regional I think
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2019 02:55 PM by GaSoEagle.)
06-21-2019 02:55 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(06-21-2019 02:55 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Would have been nice for him to go out as a NCAA regional team. Texas St was 1-2 Sun Belt tournament wins from being in regional I think

coulda, woulda, shoulda. 07-coffee3
06-21-2019 03:54 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(06-21-2019 02:55 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Would have been nice for him to go out as a NCAA regional team. Texas St was 1-2 Sun Belt tournament wins from being in regional I think
While we were a win or two away from getting a bid (and that's on us) teams like TCU, who had a losing record in conference, got in. (34-28, 11-13)

It's the same crap they do in football, basketball, et al. They get merit points just due to the conference they're in.
06-21-2019 08:24 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

Trout seems like a very safe hire but so does Matlock. The players would probably be happy if it was Trout.

Harrington was a great coach. For a while he seemed to lose what used to be a consistent winner but rebounded recently. Glad he left on his own terms and I hope the school names the field after him.
06-24-2019 08:03 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

Announcement at 2:30 today.

Looks like it'll be Trout, current assistant coach.

I thought it was a lazy hire at first but he is young and well liked. I am happy to give him a chance to get the team to the next year.
07-01-2019 01:30 PM
Advertisement

TXSTRiverBobcat Offline
2nd String

He is a lazy hire. Not the right choice to get us over the hump...
07-01-2019 01:50 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

07-01-2019 02:32 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

https://txstatebobcats.com/news/2019/7/1...coach.aspx

Ty Harrington, former Texas State Head Baseball Coach
"Steven is one of the most talented, knowledgeable, committed, creative and loyal persons and coach that is involved with college baseball. Parents have entrusted their most prized possessions (their children) to him to develop them on and off the field. He will be a superstar in this business as a head coach."

Randy Mazey, West Virginia Head Baseball Coach
"Steven Trout is one of the best young minds in baseball. His feel for the game and his ability to develop is outstanding. He has a lot to do with the success we are having at West Virginia and he is going to be a great head coach."

Jim Schlossnagle, TCU Head Baseball Coach
"I had no doubt that Steven would be an outstanding and successful coach from the moment he became a player for us at TCU. Every characteristic that he shows now as a coach, he displayed as a player. Steven is hard working, goal oriented, team oriented, selfless, committed to personal excellence and brings a positive energy to his work and players each and every day. He has worked at every possible level of college baseball and been a high achiever at each stop. I have no question that he will be an incredibly successful head coach that won't only produce winning teams but run and maintain a high level program that everyone at your university can be proud of!"

Todd Whitting, University of Houston Head Baseball Coach
"Coach Trout is one of the brightest young coaches in our industry. I had the pleasure of not only coaching him but also worked with him as a member of my staff. Steven is a tremendous talent that will lead a program with integrity and class with an emphasis on a positive student-athlete experience."

Jake Arrieta, MLB Cy Young Award Winner – Philadelphia Phillies
"Steven was that teammate that you knew was going to show up every day and give everything he had in practice or a game. He got the most out of his ability and that is the main reason why he has been successful as a coach. He gives everything to what he's doing and that carries over to his players. He's a very loyal man who always does things the right way."

Paul Goldschimdt, MLB All-Star – St. Louis Cardinals
"Coach Trout has been part of numerous successful programs and knows how to turn programs into winners. He has been part of three of the four most successful seasons at Texas State in the last 11 years. He was able to bring in the right recruits in the two years he has been in charge of the recruiting and lead the Bobcats to a Sun Belt Championship. He has my full support to be the next head baseball coach at Texas State."
07-01-2019 03:23 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

Yeah, well, he wasn't the guy that recruited the players that won on the '00s and he didn't recruit the guys that just won the Sunbelt. We didn't win with freshmen, RS freshmen and sophomores. (he wasn't in charge of recruiting until 2018) So, we'll see how he does going forward.
07-01-2019 05:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.