Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Beto O’Rourke Invokes Holocaust while Criticizing Trump’s Immigration Policies…
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Beto O’Rourke Invokes Holocaust while Criticizing Trump’s Immigration Policies…
Move over AOC....

Quote:Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke on Sunday invoked the Holocaust while criticizing President Donald Trump's immigration policies during a campaign stop in South Carolina.

During his rally, O'Rourke, a former Texas Democratic Congressman, was discussing how the German transatlantic liner St. Louis with 900 Jewish refugees was turned away by former Democratic President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, resulting in the death of more than 250 of the passengers during the Holocaust.

"In 1939, a ship set sail from the port of Hamburg, Germany with more than 900 Jewish refugees aboard – it’s called the St. Louis. Children, women, and men bound for Cuba," O'Rourke said. "They were going to deboard in the port of Havana, but as they were crossing the Atlantic, Cuba changed their asylum laws and did not allow those passengers to leave. So they set course for the United States. Our president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, said that that ship could not come to this country, we didn’t have the capacity, this was not our problem."

"The captain of that ship tried to run it aground in Florida, but we sent out Coast Guard cutters to prevent them from doing that, ultimately forcing that ship back across the Atlantic to Europe where more than 250 of her passengers – children, women, and men – were murdered in the Holocaust," O'Rourke continued.

O'Rourke went on to say the "stain is ours to share" even though it was just one man that made the decision, referring to Roosevelt. He then compared the situation to Trump's immigration policy today by saying it is the "decision for family separation and the cruelty with which we treat children in this country today."

"In a democracy, where the people are the government and the government is the people, every single day that these kinds of conditions and situations persist it is on every single one of us," O'Rourke said. "So let’s take this moment to make this commitment – that every single one of us will use our voice and our vote in this democracy to make sure that it is consistent with our interests and our values, and that we’re able to look our kids in the eye in the years to come and tell them at this defining moment of truth we did what was right and we made them proud."

This is not the first time O'Rourke has invoked the Holocaust to attack Trump. Back in April at an Iowa town hall, he likened Trump's rhetoric on immigrants to the "Third Reich," or the Nazi regime, saying, "Now, I might expect someone to describe another human being as an infestation in the Third Reich. I would not expect that in the United States of America," the Times of Israel reported.

LInk
06-19-2019 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
RE: Beto O’Rourke Invokes Holocaust while Criticizing Trump’s Immigration Policies…
And this is why Dems (since 2014) have been pushing more and more moderates/centrists to the right. Keep up the good work Dems!
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2019 01:06 PM by TTT.)
06-19-2019 01:05 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
RE: Beto O’Rourke Invokes Holocaust while Criticizing Trump’s Immigration Policies…
He's the typical El Paso Demoncrap, full of shiate. I can't believe that people think he'd make a good president. Ignorant fools, plain and simple.
06-19-2019 01:06 PM
zyxwvutsru Offline
Cubicle Warrior

I Root For: UTEP
I am beginning to become embarrassed that I share a hometown with this guy.
06-19-2019 01:20 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(06-19-2019 01:20 PM)zyxwvutsru Wrote:  I am beginning to become embarrassed that I share a hometown with this guy.

Hey Z, have you seen Estella Casas drool when she speaks of him? I thought that she was smart once. I can't stand her voice now, she sounds like a Mexican Barbara Walters. I've switched to channel 9 now, it's a tad better.
06-19-2019 01:24 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Ya know, If Beto was a Republican instead of a Democrat, all you'd hear was that he's a privileged white boarding school-attending judge's son who dodged serious charges for DUI and burglary, used eminent domain to gentrify poor Latino neighborhoods and married into a billionaire's family.
06-19-2019 01:27 PM
Advertisement

wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
It's not off-limits to compare things to previous atrocities in history, snowflakes. Treat people like humans and you won't get these comparisons.

BTW, I'm not a Beto fan but saying he "invoked the Holocaust" here is misleading at best.
06-19-2019 01:28 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Funny that a representative that couldnt even beat Cruz in Texas thinks that he will win the Presidency.
06-19-2019 02:07 PM
zyxwvutsru Offline
Cubicle Warrior

I Root For: UTEP
(06-19-2019 01:24 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  
(06-19-2019 01:20 PM)zyxwvutsru Wrote:  I am beginning to become embarrassed that I share a hometown with this guy.

Hey Z, have you seen Estella Casas drool when she speaks of him? I thought that she was smart once. I can't stand her voice now, she sounds like a Mexican Barbara Walters. I've switched to channel 9 now, it's a tad better.

The chemo really got to Estella. I forgive her for that. The local news is all bad.
06-19-2019 02:08 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(06-19-2019 01:28 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  It's not off-limits to compare things to previous atrocities in history, snowflakes. Treat people like humans and you won't get these comparisons.

BTW, I'm not a Beto fan but saying he "invoked the Holocaust" here is misleading at best.

Illegals are not being treated or processed any differently. They are treated humanely. And when someone brings up Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Germany hell yes it invokes the holocaust. It is total garbage, AOC does it also.
06-19-2019 02:21 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(06-19-2019 01:28 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  It's not off-limits to compare things to previous atrocities in history, snowflakes. Treat people like humans and you won't get these comparisons.

The US is not rounding these Illegals up, loading them onto trains like cattle and sending them far from their homes. The US is not stripping them of their belonging's and pulling gold teeth from their mouths. Tattooing a number on their arms. They come to the US illegally of their own free will. They made a choice to come here. It nowhere near compares to past atrocities committed by people and governments who were nothing but pure evil.

You, leftists like to write narratives to fit nice and neat into your minds so you dont have to exert to much brain power because if you did you would end up thinking for yourself and not be another NPC.
06-19-2019 02:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(06-19-2019 02:31 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

The US is not rounding these Illegals up, loading them onto trains like cattle and sending them far from their homes. The US is not stripping them of their belonging's and pulling gold teeth from their mouths. Tattooing a number on their arms. They come to the US illegally of their own free will. They made a choice to come here. It nowhere near compares to past atrocities committed by people and governments who were nothing but pure evil.

You, leftists like to write narratives to fit nice and neat into your minds so you dont have to exert to much brain power because if you did you would end up thinking for yourself and not be another NPC.

He's not comparing the US to Nazi Germany...He's comparing Trump to FDR. He's saying that in 1939, we turned away Jewish asylum seekers from Germany and sent them back to a dangerous environment. He's comparing that to what Trump wants to do now... send asylum seekers back to dangerous environments in Central America or tell them to wait there while there while their application is being processed (and most likely, denied).

Granted, it's a little bit of an extreme comparison. The situation in Central America is obviously not the same as Nazi Germany. But I do believe just telling these people to go home or stay put where they are will lead to a lot of deaths.
06-19-2019 02:58 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-19-2019 01:28 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  BTW, I'm not a Beto fan but saying he "invoked the Holocaust" here is misleading at best.

Like hell, he didn't. That's precisely what he did.

How, in your mind, did he stop short of invoking the Holocaust?
06-19-2019 03:01 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

And yet, here you are, completely (willfully?) misunderstanding the analogy because a right-wing rag told you to.
06-19-2019 03:06 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(06-19-2019 03:01 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(06-19-2019 01:28 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  BTW, I'm not a Beto fan but saying he "invoked the Holocaust" here is misleading at best.

He invoked a very specific event involving Jewish refugees. Sure, it was related to the Holocaust (and as BE said possibly a little extreme for that reason). But to say he "invoked the Holocaust" is specifically worded to piss people off and make them think he's comparing Trump to Hitler. Judging by this thread it worked.
06-19-2019 03:08 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(06-19-2019 03:08 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(06-19-2019 03:01 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

He invoked a very specific event involving Jewish refugees. Sure, it was related to the Holocaust (and as BE said possibly a little extreme for that reason). But to say he "invoked the Holocaust" is specifically worded to piss people off and make them think he's comparing Trump to Hitler. Judging by this thread it worked.

Maybe I'm missing something but the two seem exactly the same to me.
06-19-2019 03:11 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-19-2019 03:06 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  

And yet, here you are, completely (willfully?) misunderstanding the analogy because a right-wing rag told you to.

We're not misunderstanding anything, puddin'. Comparing actions you dont agree with to the holocaust and comparing people you dont like to Hitler is your side's MO.
06-19-2019 03:14 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
In general, in any debate it's good practice to avoid comparing anyone to Hitler and anything to the Holocaust. Doing so is a good indication one has nothing of substance to offer and also that one has already lost the debate and is desperate.
06-19-2019 03:17 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(06-19-2019 03:14 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(06-19-2019 03:06 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  

We're not misunderstanding anything, puddin'. Comparing actions you dont agree with to the holocaust and comparing people you dont like to Hitler is your side's MO.

[Image: anti%20obama%20billboard-87d3535688944ba...00-c85.jpg]
06-19-2019 03:18 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!

Really dude...Beto said N O T H I N G even remotely akin to this.
06-19-2019 03:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.