Any questions about this list ....
06-09-2019 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: Any questions about this list ....
Buffalo's had 3 winning seasons in the past 20 years, and is viewed as #3 in football success.

You could then argue that it's based entirely on "what have you done for me lately" (i.e. last season). But that doesn't explain EMU dead last at #12, a team that's been bowling 2 of the past 3 years.

With billionaire Alec Gores' contributions and much of Fleck's high salary being private donor driven, #6 in donor support feels questionable for WMU.

But I guess it's what they say: perception is reality.
06-09-2019 07:10 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Toledo's Women's BB outdraws most of the MAC's Men's programs. Should have more impact on the rankings.
06-09-2019 09:12 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(06-09-2019 07:10 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Buffalo's had 3 winning seasons in the past 20 years, and is viewed as #3 in football success.

You could then argue that it's based entirely on "what have you done for me lately" (i.e. last season). But that doesn't explain EMU dead last at #12, a team that's been bowling 2 of the past 3 years.

With billionaire Alec Gores' contributions and much of Fleck's high salary being private donor driven, #6 in donor support feels questionable for WMU.

Pretty much this.
06-09-2019 09:26 PM
klingon289 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Buffalo
Given the success of recent UB athletic directors moving into Power 5 positions and the increased national visibility of the basketball team recently, I can see where a poll/survey based on desirability of AD jobs would put Buffalo at or near the top.

Prior to current AD Mark Alnutt, UB's previous athletic directors are: Allen Greene (Auburn), Danny White (Central Florida), and Warde Manual (Michigan).
06-09-2019 10:25 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

God I hate the offseason.
06-09-2019 11:35 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(06-09-2019 11:35 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  God I hate the offseason.

CFL.
06-10-2019 07:30 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(06-09-2019 07:10 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Buffalo's had 3 winning seasons in the past 20 years, and is viewed as #3 in football success.

^ What he said.
06-10-2019 07:44 AM
GoBullsGo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Buffalo Bulls

I don't think you'll find any disagreements from UB fans on this point.
06-10-2019 07:50 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
As a Bowling Green fan, I do not feel 10th. Our football program has been bad the past couple of years, but we have a tradition of success there. We have a practically new basketball arena and they seem to be in good hands under Mike Huger. Our nationally-ranked hockey program just made the NCAA tournament. And, to get to the what may be the point of this: Previous ADs have moved on to Xavier and New Mexico, so BGSU certainly is not a career black hole.

This seems more like clickbait than something I'm going to worry much about.
06-10-2019 08:49 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear MAC Fans,
This is one of the worst predictions of schools in the MAC that I have seen in years. What were the guidelines for any category? The last five years, ten years? What? Eastern has some of the best performing non-revenue sports of any school in the league, and we are ranked worst? This is total B.S.
06-10-2019 12:16 PM
Advertisement

GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

With the constant budget issues at EMU and zero fan interest, i would put them at the bottom of the conference as far as desirability of Athletic Director jobs in the MAC.
06-10-2019 12:31 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Overall the list ranking is pretty good. There are some subsets I could disagree with. CMU's facilities, EMU fb and bb success ranking etc.

In the end UB is the only real candidate. Facilities are subpar for about all of our venues in the capacity realm. Realistically you need to be in a city with little competition, and for the MAC that just isn't the case.

1. UB- city, recent success, North Eastern rivals in P5 conferences.
2. NIU- football success and being a bit out west which would make it kind of a target for the BIg12 or a league with NDSU.
3. Toledo- city, bball attendance
4. Miami- academics and very SEC looking in terms of image.
5. Ohio- bball attendance and large bball venue.
6. WMU- bigger football stadium with an access bowl appearance.
The list honestly stops here and even this is a stretch.
06-10-2019 03:02 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear GRBRONCO,
Our fan interest has improved in football. If, you are going to put our fan interest at zero, then you better include Kent State, Akron, Ball State, to name a few.
06-10-2019 04:45 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2019 12:31 PM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  With the constant budget issues at EMU and zero fan interest, i would put them at the bottom of the conference as far as desirability of Athletic Director jobs in the MAC.

I'd put them as the hardest job to take on, being located 10 minutes from a college football Mecca in Ann Arbor. But they actually do have fans. How many fans would insert any team have if they averaged 2 wins per season for so long? They now have forward momentum and are putting revenue back into football. One title from now those tarps could come off and that block E could be the face of the MAC? I won't hold by breath because I believe Creighton is gone at the first offer over 1.5 mil? Still. The 10k or so they had last season was actually asses in seats and they put on a product better than half of the league.
06-10-2019 08:27 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
UB IMO is the only one worth considering and even then their ceiling is probably more like AAC. There are some nice things about some of the other schools Ohio (fan support), Miami (academics & tradition), Akron/Kent/Toledo (play in larger metro areas), but I just don't see any of these schools ever making the jump. Had you had Ohio's local fan support with Miami's storied history/academics with the university located in the NE Ohio tv market then sure that university could be appealing to a P5. No such university exists in the MAC and UB is really the only one that I can see potentially ever checking all the boxes.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2019 12:50 AM by kreed5120.)
06-12-2019 12:46 AM
Advertisement

masttg Offline
1st String

My only beef is the 'quality of life' ranking for EMU. Washtenaw county is a desirable place to live.
06-12-2019 08:12 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2019 08:12 AM)masttg Wrote:  My only beef is the 'quality of life' ranking for EMU. Washtenaw county is a desirable place to live.

EMU has some rough apt complexes that students live in. Ann Arbor is nice. Ypsi? Meh. More like a mini Toledo.
06-12-2019 09:41 AM
masttg Offline
1st String

Yes. Exactly. The athletic director of EMU DOES live in a student apartment next to the railroad tracks.
06-12-2019 03:37 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2019 03:37 PM)masttg Wrote:  Yes. Exactly. The athletic director of EMU DOES live in a student apartment next to the railroad tracks.

Depot town is a nice little place though.
06-12-2019 07:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.