Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT -- D-Day: Reflections on an Anniversary
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
OT -- D-Day: Reflections on an Anniversary
Some of you might be interested in a LinkedIn article that I put together during lunch today, prompted by a rainy walk across campus this morning:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/d-day-ref...orge-webb/

A version was also published on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/george.webb.319...4487203619

Here's the text, but the LinkedIn and Facebook versions have a few pictures as well:

Quote:It was supposed to have been June 5.

The Allied invasion of Normandy, the product of well over a year of planning and preparation, was scheduled for Monday, June 5, 1944. But by June 4 it was clear that the next day’s weather would make attacking on the 5th unthinkable: high winds and stormy seas would make it impossible to launch landing craft, and low clouds would prevent Allied aircraft from seeing their targets. So on June 4, General Dwight Eisenhower, Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force, ordered a postponement: there would be no attack on the 5th, and everything was to remain on hold for a day.

Because of the distance to Normandy from the embarkation ports in England, much of the invasion armada had already set sail by the time the postponement order was issued. Recalling all of the ships to their ports would have hopelessly disrupted the complex mechanics the invasion. So the soldiers and sailors aboard those ships spent a sleepless and turbulent night on the English Channel.

The weather on June 5 was as bad as predicted – “impossible all along the target coast”, as Eisenhower subsequently reported to Washington. But that morning, the Allied meteorological team predicted a break in the weather for Tuesday, June 6 – not much, but just enough relative calm for just enough time to give the initial landings a chance of success. After that, more storms were expected, while the necessary conditions of moon and tide would not recur for at least two weeks. The choice, then, was to go on June 6, or to postpone the whole thing for a prolonged period. The views of Eisenhower’s commanders were mixed, and the ultimate decision was his alone.

As every history buff knows, Ike said go.

And so June 6 is immortalized as the date of the most famous amphibious operation and one of the most important battles in the history of mankind.

The weather did indeed improve slightly that day, and the operation worked – not exactly according to plan, but well enough to establish a lodgment from which the liberation of Western Europe could begin.

Today in Houston it has been raining all morning. As I walked to my office, hat pulled low and coat buttoned up against the rain, I could not help but think about the weather on the Channel coast 75 years ago – about the uncanny weather forecast, the gnawing uncertainty, the lonely command decision, the resourcefulness and bravery of the scores of thousands who made it work, and the heroic sacrifices of those who did not make it back.

Eisenhower’s Order of the Day for June 6 concluded with this paragraph: “Good luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.”

In his pocket he carried another, handwritten document, which he hoped never to need but which he had prepared just in case. It read:

“Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt, it is mine alone.”

The Supreme Commander’s Order of the Day uses the first person singular just once in its 238 words.

The note that was never sent – all of 65 words – uses it three times.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019 02:44 PM by georgewebb.)
06-05-2019 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
RE: OT -- D-Day: Reflections on an Anniversary
(06-05-2019 02:43 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  Some of you might be interested in a LinkedIn article that I put together during lunch today, prompted by a rainy walk across campus this morning:

Here's the text, but the LinkedIn and Facebook versions have a few pictures as well:

The Allied invasion of Normandy, the product of well over a year of planning and preparation, was scheduled for Monday, June 5, 1944. But by June 4 it was clear that the next day’s weather would make attacking on the 5th unthinkable: high winds and stormy seas would make it impossible to launch landing craft, and low clouds would prevent Allied aircraft from seeing their targets. So on June 4, General Dwight Eisenhower, Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force, ordered a postponement: there would be no attack on the 5th, and everything was to remain on hold for a day.

Because of the distance to Normandy from the embarkation ports in England, much of the invasion armada had already set sail by the time the postponement order was issued. Recalling all of the ships to their ports would have hopelessly disrupted the complex mechanics the invasion. So the soldiers and sailors aboard those ships spent a sleepless and turbulent night on the English Channel.

The weather on June 5 was as bad as predicted – “impossible all along the target coast”, as Eisenhower subsequently reported to Washington. But that morning, the Allied meteorological team predicted a break in the weather for Tuesday, June 6 – not much, but just enough relative calm for just enough time to give the initial landings a chance of success. After that, more storms were expected, while the necessary conditions of moon and tide would not recur for at least two weeks. The choice, then, was to go on June 6, or to postpone the whole thing for a prolonged period. The views of Eisenhower’s commanders were mixed, and the ultimate decision was his alone.

And so June 6 is immortalized as the date of the most famous amphibious operation and one of the most important battles in the history of mankind.

The weather did indeed improve slightly that day, and the operation worked – not exactly according to plan, but well enough to establish a lodgment from which the liberation of Western Europe could begin.

Today in Houston it has been raining all morning. As I walked to my office, hat pulled low and coat buttoned up against the rain, I could not help but think about the weather on the Channel coast 75 years ago – about the uncanny weather forecast, the gnawing uncertainty, the lonely command decision, the resourcefulness and bravery of the scores of thousands who made it work, and the heroic sacrifices of those who did not make it back.

Eisenhower’s Order of the Day for June 6 concluded with this paragraph: “Good luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.”

In his pocket he carried another, handwritten document, which he hoped never to need but which he had prepared just in case. It read:

“Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt, it is mine alone.”

The Supreme Commander’s Order of the Day uses the first person singular just once in its 238 words.

Really enjoyed this. Thank you.
06-05-2019 03:12 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(06-05-2019 03:12 PM)Musicowl1965 Wrote:  
(06-05-2019 02:43 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  Some of you might be interested in a LinkedIn article that I put together during lunch today, prompted by a rainy walk across campus this morning:

Really enjoyed this. Thank you.

+1!

Nice job George!
06-05-2019 06:14 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I just saw a neat story on a 97-year-old vet who just did a tandem parachute jump out of Normandy today. Rough landing, but he's okay.

I may have to watch Saving Private Ryan in the next day or two. Or maybe The Longest Day.
06-05-2019 06:17 PM
Advertisement

WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice
On June 6, 1944, my father was in a B-24 (as a Navigator) on bombing runs over Germany.
06-05-2019 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Unforgettable experience spending a day or two on and around the invasion beaches of Normandy. Most emotional, to me, is the big American cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer. About ten years ago I think today, was wandering the ranks and files of the graves. There was a marker for Gen. Leslie McNair, as I recall. There was an elderly, but very squared away, gentleman kneeling before it. Tears ran down his cheeks. “I was his Adjutant,” he told me.
06-05-2019 07:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiki Owl Online
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
If you aren’t familiar with the work of Marina Amaral here is a link to her website with D-Day photos she has colorized. Her work is simply amazing. I encourage you to look at other topics she has done...her “Faces of Auschwitz” is particularly chilling.

https://marinamaral.com/2019/06/d-day-in-color/
06-06-2019 08:58 AM
Advertisement

wheredidmypantsgo Offline
All American

I Root For: the Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I took an American Airlines flight from Paris back to the US today, and when I checked in at the airport, all the AA employees were wearing US Flag ties, and then the AA admirals club lounge had a big "Thank You" spelled out in balloons and a special display of photos from the D-Day invasion and large US flags.

Then the pilot came over the loud speaker and pointed out the Normandy beaches as we flew over them, so we could see them.

I thought all this was nice.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2019 12:37 PM by wheredidmypantsgo.)
06-06-2019 12:36 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
06-06-2019 02:18 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

There is a commemoration on Saturday morning June 8 at the Battleship Texas. I plan to attend the ceremony, which ends at about 9 AM. If anyone else plans to go, please let me know. Perhaps we can carpool!

Details below and at https://www.facebook.com/events/1158754594308551/

Quote:Schedule · Saturday, June 8, 2019
7:30 AM Ship Opens for Ceremony
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM D-Day 75th Anniversary Commemorative Ceremony
9:30 AM - 2:00 PM D-Day 75th Anniversary Commemoration Activities
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Special Presentation by Capt. Kai Torkelson, Commander, Norfolk Naval Shipyard

Details
Remember the 75th anniversary of the Normandy Invasion aboard Battleship TEXAS, the last remaining battleship to have served during D-Day. Join us for a day of activities to commemorate TEXAS' part in the decisive battle, and to remember the sacrifices of all who served.

ACTIVITY SCHEDULE
All activities are free with general admission to the ship. Program and activities are subject to change. Please look for posted notices.

8 a.m. – D-DAY 75TH ANNIVERSARY COMMEMORATIVE CEREMONY
The ceremony on the ship's bow is free and open to the public. Boarding will begin at 7:30 a.m.

Special guests include:
Former TEXAS crew members and their families
Samuel J. Cox, USN, RADM (Retired), Director, Navy History and Heritage Command
Charles Hewell, P.E., CAPT USN (Retired)
Wayne Thompson, CWO4, USCG (Retired)
Community Band of Southeast Texas
Sea Cadets Color Guard
The Patriot Guard
Cub Scout Pack 1292, Sam Houston Council, recognizing D-Day Medal of Honor recipients.

Refreshments provided by the Battleship TEXAS Foundation will be served immediately following the ceremony.

9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. – EVENT ACTIVITIES
Regular ship admission charges apply.
Ages 12-64: $12; 65+: $6; Ages 5-11: $3; Ages 4 & Younger: Free
Active & Retired Military: Free
Families of Active Military (limit 5): Free

ON THE SHIP
11 a.m. - "The Story of Two USS TEXAS Ships"
A Special Presentation by Capt. Kai Torkelson
Commander, Norfolk Naval Shipyard
(Dreadnought Room, 2nd Deck)
- "When the Eyes of TEXAS Were Upon Normandy: D-Day Remembrances from the Battleship's Crew" A New D-Day Exhibit (Officers Wardroom, 2nd Deck)
- First Texas Volunteer Docents (throughout the ship), providing special access to the Navigation Bridge
- Lone Star Living History Association re-enactors (throughout the ship), portraying TEXAS crewmembers
- Sixth Cavalry Historical Association, portraying Army Rangers (Casemate 8, 2nd Deck) and German POWs (Brig, 3rd Deck)
- D-Day Touch Table (Port Air Castle, Main Deck)
- "Simulating D-Day: Tactics on the Tabletop" sponsored by Beer & Pretzels Wargaming (Christensen Room, 2nd Deck)
- Vintage Radio Recordings and Speeches played throughout the day around the ship

Also...Battleship TEXAS' new Audio Tour will be available in the Ship Store

"ENCAMPMENT" (in the park)
(all of the following activities are free, except food/ refreshments)
- Vintage Military Vehicles and Army Encampment sponsored by the 6th Cavalry Historical Association
- "Saluting Our Homefront Heroes" Pop-Up Museum sponsored by the Houston Maritime Museum (Port Air Castle, Main Deck)
- Entertainment from 1940s-style singer Maria Thorne and Big-Band sounds of The Jazz Connection
- Food and refreshments available for purchase from The Lunch Bag & Smoothie Strong Food Trucks, and the park's Ship Store
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2019 03:57 PM by georgewebb.)
06-06-2019 03:53 PM
Advertisement

grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
nicely written, George
06-07-2019 10:56 AM
NYNightOwl Online
NYOwl

A tough read reported in 1960 about how brutal it really was on the ground that day in 1944.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc...ch/303365/
06-07-2019 12:21 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(06-07-2019 10:56 AM)grol Wrote:  nicely written, George

Thank you, sir! For something I knocked out during my lunch hour, I thought it came out pretty well.

On the other hand, the story of Overlord has been a favorite subject of mine since 3rd grade or so. In some sense, I’ve probably been subconsciously composing that article in my head for over four decades; my rainy walk that morning just brought it out.
06-07-2019 01:08 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

Bravo Zulu, George!
06-07-2019 01:30 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
It seems somewhat appropriate that two days following the anniversary, Sir Winston won the Belmont Stakes today in a bit of an upset. Sir Winston was named after Churchill, and is trained by the same trainer who trained the Preakness Winner (War of Will).
06-08-2019 06:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.