Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-03-2019 06:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
RE: Article on P5 bowl lineup
...and an AAC team is expected to replace them. I know attendance isn't a huge part of bowl business models anymore, but unless they get UC and a Big Ten team from the Great Lakes to come they'll draw flies like they have against the ACC.
06-03-2019 07:18 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(06-03-2019 07:18 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  ...and an AAC team is expected to replace them. I know attendance isn't a huge part of bowl business models anymore, but unless they get UC and a Big Ten team from the Great Lakes to come they'll draw flies like they have against the ACC.

Why doesn't the B1G insist on its backyard G5 at least as part of the tie?

It probably doesn't matter much anyways as the B1G struggled to send a team every year as a 7th pick, much less a 9th pick as it is now once you factor in sending multiple teams to the CFP.
06-03-2019 08:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(06-03-2019 07:18 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  ...and an AAC team is expected to replace them. I know attendance isn't a huge part of bowl business models anymore, but unless they get UC and a Big Ten team from the Great Lakes to come they'll draw flies like they have against the ACC.

No offense guys, but nothing matters anymore but TV ratings, and the AAC delivers.
06-04-2019 02:47 AM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

If a Garfield balloon is part of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade which pulls in a 18.0 rating does it mean that Garfield pulls in ratings?

When you put his cartoon on Nickelodeon it rates at 0.18.

Obviously timeslots drive ratings. AAC ratings are about 50 percent in the same timeslot as P5 product. I'm not sure the MAC couldn't pull in the same ratings, particularly with a P5 team on the other side of the card as many of those AAC slots have had.

If you think you're going to pull a 3.0 or 4.0 rating in the Quick Lane with an AAC involved good luck with that one. It will be the same 1.0 to 2.0 rating as if it was MAC vs. CUSA.
06-04-2019 06:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(06-04-2019 02:47 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

No offense guys, but nothing matters anymore but TV ratings, and the AAC delivers.

I'd agree if one of the big names in the AAC goes, but something tells me that you guys will be making Detroit one of your last bowl slots. To the average viewer the likes of UCF and Houston definitely have more name value, but the teams that'll actually be playing (e.g. Tulane, Tulsa) are no more notable than NIU or WMU.
06-04-2019 07:35 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(06-04-2019 07:35 AM)Love and Honor Wrote:  

I'd agree if one of the big names in the AAC goes, but something tells me that you guys will be making Detroit one of your last bowl slots. To the average viewer the likes of UCF and Houston definitely have more name value, but the teams that'll actually be playing (e.g. Tulane, Tulsa) are no more notable than NIU or WMU.

The AAC doesn't slot its bowl games based on standings, it usually sends its bowl participants to geographically aligned bowls. In other words Tulsa and Tulane will never see the Quick Lane Bowl. You'll see UC, Temple, UConn and probably Navy going to this bowl if they don't capture the access bowl- regardless of record.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2019 11:49 AM by CliftonAve.)
06-04-2019 11:48 AM
Advertisement

wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Ask and you shall receive, MAC will be a primary QLB tie-in starting in 2020: https://www.facebook.com/76047063173/pos...333628174/

I thought they had to have those bundles of AAC cash though...
06-04-2019 01:12 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU

Sorry dude, any uptick in TV ratings brought by AAC teams (save a couple who will usually go to better bowls) will be dwarfed by the B10 team that will (ideally) be there anyway. I absolutely believe the bowl itself would rather get a MAC team (which they now are) as long as ESPN allows it.

Obviously a bowl in Detroit is no big loss for the AAC but y'all need to get over yourselves.
06-04-2019 01:19 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(06-04-2019 01:12 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  Ask and you shall receive, MAC will be a primary QLB tie-in starting in 2020: https://www.facebook.com/76047063173/pos...333628174/

Not the first time Brett McMurphy has spread "fake news". I am not just talking about the OSU stuff a year or so ago, he went out over his skis many times when he covered the Big East a decade ago. I don't know if he has terrible sources or if he just makes stuff up. Either way, its why he is now working for Stadium instead of ESPN or some other better sports entity.
06-04-2019 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2019 01:40 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(06-04-2019 01:12 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  Ask and you shall receive, MAC will be a primary QLB tie-in starting in 2020: https://www.facebook.com/76047063173/pos...333628174/

Not the first time Brett McMurphy has spread "fake news". I am not just talking about the OSU stuff a year or so ago, he went out over his skis many times when he covered the Big East a decade ago. I don't know if he has terrible sources or if he just makes stuff up. Either way, its why he is now working for Stadium instead of ESPN or some other better sports entity.

He also has the Myrtle Beach Bowl game wrong which he states as SBC, CUSA and AAC. The MAC is in that one instead of the AAC too.
06-04-2019 03:59 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Huge on so many levels.

The best tie the MAC has ever had if I can recall correctly was B1G #7 of when the B1G had 11 teams. That meant it was four teams from the bottom of the standings.

With this new one the rules are the B1G has to send 5 different schools for each of its 9 bowls. The Pinstripe is down is going to want Rutgers, Maryland or PSU. Redbox is in San Fran vs PAC and a lot of travel. Its conceivable the B1G supplies a pick to the Quick Lane as high as #7 and no worse than 9. That means it will be between 5 to 7 teams from the bottom of the standings.

For this reason its probably the best G5 tie with a P5. Armed Forces is 3 from the bottom of the XII. Christmas Bowl is 4 to the bottom of the PAC. AAC highest bowl is 5 to the bottom of the SEC and we know that will be shoved down further because the SEC places 3 teams in the CFP regularly.
06-04-2019 04:32 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Love seeing the MAC back in Detroit. And with a chance to face the Big Ten? That's some tasty gravy.
06-04-2019 05:14 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

While we're on the topic, if you could choose six tie-ins for the MAC which would you select? Realism be damned, but you can't choose NY6 bowls or create new games.

1. Citrus vs. SEC - It's Florida in December, it's the SEC, and technically we had this tie-in when it was the Tangerine Bowl.
2. Detroit vs. Big Ten - Local game against the Big Ten or some southern school that has to travel to us for once.
3. Music City vs. AAC - Nashville is great and it's probably the closest bowl city outside of Detroit.
4. Las Vegas vs. MWC - This would be cool in the Raiders new stadium, and like Orlando we have some postseason history there (albeit with the Great West).
5. Mobile vs. Sun Belt - A nice little city that supports the game well.
6. New Orleans vs. C-USA - Why not keep the theme of destination cities rolling.
06-04-2019 08:00 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

As far as a G5 sliding up the tie-in ladder with the P5 it was thought the AAC might be able to do so with its big new TV contract with ESPN which includes a significant amount of ABC regular season games.

What we are seeing instead starting with this year it looks like is the weekend of December 20th becoming a second big bowl weekend with some of the bowls now elevated to ABC on Saturday instead of just being mid week filler.

The best hope for the G5 is try to get an expanded CFP to an NY8 or NY10 where they can send their champions to it every year. Las Vegas, Outback, Alamo, Gator could be new access bowls in an expanded CFP.
06-05-2019 08:26 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(06-05-2019 08:26 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  As far as a G5 sliding up the tie-in ladder with the P5 it was thought the AAC might be able to do so with its big new TV contract with ESPN which includes a significant amount of ABC regular season games.

What we are seeing instead starting with this year it looks like is the weekend of December 20th becoming a second big bowl weekend with some of the bowls now elevated to ABC on Saturday instead of just being mid week filler.

The best hope for the G5 is try to get an expanded CFP to an NY8 or NY10 where they can send their champions to it every year. Las Vegas, Outback, Alamo, Gator could be new access bowls in an expanded CFP.

I don't know how working the Las Vegas bowl into say NY8 would work, given the new agreement for that bowl, BUT it would certainly be quite a gig to have a New Year's bowl in Vegas..

I would think it would be a great destination bowl game even though Vegas weather can be so-so in mid-winter (the stadium is enclosed so that much would be fine). One should not confuse Vegas and Phoenix on January 1. Phonenis is much warmer.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2019 06:21 AM by emu steve.)
06-06-2019 06:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.