Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why doesn't Auburn schedule Florida and Tennessee OOC?
Bookmark and Share
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Why doesn't Auburn schedule Florida and Tennessee OOC?
If Auburn fans, Florida fans, and Tennessee fans want these games to happen, this is a way they could happen until the SEC actually schedules them as in-conference games. UNC is doing this with Wake Forest in football, so a precedent has already been set. Why not follow UNC's and Wake's example guys??
06-02-2019 01:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Why doesn't Auburn schedule Florida and Tennessee OOC?
(06-02-2019 01:10 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  If Auburn fans, Florida fans, and Tennessee fans want these games to happen, this is a way they could happen until the SEC actually schedules them as in-conference games. UNC is doing this with Wake Forest in football, so a precedent has already been set. Why not follow UNC's and Wake's example guys??

Probably because Auburn was promised in '92 when we split into divisions with Arkansas and South Carolina coming on board, that with the next expansion we would be moved back to the East so our guys didn't think the situation would become so permanent.

These matters are being discussed secretly at the Spring Meeting. There will be some kind of remedy forthcoming, but probably not for 4 or 5 years.
06-02-2019 01:43 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(06-02-2019 01:43 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-02-2019 01:10 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  If Auburn fans, Florida fans, and Tennessee fans want these games to happen, this is a way they could happen until the SEC actually schedules them as in-conference games. UNC is doing this with Wake Forest in football, so a precedent has already been set. Why not follow UNC's and Wake's example guys??

Probably because Auburn was promised in '92 when we split into divisions with Arkansas and South Carolina coming on board, that with the next expansion we would be moved back to the East so our guys didn't think the situation would become so permanent.

These matters are being discussed secretly at the Spring Meeting. There will be some kind of remedy forthcoming, but probably not for 4 or 5 years.

Under current rules, adding more members will essentially create two conferences within one in regards to football scheduling. Now if Fluge is correct in saying that the Big Ten are finally interested in doing away with divisions, then that should make everyone’s scheduling concerns almost vanish. This issue needs to be resolved prior to any serious expansion or realignment can begin.
06-02-2019 04:28 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-02-2019 04:28 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Under current rules, adding more members will essentially create two conferences within one in regards to football scheduling. Now if Fluge is correct in saying that the Big Ten are finally interested in doing away with divisions, then that should make everyone’s scheduling concerns almost vanish. This issue needs to be resolved prior to any serious expansion or realignment can begin.

If everybody played 3 annual rivals and rotated 5 of the other 10 teams, I figure 2 of Auburn's annual games would be Alabama and Georgia... who would be #3 - Florida?
06-02-2019 05:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-02-2019 05:22 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(06-02-2019 04:28 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

If everybody played 3 annual rivals and rotated 5 of the other 10 teams, I figure 2 of Auburn's annual games would be Alabama and Georgia... who would be #3 - Florida?

We played 5 annually after Georgia Tech left, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State, and Tennessee. Before that Georgia Tech was our oldest and longest running annual rival. We played every year from 1892 until 1978 with only a 2 year break during WWII when many schools didn't field a team.

We lost Tech due to a series of disputes between Bobby Dodd and Bear, among a few other issues.

But if we expanded to 18 or 20 and went divisionless Auburn would push for the 5 I listed to be their core schedule.
06-02-2019 10:54 AM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina

I think next year we get some resolution on this. At minimum, I think we get a 9 game schedule
06-03-2019 09:06 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-03-2019 09:06 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  

I think next year we get some resolution on this. At minimum, I think we get a 9 game schedule

I half expect the Big Ten and Pac-12 to push something like "you can play without divisions as long as you play 9 conference games" - a poison pill, basically.
06-03-2019 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(06-03-2019 09:54 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I half expect the Big Ten and Pac-12 to push something like "you can play without divisions as long as you play 9 conference games" - a poison pill, basically.

They may lose the ACC on that.

The ACC has several schools that play non-conference rivals every season. That and unless they start counting the Notre Dame game as a conference game then the math is going to get sticky.

With the Big 12, unless they expand again then they already have what they want. I'm not sure their support could be counted on either.
06-03-2019 01:27 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-03-2019 01:27 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

The ACC has several schools that play non-conference rivals every season. That and unless they start counting the Notre Dame game as a conference game then the math is going to get sticky.

With the Big 12, unless they expand again then they already have what they want. I'm not sure their support could be counted on either.

I think it would be fine to just to require every P school to schedule 10P games and let each conference decide how many of those 10 would be conference games.
06-03-2019 01:35 PM
Advertisement

bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
Going back to being divisionless and having 5 locked rivalries, it would work nicely because those additions to 16, 18, or 20 would likely come from the periphery, such as Oklahoma, North Carolina, Virginia, and addition(s) from Texas. I think below are the "musts" in terms of locked rivalries (feel free to correct me if I missed on any; just my impressions). As you can see, the SEC border states have plenty of room for expansion adds from the east or the west:

TAMU (2) - LSU, Arkansas
LSU (4) - TAMU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss. St.
Arkansas (3) - TAMU, LSU, Missouri
Missouri (1) - Arkansas
Ole Miss (2) - LSU, Miss. State
Miss. State (3) - Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU
Alabama (3) - Miss. State, Tennessee, Auburn
Auburn (4) - Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee
Vanderbilt (0) - None, actually. I strongly believe UT would prefer at least 5 other rivalries over Vandy.
Tennessee (4) - Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, Auburn
Kentucky (1) - Tennessee
Georgia (4) - Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, Auburn
Florida (3) - Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn
South Carolina (2) - Georgia, Florida

Obviously, the geographic center of the SEC (Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee) have more "must" games than border states or newer additions, but everyone has room for one more big rivalry. Alabama, Auburn, and the Mississippi's would likely fill out their top five amongst each other and the old SEC guard, but there is certainly room for our most probable additions to jump right in with 5 historic or new regional rivalries that would be both captivating and profitable.
06-03-2019 02:50 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

Yeah Clemson (and I think FSU) are very big on wanting to play two P5s out of conference every year. Going to 9 conference games would probably be a big sticking point
06-03-2019 05:10 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(06-03-2019 01:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-02-2019 01:43 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Probably because Auburn was promised in '92 when we split into divisions with Arkansas and South Carolina coming on board, that with the next expansion we would be moved back to the East so our guys didn't think the situation would become so permanent.

I think it would be fine to just to require every P school to schedule 10P games and let each conference decide how many of those 10 would be conference games.

I like this idea better. Think this is where we are headed whether it is explicitly in the rules or not
06-03-2019 05:12 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK

With the way UF ******* about their rivalry with LSU, I'm not sure the Gator's request is anything other than lip service. AU v UT is certainly something both parties are interested in. The question is whether if it is worth it to give up the 7th home game.
06-04-2019 01:38 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-04-2019 01:38 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

With the way UF ******* about their rivalry with LSU, I'm not sure the Gator's request is anything other than lip service. AU v UT is certainly something both parties are interested in. The question is whether if it is worth it to give up the 7th home game.

Even if we go to a 10P game requirement and 9 conference games you will still have 5 at home and 5 away and 2 buy games to get to 7. It's the A.D.'s fault if it doesn't happen.
06-04-2019 01:59 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(06-04-2019 01:59 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Even if we go to a 10P game requirement and 9 conference games you will still have 5 at home and 5 away and 2 buy games to get to 7. It's the A.D.'s fault if it doesn't happen.

Exactly. Plenty of schools it all the time with no issues
06-04-2019 04:32 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(06-04-2019 04:32 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

Probably will do away with neutral site intersectional matchups.
06-04-2019 10:29 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(06-04-2019 10:29 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(06-04-2019 04:32 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

Probably will do away with neutral site intersectional matchups.

Why would it? Even with 9 conference games that still leaves a spot for an away/neutral game every other year?
06-05-2019 06:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.