Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019-20 women's basketball
cschierh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
2019-20 women's basketball
An early look at the women's roster for next season is posted on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.

The Flashes return 87 percent of their scoring from last season but lose top defenders and rebounders Alexa Golden and Merissa Barber-Smith.

There's considerable potential for increased scoring from guard Asiah Dingle, forward Lindsey Thall and guard Hannah Young.

The three incoming freshmen averaged a total of 53 points in high school. 6-1 forward Nila Blackford was first-team all-state, regional player of the year and a finalist for Miss Basketball in Kentucky. Newark's Katie Shumate (5-11) and Olmsted Falls' Clare Kelly (5-8) were second-team all-Ohio and were excellent 3-point shooters. Shumate was district player of the year.

To me, it looks like another 20-win team.

The Flashes also have added 6-4 transfer Linsey Marchese from Indiana, but she won't be eligible for a year. She averaged just two points and two rebounds at Indiana but was a three-star prospect at her Georgia High School.
05-27-2019 09:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fan12 Offline
Water Engineer

RE: 2019-20 women's basketball
(05-27-2019 09:15 PM)cschierh Wrote:  An early look at the women's roster for next season is posted on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.

The Flashes return 87 percent of their scoring from last season but lose top defenders and rebounders Alexa Golden and Merissa Barber-Smith.

There's considerable potential for increased scoring from guard Asiah Dingle, forward Lindsey Thall and guard Hannah Young.

The three incoming freshmen averaged a total of 53 points in high school. 6-1 forward Nila Blackford was first-team all-state, regional player of the year and a finalist for Miss Basketball in Kentucky. Newark's Katie Shumate (5-11) and Olmsted Falls' Clare Kelly (5-8) were second-team all-Ohio and were excellent 3-point shooters. Shumate was district player of the year.

The Flashes also have added 6-4 transfer Linsey Marchese from Indiana, but she won't be eligible for a year. She averaged just two points and two rebounds at Indiana but was a three-star prospect at her Georgia High School.

IU didn't get her the ball in the post they were guard scoring team . She is a beast and one of the toughest if not toughest post in the BigTen.

1500 pt scorer in high school.. 700 bounds.. Prospect Nation 4 star .. 14 best post ( 2017 ) class.. i've watched this kid.. she will score in bunches.. Kent going to have a different look when she is ready to roll..
05-28-2019 02:34 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

(05-28-2019 02:34 PM)Fan12 Wrote:  
(05-27-2019 09:15 PM)cschierh Wrote:  An early look at the women's roster for next season is posted on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.

IU didn't get her the ball in the post they were guard scoring team . She is a beast and one of the toughest if not toughest post in the BigTen.

1500 pt scorer in high school.. 700 bounds.. Prospect Nation 4 star .. 14 best post ( 2017 ) class.. i've watched this kid.. she will score in bunches.. Kent going to have a different look when she is ready to roll..

Sounds most encouraging. Looking at her Indiana stats, I wondered whether she'd be like Merissa -- all rebounding and defense. Having a really good post threat would make this team really taugh.

The 20-21 team could be really special.They lose Carter -- a very good player -- and Poole -- a solid player. But The Class of 22 will be juniors. They three incoming freshmen will have had a year of college basketball. The one announced incoming freshman is a two-time first-team all-stater.
05-28-2019 03:40 PM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
The big question is, how long will Starkey be around? That's the Catch-22 as a mid-major. If you have too much success with a new coach, you have to start over. Look at Buffalo on the men's side and Miami on the women's. Oats lasted three years and Duffy two years. I don't expect Ohio's women's coach to be around much longer, either.
05-29-2019 10:56 AM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

The worst case scenario is to have a coach not good enough to move up, but not bad enough to fire.
05-29-2019 01:03 PM
Fan12 Offline
Water Engineer

(05-29-2019 01:03 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  The worst case scenario is to have a coach not good enough to move up, but not bad enough to fire.

If Coach gets his team to the ( Big Dance ) and wins the 1st game , then I believe he will get attention from Power Five teams..... Don't know if Coach would be all that interested in another Mid Major ( rebuild ) My 2 cents..
05-30-2019 09:08 AM
Advertisement

cschierh Offline
1st String

Whether and how quickly Starkey is likely to move on has come up a bunch of times here and on my blog. Some things to think about:

1, There aren't a lot of Power Five openings. There were four last season.

2. Other MAC coaches also are likely candidates to move up. Buffalo's Felisha Legette-Jack was a finalist for two of the four Power Five openings this season. Bob Boldon has 120 wins and three division titles in six seasons at Ohio. Ball State's Brady Sallee and NIU's Lisa Carlsen have resumes similar to Starkey's.

3. Miami's Megan Duffy did move to Marquette of the Big East this spring after a 44-20 record in two years. She previous had been associate head coach at Michigan. (Does the Big East made a Power Six?)

4. Women are getting the bulk of the open head coaching jobs in Division I. All four Power Five openings went to women. Of 35 Division I openings this spring and summer, women got 29 of them. Women have been 10 of the last 13 hires in the Big Ten and ACC.

I agree with Fan12 that if Starkey were to win a couple of MAC championships and some NCAA games, he'd get interest from the Power Five/Six. But Legette-Jack has already done that. Boldon has come very close to doing that. And they're still at Buffalo and Ohio.

Successful mid-major coaches do move on. But I don't think anything is imminent. And sometimes they stay. Sue Guevara has been at Central Michigan for 16 years, Tricia Cullop has been at Toledo for 12, and Bob Lindsay was at Kent for 23.

So for now, let's just enjoy having a good coach and good team again.

(And welcome, Fan12. It's nice to have more women's fans on the board. And I"m pretty sure you already have better sources than I do.)
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2019 03:29 PM by cschierh.)
05-31-2019 03:21 PM
burden Online
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-31-2019 03:21 PM)cschierh Wrote:  Whether and how quickly Starkey is likely to move on has come up a bunch of times here and on my blog. Some things to think about:

2. Other MAC coaches also are likely candidates to move up. Buffalo's Felisha Legette-Jack was a finalist for two of the four Power Five openings this season. Bob Boldon has 120 wins and three division titles in six seasons at Ohio. Ball State's Brady Sallee and NIU's Lisa Carlsen have resumes similar to Starkey's.

3. Miami's Megan Duffy did move to Marquette of the Big East this spring after a 44-20 record in two years. She previous had been associate head coach at Michigan. (Does the Big East made a Power Six?)

4. Women are getting the bulk of the open head coaching jobs in Division I. All four Power Five openings went to women. Of 35 Division I openings this spring and summer, women got 29 of them. Women have been 10 of the last 13 hires in the Big Ten and ACC.

I agree with Fan12 that if Starkey were to win a couple of MAC championships and some NCAA games, he'd get interest from the Power Five/Six. But Legette-Jack has already done that. Boldon has come very close to doing that. And they're still at Buffalo and Ohio.

Successful mid-major coaches do move on. But I don't think anything is imminent. And sometimes they stay. Sue Guevara has been at Central Michigan for 16 years, Tricia Cullop has been at Toledo for 12, and Bob Lindsay was at Kent for 23.

(And welcome, Fan12. It's nice to have more women's fans on the board. And I"m pretty sure you already have better sources than I do.)

Power 5 is more a football term. The Big East, American, Mountain West and maybe even the Atlantic 10 could be a Power 9.
06-01-2019 02:40 PM
Fan12 Offline
Water Engineer

(06-01-2019 02:40 PM)burden Wrote:  
(05-31-2019 03:21 PM)cschierh Wrote:  Whether and how quickly Starkey is likely to move on has come up a bunch of times here and on my blog. Some things to think about:

Power 5 is more a football term. The Big East, American, Mountain West and maybe even the Atlantic 10 could be a Power 9.

Thanks for the welcome ( cschierh ) very informative and pretty much spot on....

Power 5 will expand .. someday ...( but politics behind that expansion ) Tons of money support P5's... WBB take private charter's all the time.. huge amount of gear give'n out to athletes..
06-01-2019 06:50 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

Starkey gets a 4 year extension. Keeping him with Kent through 2023. https://kentstatesports.com/news/2019/6/...nsion.aspx
06-19-2019 11:00 AM
GoFlashes8 Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-19-2019 11:00 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  Starkey gets a 4 year extension. Keeping him with Kent through 2023. https://kentstatesports.com/news/2019/6/...nsion.aspx

Nice, good news as Todd has done a great job in his 3 years on campus.
06-19-2019 03:25 PM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
IMO, a very good move.
06-19-2019 03:39 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

Obviously Starkey's new contract is great. None of us would have expected this much success this fast when he was hired three years ago.

Starkey has been a great coach to cover -- accessible and quotable. My limited contact with Senderoff also has been good, but Starkey's postgame interviews give more insight and far fewer cliches.

I remember how awful the X's and O's coaching was under O'Banion. Starkey's teams are much better prepared, and players seem to listen and make adjustments during games. Stuff we complain about -- like guards trying to do too much on their owns last season -- is something the coaches see, too, and keep trying to correct. In an interview with Allen Moff this summer, Starkey said he thought they got about as much out of last season's team as there was there, and as I think about it, that sure rings true. They lost games they should/have/might have won; they also won some they could well have lost. But at the beginning of the year, I would have thought 20 wins would have been on the distant edge of possibilities.

So are we set for four years? Well, not necessarily. Remember Nate Oates signed an extension at Buffalo, then left for Alabama two weeks later. (Buffalo did get a $750,000 buyout out of it.). We had a discussion here a few weeks ago on the likelihood of Starkey leaving, and most of what we said is still true. I'm pretty that if a Power Five school called tomorrow, Starkey would at least answer the phone. But the new contract is to some extent a renewed commitment from both sides.

The university's announcement had no details on salary or incentives. I'm also curious if part of the deal was more money for his assistants. Coaches often make that part of a deal, and Starkey is very loyal to his assistants. All of that is public record. It should come out eventually.

There's more on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.

In other women's basketball news:

-- All of the incoming freshmen and the transfer from Indiana are on campus. Starkey tweeted at the end of the first week of summer workouts, "It’s super early but I’m lovin’ this group."

-- Jordan Korinek was rookie of the year in her for first professional season in Greece.

-- The NCAA approved a change in the shot clock for next year (for men and women). If the clock resets after an offensive rebound or foul in the front court, the time will go to 20 seconds, not 30. It's supposed to speed up the game. Biggest effect, I think, will be at the end of games when teams will be able to burn less time when they're leading and pull the ball out after an offensive rebound.

The women will also experiment moving the 3-point distance to the international line in next year's WNIT. The men are going to that distance -- 22 feet. 1 3/4 inch -- for all games next season. That's about 15 inches farther than it is now for men and women. I suspect the women will go to that distance in 2020-21.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2019 08:29 PM by cschierh.)
06-19-2019 08:26 PM
Fan12 Offline
Water Engineer

(06-19-2019 11:00 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  Starkey gets a 4 year extension. Keeping him with Kent through 2023. https://kentstatesports.com/news/2019/6/...nsion.aspx

Deserved ...
06-20-2019 11:05 AM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Wow, the Buckeyes are coming to Kent this year. First time OSU has visited a MAC school since 2000.
07-12-2019 06:04 AM
cschierh Offline
1st String

It's also the first time KSU has played Ohio State since 1981.

I did a blog post on it (got some of the best readership ever for a summer post).

OSU was 14-15 last season, playing a lineup with two graduate transfers from the MAC (Karly Santoro from BG and Carmen Grande from Ball State) and three freshmen.

Their freshmen class is ranked among the top four in the country, including five players in the top 65. Top rated is No. 6 Kierstan Bell, a McDonalds’s All-American from Canton McKinley and three-time Miss Basketball in Ohio.

--

Also announced the week:

Kent State will play two games at the Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Classic Dec. 21-22.

It's a pure mid-major event -- not a tournament per se. KSU will play Georgia Southern, 7-22 last season, and Troy, 22-9 last season with a WNIT berth.

Toledo also will play in the event.

Full non-conference schedule ought to be out in the next two or three weeks.

Full post, including an update on recruiting and other notes, is at wbbflashes.com.
07-13-2019 05:19 PM
Advertisement

cschierh Offline
1st String

Allen Moff's story on the OSU game Saturday said Kent State will also play Michigan and Purdue this season.

The Michigan game is part of the Akron Classic, where Kent and Akron play the same teams over two days. It alternates between Akron and Kent. Michigan was 22-12 last season. It lost two of its top three scorers, including 6-5 all-Big Ten center Hallie Thome. But it looks as if it has an excellent incoming freshman class.

Kent State lost but played well against the Wolverines in the 2017 WNIT and in non-conference play in the 2017-18 regular season.

The game at Purdue, which was 19-15 last season, will be Dec. 8. The Boilermakers have lost to Ohio twice and Ball State in the last two years. They've also beaten Central Michigan and Miami twice and Ball State once.

The Flashes also will play this season at Youngstown State and Duquesne. KSU beat Youngstown and lost to Duquesne in Kent last season.

Moff's story also said that KSU would play a return game at Ohio State in 2020.

In the story, coach Todd Starkey called the December game against OSU "a great matchup."

"Our goal is to see if we can fill the M.A.C. Center, put on a great game and create a lot of buzz for Kent State and Ohio State women’s basketball," he said. “It will be a great road game for Ohio State. We’re two teams in Ohio with great traditions that are trying to re-establish ourselves. Maybe this will spark a little in-state rivalry.”

“Being able play Power 5 schools at home is the next step toward increasing our profile. When we play those games, we’re not just trying to make money, we’re trying to compete and put ourselves in position to win.”

Moff called this year's OSU game "arguably the most intriguing non-conference home game in program history."

I can't argue with that.

Here's link to the Record-Courier story: https://www.record-courier.com/sports/20...te-nov-21.

KSU's full schedule is expected to be released in the next week or so.
07-13-2019 11:15 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

Central Michigan coach Sue Guevara, one of the MAC’s longest serving and most successful coaches, announced last week she was retiring.

Central had won three straight regular season MAC championships under Guevara. Her 2017-18 team was one of the best in league history, going 30-5 and reaching the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament. In 12 years at CMU, Guevara went 216-151 and won four MAC championships and three MAC tournaments.

Guevara's 2019 graduating seniors include MAC player of the year Reyna Frost and Presley Hudson, one of the best three-point shooters in league history. (Presley won the three-point shooting contest for women and men at this year’s NCAA tournament.) The 1917-18 MAC player of the year was Central’s Tinara Moore.

The new Central coach is Heather Oesterte, Guevara’s associate head coach for seven years and an assistant two years before that. Oesterle had been a player for Guevara when Guevara was head coach at Michigan in the early 2000s.

It will be interesting to see if Oesterte can keep Central rolling. The only similar circumstances I can remember is when Jennifer Roos succeeded Curt Miller during Bowling Green's domination of the MAC in the mid-2000s. Roos had two really good years, including a 30-5 season in 2013-14. Her teams never won more than 11 games after that, and she was fired after the 2017-18 season.

I spent some time looking at the records of MAC women's coaches. Here's what I found:

MAC coaches' records while in league

(Listed by overall winning percentage.)
  • BOB BOLDON, Ohio. 130-64 (.670). One overall MAC championship, one tournament title, three MAC East titles. One NCAA appearance, three WNIT bids (four wins). Starting seventh year.
  • TRICIA CULLOP, Toledo. 241-123 (.662). One MAC championship, one tournament title, four MAC West titles, one NCAA appearance, seven WNIT bids (11 wins, WNIT title in 2011-11). 13th year.
  • FELISHA LEGETTE-JACK, Buffalo. 142-85 (.626). Two tournament championships, one MAC East title. Three NCAA tournament appearances (reached Sweet 16 in 2017-18), One WNIT bid. Eighth year.
  • LISA CARLSEN, Northern Illinois. 66-49 (.573). One WNIT appearance. Fifth year.
  • BRADY SALLEE, Ball State. 128-98 (.547). Six WNIT appearances. Ninth year.
  • TODD STARKEY, Kent State. 52-45 (.536). One MAC East title. Two WNIT appearances. Fourth year.
  • MELISSA JACKSON, Akron, 16-15 (.516), Second year.
  • SHANE CLIPFEL, Western Michigan. 80-79 (.503). One WNIT appearance. Eighth year.
  • FRED CASTRO, Eastern Michigan. 31-62 (.333). Fourth year.
  • ROBYN FRALICK, Bowling Green. 9-21 (.300). Second year.
  • HEATHER OESTERTE, Central Michigan. 0-0. First year.
  • DEUNNA HENDRIX, Miami. 0-0. First year.
Guevara's .587 winning percentage had been third among current coaches. Her 12-year tenure was second longest.

Coaches' overall winning percentage (at current and previous schools are quite similar. Biggest exception is BG's Fralick at .824. She went 104-3 (!) with a national championship at Division II Ashland. Hendrix's record at High Point University was 125-93 (.573) with two WNIT appearances.

It's no wonder that MAC is better than it's ever been. Counting Guevara's preretirement record, Fralick's record at Ashland and Hendrix's at High Point, 11 of 12 league coaches have a lifetime winning record. Eastern Michigan's Castro is the only exception. By some rankings, Eastern had the best recruiting classes in the conference the last three years. But it hasn't shown up on the court yet.

There's an expanded story on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2019 11:23 PM by cschierh.)
07-16-2019 11:22 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

The women will take their first "international" summer trip in August.

It crosses no oceans; the team will be in Vancouver, Canada, Aug. 9-16.

The trip give a team more practice time (otherwise they're limited to four hours court time in summer, plus another four conditioning). The Flashes will play three Canadian college teams that haven't been announced yet. Coach Todd Starkey said they'd be "at three different levels."

It's a good time for the trip. KSU is working to blend three good new freshmen with two seniors and four sophomore who got a lot of playing time last semester.

Many teams take international trips these days. The rich schools will go to Europe or Asia. KSU's women have never been anywhere. (Kent's men have had several trips, mostly recently to Costa Rica in 2017.)

The NCAA allows a team to travel in summer every four years.

There's more the trip on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
07-26-2019 09:11 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

The women's non-conference schedule was officially released Wednesday, and it confirms the key games we already knew.

The Flashes play Ohio State in Kent on Nov. 21, Michigan at Akron (in the "Akron Classic") on Nov. 15 and Purdue at Purdue Dec. 6.

They'll also play Georgia Southern and Troy in the mid-major Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Classic Dec. 19-20.

Season opens the earliest in school history — Tuesday, Nov. 5, with a game at Duquesne. The Flashes play at Youngstown Nov. 8.

Home games besides OSU are Robert Morris Nov. 24, St. Bonaventure Dec. 3 and Hiram Dec. 30.

KSU will play Purdue Fort Wayne (formerly IPFW) in the other game of the Akron Classic.

The schedule may be slightly tougher than last season.

KSU plays three Power Five conference schools. Last season it played two. N.C. State (9), North Carolina )38) and Wright State (59), though, ranked higher than Michigan 46), Purdue (90) and Troy (93). OSU was 101st.

Six teams on the schedule were in top 140 RPI. Last year’s schedule had five.

Last year’s opponents included four teams with RPIs above 240. This year’s has three.

Kent was 20-13 last season with an RPI of 83. It returns four starters and 83.6% of its scoring.
08-08-2019 01:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.