Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time to Panic? Probably Not.
Bookmark and Share
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Time to Panic? Probably Not.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...port-says/

Is this an aberration? Or is it even accurate, i.e, other revenue streams bump us ahead?

Thanks in advance.
05-16-2019 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Time to Panic? Probably Not.
(05-16-2019 12:28 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...port-says/

Is this an aberration? Or is it even accurate, i.e, other revenue streams bump us ahead?

Thanks in advance.

Their new contract is kicking in.

I don't think it's that big of a deal honestly. That is, assuming we get paid what we're worth by CBS.

The only thing that irks me in regard to the Big Ten deal is ESPN's role in it. We've been a good, loyal partner for a long time now and have helped ESPN generate some pretty big audiences. Nonetheless, ESPN aided another league that gave them the finger years ago. For them it was a business decision, but I still don't like it.

If ESPN doesn't help us out in the next round of negotiations and realignment then I say to hell with them...
05-16-2019 01:58 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(05-16-2019 12:28 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...port-says/

Thanks in advance.

The BIG has smart fiscal staff.

Sankey doesn't reveal much. If the CBS Sports figures are incorrect, it would be easy to dispute by those with access.
05-16-2019 02:03 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-16-2019 02:03 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

Thanks in advance.

Sankey doesn't reveal much. If the CBS Sports figures are incorrect, it would be easy to dispute by those with access.

The Big 10 has alumni in these networks. The overwhelming viewer #'s are ours. If Sankey screws this up shame on us for ignoring some early signs of weakness as in the failure to head off and snuff out quarrels between schools.

The CBS contract is not just undervalued, but laughably undervalued. They are the national leader off of our product for college athletics. If they don't pony up and Sankey even goes to the presidents for less they should fire his butt on the spot and drag out the negotiations.

There is absolutely no reason the SEC should be second to anyone in TV revenue. We have the highest ratings, we have the highest in footprint viewer saturation for advertisers, we have the nicest venues and the largest crowds, and we have the overall best product. A total package worth less than 65 million for TV revenue is a bust for Sankey.

But as to ATU's observations about ESPN, I give you yet another illustration. I don't like Finebaum. He's a muckraker and the average caller to his show is little more than a T-shirt fan that he does a Jerry Springer routine with. But if we are going to have him then give me 1 solid reason to have a Big 10 guy and a Notre Dame guy on there with him. It's not their damn network and they serve as nothing but a snicker for the idiot callers he receives. So what I'm pointing out here is that his show and their role in it serves as nothing more than a false perpetuation of what the average SEC alumni is by pandering to trailer park trash instead of speaking with our graduates. And I use trailer park here pejoratively as a mental image. We have a lot of folks who live in mobile homes who would be imminently better informed and rational callers. The who show is offensive and it pisses me off!

I wanted the SEC network to have programming reflective of our schools, worthy of our graduates, and discussion shows that were for serious fans, with access to coaches, and which pushed our conference.

Finebaum gravitates to the innuendo, rumor mongering, and intrigue of piling on coaches who are in trouble. He is the basest possible representative for our conference. So ESPN insults us with that, and then compounds it with the Big 10 guy and N.D. guy giggling and acting smug over what are without question stereotyped depictions of Southerners, but who are far from being educated successful graduates of our schools.

That's what has me really ticked with ESPN. They screwed us over F.S.U. way back when we mistakenly turned to them for valuations. The were heavily involved in who we picked in 2010. They relented on F.S.U. and Clemson in 2011 only to take back their approval a few days later. They've been nothing but a meddling partner that has profited off of us.

Sankey is in the spotlight. If he bungles our contract negotiation we need to fire him before it is inked. There won't be many more at peak earnings. Demographics and the consumer trends of the young make this clear.
05-16-2019 03:00 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

(05-16-2019 03:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Thanks in advance.

The Big 10 has alumni in these networks. The overwhelming viewer #'s are ours. If Sankey screws this up shame on us for ignoring some early signs of weakness as in the failure to head off and snuff out quarrels between schools.

The CBS contract is not just undervalued, but laughably undervalued. They are the national leader off of our product for college athletics. If they don't pony up and Sankey even goes to the presidents for less they should fire his butt on the spot and drag out the negotiations.

There is absolutely no reason the SEC should be second to anyone in TV revenue. We have the highest ratings, we have the highest in footprint viewer saturation for advertisers, we have the nicest venues and the largest crowds, and we have the overall best product. A total package worth less than 65 million for TV revenue is a bust for Sankey.

But as to ATU's observations about ESPN, I give you yet another illustration. I don't like Finebaum. He's a muckraker and the average caller to his show is little more than a T-shirt fan that he does a Jerry Springer routine with. But if we are going to have him then give me 1 solid reason to have a Big 10 guy and a Notre Dame guy on there with him. It's not their damn network and they serve as nothing but a snicker for the idiot callers he receives. So what I'm pointing out here is that his show and their role in it serves as nothing more than a false perpetuation of what the average SEC alumni is by pandering to trailer park trash instead of speaking with our graduates. And I use trailer park here pejoratively as a mental image. We have a lot of folks who live in mobile homes who would be imminently better informed and rational callers. The who show is offensive and it pisses me off!

I wanted the SEC network to have programming reflective of our schools, worthy of our graduates, and discussion shows that were for serious fans, with access to coaches, and which pushed our conference.

Finebaum gravitates to the innuendo, rumor mongering, and intrigue of piling on coaches who are in trouble. He is the basest possible representative for our conference. So ESPN insults us with that, and then compounds it with the Big 10 guy and N.D. guy giggling and acting smug over what are without question stereotyped depictions of Southerners, but who are far from being educated successful graduates of our schools.

That's what has me really ticked with ESPN. They screwed us over F.S.U. way back when we mistakenly turned to them for valuations. The were heavily involved in who we picked in 2010. They relented on F.S.U. and Clemson in 2011 only to take back their approval a few days later. They've been nothing but a meddling partner that has profited off of us.

Sankey is in the spotlight. If he bungles our contract negotiation we need to fire him before it is inked. There won't be many more at peak earnings. Demographics and the consumer trends of the young make this clear.

OK, JRsec, glad you expanded on this.

I tune in, then off, on the Paul Finnbaum show. Some of the interviews are good. Not the entire show, though.

I respect Alabama and their impressive success as a fb contender for conference and national honors each season. The complaint isn't about the Tide here. But I get annoyed at the over-dwelling on one school and Nick Saban. I don't need to know what Saban has for dinner or when he passes his saintly gas. Give all schools due coverage in a more balanced way.

Agree JRsec, those sidekicks on the show add little substance. That's where there could be some "diversity" as a pro-SEC panel. I thought the two were basically technicians earlier. If so, technicians don't require being seen. Plus, concur that Finebaum takes nasty shots at coaches having struggles re-building or coping with an unusual tough season. This "kicking them when they are down" stuff only dampens the spirits of those schools' fans and adds to the challenges to overcome. There's a way to critique objectively a coaching situation without being personally demeaning. And agree, these call-in clowns stereotype southerners negatively. A few other callers are articulate, and have informed and thoughtful comments.

If rumors and chat are true that Sankey is overly partial to pleasing Alabama, then that is not good. That will lead to divisiveness and bickering. The PAC12 has a lot of that now.

If the SEC is indeed falling behind the BIG fiscally, these SEC Presidents better get some answers from Sankey fast.
05-16-2019 04:31 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-16-2019 04:31 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(05-16-2019 03:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Thanks in advance.

OK, JRsec, glad you expanded on this.

I tune in, then off, on the Paul Finnbaum show. Some of the interviews are good. Not the entire show, though.

I respect Alabama and their impressive success as a fb contender for conference and national honors each season. The complaint isn't about the Tide here. But I get annoyed at the over-dwelling on one school and Nick Saban. I don't need to know what Saban has for dinner or when he passes his saintly gas. Give all schools due coverage in a more balanced way.

Agree JRsec, those sidekicks on the show add little substance. That's where there could be some "diversity" as a pro-SEC panel. I thought the two were basically technicians earlier. If so, technicians don't require being seen. Plus, concur that Finebaum takes nasty shots at coaches having struggles re-building or coping with an unusual tough season. This "kicking them when they are down" stuff only dampens the spirits of those schools' fans and adds to the challenges to overcome. There's a way to critique objectively a coaching situation without being personally demeaning. And agree, these call-in clowns stereotype southerners negatively. A few other callers are articulate, and have informed and thoughtful comments.

If rumors and chat are true that Sankey is overly partial to pleasing Alabama, then that is not good. That will lead to divisiveness and bickering. The PAC12 has a lot of that now.

If the SEC is indeed falling behind the BIG fiscally, these SEC Presidents better get some answers from Sankey fast.

The baseline metric on cost per million viewers established in the last FOX / B1G contract places a new SEC contract with CBS in the 300 million range. That would be a payout of 61.5 million per school after the conference share. IMO that is the acceptable baseline for the SEC to begin with. Where Sankey is on the clock with me is in getting the new CBS deal done.

If CBS sincerely hopes to land the SEC bid they need to be wiling to abandon their old contract early. If they do and Sankey gets this done by 2021 the schools will get their new paydays early and won't miss out on a little over 16.3 million a year laboring under the last couple of years of the existing contract.

Alabama doesn't get preferential treatment. The issue is solely the permitted rancor between schools over petty issues that the commissioner should simply squash. The depth behind these where retaliation is involved is the real issue.

I see him as a weak bureaucrat with none of the charisma of Slive, none of the vision of Kramer, and a guy content with status quo. In my life if you aren't always pushing for better you get worse. That's my big concern with Sankey.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2019 04:51 PM by JRsec.)
05-16-2019 04:48 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(05-16-2019 03:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  The Big 10 has alumni in these networks.

Maybe we should expand with Syracuse? Didn't about half the employees of ESPN graduate from there?

Anyway, hopefully CBS realizes what they've got on their hands and they're willing to pay to keep it.

I imagine, however, that going to 9 league games will be necessary to get maximum value out of the deal.
05-16-2019 09:49 PM
Advertisement

OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

This is a Josh Kendall article today concerning Will Muschamp and whether or not his seat is hot. Fair enough. It explains what Muschamp needs to show for his fourth season facing a daunting fb schedule.

Note, the article references comments by Paul Finebaum.

The catalyst for coaching changes need not reside with a yapper for a network of which EVERY SEC school has a financial, promotional, broadcasting/entertainment investment. Report what's happening including the problems, but taking on an advocacy role to perhaps pre-maturely remove a coach for an individual campus is another matter. These coaches have lucrative deals contracted for years. It's not so simple.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/...67104.html
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019 09:56 AM by OdinFrigg.)
05-17-2019 09:47 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

Thanks in advance.

True. They suck at expansion so they have to be good at something.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2019 08:11 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
05-20-2019 08:10 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-16-2019 09:49 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

Maybe we should expand with Syracuse? Didn't about half the employees of ESPN graduate from there?

Anyway, hopefully CBS realizes what they've got on their hands and they're willing to pay to keep it.

I imagine, however, that going to 9 league games will be necessary to get maximum value out of the deal.
I fear that the only untouchable piece of sports is the Masters Tournament for CBS. Seems like everything else is just an option. They even gave up on the NFL in the past.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2019 08:19 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
05-20-2019 08:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-20-2019 08:18 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-16-2019 09:49 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I fear that the only untouchable piece of sports is the Masters Tournament for CBS. Seems like everything else is just an option. They even gave up on the NFL in the past.

No head of Sports Marketing at CBS gives up the #1 time slot and product in the nation when their advertising revenue depends upon it. They'll make us a solid offer. The question is who might pay more?
05-20-2019 08:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.