Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tribe basketball rumors
Bookmark and Share
TribeFam321 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WilliamMary
Tribe basketball rumors
I am hearing from a source close to the team that the 2019-2020 Tribe Men's Basketball team will host open tryouts for the remaining scholarships due to the inability to fill the scholarships in the spring.

Also, it is believed that Owens, Audige, and at least one other member of the current roster are leaning towards not returning as well. Owens and Audige will be able to transfer up, and an announcement regarding their situations will be in the not so distant future.

As for this mysterious other member(s), we can only keep our fingers crossed that it isn't Knight or Van Vliet.

Is this rock bottom?
05-02-2019 08:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TribeFam321 Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Tribe basketball rumors
On a more positive note, it appears as though that Paul will remain on the team in some fashion. Most likely as a graduate assistant as he finishes his third year of law school. Team will need his leadership.
05-02-2019 08:40 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
Tribe basketball rumors
So, I'm supposed to believe that the coaches have thrown in the towel and given up recruiting for 2019 in favor of open tryouts? I find this difficult to believe. The idea of giving up bothers me more than the inability to land guys. It very well could come to tryouts in the fall, which would be bad, but it still seems premature to make that kind of declaration IMO.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2019 09:16 PM by mrjoolius.)
05-02-2019 09:15 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
Tribe basketball rumors
I hope this intel isn’t accurate but nothing would surprise me at this point.

Did LJ show enough last year to “transfer up”?

AVV and Knight (unless he’s drafted) seem like very unlikely departures. What about Scott? Haven’t heard too much about him since all this started going down. I always thought he had solid skills/potential underneath plenty of careless freshman mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-02-2019 09:34 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

This is simply someone stirring the crazy pots we have boiling here on the message board. This is what the hysterical, non-stop grousing has brought on. Thanks @TribeFam321 for all of your inside knowledge. lol
05-02-2019 09:48 PM
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

Tribe basketball rumors
Yeah, not sure they do open tryouts for scholarships .... a walk on spot or two maybe, but probably not scholarships ....

Would have a hard hard time believing Huge, with her neck on the line with this move, would be ok with throwing in the recruiting towel, and same with Dane and crew in their first season here and Dane’s first season as a HC.

We certainly have a lot more action with 2020 recruits right now, but I highly highly doubt we are done with 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2019 09:53 PM by Naptown Tribe.)
05-02-2019 09:53 PM
Advertisement

TribeHoopster Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tribe
I mean it is only a few weeks away from the signing period ending and if LJ and Chase leave that leaves us with 7 open scholarships. No way we can fill those by then. And that's without the fact that Knight may elect to stay in the draft. It definitely isn't looking promising. Has our staff even been linked to any 2019 kids or transfers?
05-02-2019 10:12 PM
tribelifer Offline
1st String

I've been trying to keep a respectful distance from the board over the past month, dropping by to read and catch up, but trying not get too bummed out by the negative talk and conjecture.
I've even been pleased with the number of new posters over the past few weeks, as more members mean a stronger board community, but then you get stuff like this post (and a couple of recent posts by other new posters) which, for all the world, looks like someone just LOOKING to stir up trouble.

NO coach, in his right mind (especially a newly hired one), is going to announce, publicly OR privately, that he is just going to give up and use try outs to field a team!
That is especially true when there is still ample time left in the late signing period and LOTS of kids still looking for a scholarship.
It's just BS.

It is certainly not a great time in Tribeland right now, with all the uncertainty and indecision, the lack of news or any signings, but to post stuff like this, with no proof, is getting bad, even for a Message Board situation.

If you have solid info, please post, but don't just throw crap out here for the sake of trying to start negative rumors.
05-02-2019 10:24 PM
TribeFam321 Offline
Water Engineer

I would not post to spew 100% nonsense. Would be wasted time and energy for everyone.
05-02-2019 10:48 PM
Tac12 Offline
Water Engineer

I don’t believe TribeFam said that Dane “announced” anything at all; publicly or privately. If TribeFam “heard” that there were going to be open tryouts, it probably means that W&M is sending a loud and clear signal throughout the recruiting landscape that we’re “open for business”. It’s not a matter of “giving up”. Could it be a matter of desperation? Probably. I fear the ramifications of firing Shaver are coming home to roost with a clarity and profoundness that is shocking to some of you. Sure there are LOTS of kids looking for a scholarship. The problem arises when those kids have to legitimately qualify academically for William and Mary. There’s the rub, and it’s a big one. Only a very small number of those kids fit the bill. Hence, W&M is already pulling from a small pool of potential recruits. Compound that with a program that is now in transition (i.e. established recruiting pipelines destroyed); and it is entirely conceivable that the program is now in a desperate scramble to secure recruits.
05-03-2019 12:53 AM
Tac12 Offline
Water Engineer

P.S. For god sakes will someone please PM the loyal poster NJAlum the OTOD numbers. The poor man has suffered long enough!
05-03-2019 01:07 AM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Actually, if this major screw-up results in lower admissions standards for the MBB so as to land some recruits in 2019 and beyond, that would be an excellent unintended result / consequence of a major screw-up. Of all of the proposed changes to our normal way of doing things, this is the easiest to accomplish, with the most upside. One-two players per year will not affect the academic profile of the school. The Pres / AD should be able to get this done.

———————————————————-

The firing of Tony Shaver: the shame of William & Mary
05-03-2019 02:59 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I think it would be terrible to offer scholarships to folks at open try outs, but I also don't want to be giving out a lot of scholarships to players who aren't at the level that we need. We will have them for four years. That isn't good. You essentially create a class of players who shouldn't be on the team. I would much rather get some transfers who need to sit a year or grad transfers to fill in the gaps this year. Focus on 2020 recruiting and just hold your own this season with whatever you get.
05-03-2019 05:38 AM
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WillaMary
(05-02-2019 10:12 PM)TribeHoopster Wrote:  I mean it is only a few weeks away from the signing period ending and if LJ and Chase leave that leaves us with 7 open scholarships. No way we can fill those by then. And that's without the fact that Knight may elect to stay in the draft. It definitely isn't looking promising. Has our staff even been linked to any 2019 kids or transfers?

As far as I understand it the signing period deadline is not a hard deadline for high school seniors - they can sign LOIs after the period ends though they are not binding. And yes the staff has been connected with 2019 recruits but only one grad transfer (Kamga).
05-03-2019 06:01 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-03-2019 05:38 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I think it would be terrible to offer scholarships to folks at open try outs, but I also don't want to be giving out a lot of scholarships to players who aren't at the level that we need. We will have them for four years. That isn't good. You essentially create a class of players who shouldn't be on the team. I would much rather get some transfers who need to sit a year or grad transfers to fill in the gaps this year. Focus on 2020 recruiting and just hold your own this season with whatever you get.
I think it is a misworded. If they had open tryouts, the scholarship would go unfilled. Any players selected would be walk-ons.
05-03-2019 06:05 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Tribe basketball rumors
Fake news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
05-03-2019 06:23 AM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

(05-03-2019 06:05 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(05-03-2019 05:38 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I think it would be terrible to offer scholarships to folks at open try outs, but I also don't want to be giving out a lot of scholarships to players who aren't at the level that we need. We will have them for four years. That isn't good. You essentially create a class of players who shouldn't be on the team. I would much rather get some transfers who need to sit a year or grad transfers to fill in the gaps this year. Focus on 2020 recruiting and just hold your own this season with whatever you get.
I think it is a misworded. If they had open tryouts, the scholarship would go unfilled. Any players selected would be walk-ons.

I would hope so. I still don't want to fill the roster with a bunch of freshmen who may get over recruited the next year.
05-03-2019 06:39 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(05-02-2019 10:48 PM)TribeFam321 Wrote:  I would not post to spew 100% nonsense. Would be wasted time and energy for everyone.

And yet, here we are.
05-03-2019 07:00 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Could be worse ... OP could have posted that Trump / Trump campaign colluded with the Russians.

;-)
05-03-2019 07:23 AM
TribeGoldenAgeofBasketball Offline
Water Engineer

(05-02-2019 08:36 PM)TribeFam321 Wrote:  I am hearing from a source close to the team that the 2019-2020 Tribe Men's Basketball team will host open tryouts for the remaining scholarships due to the inability to fill the scholarships in the spring.

Also, it is believed that Owens, Audige, and at least one other member of the current roster are leaning towards not returning as well. Owens and Audige will be able to transfer up, and an announcement regarding their situations will be in the not so distant future.

As for this mysterious other member(s), we can only keep our fingers crossed that it isn't Knight or Van Vliet.

Is this rock bottom?

So you have a source that knows there are going to be open tryouts knows that lj and chase are likely gone, but doesnt know the name of a random 3rd person?

In the not so distant future literally means nothing.

Is the source close to the team a burntout lightpost? Because that's how much light you're shining on this situation.
05-03-2019 07:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.