Enquirer: The legendary work ethic of 'relentless' John Brannen

04-17-2019 09:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
RE: Enquirer: The legendary work ethic of 'relentless' John Brannen
I'm ready to run through a brick wall for this guy. It's still over 4 months until football season though, and another 3 months after that until basketball season... ugh. 03-banghead

04-17-2019 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Everyone that seems to know him well has a ton of respect for him it seems. Listening to him speak I have a feeling he is going to do good, but of course we have to see his teams on the court.

04-17-2019 09:58 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Brannen answered a call earlier this month.

It was from White, the coach turned friend and former UCLA assistant, and the Bruins coaching search came up. Brannen didn't want the UCLA job. He asked if Mick Cronin was in the running because Brannen wanted to fill Cronin's position at UC.

"That played out for Mick, and then it played out for John," White said. "So I would say this is really a dream come true kind of a job for him, right in his own backyard."

04-17-2019 10:28 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(04-17-2019 09:49 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  I'm ready to run through a brick wall for this guy. It's still over 4 months until football season though, and another 3 months after that until basketball season... ugh. 03-banghead
Yeah, I'm excited as well. I was all in on the previous staff but there's something to be said about a new different kind of energy to refresh things. I think if we can add an impact grad transfer and the players take to a little bit of a new system (Brannen will also adapt to personnel as all good coaches do) I think our pre season prognostications of 10-20 are very attainable and we got a chance to earn a protected seed next year.

04-18-2019 06:52 AM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Quote:Chalk washes away, but markers of Brannen's work ethic remain in the conviction of those who Brannen played for and coached with.

Dawn said he wouldn't be surprised if UC is in the Final Four soon. In fact, the Newport Central Catholic High School principal said he expects deep runs for UC in March. Grant said success for Brannen and the Bearcats is an easy call. White was emphatic about that, too.

"Failure is not an option for John Brannen," he said. "He will not fail. He’s never failed and he won’t fail at Cincinnati."

Love it! Obviously, ultimate results happen on the court so this has to play out but I see many similarities in CJB as I do CLF. Credit goes to Mike Bohn for looking for particular qualities in his coaches. There can only be one Big D_ick around these parts but we'll need to develop a nickname for Coach Brannen and AD Bohn. Mike looks like a former professional wrestler so maybe there's an angle there.

04-18-2019 07:30 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(04-18-2019 07:30 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
Quote:Chalk washes away, but markers of Brannen's work ethic remain in the conviction of those who Brannen played for and coached with.

Dawn said he wouldn't be surprised if UC is in the Final Four soon. In fact, the Newport Central Catholic High School principal said he expects deep runs for UC in March. Grant said success for Brannen and the Bearcats is an easy call. White was emphatic about that, too.

"Failure is not an option for John Brannen," he said. "He will not fail. He’s never failed and he won’t fail at Cincinnati."

Love it! Obviously, ultimate results happen on the court so this has to play out but I see many similarities in CJB as I do CLF. Credit goes to Mike Bohn for looking for particular qualities in his coaches. There can only be one Big D_ick around these parts but we'll need to develop a nickname for Coach Brannen and AD Bohn. Mike looks like a former professional wrestler so maybe there's an angle there.

Big John(son) Brannen?

04-18-2019 07:50 AM
Advertisement

dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
For those who can't access the aritcle:

The legendary work ethic of 'relentless' John Brannen and his path to the Cincinnati Bearcats
Fletcher Page, Cincinnati Enquirer Published 9:01 p.m. ET April 17, 2019 | Updated 9:42 p.m. ET April 17, 2019

Growing up in Alexandria, Kentucky, John Brannen marked lines on Walnut Park Drive asphalt in chalk.

They represented distances for sprints, and the future college basketball player and recently named University of Cincinnati coach would run down and back, down and back further and further and down and back again and again.

It's not how the days of a basketball prodigy began. That's how they ended.

John Brannen is introduced as men's basketball head coach at the University of Cincinnati, Monday, April 15, 2019, at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati. Brannen formerly coached at Northern Kentucky University.
John Brannen is introduced as men's basketball head coach at the University of Cincinnati, Monday, April 15, 2019, at Fifth Third Arena in Cincinnati. Brannen formerly coached at Northern Kentucky University. (Photo: Kareem Elgazzar)

He shot baskets before school in the morning, worked out after classes in the afternoon and played pick-up in open gyms until it was just him and the chalk before calling it a day.

"John is the hardest working player I’ve ever had," said former Newport Central Catholic High School basketball coach Ron Dawn. "Not even close. He was relentless."

Greg White, Brannen's coach for one season at Marshall University, said the same thing. So, too, did Anthony Grant, who was an assistant at Marshall for a season when Brannen played and hired Brannen as an assistant coach at both VCU and Alabama.

Plenty of basketball players and coaches put in long hours. But Grant said what separated Brannen, what led to Brannen taking Northern Kentucky to the NCAA Tournament two of the past three seasons and eventually to the University of Cincinnati, is the ability to work hard and smart.

Working together nearly a dozen years, Grant said Brannen's actions were always intentional, purposeful and well-thought-out.

"He has a gaze about him that lets you know he’s really locked in, whether it’s a conversation or an idea that he thinks will be a good strategy," said Grant, now head coach at Dayton. "His ability to lock in and kind of get lost in the moment is something that helped him as a player and helped him as a coach as well."

Those chalk lines make perfect sense to Grant. He tells his own story, from when Grant was on Billy Donovan's Marshall staff and Brannen transferred from Morehead State, about Brannen's tenacity.

"He was probably one of the most intense stretchers I’ve seen in my life," Grant said.

As a player, Grant said Brannen always showed up 30 minutes before players were required to begin stretching. And his routine is something Grant still jokes with Brannen about to this day.

"It looked like he was trying to pull his legs off, like he was trying to separate his ankle with how hard he worked to get his ankles loose," Grant said. "His warm-up was harder than some of our workouts. He was just that intense with what he would do. He would get so worked up you could see the saliva coming out of his mouth because he was trying to go so hard."

After a playing career that included leading the Southern Conference in scoring and two seasons professionally in Belgium's First Division, Brannen frequently talked to Dawn as his coaching career took off

Dawn called Travis Ford at Eastern Kentucky in 2000 and said Brannen would be the hardest-working assistant he'd ever have. Ford made the hire.

"Travis called me back a month later and said, 'you were right,' " Dawn said. After three seasons with Ford and three seasons at St. Bonaventure, Brannen himself made the phone call to ask about a position when Grant got the head job at VCU.

"He was one of the first guys I hired," Grant said. "His work ethic, his tenacity from a recruiting standpoint, his ability to teach and motivate on the floor, I felt like he had the intangible that you needed to be successful."

Brannen answered a call earlier this month.

It was from White, the coach turned friend and former UCLA assistant, and the Bruins coaching search came up. Brannen didn't want the UCLA job. He asked if Mick Cronin was in the running because Brannen wanted to fill Cronin's position at UC.

"That played out for Mick, and then it played out for John," White said. "So I would say this is really a dream come true kind of a job for him, right in his own backyard."

For the second time in his life, a coaching change involving UCLA affected Brannen. In 1997, after Donovan left for Florida, White came from Westwood to Marshall and encountered in Brannen a senior who had already played for two programs and two coaches.

Brannen's buy in, White said, was instant. The impression of success in the making was immediate.

"You knew when you walked into practice what you were going to get every single day," White said. "You knew when you got in a game, he was going to compete. He was going to fight every step of the way."

Chalk washes away, but markers of Brannen's work ethic remain in the conviction of those who Brannen played for and coached with.

04-18-2019 08:22 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-18-2019 07:30 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Rock Hard Bohner?

04-18-2019 08:38 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Those who can access the article, will notice that it's 90% pictures :)

Kidding aside, Levy, thanks for posting. Great article.

04-18-2019 10:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.