Column: Whyle In Position To Play Increased Role

04-12-2019 07:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
RE: Column: Whyle In Position To Play Increased Role
(04-12-2019 07:21 AM)Dan Hoard Wrote:  https://mlblogsdanhoard.wordpress.com/20...ased-role/

Great article Dan. Thanks for posting. As I've said in other threads, this team has to play to its strengths on offense. Running Backs and Tight Ends give us tremendous depth and an array of weapons to attack opposing defenses. Football season can't get her fast enough! Go CATS!!!

04-12-2019 07:26 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
So, double TE and split back sets? That would get the best play makers on the field, right?

04-12-2019 09:09 AM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(04-12-2019 09:09 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  So, double TE and split back sets? That would get the best play makers on the field, right?

I'd say it would be more situational IMO. Truck Warren will be the base set with two TE most likely. Depending on the down, distance, defense alignment, etc., you can create matchup advantages with Whyle, McClelland, et al. Of course, our wideouts will need to do enough to keep 8 dudes consistently out of the box but that's where I see the "K" position helping in that regard.

04-12-2019 09:25 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(04-12-2019 09:25 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 09:09 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  So, double TE and split back sets? That would get the best play makers on the field, right?

I'd say it would be more situational IMO. Truck Warren will be the base set with two TE most likely. Depending on the down, distance, defense alignment, etc., you can create matchup advantages with Whyle, McClelland, et al. Of course, our wideouts will need to do enough to keep 8 dudes consistently out of the box but that's where I see the "K" position helping in that regard.

i was actually thinking a "full house" backfield (Thomas, Warren and McCelland) with 2 TEs in goal line situations. Use movement to create mismatches and Ridder can also use his legs to get into the endzone.

04-12-2019 09:39 AM
Advertisement

C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Definitely like that they are making adjustments to get our most talented players on the field. Taylor, Whyle, and Deguara all look like starting caliber TE’s. This should also help mask any deficiencies we may have at the WR position, though I tend to believe we will be fine at WR with some young players stepping up.

04-12-2019 10:36 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I can see starting in a base set with two TE and Truck as the single back, the safety starts to creep up toward the box, and then one of the TE motions out/resets to create a mismatch in coverage. You can do all kinds of tweaks with that base set to include some two back looks. Add Ridder's ability to take off and run and you've really got something to work with. If a few of our wideouts can step up then this could be a very special offense that will keep DEE Coordinators up at night. What has me most excited is we KNOW we can run the ball and get the 1 yard when needed. This other stuff is icing on the cake. Remember when we had Tion, Hosey, and RD4 sharing the rock? My, my how far we've come since then.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2019 11:06 AM by UCGrad1992.)
04-12-2019 11:06 AM
Advertisement

Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
Whyle lined up as a TE/H Back a lot in the first half of the spring game and as a slot receiver in the second half. He missed a couple of blocks in the first half. Still a lot of work to be done there. As a wide out he looked comfortable and ran good routes. He could be hard to handle going over the middle.

04-14-2019 11:44 AM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(04-14-2019 11:44 AM)Dannyboy Wrote:  Whyle lined up as a TE/H Back a lot in the first half of the spring game and as a slot receiver in the second half. He missed a couple of blocks in the first half. Still a lot of work to be done there. As a wide out he looked comfortable and ran good routes. He could be hard to handle going over the middle.

I think this is how he was used mostly in High School wasn’t it? As more of a receiving threat? He definitely seems like he can be a matchup nightmare. If they put a LBer on him he will be able to beat them with his speed and route running and if they go smaller with a CB he can just box them out and out jump/Physical them.

Just has to show it on the field and continue to improve.

04-14-2019 11:49 AM
Advertisement

digibrink Offline
2nd String

I hope they run the inside pitch to the TE like Kansas City does with Kelce. Unstoppable on the goaline

04-14-2019 12:55 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
Whyle might want to get used to the college game in practice before CLF let's him see the field. Injured for most of last season, he needs to build up, as BK would say, his coat of armor. A friendly pop from one of his teammates during the Spring Game and there goes the ball, and Josh, to the ground.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2019 05:02 PM by Ragpicker.)
04-14-2019 04:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.