Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bellarmine U. to Div I?
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Bellarmine U. to Div I?
Over at D2 Message Board, there's some rumors swirling about Bellarmine:

Quote:
“C D Kaplan posted today that the Knights to D1, Atlantic Sun is "almost a done deal". Task force appointed to raise $10M.”

Quote:
“The D1 study was presented to admin officials in early March. The recommendation was to go D1.”

This was most likely an April fools hoax.
Supposedly a vote will be taken in May.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019 03:17 PM by JRsec.)
04-08-2019 07:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
RE: Bellarmine U. to Div I
I presume Atlantic Sun would be the best fit? Perhaps Horizon or something else?
04-08-2019 08:15 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
There was some obscure blog a few weeks ago where the author wrote sources told him Bellarmine would be announcing D1 in the coming months. Can't recall the link and google doesn't turn it up.
04-08-2019 09:04 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
They do already have D1 lacrosse
04-08-2019 09:19 AM
KingSean Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Illinois
It make sense to see them go D1. They would be the next Murray State in a few years
04-08-2019 12:37 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Bellarmine have mentioned a few years ago that they wanted to go to D1 at the same time they were looking into adding football. This is one of the schools that I have been saying they will go D1 a few years back on this forum.
04-08-2019 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(04-08-2019 12:43 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Bellarmine have mentioned a few years ago that they wanted to go to D1 at the same time they were looking into adding football. This is one of the schools that I have been saying they will go D1 a few years back on this forum.

When you list every college in America at one point or another, you don't get credit if one actually does.
04-08-2019 12:44 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2019 12:44 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(04-08-2019 12:43 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Bellarmine have mentioned a few years ago that they wanted to go to D1 at the same time they were looking into adding football. This is one of the schools that I have been saying they will go D1 a few years back on this forum.

When you list every college in America at one point or another, you don't get credit if one actually does.

Dixie State:check
North Alabama:check
Grand Canyon:check
California Baptist:check
Tarleton State:check, they just need to find a home which could be the WAC.
UC-San Diego:check
Bellarmine:If true, check
LIU-Post:half check. I did say they could merge a year or two before they announced it.
Merrimack:check
Goergia Southern to FBS:check
Appalachian State to FBS:check
South Alabama to FBS:check
ODU to FBS:check

Charlotte, Georgia State and Coastal Carolina were out from left field to me.

I have a much better track record than NoDak.
04-08-2019 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2019 12:51 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

LIU-Post:half check. I did say they could merge a year or two before they announced it.

So now post the list of the hundreds of schools you have touted as candidates that HAVEN'T moved
04-08-2019 12:56 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Bellarmine To ASUN

Is this what you are looking for I Woke?
04-08-2019 01:15 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Skeptical. Need more evidence than one paragraph from this small site.
04-08-2019 01:26 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(04-08-2019 12:51 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Charlotte, Georgia State and Coastal Carolina were out from left field to me.

Well, with Coastal, their fans were saying this stuff was ongoing with studies and closed-door conversations, but, who else was buying it? And not to discredit their fans...it was legitimately hard to buy into their candidacy when they had the football venue issue. And, clearly, that was a hurdle for them early on when working to transition to SBC. You had people within Coastal's fanbase even skeptical about the reality of such a jump.

It wasn't a lot unlike Rutgers and the Big Ten. Yeah, it was out there they wanted to move up. Out there more that they had applied, had been working with member schools, etc., but even some of the diehards felt like there was a considerable climb for readiness. Well, good enough, I guess.
04-08-2019 01:45 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(04-08-2019 12:51 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Charlotte, Georgia State and Coastal Carolina were out from left field to me.

Charlotte and Georgia State shouldn't have been out of left field to anyone paying attention. Two large schools in large Southeast cities aren't starting football with intentions to have a long stay in the CAA or whatever conference Charlotte would have landed in.

Quote:I have a much better track record than NoDak.

There are people in uncontacted tribes who've never heard of college football that have a better track record than NoDak.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019 01:53 PM by Cyniclone.)
04-08-2019 01:52 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Bellarmine to D-1 football would be a joke. Louisville is the giant in the area. Bellarmine would get minuscule crowds. They have 2700 undergrads. They could probably make it as D-1 Hoops program though.
04-08-2019 02:30 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Bellarmine U. to Div I?
(04-08-2019 02:30 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Bellarmine to D-1 football would be a joke. Louisville is the giant in the area. Bellarmine would get minuscule crowds. They have 2700 undergrads. They could probably make it as D-1 Hoops program though.

They already have men's LAX in Southern Conference. They want to add women's LAX, but they need to move the whole school to D1 first. I think that they need to move to D1 because nobody may not take the women's LAX. Once they go D1? They may land women's LAX in Southern Conference.
04-08-2019 03:59 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(04-08-2019 01:52 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Charlotte and Georgia State shouldn't have been out of left field to anyone paying attention. Two large schools in large Southeast cities aren't starting football with intentions to have a long stay in the CAA or whatever conference Charlotte would have landed in.

They were out of left field for Davey because he hated that they were all schools with recently established football programs.
04-08-2019 04:48 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
Is there a current link to an official release from the school on either their academic or athletic sites that can confirm this?

The campuses of U of Louisville and Bellarmine are 3.5 miles or 10 minutes apart.

A blind squirrel does a better job at finding nuts than the track record of your "predictions". Show that you were the first person ever to make a "prediction" and the evidence that is the basis for the "prediction".

Bellarmine has not mentioned adding football or women's lacrosse in nearly 4 years.

Tarleton State:UNcheck, they have not gone D1 and don't have a D1 conference invite.

South Alabama to FBS:UNcheck, everyone knew they would be in the SBC because they were already a SBC member and the SBC bylaws made the football team an automatic member same for Little Rock and UTA.
04-08-2019 04:52 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
At this point, it's speculation, but it points in that direction.

From the D2 basketball message board:

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread...65&page=95

One poster who seems to be in the know:

"Don’t know if this was an April fools joke or not. He used to write for the “Leo” paper, a local rag without much credibility.

My sources are both inside the University and a consultant working with the University. I’m not at liberty to name them.

They tell me that the Atlantic Sun is not on the table. The university did hire an athletic development person (fundraiser) 6 mos ago but no “$10 million campaign” is underway. The admin is still in process of evaluation and quantification of what the move will entail. This encompasses more than MBB but all sports. At this point the university has received a recommendation from a consultant to move to D1. The admin must now formulate a clear plan that the board can consider.

Assuming the plan is ready, the board will vote on the proposed move at the May board meeting. Until then, everything else is speculation."
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019 04:52 PM by johnintx.)
04-08-2019 04:52 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-08-2019 04:52 PM)AZcats Wrote:  Is there a current link to an official release from the school on either their academic or athletic sites that can confirm this?

The campuses of U of Louisville and Bellarmine are 3.5 miles or 10 minutes apart.

A blind squirrel does a better job at finding nuts than the track record of your "predictions". Show that you were the first person ever to make a "prediction" and the evidence that is the basis for the "prediction".

Bellarmine has not mentioned adding football or women's lacrosse in nearly 4 years.

Tarleton State:UNcheck, they have not gone D1 and don't have a D1 conference invite.

South Alabama to FBS:UNcheck, everyone knew they would be in the SBC because they were already a SBC member and the SBC bylaws made the football team an automatic member same for Little Rock and UTA.

App State and Ga Southern have been talking about going FBS for 15+ years - just needed the right offer.
North Alabama has been discussing DI since Jax State went DI
Grand Canyon has been discussing it for 25+ years

None of these are "scoops"
04-08-2019 04:55 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(04-08-2019 04:55 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(04-08-2019 04:52 PM)AZcats Wrote:  Is there a current link to an official release from the school on either their academic or athletic sites that can confirm this?

App State and Ga Southern have been talking about going FBS for 15+ years - just needed the right offer.
North Alabama has been discussing DI since Jax State went DI
Grand Canyon has been discussing it for 25+ years

None of these are "scoops"
App and GaSo didn't need "the right offer". They need "An offer". Both were trying hard to go CUSA and both got the cold shoulder. So here we are in the Sun Belt really enjoying our time watching the CUSA boards melt down like clockwork at the end of each revenue sports season.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019 05:12 PM by Yosef Himself.)
04-08-2019 05:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.