Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DAVE JOHNSON DAILY PRESS ARTICLE
Bookmark and Share
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
Dave Johnson had a good article in this morning's Daily Press about yesterday's press conference. I am going to allow myself to draw a tiny bit of optimism from Paul Rowley's comments as it pertains to the players. I will take any small beam of light that I can find at this point.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/william...ft01a-1la1
04-04-2019 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LeadBolt Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: DAVE JOHNSON DAILY PRESS ARTICLE
Good article. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully the flashlight of optimism in the dark will develop into a bright sunshiny day.
04-04-2019 08:14 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

'
"That didn’t deter Huge, who said she “unequivocally” did not offer the job to anyone else."

Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
04-04-2019 08:18 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
Trying to figure out whether to go with the Princess Bride quote or the Bill Clinton quote...
04-04-2019 08:30 AM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(04-04-2019 08:30 AM)wml33t Wrote:  Trying to figure out whether to go with the Princess Bride quote or the Bill Clinton quote...

Why choose? Go with both.
04-04-2019 08:34 AM
ColonelEbirt Online
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(04-04-2019 08:30 AM)wml33t Wrote:  Trying to figure out whether to go with the Princess Bride quote or the Bill Clinton quote...

Haha yeah. Obviously we floated the idea of the job to some others. And also, obviously, Huge isn’t gonna come out and say that Dane was her 3rd choice. So maybe here’s what happened ... Rowley called them up and said “so if Samantha called you after I hang up and offered you the job, what would you say?”

Jokes aside, I think we’ve got the right guy. Full support behind him. And I’m more confident now that we’ll be fielding at least a semi-competitive team next year. Hopefully something much more special than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-04-2019 08:35 AM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I think that there was a reality check along the way in terms of who we were realistically going to get with what ever money we do or don't have to spend. For all I know Huge is paying this guy much less than Shaver in attempt to recoup some of the buyout money.
04-04-2019 08:41 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Alternate Facts
04-04-2019 08:41 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(04-04-2019 08:18 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  '
"That didn’t deter Huge, who said she “unequivocally” did not OFFICIALLY offer the job to anyone else."

Lol

Here, I fixed here quote, so she won't have to uncross her fingers...

03-cool
04-04-2019 08:42 AM
Tribal Offline

"That didn’t deter Huge, who said she “unequivocally” did not offer the job to anyone else."

Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
I really hope that statement was steeped in semantics. By not offering the job, I hope she means after there was mutual agreement on terms, in writing, contract form, or something like that. I really do.

Edit: I like Billy's addition. That works.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019 08:47 AM by Tribal.)
04-04-2019 08:46 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(04-04-2019 08:42 AM)billymac Wrote:  
"That didn’t deter Huge, who said she “unequivocally” did not OFFICIALLY offer the job to anyone else."

Lol

03-cool

Yeah, in all seriousness I think this is the truth of it all. Samantha didn't call someone up/send an offer letter to officially get a response.
04-04-2019 08:55 AM
Advertisement

Biggjohn43 Online
Special Teams

(04-04-2019 08:55 AM)wml33t Wrote:  

Lol

03-cool
Yeah, in all seriousness I think this is the truth of it all. Samantha didn't call someone up/send an offer letter to officially get a response.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2019 09:22 AM by Biggjohn43.)
04-04-2019 09:19 AM
Biggjohn43 Online
Special Teams

(04-04-2019 09:19 AM)Biggjohn43 Wrote:  
(04-04-2019 08:55 AM)wml33t Wrote:  

Lol

03-cool

I suspect that anyone that was not interested in the position, stopped the process before an official offfer was extended.
04-04-2019 09:25 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

What's the difference to whom she did or did not offer the job? Rowley told us that the advisory board was in the process at all times, talked with several candidates and that Coach Fischer was the unanimous selection. Sure, other candidates were in there but perhaps never got to a vote, declining early. And Paul is clearly excited about Coach Fischer, as is Daniel Dixon who told us Fischer ran away with the job.

One other thing I heard at the media conference yesterday: one candidate refused to interview for any job, not just W&M, until his team completed their play in the NCAA Tourney. The athletic department person wouldn't name the coach, but we assume it was the guy at UVA. So he was never a factor or a considerationas W&M could not wait until the tourney was completed.

And who cares? I and others I was with yesterday, and apparently many on these boards, are of the opinion we got a top rank guy who will fit in like a glove in the William and Mary environment.
04-04-2019 01:04 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
The reason why it’s relevant is because the job is not as significant as some would believe, we were lucky to have Tony, and we may have gotten lucky again with Dane.

If one of those who believed that the job is more significant than it is was the AD, a lesson was learned.

After all, W&M is all about education, is it not?
04-04-2019 01:09 PM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

While I agree that Fischer is a great pick and fit, I think it is possibly naive to think he was the unanimous top choice.
04-04-2019 01:12 PM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

Who cares? I do. Huge has consistently avoided giving information, she has manipulated situations, and is pushing the limits on what is being said and what really happened. This is not new nor is it isolated to this situation. I find it offensive that she finds it convenient to have others give her messaging, claim that the advisors were the decision makers and so on. She is simply setting it up so that if it doesn’t work out she has others to blame. Same with the consultants. Total lack of personal accountability.

That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. Being a Pollyanna is just what she wants the fans to be. Trust me it will be okay.

04-04-2019 01:27 PM
ColonelEbirt Online
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(04-04-2019 01:27 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Who cares? I do. Huge has consistently avoided giving information, she has manipulated situations, and is pushing the limits on what is being said and what really happened. This is not new nor is it isolated to this situation. I find it offensive that she finds it convenient to have others give her messaging, claim that the advisors were the decision makers and so on. She is simply setting it up so that if it doesn’t work out she has others to blame. Same with the consultants. Total lack of personal accountability.

That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. Being a Pollyanna is just what she wants the fans to be. Trust me it will be okay.

Would someone please share just one example where an AD, upon announcing the hiring of a new coach, publicly proclaimed that the individual hired was NOT their first choice? It has never happened in the history of college sports. (I really hope someone can prove me wrong, bc that would actually be a really funny press release and/or media interview to read!). Her decision to fire Tony opened her up to plenty of very well-deserved criticism and judgment. But if you criticize her for saying that Dane was our top choice and we only offered one person, it makes you seem unreasonable. And your argument also doesn’t make sense bc if she was trying to pawn off accountability on others if Dane fails, she would definitely not be saying that Dane was the greatest thing since sliced bread. By saying that, and saying we didn’t even offer someone else, she’s hitching her wagon to his success (which she should, bc that’s the reality of the situation as soon as she fired Shaver).

I do think, however, she has shown an over-eagerness to publicly embrace opinions supporting her decision, which makes her seem self-conscious and uncertain about how she’s handled this situation. For example, I didn’t like that she retweeted Cox’s tweet saying that the hire was a great decision by her. Felt a bit desperate like “see, SOMEONE liked my decision”. I would have advised her not to do that. As they say, act like you’ve been here before.

04-04-2019 01:44 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

ColonelEbirt, you quoted my post that said absolutely nothing about Coach Fischer and him not being the top choice and then brought that into your conversation. I never said either of those things. I think Fischer will be fine and is qualified to coach at this level. My beef is that she takes praise for certain things and avoids talking about the messy things that she created. She has no personal accountability.
04-04-2019 02:19 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

(04-04-2019 01:44 PM)ColonelEbirt Wrote:  
(04-04-2019 01:27 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Who cares? I do. Huge has consistently avoided giving information, she has manipulated situations, and is pushing the limits on what is being said and what really happened. This is not new nor is it isolated to this situation. I find it offensive that she finds it convenient to have others give her messaging, claim that the advisors were the decision makers and so on. She is simply setting it up so that if it doesn’t work out she has others to blame. Same with the consultants. Total lack of personal accountability.

Would someone please share just one example where an AD, upon announcing the hiring of a new coach, publicly proclaimed that the individual hired was NOT their first choice? It has never happened in the history of college sports. (I really hope someone can prove me wrong, bc that would actually be a really funny press release and/or media interview to read!). Her decision to fire Tony opened her up to plenty of very well-deserved criticism and judgment. But if you criticize her for saying that Dane was our top choice and we only offered one person, it makes you seem unreasonable. And your argument also doesn’t make sense bc if she was trying to pawn off accountability on others if Dane fails, she would definitely not be saying that Dane was the greatest thing since sliced bread. By saying that, and saying we didn’t even offer someone else, she’s hitching her wagon to his success (which she should, bc that’s the reality of the situation as soon as she fired Shaver).

I do think, however, she has shown an over-eagerness to publicly embrace opinions supporting her decision, which makes her seem self-conscious and uncertain about how she’s handled this situation. For example, I didn’t like that she retweeted Cox’s tweet saying that the hire was a great decision by her. Felt a bit desperate like “see, SOMEONE liked my decision”. I would have advised her not to do that. As they say, act like you’ve been here before.

Agreed, she is coming off as evasive and defensive. She would do better to acknowledge her decision has been controversial, further explain her vision for the program and she plans to get there, and ask for some patience. Pretending everything has gone great and to plan is prolonging my anger and I suspect I'm not alone.
04-04-2019 02:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.