All American

I Root For: GSU
Georgia State Men's Basketball Coaching Search
Now the fun begins.

Candidate #1: Levelle Moton
Current Job: Head Coach at NCCU
Current Salary: $250k per year

Reasons why he would want the GSU job:
1) Moton went to the NCAA Tournament 4 times during last 6 years with much inferior players at NCCU. All 8 current scholarship player at Georgia State are showing no signs of transferring, so Moton would inherit pretty talented athletes to play around with.
2) Georgia State can double his current salary.
3) He can build connections in the metro Atlanta area to recruit.

Reasons why he wouldn't want the GSU job:
1) NCCU is Moton's alma mater. Deep ties to his current school and local community.
2) He has found consistent success in MEAC. Happiness and comfort in his current situation could be a factor.

[Image: 9151897.png]
04-01-2019 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: Georgia State Men's Basketball Coaching Search
(04-01-2019 04:41 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Now the fun begins.

Candidate #1: Levelle Moton
Current Job: Head Coach at NCCU
Current Salary: $250k per year

Reasons why he would want the GSU job:
1) Moton went to the NCAA Tournament 4 times during last 6 years with much inferior players at NCCU. All 8 current scholarship player at Georgia State are showing no signs of transferring, so Moton would inherit pretty talented athletes to play around with.
2) Georgia State can double his current salary.
3) He can build connections in the metro Atlanta area to recruit.

Reasons why he wouldn't want the GSU job:
1) NCCU is Moton's alma mater. Deep ties to his current school and local community.
2) He has found consistent success in MEAC. Happiness and comfort in his current situation could be a factor.

[Image: 9151897.png]

I don't know about GA State's entrance standards, but if you meet minimum NCAA standards at NCCU, you're in. There's a reason he is winning there. App looked at him and passed. Word up this way is Cobb has already been in touch with Bobby Lutz.
04-01-2019 06:42 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

Candidate #2: Linc Darner
Current Job: Head Coach at Green Bay (Horizon League)
Current Salary: $230k/year

*His name keeps coming up in twitter and messaging boards. Green Bay fans believe that Georgia State is a lateral move for him and Linc Darner's agent may be leveraging for pay increase/contract extension at Green Bay.

[Image: 9152782.png]
04-02-2019 12:23 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

Candidate #3: Sam Mitchell
Current Job: Assistant Coach at Memphis (former NBA head coach)
Current Salary: ?? (he was a player/coach in the NBA for 30yrs, money is probably not a priority)

*respectable lifelong career as a player/assistant coach/head coach in the NBA. He joined Memphis' staff in 2018, and it was the only time he ever coached at the collegiate level.

[Image: 9152788.png]
04-02-2019 12:49 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

(04-01-2019 06:42 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  I don't know about GA State's entrance standards, but if you meet minimum NCAA standards at NCCU, you're in. There's a reason he is winning there. App looked at him and passed. Word up this way is Cobb has already been in touch with Bobby Lutz.

In 2018, applicants with ~3.5 GPA had 50/50 chance of being accepted at Georgia State. However, I don't believe that the athletes are held to the same admission standards as regular applicants. All signs indicate that the scholarship athletes at Georgia State are expected to maintain around 2.5 GPA...which is pretty close to minimum NCAA standards to be honest.

If LeVelle Moton is indeed our top choice, I wouldn't mind it. I like his genuine love for his players.

Bobby Lutz would be an interesting choice. People in the industry seemed to have said in the past that Lutz is a brilliant Xs and Os coach.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 02:13 AM by GSUALUM17.)
04-02-2019 01:21 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

Candidate #4: Andy Kennedy (former Ole Miss Head Coach)

Candidate #5: Mike Anderson (former Arkansas Head Coach)

*I'm little surprised Georgia State is reaching for former SEC coaches, but these names (especially Mike Anderson) have been mentioned by "insiders" on several message boards and twitter. I'll add updates as I know more.
04-02-2019 01:50 AM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

It's pretty easy to root for this guy. Very humble and inspirational.

04-02-2019 10:45 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I think you should hire Anderson, then we might actually have a chance at beating you
04-02-2019 02:36 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Moton was one of the first names to pop up in App's search. I think he was making a little too much money there to relocate for a rebuilding job.
04-02-2019 02:51 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

Two new names surfacing: Kentucky assistant Tony Barbee & Boston Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry

04-02-2019 03:22 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

"Kentucky basketball assistant could be headed to the Sun Belt Conference"
https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/...27569.html

Tony Barbee, a long time assistant to UK's John Calipari, currently makes $440,000 per year.
04-02-2019 03:43 PM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(04-02-2019 01:21 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 06:42 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  I don't know about GA State's entrance standards, but if you meet minimum NCAA standards at NCCU, you're in. There's a reason he is winning there. App looked at him and passed. Word up this way is Cobb has already been in touch with Bobby Lutz.

In 2018, applicants with ~3.5 GPA had 50/50 chance of being accepted at Georgia State. However, I don't believe that the athletes are held to the same admission standards as regular applicants. All signs indicate that the scholarship athletes at Georgia State are expected to maintain around 2.5 GPA...which is pretty close to minimum NCAA standards to be honest.

If LeVelle Moton is indeed our top choice, I wouldn't mind it. I like his genuine love for his players.

Bobby Lutz would be an interesting choice. People in the industry seemed to have said in the past that Lutz is a brilliant Xs and Os coach.

Which is a joke that the NCAA needs to address. There should not be a double standard for athletes and regular applicants. The fact that school would likely be less expensive if only club sports existed only exacerbates that fact. It is either an institution of higher learning or it isn't. If accepting students with lower GPA's because of the athletic ability is occurring at any Public University, that should be addressed.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 03:45 PM by ericsaid.)
04-02-2019 03:44 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

"a current head coach in the Horizon League has interviewed for the Georgia State job late last week"

cough....Linc Darner....cough
04-02-2019 04:18 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/arti...31979.html

"there appears to be mutual interest on both sides [GSU & LeVelle Moton], according to a source close to the negotiations"

"Georgia State athletic director Charlie Cobb is familiar with Moton, having worked at N.C. State — his alma mater, where he played football — for seven years before becoming the athletic director at Appalachian State in 2005. He became AD at Georgia State in 2014."
04-02-2019 04:21 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(04-02-2019 03:44 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  Which is a joke that the NCAA needs to address. There should not be a double standard for athletes and regular applicants. The fact that school would likely be less expensive if only club sports existed only exacerbates that fact. It is either an institution of higher learning or it isn't. If accepting students with lower GPA's because of the athletic ability is occurring at any Public University, that should be addressed.

It happens everywhere.

Athletic success would be reserved for only the worst academic universities in America if it didn't....
04-03-2019 10:25 AM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
I would guess that the list of public institutions who DON'T have a lower standard for recruited athletes is MUCH shorter than the list that do. I really don't have a problem with allowances being made to the admissions standards as long as the student athlete is actually capable of performing academically once he/she is there.
04-03-2019 11:03 AM
Advertisement

GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(04-02-2019 03:44 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(04-02-2019 01:21 AM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  

Which is a joke that the NCAA needs to address. There should not be a double standard for athletes and regular applicants. The fact that school would likely be less expensive if only club sports existed only exacerbates that fact. It is either an institution of higher learning or it isn't. If accepting students with lower GPA's because of the athletic ability is occurring at any Public University, that should be addressed.

Moton has a pretty impressive personal website. The design and layout kicks the crap out of coachk.com and coachcal.com. He's even got his own personal logo.
04-03-2019 11:29 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

Rob Lanier- Associate Head Coach at Tennessee

https://utsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1892
"In addition to boasting four years of Division I head coaching experience at Siena, the 50-year-old Lanier also has coached in the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East, Atlantic 10 and MAAC. He has worked on the bench for 10 teams that advanced to NCAA Tournament play."
04-04-2019 07:34 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

A Cobb search where everyone knows whose interviewing or is interested. You don't say...
04-04-2019 08:01 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

04-04-2019 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.