Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

G4 Super Conference
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
G4 Super Conference
You can file this under fantasy.

With the new CCG rules, there is less room for schools to move up to a better conference. A few AAC teams may go to the Big 12 if there is expansion, but the AAC then has no reason to go back up to 12.

What can the "G4" do? Craft a super-conference of their own. Each conference keeps their CFP and BBall Tourney money separate, but together they craft a 12-team football conference to compete against the AAC for the NY6 bid and TV money.

Each year the 4 G4 champions and the 2 winners of bowls staged between the best 4 remaining teams are "promoted" to the Super Conference. The 3 worst teams in each Super Division are "relegated".

Teams play 6 games if in the Super Conference (5 division, 1 cross-division), 7 games if they are in a lower conference (either in a conference of 8 or of 2 divisions of 5), and the rest of a 9 game commitment is filled first by teams from the Super Conference playing their home conference and then by out of conference games.

The lower conferences are fixed at sizes of 8 or 10, meaning teams like UTEP or Marshall, who are in between the hearts of 2 conferences, may be shuffled to a neighboring conference to even things out. Home conferences designate which of their members will play in a neighboring conference.

Football-only independents may be added to the alliance to boost TV exposure or add flexibility when shuffling teams. This would also be a means by which the Sun Belt and Conference USA could do that whole reorganization thing people are talking about on other threads; Conference USA could lend its name to the Super Conference and the "Southwest Conference" name could be reused.

Using SRS from the last 5 years, I simmed who would be promoted and relegated each year. This is what 2019 would look like:

2019 Lineup
Super East (Ohio, Buffalo, Army, App St, Ga So, MTSU)
Super West (UAB, Troy, Ark St, Utah St, Boise St, Fresno St)
03-31-2019 01:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
G4 Super Conference
The AAC is one of the G5, lower Massey rating than MWC, lousy bowl record by AAC exemplified by Army 70-UH 14, and fewer NFL players from AAC than MWC. But don’t let facts get in the way of your fiction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-31-2019 10:33 AM
zoocrew Offline
Banned

I Root For: PITT, NAVY, MBB
RE: G4 Super Conference
(03-31-2019 10:33 AM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  The AAC is one of the G5, lower Massey rating than MWC, lousy bowl record by AAC exemplified by Army 70-UH 14, and fewer NFL players from AAC than MWC. But don’t let facts get in the way of your fiction.

Don’t consider the Big 12 P5 tbh...more like a P4 and G6 in my book, which is just as real as any other made up marketing grouping slogans...
03-31-2019 11:32 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(03-31-2019 10:33 AM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  The AAC is one of the G5, lower Massey rating than MWC, lousy bowl record by AAC exemplified by Army 70-UH 14, and fewer NFL players from AAC than MWC. But don’t let facts get in the way of your fiction.

NFL 2018 draft:
AAC: 18
MW: 9

NFL 2017 draft:
AAC: 15
MW: 8

NFL 2016 draft:
AAC: 10
Mw: 9

NFL 2015 draft:
AAC: 11
MW: 10

NFL 2014 draft:
AAC: 12
MW: 16

Draft total 14-18
AAC: 66 (more draft picks 4/5)
MW: 52

NY6:
AAC: 3
MW: 1

Top CFP pay out:
AAC: 4
MW: 1

So that fiction doesn't get in the way of facts.
03-31-2019 11:33 AM
Crayton Offline
All American

Your facts are unassailable. An additional fact is that the AAC has too much pride to be a part of this (hence the use of "G4" in scare quotes to mimic their "P6" use).

The AAC is also getting more TV income and 3x more NY6 bids than any other conference. These are the facts that may encourage an alliance of this sort.

No doubt the MW would gather concessions in order to participate in what is a more east-heavy allance. Perhaps they'd secure a better chance of promoting 2+ each year, or making Boise un-relegate-able. BYU may even buy into an un-relegate-able position in the Super Conference.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2019 11:39 AM by Crayton.)
03-31-2019 11:34 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
While it likely will never happen. If I could create a new conference. Good football and maybe 1-3 NCAA Tourney bids.

East
App State
Marshall
Troy
South Miss
Ark St
La Tech
F_U

West
UTEP
UNT
Boise
Utah St
Fresno
NMSU
SDSU
03-31-2019 11:50 AM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(03-31-2019 11:50 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  While it likely will never happen. If I could create a new conference. Good football and maybe 1-3 NCAA Tourney bids.

East
App State
Marshall
Troy
South Miss
Ark St
La Tech
F_U

West
UTEP
UNT
Boise
Utah St
Fresno
NMSU
SDSU

Replace LaTech and FAU with Ohio and Georgia Southern
03-31-2019 01:00 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
G4 Super Conference
(03-31-2019 01:00 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(03-31-2019 11:50 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  While it likely will never happen. If I could create a new conference. Good football and maybe 1-3 NCAA Tourney bids.

East
App State
Marshall
Troy
South Miss
Ark St
La Tech
F_U

West
UTEP
UNT
Boise
Utah St
Fresno
NMSU
SDSU

Replace LaTech and FAU with Ohio and Georgia Southern

Also replace NMSU and UTEP with Nevada and one of Wyoming CSU, AFA, or UNLV

03-31-2019 02:54 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
What I think would be smarter is to combine TV rights.

CUSA is on CBSSN. MWC is CBSSN/ESPN. MAC is ESPN/CBSSN. Combine all 3 on a master CBSSN deal with first tier selection rights of up to 10 games on ESPN.

30 linear FB exposures for each conference 20 CBSSN/10 ESPN. Good cash per school by CBSSN (1 million+). Trade cash for exposure on ESPN (1 million+).

30 linear BB exposure for each conference 20 CBSSN/10 ESPN with CBSSN broadcasting the full conference tournament.

07-coffee3
04-01-2019 06:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
If I understand this correctly, the OP wants to randomly pull 12 teams from the Mountain West, Sun Belt, CUSA, and MAC to form a temporary, football only conference to compete against the AAC. At the end of the year half of the teams are relegated back to their old conferences in favor of 6 randomly selected new teams.

I don't see how you could schedule this. From a Boise State perspective, you won't know if you are in the MW or the super conference from year to year. From a MW perspective, you won't know how many teams are in the conference from year to year.
04-01-2019 08:36 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

[Image: 743pv7l.jpg]
04-01-2019 08:57 AM
Advertisement

gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

While those are certainly points against the AAC, they have zero to do with the premise in the OP....which admittedly is fantasy anyway. The CFP committee ranks teams as the season progresses. Post season plays no part which is good for the AAC as coaches are still on staff and star players aren't voluntarily opting out of games. As tv bowl contracts are negotiated independently, they also have no bearing on the value of conference contracts...though media companies can influence bowl tie ins.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019 09:10 AM by gulfcoastgal.)
04-01-2019 09:10 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(03-31-2019 11:32 AM)zoocrew Wrote:  

Don’t consider the Big 12 P5 tbh...more like a P4 and G6 in my book, which is just as real as any other made up marketing grouping slogans...

If the Big XII is not P5 then the ACC shouldn’t be counted as one either.

Only two conferences matter, the B1G and SEC. The Pac-12 could be in that group but they have management issues that hopefully will be solved soon.
04-01-2019 02:23 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

(04-01-2019 08:36 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  If I understand this correctly, the OP wants to randomly pull 12 teams from the Mountain West, Sun Belt, CUSA, and MAC to form a temporary, football only conference to compete against the AAC. At the end of the year half of the teams are relegated back to their old conferences in favor of 6 randomly selected new teams.

I don't see how you could schedule this. From a Boise State perspective, you won't know if you are in the MW or the super conference from year to year. From a MW perspective, you won't know how many teams are in the conference from year to year.
"Random" is not the correct word. The 4 conference champions and a further 2 bowl champions are promoted each year.

You are correct, though. Scheduling is the primary concern of such a proposal.

From Boise State's perspective, you WILL know which conference you are in next year by the end of the season. In the Super Conference you will play 5 West Division games (3 of which are likely against other MW teams), + 4 games against the remainder of the MW. If the next year they are relegated to the 8-team MW, they will play 7 MW games + 2 other games, likely against 2 MW teams in the Super Conference.

So, in bad year teams are still playing 7-9 games against the conference and when in the Super Conference, 2-4 of those games against the lower portion of your conference are replaced by games against the best of the G4 nationwide.

Picking which games are played between conferences may be more prickly, because you cannot set a rotation. The best way I can think of is to give teams their pick of filling home dates in the following order:

1. Super Conference teams' home slates are filled by their ADs selecting any available teams from the nation to visit
2. Super Conference teams' away slates are filled by the teams from their home conference selecting their away spots.
3. Lower Conference teams then fill in any remaining home dates with any team still needing to fill an away-game spot.

Where applicable, selection order will depend upon previous year's finish. As long as an even number of teams exist in the alliance, there will never be a team left out. Teams can also schedule outside of the 9-game commitment and may be allowed to schedule 1 game within the alliance which takes precedence over the 3 above steps.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019 03:19 PM by Crayton.)
04-08-2019 03:00 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
You need a school in the mix that have beaten P5 schools a lot.

West:
Boise State
BYU
Fresno State
San Diego State
UNR
Colorado State

Central:
North Dakota State
Northern Illinois
Memphis
Houston
Arkansas State
Ohio U.

East:
Cincinnati
UCF
USF
Marshall
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern

That would even out to 3 pods. That is the best of the G5 schools +1 FCS. This would be a big threat against the P5. But, if Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State gets left behind with West Virginia? You could pick any of the schools I listed to keep the Big 12 as strong.
04-08-2019 04:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crayton Offline
All American

(03-31-2019 01:35 AM)Crayton Wrote:  2019 Lineup
Super East (Ohio, Buffalo, Army, App St, Ga So, MTSU)
Super West (UAB, Troy, Ark St, Utah St, Boise St, Fresno St)
Boise and App State play for the 2019 Super Conference Title.

Ohio, Army, MTSU, Fresno, UAB, and Troy are relegated.

Air Force (MW), Western Michigan (MAC), FAU (CUSA), and Louisiana (SB) are promoted after winning their conferences. SDSU and Western Kentucky are promoted next after winning bowls, setting up the following Super Conference Divisions:

2020 Lineup
WEST: Boise St, Utah St, Air Force, San Diego St, Ark St, Louisiana
EAST: Buffalo, Western Michigan, Western Kentucky, App St, Ga So, FAU
06-06-2020 11:49 AM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I will say this for forever and a fortnight: Pro/rel cannot work in American college athletics.

Unlike European clubs, programs that move up don't get money to upgrade their rosters, and on top of that, usually G5-level teams succeed when they have senior-heavy lineups. So the moveups will play stiffer competition in a rebuilding year. Meanwhile, programs that fall a level will lose players that don't want to slum it against weaker competition. Recruiting, already tilted toward the top programs, will be even more unbalanced since they'll be able to play the stability card: Oh, we're not going anywhere, but Ohio? Who's to say they won't drop down next year? You don't know what conference you'll be in next year until the current season is over, which not only screws with recruiting but scheduling.

It's great that pro/rel works in the rest of the world. For a variety of reasons, it'll never happen in the U.S., and certainly not in college sports.
06-06-2020 12:18 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(03-31-2019 11:34 AM)Crayton Wrote:  

Your facts are unassailable. An additional fact is that the AAC has too much pride to be a part of this (hence the use of "G4" in scare quotes to mimic their "P6" use).

The AAC is also getting more TV income and 3x more NY6 bids than any other conference. These are the facts that may encourage an alliance of this sort.

No doubt the MW would gather concessions in order to participate in what is a more east-heavy allance. Perhaps they'd secure a better chance of promoting 2+ each year, or making Boise un-relegate-able. BYU may even buy into an un-relegate-able position in the Super Conference.

Two members dropping sports + a flagship leaving does not look like power conference status. 07-coffee3
06-06-2020 01:09 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(04-08-2019 04:10 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  You need a school in the mix that have beaten P5 schools a lot.

West:
Boise State
BYU
Fresno State
San Diego State
UNR
Colorado State

Central:
North Dakota State
Northern Illinois
Memphis
Houston
Arkansas State
Ohio U.

East:
Cincinnati
UCF
USF
Marshall
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern

That would even out to 3 pods. That is the best of the G5 schools +1 FCS. This would be a big threat against the P5. But, if Iowa State, Kansas State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State gets left behind with West Virginia? You could pick any of the schools I listed to keep the Big 12 as strong.
You say you need a school that have beaten P5 schools a lot !!
Well I guess Toledo could be thrown in there... One of the winningest football programs in the last decade...
Oh, and we do have a few P5 scalps over the years...
- Michigan / Penn State / Arkansas / Iowa State / Minnesota / BYU / Colorado / Purdue-3 times/ Pitt ...
Also the Toledo Rockets have winning records against Cincy, Temple, Navy, Wyoming, Air Force, and Colorado State... Thirty five straight wins(1969-1971) AP top 20 rankings all three years... 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2020 02:13 PM by FMRocket.)
06-06-2020 01:55 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(04-08-2019 04:10 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  You need a school in the mix that have beaten P5 schools a lot.

West:
Boise State
BYU
Fresno State
San Diego State
UNR
Colorado State

Central:
North Dakota State
Northern Illinois
Memphis
Houston
Arkansas State
Ohio U.

East:
Cincinnati
UCF
USF
Marshall
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern

One school (Arkansas State) in your hypothetical super conf. Central division is 0-3 against Toledo, and Marshall in the east pretty much respects the Rockets a bit... 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2020 02:26 PM by FMRocket.)
06-06-2020 02:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.