Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Understanding the NCAA Transfer Portal
Bookmark and Share
wmmii Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Elon has 3 players who have posted to the transfer portal so the Elon News wrote the article below to provide a understanding of the transfer portal which is a new system that started 10/15/18. This is not intended to try to compare the Elon situation to W&M since the Elon players posted to the portal BEFORE their coach was fired but only EDUCATE on how the process works.

http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/2...fer-portal

The following quotes are helpful:

"The first thing to know is that a player entering their name into the Transfer Portal does not guarantee they will transfer. When the portal was launched on Oct. 15, 2018, it was designed to create more transparency between schools and players looking to leave their current institution. "

"Before it was put in place, players had to be the ones contacting schools to see what the market for their services was like. Now, once a player gets granted a release, other schools can contact them about their interest. This helps players get a better understanding of all the options they would have, not just dealing with whatever school they contact."

" that’s the beauty of the new process because the power has tipped in the direction of the players and given them the power to control where they spend their college career."

"But there are caveats. A school is under no obligation to hold a player at the institution. While this can be advantageous for situations where both a player and an institution are unhappy, it can also become a bargaining chip for schools. Institutions are not required to hold scholarship money for a player once they enter the transfer portal. An institution, should they want to, can take away a scholarship from a player the semester after they enter the transfer portal."
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 09:13 AM by wmmii.)
03-27-2019 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zablenoise Online
Heisman

This is very interesting. I hope that W&M honors those scholarships if the players don't end up transferring (I am confident we will).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
03-27-2019 09:56 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
As I read this and realize the date of the portal starting, I have to wonder how much of this is a combination of events. For instance - if the portal existed last year, would guys have been in it to see what happens? If it didn’t start until next year, would fewer guys be considering transferring?

This whole thing is new and I wonder how much the existence of the portal is impacting what we are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-27-2019 05:00 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
RE: Understanding the NCAA Transfer Portal
(03-27-2019 05:00 PM)wml33t Wrote:  As I read this and realize the date of the portal starting, I have to wonder how much of this is a combination of events. For instance - if the portal existed last year, would guys have been in it to see what happens? If it didn’t start until next year, would fewer guys be considering transferring?

This whole thing is new and I wonder how much the existence of the portal is impacting what we are seeing.

Bingo! I'm on the same page. There's shock on our board as well at how many transfers are looking at leaving the CAA, but when you look at the date of this system... it's a new avenue for the players. However, I firmly believe this new system only benefits one set of schools... the P5s. This new system nearly ensures a collective farm system of mid major talent who take a year or two to prove themselves as D1 players and then get scooped up by P5s. Mid Majors may get a player here and there or the occasional P5 player dropping down to a Mid, but are mostly stuck snagging JUCO players to stay competitive.
03-28-2019 11:50 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Yep! But they do have to sit out a year but players have no downside to test their talents if they qualify as a grad transfer. It may become the new norm and if so coaches will need to rethink strategy of the development plan of their recruits the same way the big time coaches had to adept to the one and done of freshmen who are NBA talent.

The Portal has over 400 players in it already and we have not played the Sweet 16 games!

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

or

https://watchstadium.com/news/comprehens...2-29-2018/
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2019 02:31 PM by wmmii.)
03-28-2019 12:00 PM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

Yes, guys have to sit out a year now. But, it wouldn't surprise me if the P5s remove that hurdle as well. We've already seen a ridiculous lowering of hardship standards in football to gain immediate eligibility (see Tate Martell to Miami). Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest of it became open free agency each off season. P5 money runs the NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2019 12:10 PM by mrjoolius.)
03-28-2019 12:08 PM
Advertisement

wmmii Offline
1st String

With the new rule change the coaches will need to revisit recruiting and player development.

Portal is up to 521 players in it. Teams beside the Tribe that have 5 or more players in it include:

Colorado State
East Carolina
Eastern Michigan (6)
Incarnate Word
Jacksonville
La Salle
Maine
Massachusetts (6)
Navy
Portland
TCU
Tennessee State (6)
UMKC (11)
UNCW
UNLV (8)
West Virginia
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2019 08:16 AM by wmmii.)
04-04-2019 05:10 PM
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WillaMary
NCAA mulling changes to grad transfer rule:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sport...sfers.html

If I’m reading this right this could potentially make Pierce and Milon less attractive to other teams since they would be “play one pay one.” If they stay, WM doesn’t have to pay that scholarship penalty.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2019 06:24 AM by WillaMary08.)
04-05-2019 06:08 AM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Ultimately it will impact how many players redshirt too.
04-05-2019 07:28 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

I don't see how this passes since it seems it would favor the mid major schools at the expense of the P5s and the grads who want their shot at the big time. Goes against the pro P5 trend on transfers currently happening everywhere else in college sports.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2019 07:39 AM by mrjoolius.)
04-05-2019 07:35 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(04-05-2019 06:08 AM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  NCAA mulling changes to grad transfer rule:

If I’m reading this right this could potentially make Pierce and Milon less attractive to other teams since they would be “play one pay one.” If they stay, WM doesn’t have to pay that scholarship penalty.

Great link!

If a grad transfers, then they must graduate in the summer of 2020 or the new school must forfeit a scholarship for the 2020-21 school year. If you can get a starter for one year not a bad trade versus bringing in a freshman who is unknown and mostly riding the bench for a year IMO.

The following quote from the article was an eye opener:

"Nearly 40 percent of Division I men’s basketball players who arrive from high school will transfer by the end of their sophomore year, according to N.C.A.A. data from 2011 to 2017."
04-05-2019 08:14 AM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
And of the 40%, most go down in level. Almost nobody moves up (the kid from Wilmington to NC State is a rare exception)
04-05-2019 08:27 AM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

(04-05-2019 06:08 AM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  NCAA mulling changes to grad transfer rule:

Wow. I can't believe that is a real possibility. I'm extremely weary any time the NCAA steps in but it would undoubtedly help us.
04-05-2019 11:15 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
04-05-2019 12:05 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(04-05-2019 12:05 PM)nj alum Wrote:  https://247sports.com/Article/College-ba...130900424/

You think Dane has worries?

:-)

Yeah, crazy. I wondered, the other day, when I read it, why the OTHER two players (13 schollies) didn't sign up. You have to figure they were Seniors. So, basically, the whole team says "come recruit us again".

College Coaching, what a great gig...
01-wingedeagle
04-05-2019 04:19 PM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(04-04-2019 05:10 PM)wmmii Wrote:  With the new rule change the coaches will need to revisit recruiting and player development.

Portal is up to 521 players in it. Teams beside the Tribe that have 5 or more players in it include:

Colorado State
East Carolina
Eastern Michigan (6)
Incarnate Word
Jacksonville
La Salle
Maine
Massachusetts (6)
Navy
Portland
TCU
Tennessee State (6)
UMKC (11)
UNCW
UNLV (8)
West Virginia

5 from Annapolis? That seems the strangest of all. You would think receiving an entry into the Academy would not be something you could float like that.
04-05-2019 05:31 PM
Advertisement

WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WillaMary
(04-05-2019 12:05 PM)nj alum Wrote:  https://247sports.com/Article/College-ba...130900424/

So some of the UMKC players in the portal have told the new head coach they’re returning but their names are still in the portal. I wonder if Coach Fischer has received any verbal assurances of sticking around from the players. It will be obvious if/when any of them transfers because Verbal Commits will announce it but how will we know if a player is returning versus just hanging out in the portal waiting for his market to develop? Will there be another pinned tweet announcing a decision to stay? What will VC say - that a player has “re-enrolled” or something? Will they say anything at all?
04-05-2019 05:31 PM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(04-05-2019 05:31 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  

So some of the UMKC players in the portal have told the new head coach they’re returning but their names are still in the portal. I wonder if Coach Fischer has received any verbal assurances of sticking around from the players. It will be obvious if/when any of them transfers because Verbal Commits will announce it but how will we know if a player is returning versus just hanging out in the portal waiting for his market to develop? Will there be another pinned tweet announcing a decision to stay? What will VC say - that a player has “re-enrolled” or something? Will they say anything at all?
I know in the case of Siena players put out "I'm coming back" tweets. Hopefully the guys would do something like that.
04-05-2019 05:38 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(04-05-2019 05:38 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(04-05-2019 05:31 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  

I know in the case of Siena players put out "I'm coming back" tweets. Hopefully the guys would do something like that.

I imagine they’ll officially announce when they decide to come back or when they sign somewhere else. We probably won’t know if there are some who have told Dane they’re leaving, until they sign somewhere.

04-05-2019 08:16 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Basketball dinner is next Friday evening. We'll probably know alot more about who is staying or departing there.
04-06-2019 05:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.