Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

App's basketball coaching search
Bookmark and Share
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Kinda felt bad about bringing up the Fox is Fired thread to talk about his replacement; unlike in football when the whole athletic department apparently had their lips super glued together there have actually been rumored coaches in the search so far.

HopeDirt reported:

Quote:Early names at Appalachian State include Gardner-Webb head coach Tim Craft, Presbyterian head coach Dustin Kerns, and Campbell head coach Kevin McGeehan.

Then this tweet by Jeff Goodman (https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/...7042078720)

Quote:Appalachian State targeting four guys, source told @Stadium: Radford’s Mike Jones, Gardner-Webb’s Tim Craft, Campbell’s Kevin McGeehan and former Charlotte head coach Bobby Lutz

Lutz and Mike Jones were added to the conversation.

Then today Lutz was giving an interview on Charlotte Radio and said he was very open to the job. Talked about App's passionate fans in Football and that they're craving a winning basketball team.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/bo...fcb77.html

Looks like Lutz might be the perceived front runner. He had a hellva run in CUSA before UNCC jumped to the A10 where he didn't do so well. Jones has done a great job at Radford though. So he is a, imo, very strong candidate too.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019 05:24 PM by Yosef Himself.)
03-25-2019 05:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

asucrutch23 Offline
Special Teams

RE: App's basketball coaching search
(03-25-2019 05:22 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Lutz and Mike Jones were added to the conversation.

Who?
03-25-2019 05:30 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-25-2019 05:30 PM)asucrutch23 Wrote:  
(03-25-2019 05:22 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Lutz and Mike Jones were added to the conversation.

Who?

Back then they didn't want him, now he's hot the Apps all up on him.
03-25-2019 06:18 PM
FidelCashflow18 Offline
Bench Warmer

I want Craft or Jones
03-25-2019 06:23 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2019 06:23 PM)FidelCashflow18 Wrote:  I want Craft or Jones

Lutz did take 8 teams to the post season (NCAA/NIT) in 11 years.

Jones has done it three time (NCAA/CBIx2)
03-25-2019 06:32 PM
ManOnABuffalo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
I wouldn't be against Lutz, if he turns the program around just one more thing to troll UNCC with.
03-25-2019 06:33 PM
Advertisement

AppManDG Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2019 06:23 PM)FidelCashflow18 Wrote:  I want Craft or Jones

Craft has a winning % of .550 and Jones .521. Lutz was .620 at UNCC facing far better competition. The 49'ers haven't been the same, 1 winning season, since Judy let him go after 5 trips to the NCAA and 2 to the NIT.

Craft is a quality person, but as a coach has never finished higher than tied for 3rd in the conference. Won the tournament to get in the dance this year. He didn't exactly inherit a wasteland. Took over from Chris Holtman who took HC at Butler and is now HC at Ohio State.

18-19: T 3rd
17-18: T 5th
16-17: 4th
15-16: T 5th
14-15: T 6th
13-14: T 4th

Jones' resume is more impressive, but will he leave Radford? He's 51, his wife is a professor at Radford, he just signed his son and his son's best friend to scholarships at Radford. He's got a good thing going up there and you have to wonder if he wants the grind of the Sun Belt travel.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019 06:56 PM by AppManDG.)
03-25-2019 06:54 PM
ImfromClayton Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
Lutz is one of the best people and coaches around. He wants to be at app, and is willing to take 250k to do the job.

I make fun of app fans that come to the CUSA board but I came here to back my guy. Lutz would immediately be the best coach in the belt. I can't believe this is even a question.

There's one hire y'all could make that would make me even the least bit nervous as a Charlotte fan, and his name is Bobby Lutz.
03-26-2019 11:12 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
sounds like Lutz would be great for App. Go for it!

I hope we also hire an experienced head coach similar to Lutz for $500k $-600k. Gambling on a young assistant is the last thing Georgia State needs right now.
03-26-2019 11:23 AM
moehler Offline
1st String

(03-26-2019 11:12 AM)ImfromClayton Wrote:  Lutz is one of the best people and coaches around. He wants to be at app, and is willing to take 250k to do the job.

I make fun of app fans that come to the CUSA board but I came here to back my guy. Lutz would immediately be the best coach in the belt. I can't believe this is even a question.

There's one hire y'all could make that would make me even the least bit nervous as a Charlotte fan, and his name is Bobby Lutz.

Educate me, why was Lutz let go from UNCC? Not trying to be a smartass, just curious what happen.
03-26-2019 12:40 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

UNCC expectations were too high. Hard to believe I know.
03-26-2019 01:27 PM
Advertisement

ImfromClayton Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
We didn’t make the NCAA tournament for 4 straight years. 09 was a monumental collapse at the end of the season.

Still didn’t agree with it, still don’t. Haven’t made the tourney since.
03-26-2019 01:43 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(03-25-2019 05:22 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Kinda felt bad about bringing up the Fox is Fired thread to talk about his replacement; unlike in football when the whole athletic department apparently had their lips super glued together there have actually been rumored coaches in the search so far.

HopeDirt reported:

Quote:Early names at Appalachian State include Gardner-Webb head coach Tim Craft, Presbyterian head coach Dustin Kerns, and Campbell head coach Kevin McGeehan.

Then this tweet by Jeff Goodman (https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/...7042078720)

Quote:Appalachian State targeting four guys, source told @Stadium: Radford’s Mike Jones, Gardner-Webb’s Tim Craft, Campbell’s Kevin McGeehan and former Charlotte head coach Bobby Lutz

Lutz and Mike Jones were added to the conversation.

Then today Lutz was giving an interview on Charlotte Radio and said he was very open to the job. Talked about App's passionate fans in Football and that they're craving a winning basketball team.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/bo...fcb77.html

Looks like Lutz might be the perceived front runner. He had a hellva run in CUSA before UNCC jumped to the A10 where he didn't do so well. Jones has done a great job at Radford though. So he is a, imo, very strong candidate too.

Avery Johnson is available. Plus his bank account is heavier and y'all could get him at a bargain. I seriously believe that he would succeed in the Belt.
03-26-2019 03:47 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

Johnson would be a homerun, it’s probably too late for us, but GSU should go after him, hiring Johnson would definitely take the heat off Cobb and the way he handled the Hunter debacle. Still don’t understand Bama letting him go, best coach they have had in many, many yrs.
03-26-2019 03:54 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-26-2019 03:54 PM)moehler Wrote:  Johnson would be a homerun, it’s probably too late for us, but GSU should go after him, hiring Johnson would definitely take the heat off Cobb and the way he handled the Hunter debacle. Still don’t understand Bama letting him go, best coach they have had in many, many yrs.

SEC Teams tend to have the ability to react a lot faster when coaches don't drag them to the promised land as fast as they'd like. Booster pressure is far heavier. Case in point, Arkansas fired Mike Anderson today, and he's practically a native son there. Why? Because Boosters there hold the program to 1990's level expectations, despite the fact they haven't hit that level, since well...the 1990's. And Boosters can get anything done with enough money.
03-26-2019 11:06 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(03-26-2019 11:12 AM)ImfromClayton Wrote:  Lutz is one of the best people and coaches around. He wants to be at app, and is willing to take 250k to do the job.

Just like Brad Lambert, had he been hired instead of Drinkwitz, would've been the best coach in the Belt had App hired him, right?
03-27-2019 10:35 AM
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(03-27-2019 10:35 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

Just like Brad Lambert, had he been hired instead of Drinkwitz, would've been the best coach in the Belt had App hired him, right?

No, as of right now Bobby would be the best current coach in SunBelt Men's Basketball simply based off his record alone. No one from Charlotte is trolling you on this one like we would with a Lambert suggestion. If he can recruit to App then he can win there. He's pretty good with game execution. His downfall at Charlotte was his inability to recruit in the A10. He didn't have that issue in CUSA 1.0.
03-27-2019 11:39 AM
stAte_3 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I see Jones signed an extension with Radford.
03-27-2019 12:42 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

According to Clemson Sports News, Brad Brownell not safe at Clemson...a full rebuild seems likely. He just received a 6 year extension 2 years ago and would be sitting on a major buyout if released. Also wouldn't be a hot candidate at any P5 job. And has NC ties having been at Wilmington. Ipso facto, he might be willing to accept a smaller salary to stay in the region.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
03-27-2019 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Quote:@DavidGlennShow

Lutz: The Appalachian State job is attractive to me, but I think they might be interested in a younger candidate.

https://twitter.com/DavidGlennShow/statu...7390866432
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 01:17 PM by Yosef Himself.)
03-27-2019 01:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.