Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The stats noted in the press release...anyone have a problem with this?
Bookmark and Share
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
In the press Release, it was stated:

“During Shaver's tenure, the Tribe made four appearances in the CAA Tournament final (most recently in 2015) as well as made two of the program's three trips to the National Invitation Tournament (2010, 2015). Over his 16 seasons, Shaver compiled an overall record of 226-268 (.457) and 124-162 (.434) in conference.”

In a post on the W&M Blog, the following was cited:

“Highest winning percentage in the CAA for the past six years, with five returning starters”.

In the pre-season preview put out by the William and Mary Athletics Department, right in the beginning:

“No team in the Colonial Athletic Association has won more or as consistently as William & Mary over the last five years. Under the watchful eye of 16-year head coach Tony Shaver, the Tribe owns a league-best 96 total wins over the last five years, including 54 CAA victories, again a conference high.”

Want more from the pre-season preview? There’s this:

“Few offenses, if any, provide excitement to both players and fans like the style that Shaver and his staff have cultivated over the last decade. The Tribe pushes the pace and lights up the scoreboard with an offense predicated on the fastbreak, 3-point shooting, spacing and sharing the basketball.
Last season, the Green and Gold became the first team in NCAA history to shoot 80 percent from the free throw line, 50 percent from the field and 40 percent from 3-point range. The Tribe won statistical national championships in both free throw (81.0) and 3-point percentage (43.4), while ranking among the national top 10 in six different categories.”

And this:

“W&M has scored at a better than an 80-point clip over the last two seasons, ranking among the national leaders and the elite in CAA history during both campaigns. In 2017-18, W&M scored a school-record 85 points per game, which ranked fourth nationally and third all-time in league annals.
Recently, the Tribe has shot the basketball at an extremely high clip that few in the country can match. Each of the last six seasons, W&M ranked among both the top 25 nationally in effective field goal percentage, according to KenPom.com, and overall field goal percentage, by the NCAA. W&M’s was second nationally in both categories last season. Over the last four seasons, the Green and Gold is shooting 48.8 percent from the field and 39.7 percent from 3-point range. The Tribe is connecting on an average of 287 3-pointers per season since 2013, including 337 last season which was third in CAA history. W&M shot 43.4 percent from long range last season, which was the highest percentage in NCAA history for a team that connected on 10.5 3-pointers or more per game (10.9).”

And this:

“The Tribe’s 2018-19 schedule should rank among the toughest in the country when considering that nine of the program's 11 Division I non-conference games are against programs that finished in the top five of their respective leagues in 2018. A total of six W&M foes in the non-conference competed in the 2018 post season, and the Tribe's opponents won 60.8 percent (226-146) of their games a season ago, including 62.8 percent (123-73) of their conference contests.”

Here’s the link:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/xKZC5T4FyBOue/

So, there you have it. Two releases from the Athletics Department. Two totally different “spins”. All of the incredible statistics from the pre-season Release ... whoosh ... vanished .... gone ... not mentioned... how is this possible?

Simply put. We have plenty of legal eagles on this Board. The Press Release has no credibility in view of the pre-season review, when they are laid side by side.

Just outrageous.
03-18-2019 06:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

RE: The stats noted in the press release...anyone have a problem with this?
How about this one.

Coming into 2018-2019, two starters lost, and six other players lost. Three returning starters, three returning players, and six newcomers.

Source?

The William and Mary Athletics Department:

https://static.tribeathletics.com/custom...kfacts.pdf

Again, what am I missing? Shaver was supposed to make the Dance this year?

Who’s smoking what?
03-18-2019 06:58 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

And since W&M is supposed to be in the business of academics, how about this:

The CAA men’s basketball team academic excellence award went to W&M last year. If there is an academic Dance, we qualified last year.

Source?

Athletics Department again:

https://tribeathletics.com/news/2018/7/1...th=general
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 07:04 PM by nj alum.)
03-18-2019 07:04 PM
ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(03-18-2019 07:04 PM)nj alum Wrote:  And since W&M is supposed to be in the business of academics, how about this:

The CAA men’s basketball team academic excellence award went to W&M last year. If there is an academic Dance, we qualified last year.

Source?

Athletics Department again:

https://tribeathletics.com/news/2018/7/1...th=general

My, my. You are extra-petulant today.

Keep'em coming!
03-18-2019 07:27 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I would love to, but the school has erased Tony’s bio.

Anybody have an old bio of Tony in which the school waxed poetic?
03-18-2019 07:48 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

Ha! You b###rds; can’t scrub everything. Found one:

https://digitalarchive.wm.edu/bitstream/...quence=103

2008 Coach of the Year. Must have forgotten stuff lately.

When they won 17 in 07-08, it had only been done six prior times in W&M history. Hahahaha.

Team participated in First national televised game. Gosh, we had been so pitiful until Tony showed up!

Gotta get rid of this guy .... not good enough!
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 08:02 PM by nj alum.)
03-18-2019 08:00 PM
Advertisement

Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
I think there are some media guides from past years on the website, unless those have been flushed down the memory hole as well.

And much of the info in Coach Holmes’ bio would apply to Tony.
03-18-2019 08:02 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 08:06 PM by nj alum.)
03-18-2019 08:04 PM
Tribester Offline
Banned

I Root For: W&M
Ever hear of something called marketing and/or spin? Preseason marketing has to get people excited to buy tickets and ignore the fact that our head coach was still employed by us even though he had only won one conference championship in 15 years with zero NCAA appearances. Marketing 101 would suggest emphasizing the negatives of that same coach that you just decided to dismiss.
03-18-2019 08:11 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

Should have started here first:

STAFF BIO

HEAD COACH
Tony Shaver
When Tony Shaver accepted the head coaching position at William & Mary in May of 2003, he set his sights on making the Tribe a championship-contending program. Fast-forward to the present, the two-time CAA Coach of the Year and National Mid-Major Coach of the Year finalist has led a revival of the Green and Gold program. The Tribe has posted four of its nine 20-win seasons under Shaver, including three of the last five seasons. In fact, half of the Tribe’s top 10 win totals have come during his 15 seasons on campus.

Over the last five years, W&M owns 96 overall victories, including 54 in CAA play. Both totals are tops in the CAA. The Tribe notched three-straight 20-win seasons in 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16, marking just the second streak of three years in program history. The Green and Gold captured the CAA regular season Championship in 2015. Twice, Shaver led the program to berths in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT), only the second and third post season bids in program history. Shaver, who is the dean of CAA head coach, is W&M’s all-time winningest head coach with 212 victories over his 15 seasons on the Green and Gold sidelines.

In his 32 years as a collegiate head coach, he ranks among the active leaders in victories in college basketball. Over his career, Shaver-coached teams have won 20 or more games during 16 seasons and advanced to the post season on 13 occasions. Shaver enters 2018-19 ranked 18th among active Division I head coaches with 570 career victories. He became the 86th Division I head coach to win 500 games in 2014. His career win total ranks 63rd all-time among head coach with at least 10 years of Division I experience.

Under Shaver, the Tribe has peaked at the right time of year during the conference tournament. Prior to his arrival in 2004, W&M had just two CAA Tournament wins in 18 years as a member of the league. During Shaver’s 15 seasons, the Tribe owns 14 CAA Tournament victories and the program’s first four championship game appearances. In fact, since 2008, W&M leads all CAA programs with 13 league tournament victories. The Tribe has earned a spot in the CAA Semifinals each of the last five years, a first in W&M history.

A total of 23 players have garnered All-CAA honors under Shaver, including five first team picks. By comparison, the Tribe had just two first team All-CAA selections prior to Shaver’s arrival. The Tribe has produced multiple All-CAA picks each of the last six seasons. Another nine players have been named to the CAA All-Rookie Team and his players have three CAA All-Defensive Team accolades. Shaver-coached players have taken home two CAA Rookies of the Year, two CAA Defensive Players of the Year and a CAA Player of the Year. He has coached 12 NABC All-District selections.

Sixteen of Shaver’s former Tribe athletes have gone on to professional careers overseas. A player from 11-straight graduating classes has gone on to sign a professional contract. Three W&M players have been selected in the NBA G-League (formally Development League) draft, and another, Marcus Thornton, was a second round NBA Draft selection. Five former Tribe standouts (Alex Smith, Danny Sumner, Quinn McDowell, Daniel Dixon and Thornton) have all played in the NBA Development League.

Along with its success on the court, Tribe players have done their work in the classroom as well under Shaver. Six times under Shaver a Tribe player has been named the CAA Scholar-Athlete of the Year. In five of the last 10 years, a W&M student-athlete received the CAA’s prestigious Dean Ehlers Leadership Award, which is given to the student-athlete who “embodies the highest standards of leadership, integrity and sportsmanship in conjunction with his academic athletic achievement.” Quinn McDowell became the first-ever two-time winner of the honor in 2011 and 2012. He was also the first CAA men’s basketball student-athlete to be named one of 10 finalists for the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award on his way to Lowe’s Senior CLASS Second-Team All-America honors in 2012.

The men’s basketball program earned five NCAA Public Recognition (2013-17) for its perfect four-year Academic Progress Rate of 1,000, ranking among the top 10 percent nationally. The Tribe produced six straight years of perfect 1,000 APR scores (2012-17).

Shaver is a member of three Halls of Fame, including each of his previous coaching stops. In October of 2016, he was inducted into the High Point Central Sports Hall of Fame. A standout in football, basketball, golf and baseball for the Bison, Shaver was a multi-time all-conference selection in both football and basketball and quarterbacked the football team to the state finals in 1971. He was inducted into the Episcopal High School Hall of Fame in 2005 and the Hampden-Sydney College Hall of Fame in 2004 as the winningest coach at each place. Shaver led Episcopal for 10 seasons from 1976-86.

http://www.totalcamps.com/WMBASKETBALLCAMPS/

Nuff said!
03-18-2019 08:15 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

(03-18-2019 08:11 PM)Tribester Wrote:  Ever hear of something called marketing and/or spin? Preseason marketing has to get people excited to buy tickets and ignore the fact that our head coach was still employed by us even though he had only won one conference championship in 15 years with zero NCAA appearances. Marketing 101 would suggest emphasizing the negatives of that same coach that you just decided to dismiss.

You keep spinning away, just like the AD’s Press Release.

You are going to get ripped for this. Not a smart post. I’ll leave it to others.

I’ll simply say this.

They’re both spin. The Press Release is spin.

The truth? The AD wanted her own guy. No problem with that, except she tossed aside the best coach W&M has ever had. Why do that? Ego? Lack of judgment? Why now? It will now call into question every decision she makes.

And you obviously didn’t read the excellent leadership points raised in post #5 of the thread re: the sports blog.

I am looking forward to the buyout spin.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 08:24 PM by nj alum.)
03-18-2019 08:20 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

(03-18-2019 08:11 PM)Tribester Wrote:  Ever hear of something called marketing and/or spin? Preseason marketing has to get people excited to buy tickets and ignore the fact that our head coach was still employed by us even though he had only won one conference championship in 15 years with zero NCAA appearances. Marketing 101 would suggest emphasizing the negatives of that same coach that you just decided to dismiss.

Here, I’ll make it easier for you:

“QUARTERBACK CLUB 1965
March 18, 2019 at 1:26 am
Fantastic coverage of W&M Athletics on this site. Always fun to read your stories. A few thoughts on this latest news:
A good leader always manages to make tough decisions without alienating half the customer base, is a consensus builder, listens before reacting, and avoids unnecessary conflicts.

Had our AD waited one more year before the firing, we’d have either made the tournament or entered a rebuilding phase- and a much more practical / palatable opportunity to fire the coach.

Regardless of your opinion of our AD, or of firing the coach with the highest winning percentage in the conference over the last six years, the reality is:
1- half the fan base is outraged
2- at least 2/5 returning starters are considering transferring
3- we now owe $1,700,000 to a coach we no longer employ
4- our athletic department can’t fund capital improvements for certain teams already, i.e. swimming pool for swim team
5- regardless of the basketball program’s success going forward, fewer fans will care – we’ve sold out our core values of doing things the right way, buying out our most successful coach ever as we fire him
6- an NCAA tournament birth next year would be so tainted. The coach who built the program & assembled the players – gone; a new coach grasping for credit – winning in a down year for the CAA and looking to springboard into a school that pays real money; an AD taking credit for having the wisdom to “fix” the program -teaching a Dean Smith disciple lessons about coaching basketball, and players how to make free throws with a 7-point lead in the CAA Championship game 3 years ago, so thankful she is trying to tell us what winning is; and most importantly 12 players who don’t deserve and didn’t sign up to be caught up in this drama.

For those in support of this decision and timing, just consider the level of risk, the level of fallout, the drop in fundraising, the bad press, the loss of momentum, the all or nothing, win at all costs mindset, etc.,

There’s no way any rational, level-headed leader, makes this move, this year. Highest winning percentage in the CAA for the past six years, with five returning starters…at a school like W&M academically- and somehow the AD decides the timing was right to have all of us pay $1,700,000 for Shaver to go away now.

Why would anyone donate a penny to the school going forward? To endorse this type of leadership?”
03-18-2019 08:23 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

In her letter to the Tribe Club members today: “ he leaves an incredible legacy”. Are we being spun again? Does she believe it? How does one with an incredible legacy get fired?

Major damage control operation in effect ... the damage done by the firing is greater than any damage caused by Tony’s “failure” to make the Dance.
03-18-2019 08:32 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
Why did we ever let this guy go???[Image: e23a1f2b66aa3c531f7556e83926e7dc.jpg]

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
03-18-2019 08:39 PM
Naptown Tribe Offline
All American

Rick Boyages = “Turnaround Specialist” .... talk about a spin job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 08:44 PM by Naptown Tribe.)
03-18-2019 08:43 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

03-18-2019 08:56 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

In answer to the thread name: nope
03-18-2019 09:05 PM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(03-18-2019 08:39 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  Why did we ever let this guy go???[Image: e23a1f2b66aa3c531f7556e83926e7dc.jpg]

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Chucky and Rickey were the worst bunch in our MBB history.
03-18-2019 10:03 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Everyone sit down, have a glass of 12-year old single malt Scotch, and see what happens.

Daniel and Paul are participating on Huge's Selection Committee and this is a good sign.
03-19-2019 06:19 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Your website has how many points each player scored in the 1930s, but no archive of Media Guides before past seasons.
03-19-2019 07:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.