Tournament Upsets
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Tournament Upsets
Yale will beat LSU
Murray St will beat Marquette
New Mexico St will beat Auburn

Kansas would've gotten upset but lucked out with Northeastern.

You're welcome. /miko20
03-18-2019 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Tournament Upsets
(03-18-2019 10:57 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Yale will beat LSU

You're welcome. /miko20

What will determine upsets? Officials do every year. If a physical team plays with officials on the court who come from conferences that call things very tight and prefer a non physical game then the finesse teams will win. If officials which permit physicality call the game the finesse teams will lose. Top teams that look past their opener have good chance of losing. Top teams that focus on an opener have a great chance of blowing out the opponent. Key injuries will play a part in upsets as well.

Of the three you listed Murray State is good enough to be the higher seed. If they win it is what I expect, but I wouldn't call that an upset and it's not a dis of Marquette.

If Auburn lives on their tournament championship they could lose. But they won't lose due to altitude. They play 11 deep in the starting rotation and will stay fresh enough. They play physically. So they will be subject to the officiating differences. If they get familiar with the rims and the background they'll be fine. Auburn shooters have difficulty playing in venues where the crowds are farther away and where there is a lot of empty space behind the baskets. I think it's a depth perception issue for the 3 point shooters. We can have 1 cold 3 shooter because we have 3 more. We can have two cold 3 shooters because we have 2 others. What we can't have is 3 cold three shooters. Because then they will double the one who is hot.

As to L.S.U. without their head coach, anything could happen. They'll either be motivated or not, or assistants either can make game time decisions or they can't.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 12:38 PM by JRsec.)
03-18-2019 12:34 PM
TampaTom Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
I always have that wacky pick that makes no sense. So here it is.

#15 Abilene Christian, in their first NCAA tournament, shatters the roof and topples tournament blue blood #2 Kentucky.
03-18-2019 01:02 PM
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
I'll double down on wacky! Virginia goes down again in spectacular fashion!
I will not place this my bracket because I have zero confidence in this statement.
03-18-2019 01:03 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(03-18-2019 12:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

You're welcome. /miko20

What will determine upsets? Officials do every year. If a physical team plays with officials on the court who come from conferences that call things very tight and prefer a non physical game then the finesse teams will win. If officials which permit physicality call the game the finesse teams will lose. Top teams that look past their opener have good chance of losing. Top teams that focus on an opener have a great chance of blowing out the opponent. Key injuries will play a part in upsets as well.

Of the three you listed Murray State is good enough to be the higher seed. If they win it is what I expect, but I wouldn't call that an upset and it's not a dis of Marquette.

If Auburn lives on their tournament championship they could lose. But they won't lose due to altitude. They play 11 deep in the starting rotation and will stay fresh enough. They play physically. So they will be subject to the officiating differences. If they get familiar with the rims and the background they'll be fine. Auburn shooters have difficulty playing in venues where the crowds are farther away and where there is a lot of empty space behind the baskets. I think it's a depth perception issue for the 3 point shooters. We can have 1 cold 3 shooter because we have 3 more. We can have two cold 3 shooters because we have 2 others. What we can't have is 3 cold three shooters. Because then they will double the one who is hot.

As to L.S.U. without their head coach, anything could happen. They'll either be motivated or not, or assistants either can make game time decisions or they can't.

Yale is a decent pick for anyone who wants to pick a double-digit seed not just because LSU is in chaos, but because Yale has a good team.

Auburn got a very favorable draw. If they focus and get through the first round, then all they have to do to get to the sweet 16 is beat the worst Kansas team in more than a decade.
03-18-2019 01:15 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
I think that due to style of play, UCF has a very good chance of upsetting Duke in the round of 32.
03-18-2019 01:42 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-18-2019 01:15 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(03-18-2019 12:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

You're welcome. /miko20

Yale is a decent pick for anyone who wants to pick a double-digit seed not just because LSU is in chaos, but because Yale has a good team.

Auburn got a very favorable draw. If they focus and get through the first round, then all they have to do to get to the sweet 16 is beat the worst Kansas team in more than a decade.

Ha! That's what we thought in '84 when Charles Barkley, Chuck Person and Chris Morris (3 future NBA greats) lost to Richmond in the opening round.
03-18-2019 01:43 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Georgia St over Houston.
03-18-2019 02:07 PM
RandomFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Mid-Majors
UC Irvine over K-State
03-18-2019 02:17 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(03-18-2019 01:03 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  I'll double down on wacky! Virginia goes down again in spectacular fashion!
I will not place this my bracket because I have zero confidence in this statement.

I kind of thought Virginia was being trolled by the committee drawing the one AQ who could beat ACC teams. And I really thought the committee was going to protect the 1’s from this school because of that.

I don’t think lightning strikes twice, but I think it might be pretty close.

As for other upsets...you have to go back to January to when SMC lost to someone other than Gonzaga, and then they finally got over that hump. That, plus a Villanova team that tends to have the yips the first weekend? I actually could see no 6-seeds surviving their first games. VERY tough draws for all.

I don’t think I buy into Murray State and NMSU. Tough draws, even if Marquette is falling apart.

The one I’d go out on a ledge for? The Techs get in trouble with NKU and SLU respectively.
03-18-2019 03:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.