Bookmark and Share
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
The Buy Out
Per a FOIA request:

X. Termination by the College without Cause

Severance

The College May terminate this Agreement without cause, in which case it shall pay the Coach, or his estate, severance payments in the amount that accords with the salary structure set forth in Section V, Paragraph A, for the remainder of the Term of the Agreement. Any such payments shall be made in equal monthly installments, during the remaining Term of the Agreement. The severance described in this Section shall be paid to Coach in lieu of any other severance benefit potentially available to Coach as a College employee.
03-17-2019 07:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

RE: The Buy Out
Monthly payments.

I made an inquiry. There is no donor. This is coming out of the Athletics Department’s funds.

So, on One Tribe One Day next month, you will be donating to pay for a fired coach (for the next five years) while also paying for the newly hired coach, and you will be doing that for the next five years.

So, when the College tells you that they have money issues, this is one of them.

So, when a non-basketball sport tells you that money has been diverted to hoops, this is why.

So, if you abhor what happened to Tony, and want nothing to do with it, but you love this old school, you will now be stained with the blood of this shameful act when you donate over the next five years.

That is our new reality and it brought me to tears yesterday in a conversation with dear friends.

This stain will never go away.

This is a consequence of the fact that “William and Mary fired Tony Shaver”.

I apologize for any petulance and lack of objectivity in this post.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019 08:33 AM by nj alum.)
03-17-2019 07:42 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
(03-17-2019 07:37 AM)nj alum Wrote:  Per a FOIA request:

X. Termination by the College without Cause

Severance

The College May terminate this Agreement without cause, in which case it shall pay the Coach, or his estate, severance payments in the amount that accords with the salary structure set forth in Section V, Paragraph A, for the remainder of the Term of the Agreement. Any such payments shall be made in equal monthly installments, during the remaining Term of the Agreement. The severance described in this Section shall be paid to Coach in lieu of any other severance benefit potentially available to Coach as a College employee.

Thanks for getting this information for all concerned alumni. Any chance you could post Section V Paragraph A since it appears to provide the salary structure?
03-17-2019 08:17 AM
Zorch Online
All American

I Root For: W&M
The most absolutely amazing thing about all of this is that someone received a response on a FOIA request so quickly.
03-17-2019 08:25 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

In consideration for his services as Head Men’s Basketball Coach, the College shall pay Coach the following annual base salaries during the Term of this Agreement:

7/1/10 - 6/30/11: $205,000
7/1/11 - 6/30/12: $211,100
7/1/12 - 6/30/13: $217,400
7/1/13 - 6/30/14: $224,000
7/1/14 - 6/30/15: $230,700
7/1/15 - 6/30/16: $237,600
03-17-2019 08:31 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(03-17-2019 08:31 AM)nj alum Wrote:  In consideration for his services as Head Men’s Basketball Coach, the College shall pay Coach the following annual base salaries during the Term of this Agreement:

7/1/10 - 6/30/11: $205,000
7/1/11 - 6/30/12: $211,100
7/1/12 - 6/30/13: $217,400
7/1/13 - 6/30/14: $224,000
7/1/14 - 6/30/15: $230,700
7/1/15 - 6/30/16: $237,600

Seems to be an old contract they sent you based on these dates or does it have an addendum?
03-17-2019 08:39 AM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I. Term of Employment

The College will employ Coach as Head Men’s Basketball Coach for a term of six (6) years beginning 7/1/10 and ending on 6/30/16 (Term), unless extended or terminated. as hereinafter provided in this Agreement. Furthermore, the parties will meet each June during the Term, beginning in June 2012, to consider the extension of the Term for an additional year, pending review of the basketball program by the Director of Athletics, so that the Coach may have a continuous five-year appointment. The College reserves the right not to extend the Term of this Agreement based on a review of the basketball program each year. The College will notify the Coach no later than June 30 of each year, beginning with June 30,2012, of the decision to extend the Term of the Agreement or not to extend the Term of the Agreement.
03-17-2019 08:42 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

So, June came early this year.

Not only did it come early, the College zoomed right past extend or not to extend, and terminated.

So, Shaver presumably was extended in June, 2018 after a review. During that review in June, 2018, was Shaver put on notice? If not, why not?

What changed between June, 2018 and March, 2019?

Objective enough?
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019 08:46 AM by nj alum.)
03-17-2019 08:45 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(03-17-2019 08:42 AM)nj alum Wrote:  I. Term of Employment

The College will employ Coach as Head Men’s Basketball Coach for a term of six (6) years beginning 7/1/10 and ending on 6/30/16 (Term), unless extended or terminated. as hereinafter provided in this Agreement. Furthermore, the parties will meet each June during the Term, beginning in June 2012, to consider the extension of the Term for an additional year, pending review of the basketball program by the Director of Athletics, so that the Coach may have a continuous five-year appointment. The College reserves the right not to extend the Term of this Agreement based on a review of the basketball program each year. The College will notify the Coach no later than June 30 of each year, beginning with June 30,2012, of the decision to extend the Term of the Agreement or not to extend the Term of the Agreement.

This states the intent is to have a 5 year agreement after June 2012.

We do not know if the contract was extended in June 2018 for 5 years but let us assume it was. Even if it was extended, not sure how Shaver's agent told the DP it was good thru June 2024 as the 5 years would end June 2023. Also his agent says he is owed 1.7M so does the contract have a provision for salary increases and if so can you share it? thanks
03-17-2019 09:00 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
The years that were listed seem to have a 3% per year escalator, so there should be a line somewhere indicating that this continues for the renewals going forward.

Either this is the operative contract and it was renewed in 6/18, or the FOIA response was inaccurate/incomplete and Tony’s agent lied to the DP. I think we’re pretty safe in assuming it was renewed.
03-17-2019 09:13 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(03-17-2019 08:45 AM)nj alum Wrote:  So, June came early this year.

Not only did it come early, the College zoomed right past extend or not to extend, and terminated.

So, Shaver presumably was extended in June, 2018 after a review. During that review in June, 2018, was Shaver put on notice? If not, why not?

What changed between June, 2018 and March, 2019?

Objective enough?

My guess the change could be based on any of the following:

1. Team performance
2. Feedback from Erik Korem who she hired and was working closely with the players after June 2018
3. She wanted to move on to a new coach and use the potential to win with current players to hire new coach
4. She perceived the Coach had changed
5. Reasons unknown to public that only AD knew

To be clear this does not mean I think Shaver had not EARNED the privilege to try to take HIS team to the DANCE if the AD thought he was going to retain all his players and be successful.

Guys i agree that how Shaver was "not retained" stinks but Huge is no dummy and we should give it time to see what facts unfold before we put on the war paint.
03-17-2019 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Tribester Offline
Banned

The hyperbole on this board is something else. This is NOT an indelible “stain” on W&M. No one is owed a contract for life, not even at W&M. Let’s see who the new coach is and what happens next year before we crucify Huge, Rowe, and the BOV.
03-17-2019 10:28 AM
Tank55 Offline
Bench Warmer

Thanks for posting this. So the only way his contract could expire naturally is to effectively give him a four-year notice? Any information about an offset for future employment?
03-17-2019 10:29 AM
Blow Gym rat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FUS
(03-17-2019 10:28 AM)Tribester Wrote:  The hyperbole on this board is something else. This is NOT an indelible “stain” on W&M. No one is owed a contract for life, not even at W&M. Let’s see who the new coach is and what happens next year before we crucify Huge, Rowe, and the BOV.

To join the ranks of those who love beating a metaphor to death (ice cream, anyone?) ....

It’s one of those stains that won’t come out in a few washings, even if you use Shout™, but it might eventually fade with regular washings over a period of years to a point where it’s just barely noticeable.
03-17-2019 11:09 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

(03-17-2019 10:28 AM)Tribester Wrote:  The hyperbole on this board is something else. This is NOT an indelible “stain” on W&M. No one is owed a contract for life, not even at W&M. Let’s see who the new coach is and what happens next year before we crucify Huge, Rowe, and the BOV.

No, there is no link between the two.

The timing and manner of Tony Shaver’s separation from William and Mary was a disgrace. A stain. Inexcusable. Anyone who took part in it is implicated, and those of us who have to pay for it are guilty by association, another disgrace. This should have been paid solely by someone who agrees with the time and manner of this, and not “offed” to us.

Heavy and extreme criticism is justified; silence is complicity.

Unlike those who did the “deed”, I’m not into taking someone’s job. And unlike some here, I do not want the AD, the President, or the BOV to quit, resign, or be fired.

This comes with the territory. They knew there’d be blowback. I’m providing some, petulantly.

I will pay my blood money, and support the school, program, the new coach, the players, the team, the Administration, etc., etc., etc.

But I will never look at them the same ever again.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019 11:32 AM by nj alum.)
03-17-2019 11:25 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

One point is that we don't get hit with the 1.7m in one fell swoop as everyone believed a few days ago...not that it really helps, but it is less of an impact on the yearly budget spread out like you indicate.

Now, a question...does the pay continue if he takes another job and, if the other job pays less do we pay the difference?
03-17-2019 12:03 PM
Advertisement

TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Bubbadog57. Almost certainly that is correct, W&M pays the difference. Unless the Tribe hits the NCAA lottery, this is a fiscally disastrous move for all Tribe Athletics. I hate the optics of this, the way it was handled, and the potential impact on all Tribe sports. I don't like what has occurred. Something has been lost. I still don't like this and I will never forget it, but I'll understand when the Shaver haters and other big donors pony up the 3 million to fund this plan. If we don't have it, reversing course and doing the right thing is still the best option.
03-17-2019 12:27 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(03-17-2019 09:00 AM)wmmii Wrote:  
(03-17-2019 08:42 AM)nj alum Wrote:  I. Term of Employment

This states the intent is to have a 5 year agreement after June 2012.

We do not know if the contract was extended in June 2018 for 5 years but let us assume it was. Even if it was extended, not sure how Shaver's agent told the DP it was good thru June 2024 as the 5 years would end June 2023. Also his agent says he is owed 1.7M so does the contract have a provision for salary increases and if so can you share it? thanks

NJ Alum-since you have the contract could you either post it or fill the gaps on how his agent determined he is owed 1.7M which is way more than the salary numbers you have plus how he still have 5 more years versus what I read as 4 years left? thanks for all your efforts!
03-17-2019 12:36 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

The Buy Out
NJ how did you get them to respond to your FOIA request? I had to prove VA residency (which I do not have)

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
03-17-2019 03:35 PM
Zorch Online
All American

(03-17-2019 10:28 AM)Tribester Wrote:  Let’s see who the new coach is and what happens next year before we crucify Huge, Rowe, and the BOV.

"Oh, no! Look! John Wilkes Booth has shot President Lincoln. That's terrible!"

"Sure it is --- but let's wait and see who the next president is before we judge Booth too harshly."
03-17-2019 03:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.