Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is the College Football Playoff Losing Viewers... STUPID QUESTION!
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/why-is-t...rs.697362/

Really stupid question here. Everyone is tired of watching Bama v Clemson. I won't watch a playoff without a B1G school in the field. If there are more people like me (and I'm sure there are) the left coast and the northern states haven't had a dog in the fight the last few years so why would they expect us to tune in.
03-16-2019 07:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Shox Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
RE: Why is the College Football Playoff Losing Viewers... STUPID QUESTION!
(03-16-2019 07:31 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  https://www.thecoli.com/threads/why-is-t...rs.697362/

Really stupid question here. Everyone is tired of watching Bama v Clemson. I won't watch a playoff without a B1G school in the field. If there are more people like me (and I'm sure there are) the left coast and the northern states haven't had a dog in the fight the last few years so why would they expect us to tune in.

Fair enough, I don't watch the Semis unless a Big XII team is in it. I did watch the Natty though. It would be can't miss TV for me though if it was 5 champs, 2 at large and a G5.
03-16-2019 07:40 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-16-2019 07:40 PM)Shox Wrote:  
(03-16-2019 07:31 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  https://www.thecoli.com/threads/why-is-t...rs.697362/

Fair enough, I don't watch the Semis unless a Big XII team is in it. I did watch the Natty though. It would be can't miss TV for me though if it was 5 champs, 2 at large and a G5.

Just another reason why P5 champ auto-bids should be an absolute requirement in the next contract.
03-16-2019 07:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

Everyone is tired of watching Bama v Clemson.

Really? I don't get tired of watching the best teams play each other. Would it make you feel better about yourself if we give Ohio State a participation trophy? 07-coffee3
03-16-2019 07:48 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2019 07:48 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Really? I don't get tired of watching the best teams play each other. Would it make you feel better about yourself if we give Ohio State a participation trophy? 07-coffee3

That's ridiculous. He isn't asking for a Big Ten team in the championship - he's asking for one in the playoffs. With an 8-team field I think that's reasonable.
03-16-2019 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy

Poor little rich boy. At least your conference and team have a chance to compete for a national chmapionship. That's not true of everybody.
03-16-2019 08:14 PM
Advertisement

Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

Don't be a donkey. I'm just stating the obvious. Why would I watch a game I don't have a rooting interest in? And furthermore I'm probably not the only one tired of seeing Bama v Clemson.
03-16-2019 08:43 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
The Suckeyes might try to play a decent OOC and they might get in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019 10:24 PM by Jjoey52.)
03-16-2019 10:24 PM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

(03-16-2019 10:24 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  The Suckeyes might try to play a decent OOC and they might get in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have got to be kidding. Ohio State plays a marque opponent every year. As you may or may not know schedules are made far in advance so teams fluctuate but since the BCS started we've played or will play home and away at: TCU, OKLAHOMA, CAL, MIAMI, TEXAS, USC, VIRGINIA TECH, NOTRE DAME, OREGON. Who have you all played non conference excluding bowl games?
03-16-2019 11:13 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Ohio State was in until they lost to Purdue and Oklahoma then stole their spot

Not sure how that’s the committees fault
03-16-2019 11:44 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2019 08:43 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  

Don't be a donkey. I'm just stating the obvious. Why would I watch a game I don't have a rooting interest in? And furthermore I'm probably not the only one tired of seeing Bama v Clemson.

You are not stating anything obvious at all. You're just stating your opinion, and trying to suggest that everybody shares that opinion. Newsflash - they don't. Want to get in the CFP? Play better.
03-17-2019 07:10 AM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
It would be interesting to see how much it affects ratings if a game is a blowout or not.

The article's idea that the NCG needs to be on a Saturday is a good one. I have to be honest, it is too easy to forget about the game when it is on a Monday night the weekend after a bunch of NFL playoff games.
03-17-2019 08:27 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-16-2019 07:40 PM)Shox Wrote:  

n here.

I did watch the Natty though.

I watched it 2 years ago. Loved watching UCF beat Auburn in Peach bowl.
03-17-2019 09:10 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Lots of people watch the super bowl. Not just Patriots and Rams fans. Not just NFC East and AFC West fans. The commercials are not that great anymore and the games usually are not very competitive.

College fans are different. They root hard for their team to win. They root harder for their rival to loose. Beyond that, they don't really care much about the games.

I'm not tired of Clemson/Bama but it is little more than a box score to me.
03-17-2019 11:05 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston

I dont think that was really his point. I think he's just saying if you get two teams from the completely different highly populated portions of the nation---you are likely to get good national numbers. If you get two teams from the same general region of the country---you're going to get strong numbers from that region---but the rest of the country will find the game less compelling.

Thats a good argument for an 8 team playoff where all P5 champs get autobids. It guarantees a rooting interest from every portion of the country is present so there is more interest in the playoff starting from the very first round. You obviously cant control the final round outcome (you could still end up with a final that pits two teams from the same general region)---but the population of people interested in the playoff from the very start of the first round should equate to a bigger pool of folks interested in seeing how the final round plays out.
03-17-2019 11:05 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Throw in a Cinderella team like they do in men's basketball with the likes of Villanova, Gonzaga, VCU, Butler and others with teams like UCF, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois, Boise State, Fresno State, Houston and others in football? You might get a lot of interests. As it is, the same 4 teams becomes a snooze fest for fans who are not fans of the 4 teams in the playoffs. I am tired of Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State getting in so many times. I called the NCG a complete joke. I made UCF my National Champ after they beat Auburn a couple of years ago. I did not put Alabama in my top 2 since they lost to Auburn and never played in the SEC Championship.
03-17-2019 02:39 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2019 11:05 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I dont think that was really his point. I think he's just saying if you get two teams from the completely different highly populated portions of the nation---you are likely to get good national numbers. If you get two teams from the same general region of the country---you're going to get strong numbers from that region---but the rest of the country will find the game less compelling.

Thats a good argument for an 8 team playoff where all P5 champs get autobids. It guarantees a rooting interest from every portion of the country is present so there is more interest in the playoff starting from the very first round. You obviously cant control the final round outcome (you could still end up with a final that pits two teams from the same general region)---but the population of people interested in the playoff from the very start of the first round should equate to a bigger pool of folks interested in seeing how the final round plays out.

The stated premise was that that the CFP is losing viewers. I don't think there's enough data to make a statement like that. What you can say, looking at the data, is that the semifinal games don't draw nearly as well when they are played in December instead of New Year's Day.

If the purpose of the playoff structure is to get the biggest TV audience, maybe you could make an argument for an 8 team playoff. But I believe coaches and ADs, and many fans, still prefer as a goal to see the best teams (to the extent it's possible to identify them) in the playoff.
03-17-2019 04:09 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

Perhaps if Ohio State is in the position to prevent Clemson vs Alabama again they'd do better than a 31 point shutout.

BTW, Thor Odinson has at least two more years as our starting QB. If you are tired of seeing Clemson in the playoffs you best get a pillow and at least make yourself comfortable.
03-17-2019 05:32 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2019 11:05 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

THIS is a big issue (it could be worse - could be 2 from the same conference!). Having a Clemson/Alabama final 3 out of 4 years (and Alabama/Georgia the 4th) is very repetitive. That said, it's not the fault of Alabama or Clemson...

I'm totally in favor of 8 teams with one from each P5 to guarantee full national coverage of the first round, but even then you could end up with 4 Southern teams in round #2, for example.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019 11:08 PM by Hokie Mark.)
03-17-2019 06:38 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
So far in it's playoff career the only team that has knocked Clemson out has been Alabama. Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Notre Dame have all had the opportunity to prevent a Clemson vs Alabama matchup & all have lost in convincing fashion. Perhaps instead of bemoaning the two best programs meeting in the final you should be concentrating on making your own program competitive at the highest level.
03-17-2019 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.