Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[news] 49 killed in terrorist attack on Mosque in NZ
bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
Quote:At least 49 people were killed and 20 seriously injured in mass shootings at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch Friday, in a carefully planned and unprecedented attack that has shocked the usually peaceful nation.

New Zealand's Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, called the incident a terrorist attack in a Friday press conference, saying the suspects held "extremist views" that have no place in New Zealand or the world.
The attacks targeted two mosques in central Christchurch at lunchtime local time Friday.
A total of 48 people, including young children with gunshot wounds, were admitted to Christchurch hospital for treatment.
Three men and one woman were arrested in the immediate aftermath of the incident. One man in his late 20s was charged with murder and will appear in court Saturday morning local time.

The man that will be charged is an Aussie

Link
03-15-2019 07:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: [news] 49 killed in terrorist attack on Mosque in NZ
What are their gun laws like in NZ?
03-15-2019 07:17 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Identity politics has ruined the fabric of the world.
03-15-2019 07:20 AM
bobdizole Offline
All American

(03-15-2019 07:17 AM)dfarr Wrote:  What are their gun laws like in NZ?

Stricter than here, not as strict as Australia. This isn't a law problem, this is a humanity problem.

Quote:Nearly 250,000 [1] licensed firearms owners own and use New Zealand's estimated 1.5 million [1] firearms.[2] As in Australia, but unlike the US and Canada, gun laws usually gain the support of both major parties before they are passed. Guns are not currently a major political issue, but have been restricted immediately after the Aramoana massacre in 1990, the Scottish Dunblane and Australian Port Arthur massacres in 1996.

Gun licences are issued at the discretion of the police in New Zealand provided the police consider the person to be of good standing[citation needed] and without criminal, psychiatric or drug issues as well as meeting other conditions such as having suitable storage facilities. They must be issued for a valid reason[citation needed]. Several different categories of licenses are permitted, with the lowest one permitting access to restricted semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, with limited capacity, while the higher levels which permit fully automatic weaponry and pistols are rarely issued to civilians.

Gun laws in NZ
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 07:28 AM by bobdizole.)
03-15-2019 07:27 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-15-2019 07:27 AM)bobdizole Wrote:  [quote='dfarr' pid='15977120' dateline='1552652262']
What are their gun laws like in NZ?

Stricter than here, not as strict as Australia. This isn't a law problem, this is a humanity problem.

'nuf said...
03-15-2019 07:39 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-15-2019 07:27 AM)bobdizole Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 07:17 AM)dfarr Wrote:  What are their gun laws like in NZ?

One of the really interesting things about the Australian gun law is how little impact it has actually had. Yes, gun deaths are down since it was passed in 1997, at precisely the same rate that they were declining for the 20 years prior. Plot their gun deaths from 1977 to present, and it's a straight line with a slightly downward trend. And there are actually about as many guns in Australia now than before the law was passed. They are just different types.

Studies are all over the board. Some researchers have determined an impact, some have determined basically no effect.

The bottom line is that, like UK, Australia had very low rates of gun violence before enacting its gun law. And that seems to be the critical factor. Places that had low rates of gun violence before passing strict gun laws have seen their rates stay low with strict gun laws. Places that had high rates of gun violence before passing strict gun control laws have seen their rates stay high, or even go up, with strict gun laws. We are in that latter category. I would expect strict gun laws to work as well here as Prohibition did.
03-15-2019 08:35 AM
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
what a sick ****...
03-15-2019 08:48 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(03-15-2019 07:20 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Identity politics has ruined the fabric of the world.

This.
03-15-2019 09:11 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
You read about all the terrorist attacks then combine them with stories of Muslim "troubles" in England, Germany, Sweden, etc. and you almost had to know it was just a matter of time before someone on the unstable side decided to return the favor.....
03-15-2019 10:03 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Terrible event. Very sad.
03-15-2019 10:05 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-15-2019 10:03 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  You read about all the terrorist attacks then combine them with stories of Muslim "troubles" in England, Germany, Sweden, etc. and you almost had to know it was just a matter of time before someone on the unstable side decided to return the favor.....

Yeah the killer specifically mentioned terrorists attacks in Europe. He was especially focused on anti Ottoman Empire, Anti Turk stuff, the Kosovo Serbian stuff. His goal was to Balkanize the USA and start a civil war here.
03-15-2019 10:13 AM
Advertisement

HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
Very tragic and a big disappointment, what is this world coming to?
03-15-2019 10:56 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
So much for the left touting the success of Aussie gun laws saving lives.

Weird... how if bad people intent on committing a disgusting crime will commit a crime as a means to commit a crime.
03-15-2019 11:19 AM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
(03-15-2019 10:13 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 10:03 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  You read about all the terrorist attacks then combine them with stories of Muslim "troubles" in England, Germany, Sweden, etc. and you almost had to know it was just a matter of time before someone on the unstable side decided to return the favor.....

Yeah the killer specifically mentioned terrorists attacks in Europe. He was especially focused on anti Ottoman Empire, Anti Turk stuff, the Kosovo Serbian stuff. His goal was to Balkanize the USA and start a civil war here.

It's amazing to think that there are people out there thinking they can change the world. I just hope to go through my day and impact pockets of people.....this MF thinks he can pop off in a mosque and change the entire globe.
03-15-2019 11:28 AM
bobdizole Offline
All American

(03-15-2019 11:19 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  So much for the left touting the success of Aussie gun laws saving lives.

Weird... how if bad people intent on committing a disgusting crime will commit a crime as a means to commit a crime.

Aussie and New Zealand laws are completely different...as are the countries themselves.
03-15-2019 11:31 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(03-15-2019 11:31 AM)bobdizole Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 11:19 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  So much for the left touting the success of Aussie gun laws saving lives.

Aussie and New Zealand laws are completely different...as are the countries themselves.

Yeah. I get that. So how did an AUSSIE do one of the following

1. Get his hands on guns in Aus and then transport them to NZ

Or

2. Purchase firearms in a country in which he’s not a citizen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
03-15-2019 01:21 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(03-15-2019 01:21 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 11:31 AM)bobdizole Wrote:  

Yeah. I get that. So how did an AUSSIE do one of the following

1. Get his hands on guns in Aus and then transport them to NZ

Or

2. Purchase firearms in a country in which he’s not a citizen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A non citizen can buy firearms in NZ. Process is the same. You still have get a license from the police, do an interview, have references etc. It is certainly possible that he and his team acquired them illegally.
03-15-2019 01:26 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
Didn’t take long for CARE to blame it on Trump. Never mind the savagery committed by muslims all over the planet. This was an unfortunate event that was unfortunately easily foretold. Didn’t need to be a Nostradamus.
03-15-2019 01:33 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

The majority of Muslims are peaceful people. It is just a small number who terrorized other Muslims and the whole world. Only around 1 million joined a terrorist group while the majority around 100 million do not. Some groups are mislabeled as terrorist groups, but they are not. The Muslim brotherhood in Egypt formed because of the brutal dictators that ruled. When that Muslim Brotherhood who won as elected leader? He went after terrorists group in Egypt that are know supports ISIS. You know who stepped in and caused a coup in that country? Saudi Arabia because those terrorist groups that the Muslim Brotherhood leader went after are Sunis. This guy was actually working for a peace between Israel and Hamas towards the road map to peace. No other Middle East leaders actually lefted a hand towards peace towards Israel. Saudi's are using Israel as part of their proxi war against Iran. They do not care about peace.
03-15-2019 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Bad people will find a way to kill, knives, cars, IEDs, guns are a symptom not the disease. BTW AOC managed to drag the NRA into this, WTF?!? How does a US political action organization impact what happens half way around the world?!?

AOC Hit's NRA "Prayers Can't Protect you"

Quote:“What good are your thoughts & prayers when they don’t even keep the pews safe?”

Spoken like a true atheist.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 03:30 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
03-15-2019 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.