Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AJC SPORTS EXCLUSIVE: NCAA finds high-level recruiting violations at Georgia Tech
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
MyBB AJC SPORTS EXCLUSIVE: NCAA finds high-level recruiting violations at Georgia Tech
Took a recruit to a strip club and gave $300.

It Sounds like Josh Pastner has been cooperating with NCAA officials and isn't in breach of contract.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/ncaa-...P9czFgd3I/

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...tech-probe
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 03:28 AM by ChrisLords.)
03-15-2019 12:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

RE: AJC SPORTS EXCLUSIVE: NCAA finds high-level recruiting violations at Georgia Tech
Maybe GT can use UNC's lawyers and nothing will happen.
03-15-2019 12:52 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
RE: AJC SPORTS EXCLUSIVE: NCAA finds high-level recruiting violations at Georgia Tech
Heads up from a Louisville fan:
The NCAA hates titty bars...
03-15-2019 04:27 AM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
laugh when NCAA goes after programs not even sniffing national titles......but super rich schools winning titles....nope, totally legit.

Won't even touch how in the same state a horrible UGA bball team just landed #2 bball prospect.

NCAA is so corrupt.
03-15-2019 07:57 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Nole,
Ain’t that the truth. Kentucky loading up on 5 or 6 burger boys a year and not one dollar is changing hands or be tucked. Come on....
Not to mention the crap that goes on at a certain ACC program and the NCAA turns its head.
03-15-2019 08:33 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Georgia State is going to get the book thrown at them.
03-15-2019 08:50 AM
Advertisement

copycat Offline
Why ask why?

I Root For: Georgia Tech
This nightmare is never going to end. We have a coach known for recruiting and can't recruit. The NCAA will hammer us "as an example" again. We're already at the bottom of the ACC and apparently want to start digging.
03-15-2019 09:23 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Well well well .... looks like a window to fire Pastner with cause and without a buyout has opened.

Oh look - Labarrie is involved. How much do you want to bet Paul Hewitt's ability to recruit above all others is related to his willingness to do things like this above all others? Labarrie was a nobody under Hewitt as a player. But it looks like Hewitt taught him how to play the game dirty. Ron Bell and Pastner implicated as well.

CLEAN HOUSE TODD. You just got handed a get out of jail free card for your basketball program. USE IT.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 10:51 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
03-15-2019 10:49 AM

In related Pastner news, the original Ron Bell whistle blower and Ron Bell himself are going to jail. Not in Arizona, weirdly, but in Georgia (hello karma?).

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-news/p...vHID8ZCWK/
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 10:56 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
03-15-2019 10:55 AM

The Final Four is when coaching moves happen. The NCAA and its timing are of course utter horse****, but as far as the future of the program goes you couldn't ask for a better news story or time for it to leak out in terms of firing EVERYBODY and starting over.
03-15-2019 11:04 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Personally, I believe whatever punishment the NCAA gives us, should be rightful. This is absurd and disgusting. And all the respect I had for Jarrett Jack is gone. This is ridiculous. Fire Pastner and lets start over....Time to change the culture!
03-15-2019 11:16 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-15-2019 10:49 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Well well well .... looks like a window to fire Pastner with cause and without a buyout has opened.

Oh look - Labarrie is involved. How much do you want to bet Paul Hewitt's ability to recruit above all others is related to his willingness to do things like this above all others? Labarrie was a nobody under Hewitt as a player. But it looks like Hewitt taught him how to play the game dirty. Ron Bell and Pastner implicated as well.

CLEAN HOUSE TODD. You just got handed a get out of jail free card for your basketball program. USE IT.

Tech could try that. But their chances of prevailing in the inevitable civil suit by Pastner aren't rock solid by a long shot. It might give them some leverage to negotiate a settlement with Pastner at an amount less than his full buyout, which would save everybody a boatload in legal fees.
03-15-2019 11:23 AM

(03-15-2019 11:16 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  Personally, I believe whatever punishment the NCAA gives us, should be rightful. This is absurd and disgusting. And all the respect I had for Jarrett Jack is gone. This is ridiculous. Fire Pastner and lets start over....Time to change the culture!

I disagree with that entirely. The NCAA is the most corrupt and morally bankrupt institution I can readily name. It houses more wretched scum and villainy than even the US Congress. GT had a lowly assistant taking a recruit to a strip club and giving them cash -- only for them to be fired by GT shortly thereafter -- and for the recruit in question to given even more cash to play at Oklahoma State (what, you mean nobody has played forward this accusation based upon who the player was and where they went??). If the NCAA hands out more punishment for that than for inventing fake diplomas at UNC or paying cash to straight up end player's careers through injury at Miami ... then at that point the gloves should come off and Todd Stansbury should spend half his time in front of a microphone pinging facts off the NCAA's head in the realm of public discourse. End the NCAA should be as sloganized as MAGA at that point.

Jarret Jack was the star PG recruit under Paul Hewitt. Labarrie was a Cremins hangover that was largely a bench player. Keep in mind Paul Hewitt was recruiting a ludicrous wealth of talent to GT at this time. When GT nearly won the title, they did so with an incompetent-as-**** X's and O's coach in Paul Hewitt. Notoriously they couldn't even inbound or free throw. But because that team went literally 10 players deep with future NBA players, it just didn't matter. Now how did Paul Hewitt get these players to GT at the height of the Dave Braine "well this guy isn't Homer Rice at all!" slide into oblivion when facilities and everything else were falling behind?

Do the math man. While this is a great chance to get rid of Pastner for free ... make no mistake this stench has the unmistakable whiff of Paul Hewitt to it.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 11:26 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
03-15-2019 11:24 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(03-15-2019 11:23 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 10:49 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Well well well .... looks like a window to fire Pastner with cause and without a buyout has opened.

Tech could try that. But their chances of prevailing in the inevitable civil suit by Pastner aren't rock solid by a long shot. It might give them some leverage to negotiate a settlement with Pastner at an amount less than his full buyout, which would save everybody a boatload in legal fees.

It worked for UConn after they fired Kevin Ollie. The Court granted UConn's Motion for Summary Judgment in the civil case. They haven't paid him a dime as far as I am aware of.
03-15-2019 11:41 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-15-2019 11:41 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 11:23 AM)ken d Wrote:  

It worked for UConn after they fired Kevin Ollie. The Court granted UConn's Motion for Summary Judgment in the civil case. They haven't paid him a dime as far as I am aware of.

IIRC, Ollie's suit alleged that his firing was racially motivated, not that UConn didn't have other cause for firing him due to recruiting violations. In effect, he didn't challenge the NCAA's finding that he was responsible for the violations, but rather said that race was the reason why he was fired for them and Jim Calhoun was not.

To date, the NCAA has not accused Pastner of any violations, and will likely take into account Tech's cooperation and their prompt actions in firing or disassociating with the parties who were accused - Labarrie and Bell.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 03:10 PM by ken d.)
03-15-2019 12:29 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(03-15-2019 12:29 PM)ken d Wrote:  To date, the NCAA has not accused Pastner of any violations, and will likely take into account Tech's cooperation and their prompt actions in firing or disassociating with the parties who were accused - LaBarrie and Bell.

Like they took GT action of telling a Student Athlete not to lie as a violation.
03-15-2019 12:52 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(03-15-2019 12:52 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 12:29 PM)ken d Wrote:  To date, the NCAA has not accused Pastner of any violations, and will likely take into account Tech's cooperation and their prompt actions in firing or disassociating with the parties who were accused - LaBarrie and Bell.

Like they took GT action of telling a Student Athlete not to lie as a violation.

The NCAA doesn't take into consideration cooperation anymore.

Louisville not only fully cooperated, they turned over everything they discovered in their investigation into stripper parties/hoes-fo-sho scandal ... and based on the $2600 or so "value" of low rent chicks for hire gave U of L, self imposed a post season ban (when they were looking at a top 4 seed minimum in the big dance, not like Syracuse when they knew they were gonna miss the dance anyway), and schollie reductions, plus other recruiting sanctions on visits, and on-the-road travel for assistants ... and the NCAA STILL brought down the hammer. Yanking over 100 victories, a national championship banner, and two final fours.

North Carolina did the smart thing, and fought the NCAA like a cornered badger, and wasn't touched.

Noone in the ACC should look at these two examples and think that cooperating with the NCAA is the right course of action.

Georgia Tech should lawyer up, and tell the NCAA to F-Off like UNC did.

Unless of course, they WANT a reason to jettison young-curly-headed Pastner. Then cooprate like hell .... and launch Pastner into CUSA or the Sun Belt.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 01:17 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
03-15-2019 01:15 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
(03-15-2019 08:50 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Georgia State is going to get the book thrown at them.

Nah we're too busy dancing again.
03-18-2019 05:03 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(03-15-2019 12:50 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Took a recruit to a strip club and gave $300.

It Sounds like Josh Pastner has been cooperating with NCAA officials and isn't in breach of contract.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/ncaa-...P9czFgd3I/

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...tech-probe

I am sure Pastner has been cooperating... Basically throwing every person he has ever met under the bus to save himself....

Pastner has never seen a bus that didn't require one of his assistants or players to get tossed under.
03-19-2019 11:20 AM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-15-2019 04:27 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Heads up from a Louisville fan:
The NCAA hates titty bars...

The problem is that UofL owned the bars and employed the help.
03-19-2019 12:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.