Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Basketball Off Season Updates
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
MyBB Men's Basketball Off Season Updates
Since the topic was brought up in the Recruiting thread...

Here's a spot we can speculate and discuss any possible or actual men's basketball updates.

04-cheers
03-11-2019 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Men's Basketball Off Season Updates
This is only speculation, but sources suggest McGrath will return in 2019-20. There were 900,000 reasons provided as to why that will be the case.
03-11-2019 10:19 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 10:19 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  This is only speculation, but sources suggest McGrath will return in 2019-20. There were 900,000 reasons provided as to why that will be the case.

I see what you did there. Hopefully he's got 900,000 reasons to shake up his staff!
03-11-2019 10:38 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(03-11-2019 10:38 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(03-11-2019 10:19 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  This is only speculation, but sources suggest McGrath will return in 2019-20. There were 900,000 reasons provided as to why that will be the case.

I see what you did there. Hopefully he's got 900,000 reasons to shake up his staff!

You gonna send your resume in or just keep yappin?

Name: Hoops, Seahawk
Position: In game strategist
Specialty: Defense
Experience: From North of the Mason Dixon Line; Watched Syracuse entire life
03-11-2019 10:56 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 10:56 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(03-11-2019 10:38 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

You gonna send your resume in or just keep yappin?

Name: Hoops, Seahawk
Position: In game strategist
Specialty: Defense
Experience: From North of the Mason Dixon Line; Watched Syracuse entire life

If you are going to shoot barbs at least capture my 10 years of coaching youth hoops. You are never going to get hired to promote anyone! Creating a bio and leaving out the most relevant experience. LOL 05-nono
Besides, why would i send a resume in if there are no openings?
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 11:46 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
03-11-2019 11:31 AM
Advertisement

Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
Off season overview...

Roster makeup

PG- Toews, Gadsden, **Brown
SG- Gadsden, Estime/Fornes/Sims
SF- Sims/Fornes/Estime, Boggs
PF- Cylla, Dodd
C- Linssen?

Set starters are in bold. Gadsden is listed as backup PG because he handled the basketball a lot this season. Look for the staff to bring in another ball handler/combo guard into the fold, especially if Ty Taylor transfers. Current targets that fit this mold are Keishawn Brewton, Donte Tatum, and Shykeim Phillips. Brewton is the only one of the 3 that hold an offer from UNCW that I know of, he also holds 20+ offers according to jucorecruitting.com. I'm a big fan of Tatum, and think he could fit in really well with our team. I like Phillips as well, but I don't see him coming to UNCW to sit behind Toews. Also, keep in mind that Jacque Brown can play, he might even grab one of these open scholarships depending how things shake out this season. We have 3 open as of now, with the possibility of more coming open. Sims/Fornes/Estime will battle for the starting 3 job. I like Sims here the most but look for Fornes to step up his senior season. I would like to see Estime move to playing more 2. He got exploited a lot playing the 3 this season by guys who were stronger than him, he could be well served being a 3 and D guy coming in behind Gadsden.

There are several question marks surrounding our frontcourt next season, but not at the 4. Cylla will start there, I expect Dodd to back him up and play significant minutes as a Freshman. Linssenn is the biggest question mark IMO. I feel like I know nothing about him. He looks like a strong kid that can potentially stretch the floor, but the staff will need to add experience here and they will have to get creative on the recruitting trail. As of now, Ben Beeker is the only known frontcourt target. He has not been offered and took an unofficial visit on 1/26 and is ranked 69th in NC by Phenom Hoops.

2019-2020 Non-Conference Schedule

Games we know for sure
Campbell
@Stanford
@ECU
@Davidson
UNC

Possible matchups
Mercer (return home game?)
Ga State (Return home game?)
Add an away game on the west coast trip (@San Jose State, @Santa Clara, @University of San Francisco) there could be more options but all of those mid-majors are within an hour of Stanford.
@UNCG (Wes Miller/CB McGrath continue the "rivalry")
Some other schools I'd like to see us match up against (The Citadel, Ga Southern, Coastal Carolina)
Non-Conference Tournament?
Claflin?

Coaching Staff

I'm sure Rob Burke is a nice guy, but we need to bring in an assistant coach that knows how to coach MULTIPLE defensive looks. (man to man, zone, press, etc...) I don't care who it is, or what their connections are. Just have a defensive background. Burke can go back to DOBO. No need to do anything other than that to the staff IMO. They deserve a 3rd year. McGrath will likely get a 4th year barring a catastrophic season in 19/20. By catastrophic I mean anything less than 10 wins will put him on the hot seat. I know some people might think the expectations need to be higher for CB but I find it hard to believe we would fire him after only 3 seasons considering how bare the program was when he got here.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 01:58 PM by Gary Miller.)
03-11-2019 12:07 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 12:07 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  I know some people might think the expectations need to be higher for CB but I find it hard to believe we would fire him after only 3 seasons considering how bare the program was when he got here.
He handled that part nicely! I'm not buying that excuse anymore. Anything less than .500 next year he's got to go. He has talent here, and has recruited well, and, well, you know the rest. If he doesn't prove he can do it next year he's got to go. If he has another season like this one next, we risk dropping to the depths of the Moss, Buzz era and it starts to effect the institution financially much much more than eating his salary would.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 12:21 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
03-11-2019 12:11 PM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
(03-11-2019 12:11 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(03-11-2019 12:07 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  I know some people might think the expectations need to be higher for CB but I find it hard to believe we would fire him after only 3 seasons considering how bare the program was when he got here.
He handled that part nicely! I'm not buying that excuse anymore. Anything less than .500 next year he's got to go. He has talent here, and has recruited well, and, well, you know the rest. If he doesn't prove he can do it next year he's got to go. If he has another season like this one next, we risk dropping to the depths of the Moss, Buzz era and it starts to effect the institution much much more than eating his salary would.

I understand this and I can't say that I disagree. I just think he gets 4 years.
03-11-2019 12:18 PM
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 12:18 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  I understand this and I can't say that I disagree. I just think he gets 4 years.

Agreed. I can't imagine the school would be willing to pony up $600,000 to get rid of him after Year 3. Sure, we spent a lot to fire Buzz Peterson, but can we really afford that again this time around?

That would impact how much we could pay the next coach, because I don't see anyone in the community writing any checks for this purpose.

It really isn't in Jimmy Bass' hands. Nor is Men's Basketball ever fully in the AD's hands, thanks to the massive financials involved.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 01:21 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
03-11-2019 01:19 PM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 01:19 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(03-11-2019 12:18 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  I understand this and I can't say that I disagree. I just think he gets 4 years.

Agreed. I can't imagine the school would be willing to pony up $600,000 to get rid of him after Year 3. Sure, we spent a lot to fire Buzz Peterson, but can we really afford that again this time around?

That would impact how much we could pay the next coach, because I don't see anyone in the community writing any checks for this purpose.

It really isn't in Jimmy Bass' hands. Nor is Men's Basketball ever fully in the AD's hands, thanks to the massive financials involved.
Come on man, you are smarter than that. It's not just the money that's owed to him. The financial impact of 1 or 2 more losing seasons would likely far exceed having to eat that money. You were around to see how far donations etc fell after the Moss and Buzz Era. We can't go there again it would be devastating!
03-11-2019 01:28 PM
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 01:28 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Come on man, you are smarter than that. It's not just the money that's owed to him. The financial impact of 1 or 2 more losing seasons would likely far exceed having to eat that money. You were around to see how far donations etc fell after the Moss and Buzz Era. We can't go there again it would be devastating!

We stand to lose Seahawk Club donors regardless. I'm sure we lost a bunch the moment Keatts left. Waiting 1 year and saving $300,000 would be preferable to appeasing the donors with instant gratification.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 01:34 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
03-11-2019 01:33 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 01:33 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(03-11-2019 01:28 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Come on man, you are smarter than that. It's not just the money that's owed to him. The financial impact of 1 or 2 more losing seasons would likely far exceed having to eat that money. You were around to see how far donations etc fell after the Moss and Buzz Era. We can't go there again it would be devastating!

We stand to lose Seahawk Club donors regardless. I'm sure we lost a bunch the moment Keatts left. Waiting 1 year and saving $300,000 would be preferable to appeasing the donors with instant gratification.

after 3 seasons it becomes clear the program is headed in the wrong direction(hopefully we can look back on this and laugh next year at this time as we march through the CAA tourney). it's not appeasing anyone with instant gratification more than it is letting donors know that they are not ok with their prize program going any further down the crapper and they are willing to make moves to turn it around.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 01:38 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
03-11-2019 01:35 PM
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 01:35 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  after 3 seasons it becomes clear the program is headed in the wrong direction(hopefully we can look back on this and laugh next year at this time as we march through the CAA tourney). it's not appeasing anyone with instant gratification more than it is letting donors know that they are not ok with their prize program going any further down the crapper and they are willing to make moves to turn it around.

I think what you'll see, if we don't show significant improvement next season, reports will start to surface the following offseason that he's "on the hot seat". That would help stem the tide of potential angry donors.

2020-21 would then become the ultimatum season.
03-11-2019 01:42 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

On principle, I don’t think anyone disagrees with you. “Eat the money” is all good and grand if (big IF in our case) you have the cash on hand to be able to eat THAT MUCH money and pay another contract. That money doesn’t just appear out of nowhere because people aren’t happy. Quite the opposite actually. There’s likely less money coming in making that even further an unrealistic expectation.

Then you have to find a better available option who is clearly willing to take a job on a short leash without much job security.

I’m not an economist by trade, and didn’t major in business finance or business. However, this all seems like common sense if you look at the situation objectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
03-11-2019 02:26 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Personally, if anyone thinks he’s not taking heat already from the AD or donors... those folks are massively naive at best. Sometimes it’s best to keep this conversations in house until the appropriate year. To think any major donor is okay with the current state of UNCW men’s basketball would be ridiculous. This program has 6 championships for a reason and the expectation is to always compete for one. I’m sure there are some serious close door conversations happening. For now, I’d rather they be kept between the coach and the appropriate people anyways. The rest of us small donors and fans don’t necessarily need to be privy to every nitty bitty detail.

03-11-2019 02:32 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 02:26 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

On principle, I don’t think anyone disagrees with you. “Eat the money” is all good and grand if (big IF in our case) you have the cash on hand to be able to eat THAT MUCH money and pay another contract. That money doesn’t just appear out of nowhere because people aren’t happy. Quite the opposite actually. There’s likely less money coming in making that even further an unrealistic expectation.

Then you have to find a better available option who is clearly willing to take a job on a short leash without much job security.

I’m not an economist by trade, and didn’t major in business finance or business. However, this all seems like common sense if you look at the situation objectively.

I'm guessing you are implying I'm not looking at it objectively, I am. And i did major in business, and i do run numbers for a living on a daily basis(dealing with millions, as 08 can attest too he's in this business, albeit a different part of it). IMO the money from a buyout would wind up being less(after next year) then the financial impact of keeping him and losing donors, playing in a half empty Trask etc . But let's digress, because hopefully we won't be having this discussion next year!
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 02:36 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
03-11-2019 02:35 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Toews said he and this young team will be back.
03-11-2019 03:44 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2019 03:44 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Toews said he and this young team will be back.
That's promising!
03-11-2019 03:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.