Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some Bowl Movement
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Some Bowl Movement
Beginning in 2020, the Las Vegas Bowl will annually feature a team from the Pac-12 against a team from the SEC or Big Ten, and a new bowl in Los Angeles will feature the Pac-12 against the Mountain West, sources told Stadium.

Other changes: The ACC will add the Holiday Bowl, the SEC and Big Ten will rotate between the Las Vegas and the Belk bowls, and the Outback Bowl will feature an ACC team if a Big Ten team is in the Orange Bowl, sources said.

The new conference tie-ins are expected to become official by May, when the NCAA’s new bowl cycle, from 2020-25, is formally announced.

Changes for the new bowl cycle starting in 2020, sources told Stadium, include:

The Las Vegas Bowl
In 2020, the Las Vegas Bowl moves from UNLV’s Sam Boyd Stadium to the new Las Vegas NFL stadium. In the course of the six-year deal, the SEC and Big Ten will each make three appearances against the Pac-12 in the Las Vegas Bowl. It’s expected to be either the third or fourth Pac-12 team after the Rose and Alamo Bowls are filled. It’s unknown what selection the SEC and Big Ten would send from their respective conference.

This will mark the first Pac-12 and SEC non-playoff bowl matchup since the 1989 Freedom Bowl. The Pac-12 currently plays bowl games against each of the Power 5 conferences except for the SEC. The two conferences have played in only nine non-College Football Playoff/New Year’s 6 bowls.

The Belk Bowl
The Charlotte-based bowl will rotate an SEC or Big Ten team, based on which league is in the Las Vegas Bowl. The Charlotte Bowl annually will feature an ACC team between 2020-25 against either an SEC or Big Ten team, with each league making three appearances. If an SEC team is in Las Vegas, a Big Ten team will be in Charlotte, and vice versa.

The new Los Angeles Bowl at Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park
The new LA bowl will feature the Pac-12 against the Mountain West. This is basically the old Las Vegas Bowl matchup with the bowl getting the first selection from the Mountain West against a Pac-12 team. The Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park opens in 2020 and will also host the 2023 College Football Playoff title game. This bowl is huge for the Mountain West, especially after its 19-year tie-in with the Las Vegas Bowl ends after this season.

The Holiday Bowl
With the Big Ten playing in Las Vegas and Belk, the Big Ten will not be affiliated with the Holiday Bowl after 2019 and will be replaced by the ACC. The San Diego-based bowl will feature the Pac-12 against the ACC from 2020-25.

The Gator Bowl
Starting in 2020, the Jacksonville-based bowl will feature an ACC vs. SEC matchup each season.

The Music City Bowl
Starting in 2020, the Nashville-based bowl will feature an SEC vs. Big Ten matchup each season.

The Outback Bowl
The Tampa-based bowl will still feature an SEC vs. Big Ten matchup, as it has since 1995. However, starting in 2020, when a Big Ten team earns a berth to the Orange Bowl, an ACC team will take the Big Ten’s place in the Outback Bowl. This arrangement previously was with the Citrus Bowl.

The Arizona Bowl
This year will mark the Sun Belt’s final season in the Arizona bowl. Starting in 2020, the Tucson-based bowl will pit the Mountain West against the Mid-American Conference.

The Myrtle Beach Bowl
The new bowl created by ESPN begins in 2020 and will feature teams from Conference USA, the Mid-American and Sun Belt. Each conference will play four times between 2020-25.

Starting with the new bowl cycle in 2020, here are the guaranteed minimum bowl tie-ins per conference (not including any teams that appear in the College Football Playoff):

ACC, SEC – 11
Big Ten – 9
Pac-12 – 8
Big 12 – 7
American – 7
Conference USA – 7
Mid-American – 6
Mountain West – 6
Sun Belt – 5

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-fo...3-05-2019/
03-05-2019 03:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Some Bowl Movement
So, we pick up the Holiday bowl in San Diego
Pick up the Gator full time but lose the Music City
The Belk now will have the B10 3 times out of 6 years instead of the SEC every year
Instead of picking up the Citrus when the B10 plays in the Orange bowl, we now pick up the Outback bowl

That's mostly positive. The Holiday is a long standing, high paying bowl. I don't know how interested ACC fans will be in flying out to San Diego to see their team play a Pac-12 team but it's good to have another high paying bowl. The Gator is better than the Music City; no problems there. I'd rather play the SEC every year in the Belk but maybe we'll have a better record against the B10. The Outback is a pay step down from the Citrus. I was surprised we didn't end up with the Outback originally instead of the Citrus but I believe it is still a NYD bowl.
03-05-2019 03:44 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I had to read that thread title a second time.
03-05-2019 03:47 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
A couple of thoughts.

First, this states that the ACC will have 11 guaranteed slots. This would be an increase from the current 9 or 10, so that's a plus.

Second, given that we have arranged another guaranteed slot, does this mean that the Holiday is in addition to the existing arrangements, aside from those identified as changing? Alternatively, is the Holiday a replacement for an existing arrangement, possibly the Sun, with another Second Tier bowl added that hasn't been announced?

The other two changes appear to be simply to switch the Gator/Music City shared arrangement for an exclusive arrangement with the Gator and to replace the current arrangement with the Citrus with one with the Outback.

We'll have to wait to find out. Given the release of this information, perhaps an official announcement is not too far away.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 03:57 PM by orangefan.)
03-05-2019 03:49 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(03-05-2019 03:44 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  So, we pick up the Holiday bowl in San Diego
The Belk now will have the B10 3 times out of 6 years instead of the SEC every year
Instead of picking up the Citrus when the B10 plays in the Orange bowl, we now pick up the Outback bowl

That's mostly positive. The Holiday is a long standing, high paying bowl. I don't know how interested ACC fans will be in flying out to San Diego to see their team play a Pac-12 team but it's good to have another high paying bowl. The Gator is better than the Music City; no problems there. I'd rather play the SEC every year in the Belk but maybe we'll have a better record against the B10. The Outback is a pay step down from the Citrus. I was surprised we didn't end up with the Outback originally instead of the Citrus but I believe it is still a NYD bowl.

San Diego is a nice trip especially in the winter.
03-05-2019 04:44 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-05-2019 03:49 PM)orangefan Wrote:  A couple of thoughts.

First, this states that the ACC will have 11 guaranteed slots. This would be an increase from the current 9 or 10, so that's a plus.

Second, given that we have arranged another guaranteed slot, does this mean that the Holiday is in addition to the existing arrangements, aside from those identified as changing? Alternatively, is the Holiday a replacement for an existing arrangement, possibly the Sun, with another Second Tier bowl added that hasn't been announced?

The other two changes appear to be simply to switch the Gator/Music City shared arrangement for an exclusive arrangement with the Gator and to replace the current arrangement with the Citrus with one with the Outback.

We'll have to wait to find out. Given the release of this information, perhaps an official announcement is not too far away.

Since the total number is increasing, the Holiday must be in addition to the Sun - so now 2 ACC/Pac-12 bowls

Also, from an ACC pov:
Outback Bowl > Citrus Bowl
Gator Bowl > Music City Bowl
B1G in Belk > SEC in Belk
03-05-2019 04:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(03-05-2019 04:58 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 03:49 PM)orangefan Wrote:  A couple of thoughts.

Since the total number is increasing, the Holiday must be in addition to the Sun - so now 2 ACC/Pac-12 bowls

Also, from an ACC pov:
Outback Bowl > Citrus Bowl
Gator Bowl > Music City Bowl
B1G in Belk > SEC in Belk

How is the Outback better than the Citrus?
03-05-2019 05:05 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(03-05-2019 05:05 PM)Statefan Wrote:  How is the Outback better than the Citrus?

Because the Outback Bowl kicks off at 11am, is on ESPN2 and pays less than the Citrus. Oh wait...03-lmfao

I assume the Camping World Bowl will still be ACC...so at least we have that.
03-05-2019 06:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
Pecking Order I Think:

1. Playoff
2. Orange
3-6. Camping/Gator/Holiday/Belk
7-8. Sun/Pinstripe
9-11. Independence/Military/Detroit
03-05-2019 07:44 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2019 06:58 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 05:05 PM)Statefan Wrote:  How is the Outback better than the Citrus?

Because the Outback Bowl kicks off at 11am, is on ESPN2 and pays less than the Citrus. Oh wait...03-lmfao

I assume the Camping World Bowl will still be ACC...so at least we have that.

IIRC, there was a time - not long ago - when it was the other way around. Or maybe I'm just not remembering correctly...
03-05-2019 08:50 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
My Guess (Whatever happen to that Chicago Bowl we were suppose to get??)

1. Playoff
2. Orange vs BIG, SEC, ND
2b. Outback vs SEC (When BIG is in the OB)
3. Camping vs B12
4-8.
Belk vs BIG/SEC
Gator vs SEC
Holiday vs PAC12
Pinstripe vs BIG
Sun vs PAC 12
9-11.
Military vs AAC
Detroit vs BIG
Independence vs SEC
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 09:56 PM by GTFletch.)
03-05-2019 09:51 PM
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville

Orlando < every-other-place-in-Florida
03-05-2019 10:22 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Gator Bowl behind Camping World? Yikes. I think Gator would get the runner-up. Maybe there will be a push to get the game back on NYD.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019 08:25 AM by cuseroc.)
03-06-2019 12:02 AM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
I would really like it if in addition to the ACC taking the B1G's spot in the Outback Bowl when the B1G plays in the Capital One Orange, that we also take the SEC's spot in the VRBO Citrus when the SEC plays in the Capital One Orange.

That would give the ACC a spot in either the Outback or Citrus every year and of course a spot in the Orange every year.
That would give the B1G a spot in either the Outback or Orange every year and a spot in the Citrus every year.
That would give the SEC a spot in either the Citrus or Orange every year and a spot in the Outback every year.

There would be a potential of Notre Dame playing in the Orange, so if that were to ever happen, the B1G and SEC would play in both the Citrus and Outback that year.

I know this is wishful thinking, but I like this math better.
03-06-2019 12:40 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(03-06-2019 12:02 AM)esayem Wrote:  Gator Bowl behind Camping World? Yikes. I think Gator would get the runner-up. Maybe there will be a push to get the game back on NYD.

If Gator wants the runnerup, they better up their payout. I dont think they were even close to the runnerup when they were with the BIG. While the name still carries some good branding, the Gator lost some relevance when they aligned with the BIG.
03-06-2019 08:25 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(03-05-2019 03:47 PM)ken d Wrote:  I had to read that thread title a second time.

Some bowel movement.

Call me slow but I just figured out what you were talking about

03-lmfao
03-06-2019 08:28 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(03-06-2019 08:25 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(03-06-2019 12:02 AM)esayem Wrote:  Gator Bowl behind Camping World? Yikes. I think Gator would get the runner-up. Maybe there will be a push to get the game back on NYD.

If Gator wants the runnerup, they better up their payout. I dont think they were even close to the runnerup when they were with the BIG. While the name still carries some good branding, the Gator lost some relevance when they aligned with the BIG.

Hmm, it looks like the RV Dealer Bowl surpassed the Gator payout in recent years. I remember when the Gator was one of the finalists to be the fifth BCS Bowl; you're right, aligning with the Big 10 definitely hurt their relevance.

Hopefully, the Gator Bowl and ACC work together to improve that. When the Gator featured ACC runner-up vs. Big East runner-up (with a Notre Dame option), it was a great New Year's Day bowl game.
03-06-2019 10:38 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-06-2019 08:28 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 03:47 PM)ken d Wrote:  I had to read that thread title a second time.

Some bowel movement.

03-lmfao

Did you have a mental "blockage"? 04-cheers
03-06-2019 10:42 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(03-05-2019 04:44 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 03:44 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  So, we pick up the Holiday bowl in San Diego

San Diego is a nice trip especially in the winter.

Nice payout too: $3 million per school is similar to the Sun and Gator. Pinstripe and Belk are at around $4.5 million, I believe, Camping World at $6.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo...story.html

Outback is a slight step down from the Citrus. $6 million versus $8 million. Still a solid payout, good location and matchup. Usually a ESPN2 slot, though as compared to an ABC slot.

I do like that the Gator and Holiday are more likely to be on or near New Year's Eve than the Music City and some of our other choices.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019 11:01 AM by orangefan.)
03-06-2019 10:55 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2019 08:28 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

Some bowel movement.

03-lmfao

Happiness is some nice bowl movement!
03-06-2019 11:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.