02-21-2019 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: Boeheim killed a man in accident
(02-21-2019 10:16 AM)samandrea Wrote:  https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/02/s...-kills-man

I was just about to post this. I feel terrible for him. I feel terrible for the deceased and his family. Fortunately, there was no alcohol involved on JB's part. I got into an accident with a pedestrian about 20 years ago. Its a horrible feeling, even though the pedestrian survived. The worst is yet to come for JB, unfortunately. The guilt is going to destroy him for a few weeks or more as he keeps reliving that moment.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2019 10:26 AM by cuseroc.)
02-21-2019 10:18 AM
samandrea Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(02-21-2019 10:18 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(02-21-2019 10:16 AM)samandrea Wrote:  https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/02/s...-kills-man

I was just about to post this. I feel terrible for him. I feel terrible for the deceased and his family. Fortunately, there was no alcohol involved on JB's part. I got into an accident with a pedestrian about 20 years ago. Its a horrible feeling, even though the pedestrian survived. The worst is yet to come for JB, unfortunately. The guilt is going to destroy him for a few weeks or more as he keeps reliving that moment.

Yeah, that is horrible. I can't imagine. Two families will be impacted forever from this accident.
02-21-2019 10:41 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

At 74, I'm afraid guilt will be taking a toll much longer than a few weeks. It would not surprise me at all if he were to retire as a result of this. I hope he doesn't, but I would understand.
02-21-2019 11:12 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Just awful. And so tragic.

Thoughts are with Coach Boeheim and the victim.
02-21-2019 11:14 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
My little brother ran into the street when he was ten years old and was killed by a vehicle driven by his best friend's father. A few years later both my parents and his were divorced. You just cannot imagine how devastating something like this can be until you go through it (and I don't wish that on ANYONE!).
02-21-2019 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
Can Boeheim coach Syracuse in a game now? Should he? I'm not assuming Boeheim bears any legal or moral responsibility but he's got to be very distracted now and, to my mind, it would be unseemly for him to be out in public coaching now. He doesn't need to sit in sackcloth and ashes forever, but for now, maybe he does.
02-21-2019 01:15 PM
cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-21-2019 01:15 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  Can Boeheim coach Syracuse in a game now? Should he? I'm not assuming Boeheim bears any legal or moral responsibility but he's got to be very distracted now and, to my mind, it would be unseemly for him to be out in public coaching now. He doesn't need to sit in sackcloth and ashes forever, but for now, maybe he does.

Basing it on my own experience, he wont coach the Duke game. I was not able to drive for over 2 weeks when I got into that accident with a pedestrian. Although the guy lived, it was unclear whether he would live for a few days. That stuff did me in. I cant imagine that he would try to coach that game. Im sure his lawyers are probably urging him not to because of the lawsuit that will surely come. In New York, if you run over or hit a pedestrian, you are automatically at fault, even if the pedestrian was laid out drunk in the middle of the road, because pedestrians always have the right away.

The guy that I hit was in the road while the light was green. I didnt see him because I was driving in the curb lane and a bus was driving on my left in the middle lane. The bus almost hit the guy but stopped and the guy ran straight into the side of my car. I was at fault even though many witnesses, some being attornies said the guy was running in the street on a green light. It was downtown Rochester during lunchtime so there were literally hundreds of folks who witnessed it.
02-21-2019 02:06 PM
cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-21-2019 12:19 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  My little brother ran into the street when he was ten years old and was killed by a vehicle driven by his best friend's father. A few years later both my parents and his were divorced. You just cannot imagine how devastating something like this can be until you go through it (and I don't wish that on ANYONE!).

What a terrible incident Mark.
02-21-2019 02:06 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(02-21-2019 11:12 AM)ken d Wrote:  

At 74, I'm afraid guilt will be taking a toll much longer than a few weeks. It would not surprise me at all if he were to retire as a result of this. I hope he doesn't, but I would understand.

I could see him going either way. Either he's so distraught he can't handle his job and retires or he wants to delve into his work as a distraction to thinking about what he did.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2019 06:21 PM by ChrisLords.)
02-21-2019 06:20 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
As everyone else on here has said, this matter will weigh heavily on Boeheim’s mind. It doesn’t sound like he did anything wrong legally, and I’m sure he hasn’t, but a human life is still a human life, and Boeheim will feel terrible for that family, I’m sure.
02-22-2019 06:52 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Coach Boeheim and I are the same age. I believe that if I were in his position today I would be considering things I would not have 30 years ago. I would be wondering if my age, and the physical issues that come with it, played a role in my being unable to avoid this. Two years ago, before undergoing cataract surgery, I'm sure my driving - especially at night - was compromised. I was lucky. The deterioration in my eyesight was so gradual I really didn't notice it, and that could have led to tragedy.

And I'm sure my reflexes aren't as good as they used to be. I'm pretty sure my driving skills are still adequate (and the state of North Carolina does, so far). But will I know when I cross the line, and need to hand over my keys? Coach B isn't there yet, probably by a long shot. But he's close enough for the doubts to make dealing with this tragedy much more difficult than it would be for a younger man.
02-22-2019 09:30 AM
cuseroc Online
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-21-2019 02:06 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(02-21-2019 01:15 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  Can Boeheim coach Syracuse in a game now? Should he? I'm not assuming Boeheim bears any legal or moral responsibility but he's got to be very distracted now and, to my mind, it would be unseemly for him to be out in public coaching now. He doesn't need to sit in sackcloth and ashes forever, but for now, maybe he does.

Basing it on my own experience, he wont coach the Duke game. I was not able to drive for over 2 weeks when I got into that accident with a pedestrian. Although the guy lived, it was unclear whether he would live for a few days. That stuff did me in. I cant imagine that he would try to coach that game. Im sure his lawyers are probably urging him not to because of the lawsuit that will surely come. In New York, if you run over or hit a pedestrian, you are automatically at fault, even if the pedestrian was laid out drunk in the middle of the road, because pedestrians always have the right away.

The guy that I hit was in the road while the light was green. I didnt see him because I was driving in the curb lane and a bus was driving on my left in the middle lane. The bus almost hit the guy but stopped and the guy ran straight into the side of my car. I was at fault even though many witnesses, some being attornies said the guy was running in the street on a green light. It was downtown Rochester during lunchtime so there were literally hundreds of folks who witnessed it.

I guess we were all wrong. WOW! According to this article from Syracuse.com, he will coach the Duke game. I guess thats why thrse guys are coaches in the first place, because of their incredible drive.

JB WILL COACH DUKE GAME
02-22-2019 05:40 PM
Advertisement

ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(02-22-2019 05:40 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

I guess we were all wrong. WOW! According to this article from Syracuse.com, he will coach the Duke game. I guess thats why thrse guys are coaches in the first place, because of their incredible drive.

JB WILL COACH DUKE GAME

Coaching a home game is the easy one. Let's guess which school is the first of many that classless students hang the sign "Boeheim killed a man" to welcome him on the road.
02-22-2019 06:29 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(02-22-2019 06:29 PM)ArQ Wrote:  

JB WILL COACH DUKE GAME

Coaching a home game is the easy one. Let's guess which school is the first of many that classless students hang the sign "Boeheim killed a man" to welcome him on the road.

Fortunately all ACC games left. I would think the schools will be on the lookout for signs like that and take the sign away.
02-22-2019 07:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-22-2019 06:29 PM)ArQ Wrote:  

JB WILL COACH DUKE GAME

Well, they've already played at Duke, so...
07-coffee3
02-23-2019 08:45 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

02-26-2019 07:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.