UMKC 100 day vision
02-12-2019 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MidWestMidMajor Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MidwestSchools
RE: UMKC 100 day vision
I really think UMKC did well in hiring Dr. Martin for AD. From what I can tell, he did a good job improving the athletic department at CSU-Northridge. In 2016 the basketball team got in trouble with the NCAA (a staffer doing players' homework?). In early 2018 HC Reggie Theus and AD Dr. Martin got in a fight, and the university president dismissed them both. He was looking for a new job at the same time UMKC was looking for a new AD (if I understand everything correctly). He sounds to me like he really knows what he is doing as an AD at a mid-major. Already it seems he has brought energy and vision.

Last year in the midst of budget cuts UMKC did a study on athletics which considered going down to d2 or even d3. I think the hire of Dr. Martin shows that is not going to happen. I think it shows commitment to d1. Dr. Martin didn't travel from California to be AD of a d2 school. UMKC is not going to play in the same conference as their next door neighbors, Rockhurst Univ.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019 06:24 PM by MidWestMidMajor.)
02-12-2019 06:24 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
“Becoming the next Wichita” and actively ditching a historic venue for D1’s 3rd smallest gym contradict each other. Wichita never dipped below 6k attendance from 90-02 when their best record was 16-15.
02-12-2019 06:54 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(02-12-2019 06:54 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  “Becoming the next Wichita” and actively ditching a historic venue for D1’s 3rd smallest gym contradict each other. Wichita never dipped below 6k attendance from 90-02 when their best record was 16-15.

Call it a process. The CSUB AD said his top priority when he took the job in August 2015, was to get the Runners into the Big West. It took a little over two years, but it happened. He got lucky, because it was a package deal with UCSD, but it happened.

So as part of the UMKC process, the Roos need to start winning and Martin needs to do a good job of fundraising. The hope has to be that they become a top 100 program and become attractive to the MVC when and if they have an opening. Maybe, like the CSUB AD, he gets lucky.

If they join the MVC eventually, they can move back to the Municipal Auditorium or decide to built an on-campus arena, if that is possible.
02-12-2019 08:29 PM
MidWestMidMajor Offline
Special Teams

(02-12-2019 06:54 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  “Becoming the next Wichita” and actively ditching a historic venue for D1’s 3rd smallest gym contradict each other. Wichita never dipped below 6k attendance from 90-02 when their best record was 16-15.

I'm glad he is aiming high. But no, there are nowhere near Wichita today. If you can only draw 1200 people to a game, it is better they are in a facility that seats 1500 than one that seats 9000. IIRC, UMKC was spending over $200,000 to rent the Municipal Auditorium. From what I saw on the WAC-DN, there didn't seem to be any atmosphere or energy in the Muni; they seem to have that now in Swinney.

Hopefully in a 5-10 years of improving teams and improving marketing it will be worth their while to go back to the Muni and have a crowd waiting for them.

PS. Remember the court they had not long ago that had writing in comic sans serif along the ends? That was cringe-worthy. Nothing says "small time" quite like that. A secretary must have designed in a MS Word document.
02-12-2019 11:15 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
I don't remember that script, but would like to see if for a chuckle. Any pics?

One problem UMKC has now is history. They have been D I for 30 years and not done anything. They are written off in the community mind, who mostly root for KU, K State or Mizzou. They might have had a window of time to draw people in as fans, but that is long closed. The best they can even hope for now is pretty meagre.

But winning does a lot, and everybody loves a winner, so who knows... If they put a good product in the court and provide good entertainment, I guess they have a chance. Municipal Auditorium is a genuine gem, so anything they can do to get back there would help.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019 11:52 PM by Todor.)
02-12-2019 11:51 PM
Advertisement

MidWestMidMajor Offline
Special Teams

(02-12-2019 11:51 PM)Todor Wrote:  I don't remember that script, but would like to see if for a chuckle. Any pics?

Ta-dah !!

[Image: ISHXKXCAVHKNOHS.20130327220333.JPG]

seen from the end:

[Image: umkc-basketball-court-4.jpg]

I like this more recent court with the blue skyline (but I guess it is still in crates at the Muni). Maybe they can cut the current court out of Swinney and lay this in its place? Also gives you an idea how empty the Muni was.

[Image: 030518_ge_UMKCbkb.JPG]
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2019 12:48 AM by MidWestMidMajor.)
02-13-2019 12:47 AM
MidWestMidMajor Offline
Special Teams

Let me try a more current Swinney court (this is Summit era, but the look of the court is basically the same).

[Image: JRIIXUCPDBDNBCK.20170313170811.jpg]

Here are the graphics they put up recently to hide the walkway on the 2nd floor. Swap that 1960's scoreboard with a new Daktronics video board, and you're moving in the right direction.

[Image: image.jpg]
02-13-2019 01:03 AM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
Municipal Auditorium isn't going anywhere. They can move back if they ever need to. Sprint Center is always there and looking for tenants. If UMKC gets back to that level and can't build their own thing, they have options
02-13-2019 05:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Todor Offline
Heisman

(02-13-2019 12:47 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(02-12-2019 11:51 PM)Todor Wrote:  I don't remember that script, but would like to see if for a chuckle. Any pics?

Ta-dah !!

seen from the end:

I like this more recent court with the blue skyline (but I guess it is still in crates at the Muni). Maybe they can cut the current court out of Swinney and lay this in its place? Also gives you an idea how empty the Muni was.

That font is certainly different. I don't remember that court though. I have attended umkc games with that type of crowd. It was sad. Back when Centenary was in the conference with UMKC I saw a late season game that looked like that. Not sure if was called the Summit yet-- I think it was still the Mid Continent. Andrew Wisnewski was a hot shooting guard from Centenary that could really score.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2019 05:52 AM by Todor.)
02-13-2019 05:50 AM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
(02-13-2019 05:50 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(02-13-2019 12:47 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  

Ta-dah !!

seen from the end:

That font is certainly different. I don't remember that court though. I have attended umkc games with that type of crowd. It was sad. Back when Centenary was in the conference with UMKC I saw a late season game that looked like that. Not sure if was called the Summit yet-- I think it was still the Mid Continent. Andrew Wisnewski was a hot shooting guard from Centenary that could really score.

Mid Continent Conference. Chicago State also was there. Spread from Connecticut to Louisiana. Much like the WAC, they were about to fall apart so they raided the Great West and added D2 move ups, all while keeping one historic member through the whole thing (Western Illinois). Changed names too.
02-13-2019 06:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

They aren't the leather necks for no reason. The Mid Con was fun. Northeastern Illinois gave it a whirl for a while before dropping all sports. Chicago State was the mentor and role model. Both are urban, founded as teachers colleges, poorly funded.
02-13-2019 06:12 AM
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMKC
Mid Con was where it was at. Then Dakota schools took over. Attendance is a problem in all sports for most schools big and small. There is just no parity or huge surprises.
02-14-2019 09:17 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(02-14-2019 09:17 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  Mid Con was where it was at. Then Dakota schools took over. Attendance is a problem in all sports for most schools big and small. There is just no parity or huge surprises.

Yes, I loved the Mid-Con.

Oakland
Valparaiso
IUPUI
Chicago State
Western Illinois
UMKC
Oral Roberts
Centenary
Southern Utah

Minus SUU, it was the perfect small-time midwestern league. Even the Centenary Gentlemen and their Gold Dome added mystique to the conference. Oral Roberts ran through the league like gangsters back then.

Then the Dakota schools took over. 03-weeping
02-14-2019 11:23 PM
RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
2nd image of the Muni looks like the NAIA championships, not at a UMKC game. See the banner hanging.
02-15-2019 11:07 AM
MidWestMidMajor Offline
Special Teams

The NAIA plays their d1 tournament every year at the Muni. Yeah, that's probably what this is a picture of. I think I see NAIA logos
on the floor as well. I used that picture from google just to illustrate the comic sans serif script along the ends of UMKC's court.
(What were they thinking? That just screams "we're small time").
02-15-2019 09:26 PM
Advertisement

Todor Offline
Heisman

I wondered if that floor actually "belonged" to UMKC when it said Kansas City Missouri. It's probably for the NAIA, but might have been used by UMKC when it was already out.

Fwiw, naia is combining divisions one and 2 and having just one big tourney now. Maybe UMKC could sit in on some of the later games and pick up some pointers. A lot of those teams are loaded with D1 guys. Like Georgetown Ky sometimes.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019 11:56 AM by Todor.)
02-16-2019 11:55 AM
MidWestMidMajor Offline
Special Teams

(02-16-2019 11:55 AM)Todor Wrote:  Fwiw, naia is combining divisions one and 2 and having just one big tourney now.

I had forgotten that. They must have come to a compromise on how many scholarships to grant.
When does that combined tournament begin, next year?

(I almost hate to ask...) Could this cause realignment in NAIA conferences? Here in the Midwest we ended up with a lot of schools shifting and conferences collapsing in the past several years. I can think of better conference footprints that would renew past rivalries. But I dread going through all that again.

PS. I answered my own questions:

KANSAS CITY, MO - The NAIA will move to a single division in both men's and women's basketball, effective for the 2020-21 academic year, with a maximum limit of eight scholarships for each. The decision was approved by the Council of Presidents on April 16 at the 2018 NAIA National Convention in Kansas City, Mo.
02-16-2019 02:21 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

From what I read, the scholarship difference was not that significant. The lower limit d2 tended to give nearly all of their limit while not all d1 did not necessarily because of either conference rules, schools funding, etc. The actual difference was not much. I think the main squabble was how to run the national tournament and apparently that was worked out to the satisfaction of enough constituents. Tourney is staying in the Municipal Auditorium in KC. Women's is somewhere in Iowa
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019 04:14 PM by Todor.)
02-16-2019 04:12 PM
CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Idaho
(02-12-2019 04:07 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  https://info.umkc.edu/unews/martin-lays-...athletics/

I wonder if they could add seating with portable bleachers on the track like LIU-Brooklyn . They have a similar set up 2500 seat for basketball at their rec center. Watched a game their on ESPN seemed like a cool atmosphere considering its a rec center.
03-08-2019 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.