Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State vs. University of Toledo
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State vs. University of Toledo
Big one tonight from the MAC Center. Toledo is 15-3 with a 3-2 conference record. It has been a strange, albeit successful, run for Coach Kowalcyzk's team this season. Toledo took a 10 game winning streak into MAC play before dropping 2 straight to Ball State and #14 Buffalo.

From what I have seen of Toledo (limited) they have a nice mix of athleticism and size. Five Rockets are averaging 10 points or more per game with another (6'6 Junior Willie Jackson) averaging 9.7 points and 10 rebounds. Jackson graduated from Garfield Heights high school and transferred to UT from Missouri. He could be a matchup problem for the Golden Flashes. Another Jackson from Garfield Heights, 6'0/175 sophomore Marreon Jackson averages 10 points a game and leads the team in assists with 85 against 42 turnovers.

In the post, Toledo has a couple of big bodies in 6'11/245 junior Luke Knapke (Marion Local HS) and 6'8/225 senior Nate Navigato.

The Flashes will need decent games from Williamson, Peterson and Dulling, assuming they play tonight.

Go Flashes!
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2019 09:15 AM by fallsdog.)
01-22-2019 08:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
RE: Kent State vs. University of Toledo
A little different view point may be rather than think that TU creates a mismatch for us with size, maybe they can not keep up with our 4 guard play and athleticism. We have seen that before. This may force TU to alter their line up rather than vice versa. Beating TU down the floor will be key.
01-22-2019 10:59 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

True indeed. Sometimes you must remember that I still see a perfect starting lineup including the likes of a Patrick Ewing/Chris Dudley at center, Karl Malone or Cherokee Parks playing the power forward and Royal Ivey walking the ball up the floor.
01-22-2019 01:59 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Agreed that beating them down the court will be key. They need to miss shots and we need to get defensive rebounds for that to happen though.
01-22-2019 04:52 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

Tonight's game should go a long way in telling us what kind of MAC record they will have. They already lost one home game and will be big home underdogs against Buffalo. Toledo is favored, but not by much. This is the kind of home game they MUST win if they are going to have a good MAC W-L record.
01-22-2019 06:06 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
Is there a new rule where we have to start every game like this? Jesus its frustrating.
01-22-2019 07:10 PM
Advertisement

thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Comeback!
01-22-2019 09:03 PM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

No Duling at all?
01-22-2019 09:04 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Wow. Nice win
01-22-2019 09:05 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

I wasn't able to go to the game or watch it on ESPN+ I turned the radio on when I had a few minutes and they were down 13 in the 2nd half. I assumed they lost. What a surprise I had when I checked the MAC scores to see they actually won! Important win.
01-22-2019 09:10 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Really impressive comeback. The defense was sensational in the last 5 minutes and OT especially. What more can be said about JW, but Roberts and AK Frederick were really important tonight.
01-22-2019 09:13 PM
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The last 8 to 10 minutes plus OT was the best they played all year. Until that time Toledo was waltzing to a victory. Walker was even better than usual but the defense won that game. Frederick is also playing better than he ever has to date. A few more wins like that and maybe we will be as good as our record indicates.
01-22-2019 09:53 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Enough bad cannot be said about our defense for the first 30 minutes. Enough good can not be said for it for the rest of the game. When this teams clicking it can be really good, when it's not it can be really bad.

Walker was incredible again. Also, I'd like to thank former OU head coach Tim O'Shea for contributing to this win tonight. If he hadn't decided to retire from Bryant last year Roberts wouldn't have been released from his LOI and we wouldn't have got him. Here's to you Tim! Thanks for the retirement present. We'll enjoy it for the next 4 years.
01-22-2019 10:25 PM
JimJoyce Offline
1st String

I Root For: KT ST
Wowww Timmy O’Shea. The gift that keeps on giving! Hell there might be an opening in Athens this spring, wonder if he still has the pea-green tie.

I’m with you burden. The last few minutes of regulation and OT was phenomenal.

And of course beating Coach Tod will NEVER get old.
01-22-2019 10:51 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

In other action, Buffalo lost to Northern Illinois. One more regular season loss by Buffalo and their chance of getting an at-large bid, should they lose in the MAC tournament, will be in serious jeopardy.
01-22-2019 11:41 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

01-22-2019 11:56 PM
Advertisement

Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

(01-22-2019 11:41 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  In other action, Buffalo lost to Northern Illinois. One more regular season loss by Buffalo and their chance of getting an at-large bid, should they lose in the MAC tournament, will be in serious jeopardy.

I saw the Buffalo @ Kent game as a good opportunity for us to knock off a top-25 team, but after their loss, I think the Bulls would be hard to beat.

I like this team - we have a good set of guards that can take over late in games. We've seen that a few times now.
01-23-2019 07:43 AM
fallsdog Offline
All American

(01-22-2019 06:06 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Tonight's game should go a long way in telling us what kind of MAC record they will have. They already lost one home game and will be big home underdogs against Buffalo. Toledo is favored, but not by much. This is the kind of home game they MUST win if they are going to have a good MAC W-L record.

I agree with this. And low and behold they stepped up and got it done. The box score is pretty good looking. +6 assist/turnover, 10 steals, holding their own on the glass and a big game from a post coming off the bench. Thats a nice recipe. Winning the first two on this homestand was big. Friday would be gravy. But all of a sudden it doesn't seem so out of reach.

I remember talking to a fellow flash fan about Buffalo. He said something like, "this ranking is all well and good until they lose to Northern Illinois or Miami." If the Flashes can make it two in a row that top 25 ranking may be "slip sliding away."
01-23-2019 08:30 AM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
This game was a instant MAC Center Classic. With 50 years of attending KSU games, there may have been a better game at some time, I just do not remember it. Toledo is a better team than I originally thought. BTW, the players' heart and toughness won this game, but do not forget our coaching. Rob prepared this game plan and coached in game the only way we could have beaten TU. Toledo shooting 60 percent to our 39 percent in the first half was not the way it was supposed to go, but our team is smaller, more athletic, and I believe, in better condition. TU was dragging in OT while we were pumped. Amazing that we did this with Whittington being a non factor. I love this team and our coach. And, what about Walker.
01-23-2019 12:37 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

GFlash68, 55 for me. There may have been bigger comebacks, but I can't think of any off hand and I'm too old and lazy to do some research. Keep in mind that prior to the 3-point line and the shot clock coming back that far with the time left probably couldn't happen. I THINK I recall Kent State coming back from 18 down against one of the Michigan schools on the road about 30 or so years ago. I'm thinking EMU. But, the Flashes were favored in that game, unlike last night. If my memory serves me well Tony Banks had a big game.
01-23-2019 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.