Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should the Independence Bowl become Top Tier G5 game?
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Exclamation Should the Independence Bowl become Top Tier G5 game?
Quote:Shreveport is a notorious sports “backwagon” town that only supports teams that win year after year. Lately, those teams are limited to LSU, Louisiana Tech, the New Orleans Saints (though I suspect that will wean a bit in the next few years), and the Dallas Cowboys. That’s about it.

The local population might go to an Independence Bowl which has an ACC vs. SEC matchup – if those two teams are good. Most people here – myself included – will not waste their time or money to see a couple of crappy teams right after Christmas just because they are in the ACC or the SEC.

Instead of trying to eat crumbs from the tables of the ACC and SEC, the I-Bowl should have focused on attracting the cream of the crop of the Group of 5 Conferences, especially Conference USA and the American Athletic Conference. The I-Bowl payout is very low for Power 5 Conferences, but would be great for Group of 5 Conference schools. If the I-Bowl reached a deal with the AAC, C-USA, and the Sun Belt, they could open a spot or two up each year to attract good regional teams that travel like Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, and Houston.

http://www.latechreport.com/2017/01/03/t...n-trouble/
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019 12:24 AM by Kittonhead.)
01-18-2019 12:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Should the Independence Bowl become Top Tier G5 game?
I think the question is Shreveport worth it?

This was designed to be a regional mid tier game easy to drive to.

Maybe the G5 could do better by elevating Boca Raton to a champs bowl.
01-18-2019 12:49 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
I wonder if they might do better as a G5 vs P5 bowl? That would likely give them a very high selection from a G5 (perhaps even a ranked champ) vs a P5.
01-18-2019 12:59 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
bowl games need locals to attend games particurlly G5 games
i juat went to indy bowl, river front was nice & had great time
Shrieveport is struggling city
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019 01:21 AM by templefootballfan.)
01-18-2019 01:07 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2019 12:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I wonder if they might do better as a G5 vs P5 bowl? That would likely give them a very high selection from a G5 (perhaps even a ranked champ) vs a P5.

Because it would be a dirt low pick from the P5 which won't qualify.

What about AAC #3 vs. at-large? Could be BYU, Army or a 10 win G4 opponent.
01-18-2019 01:20 AM
Attackcoog Online

(01-18-2019 01:20 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 12:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I wonder if they might do better as a G5 vs P5 bowl? That would likely give them a very high selection from a G5 (perhaps even a ranked champ) vs a P5.

Who knows? All I can say is the stated intent of the conference, which has been mentioned multiple times by Aresco, is to get as many bowls as possible with P5 opponents. So I would expect Aresco is pushing hard for full ties to the Military, St Pete, Birmingham, Ft Worth, and First Responders. I’d also guess they would try to grab a spot in the Indy vs the ACC or SEC if it’s possible. They might go for something like you suggested—but that would probably be more of a fall back position if Aresco largely strikes out with bowls with P5 opponents.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019 02:29 AM by Attackcoog.)
01-18-2019 02:28 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
AAC #6 vs C-USA works
01-18-2019 07:13 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2019 02:28 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 01:20 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  

Who knows? All I can say is the stated intent of the conference, which has been mentioned multiple times by Aresco, is to get as many bowls as possible with P5 opponents. So I would expect Aresco is pushing hard for full ties to the Military, St Pete, Birmingham, Ft Worth, and First Responders. I’d also guess they would try to grab a spot in the Indy vs the ACC or SEC if it’s possible. They might go for something like you suggested—but that would probably be more of a fall back position if Aresco largely strikes out with bowls with P5 opponents.

Then just make it a CUSA vs. G5 bowl game.

Cigar: #1 CUSA vs. #1 MAC
Indy: #2 CUSA vs. G5 bowl pool
01-18-2019 12:56 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Problem with the Independence bowl is its location. The best G5/G5 matchup would be the AAC champ or runner-up vs the MWC champ or runner-up. It's a lot of travel for 1/4 of the AAC and all of the MWC. Would UCF vs Fresno really be a good draw locally?

Or would this game (AAC/MWC) have to rotate from Shreveport to Las Vegas or San Diego?
01-18-2019 01:31 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I can't speak for what's best for the Independence Bowl but I do think that the MAC, C-USA, and SBC need to make agreements with 3 bowls to create matchups from a pool of the top 2 teams from each conference.

Create a match up between the two most attractive champs, give the 3rd champ the best runner up, and let the remaining second place finishers square off.

If the Independence wants to be part of then that then great. If not, pursue some of the newer bowls.
01-18-2019 02:34 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Indy would be in good shape if they were guaranteed a Sun Belt West (plus Troy), CUSA West, or AAC West.

Any mix of those division winners gives a good shot at a crowd. You start moving down past division winners and fan enthusiasm is lower.
01-18-2019 02:50 PM
Attackcoog Online

I just posted a left field idea on the AAC board. Basically have the AAC pay 2 million a year to the Indy Bowl to host the AAC champ or runner up vs a mid to high P5 selection. The money could come from the AAC CFP share, from the new TV deal, or even be negotiated as part of the deal if the AAC signs with ESPN. The extra 2 million would be added to the I-Bowls 1.3 million opponent team payout to allow the P5 opponent to receive 3.3 million. That would allow the I-Bowl to move up in the pecking order and receive a much better team. So instead of two bottom P5's---it would get a high G5 selection and a 8-10 win P5 selection.

In exchange--the participating AAC team would only get 1.3 million---but it would also get a percentage of any profit the Indy Bowl makes. Thus, as the bowl does better--the payout to the AAC team will rise. It's an idea that would seem to potentially help both parties. It solves the issue of the AAC's very difficult quest to land a bowl slot opposite a mid-to-high P5 selection. At the same time, it helps the I-Bowl by massively upgrading the game it has to sell.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019 03:05 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-18-2019 03:04 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2019 02:50 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Indy would be in good shape if they were guaranteed a Sun Belt West (plus Troy), CUSA West, or AAC West.

Any mix of those division winners gives a good shot at a crowd. You start moving down past division winners and fan enthusiasm is lower.

I like this idea. Go CUSA West vs. SBC West winner to Independence.

Makes for a sense of destination vs. the any year G5 bowl.

Another place to try this arrangement could be War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock. There is still room I believe for certifying a couple new games.
01-18-2019 03:50 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-18-2019 03:50 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 02:50 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Indy would be in good shape if they were guaranteed a Sun Belt West (plus Troy), CUSA West, or AAC West.

I like this idea. Go CUSA West vs. SBC West winner to Independence.

Makes for a sense of destination vs. the any year G5 bowl.

Another place to try this arrangement could be War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock. There is still room I believe for certifying a couple new games.

Just a guess, I could see the ACC try to swap this bowl for Birmingham since the SEC currently places a team before the Indy. I think Indy makes a better geographical fit for the AAC and Birmingham for the ACC. Guess will find out in the spring when the new bowl tie-ins are announced. Still with the lower seeds not sure it will make that much of a difference for either bowl.
01-18-2019 04:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.