Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I see CUSA still manages to screw up rivalry week for 2019
Bookmark and Share
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Exclamation I see CUSA still manages to screw up rivalry week for 2019
Yes, spare me the "but CUSA really doesn't have any rivalries" yapping. If we have competent CUSA administrators they could possibly change that.

Let's look at CUSA rivalry week matchups for 2019:

UNCC vs. ODU
FIU vs. Marshall
USM vs. FAU
UTSA vs LT
MTSU vs. WKU
UAB vs. UNT
Rice vs. UTEP

You've only got 2 decent matchups for rivalry week: UNCC/ODU and MTSU/WKU. Why the hell can't the conference pit any of these matches together:
FIU/FAU (no brainer)
LT/USM
UAB/LT
UAB/USM
LT/UNT
UTSA/UTEP
UTSA/Rice
UNT/Rice
..............USM vs. FAU? FIU vs. Marshall??? Who the hell is creating these schedules???

Not to mention these geniuses have USM playing two cross-over conference opponents to close out the season: vs. WKU and @ FAU. So incredibly stupid.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 09:53 AM by TTT.)
01-14-2019 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dorrej Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
RE: I see CUSA still manages to screw up rivalry week for 2019
(01-14-2019 09:51 AM)TTT Wrote:  Yes, spare me the "but CUSA really doesn't have any rivalries" yapping. If we have competent CUSA administrators they could possibly change that.

UNCC vs. ODU
FIU vs. Marshall
USM vs. FAU
UTSA vs LT
MTSU vs. WKU
UAB vs. UNT
Rice vs. UTEP

You've only got 2 decent matchups for rivalry week: UNCC/ODU and MTSU/WKU. Why the hell can't the conference pit any of these matches together:
FIU/FAU (no brainer)
LT/USM
UAB/LT
UAB/USM
LT/UNT
UTSA/UTEP
UTSA/Rice
UNT/Rice
..............USM vs. FAU? FIU vs. Marshall??? Who the hell is creating these schedules???

Not to mention these geniuses have USM playing two cross-over conference opponents to close out the season: vs. WKU and @ FAU. So incredibly stupid.

The truth is CUSA doesn’t have many rivalries.
WKU/MTSU definitely
USM/LT I think?
ODU/UNCC?
UTSA/UNT seem to have some bad blood
Other than that nothing.

Rivalries can’t be manufactured.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 10:34 AM by Dorrej.)
01-14-2019 10:33 AM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
C-USA's issues with rivalry week is that since we have an odd number of teams in each division we can't have obvious rivalry pairs without a cross-division rivalry. But, in order to ensure that game occurs each year there would need to be protected rivalry games, which means that at least two teams (if C-USA gave a special exception to these two teams) would need 12 years to complete the Home/Away sequence with all teams. This kinda stretches the idea of what a conference is even supposed to be.

If this is what was decided upon though, here is what I think the pairings would be:

East:
FIU-FAU
ODU-UNCC
WKU-MTSU

West:
UAB-LT
UNT-Rice
UTEP-UTSA

Cross-Divisional:
USM-Marshall

This isn't perfect though so I'm not sure if the conference would go through the trouble of doing it. And it doesn't even fix the "cross divisional game right at the end of the season" problem (in fact it guarantee's it for USM and Marshall every single year).
01-14-2019 10:48 AM
ImfromClayton Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
For the record, this is the first year I'm pleased with Rivalry week. I know we aren't traditional rivals with ODU, but I think it's the best option in the league for us.

What do y'all think ODU?
01-14-2019 11:03 AM
49ShadesOfGreen Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Charlotte
(01-14-2019 11:03 AM)ImfromClayton Wrote:  For the record, this is the first year I'm pleased with Rivalry week. I know we aren't traditional rivals with ODU, but I think it's the best option in the league for us.

What do y'all think ODU?

I agree Clayton, I do think it makes the most sense. ODU you guys suck. 03-nutkick

Is that how this is supposed to be done?
01-14-2019 12:02 PM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-14-2019 12:02 PM)49ShadesOfGreen Wrote:  Watertrash you guys suck. 03-nutkick

FTFY
01-14-2019 12:07 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
When is TTT going to understand.....

rivalry week is the week CUSA has two games on national TV so the most important thing for CUSA to do is hope you have the top 2 teams from the east and west playing on that day.....for a divisional championship

Marshall and FIU will be preseason top 2 in the east
UAB and UNT will be the preseason top 2 in the west

I guess TTT will get it about the same time he figures out CUSA doesn't have a contract with espn to air games on anything but streaming. So never?
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 12:21 PM by WKUYG.)
01-14-2019 12:20 PM
Greenroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
For what ever reason UTEP/UTSA is not much of a rivalry. . however UNT/UTSA is developing into a nice one.. Lots of crying from both sides when they lose..
01-14-2019 12:22 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(01-14-2019 12:20 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  When is TTT going to understand.....

rivalry week is the week CUSA has two games on national TV so the most important thing for CUSA to do is hope you have the top 2 teams from the east and west playing on that day.....for a divisional championship

I guess TTT will get it about the same time he figures out CUSA doesn't have a contract with espn to air games on anything but streaming. So never?

I completely understand you can't force a rivalry to exist if the fans simply don't care. HOWEVER, the conferences/schools can do some little things to bring excitement and attention to some of the games. Like create some "battle for the (insert ridiculous gimmick) trophy". And I'm dead serious about this. Each trophy could have something to do w/ the school/state history. It could make people from all over the country stop and be like "wow, that's pretty interesting/unique!" And then they might pay closer attention. It doesn't hurt one bit to do something like this. We need a little out-the-box marketing. For example:

USM vs. La Tech....Battle for the Silver Possum. Create a ridiculously large Silver Possum Trophy because we all know there's tons of Possums in both Ruston and Hattiesburg. It'd be fun and I'm sure the players would like it too seeing as most are usually from the South. And if you're from the South then you've probably got some type of fondness for possums lol.

UTSA vs. UTEP...Battle for the Orange Sombrero. Both schools have orange in their colors. Both schools have communities rich in Mexican culture/history. It's a no-brainer. If not Sombrero, you could use some type of tex-mex food or have a poncho. Battle of the Orange Poncho Sounds cool.

North Texas vs. Rice...Battle for the T-Bone Steak Trophy...because we all know Houston and Denton/Dallas are cities know for having good steakhouses. What better to show it then having a giant t-bone steak trophy.

UAB vs. MTSU...Battle for the Golden Guitar. Both Birmingham and Murfreesboro have lots of history w/ the blues and music in general. Another no-brainer if you ask me. The only thing would be that UAB/MTSU are crossover teams and this rivalry would be the only one that isn't played every year.

WKU vs. Marshall....Battle for the Rusted Railroad Spike. Bowling Green and Huntington both have a rich history in the railroad industry. Have some type of railroad trophy/hammer or some type of railroad spike or something.

ODU vs. Charlotte...Battle for the Golden Water Canteen. Both cities have a rich history in the Civil War. Pretty much every soldier had their own water canteen. This could be a unique homage to their history.

FIU vs. FAU...Battle for Shula's Whistle. Have some type of giant whistle trophy symbolizing Don Shula's whistle. Another no-brainer.

Yes, these seem a little ridiculous but the sheer ridiculousness of it could surely shine some type of light on the games/schools/conference. Just my two cents.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 12:55 PM by TTT.)
01-14-2019 12:54 PM
FAU Connoisseur Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: #cometothefaU
(01-14-2019 12:54 PM)TTT Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 12:20 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  When is TTT going to understand.....

I completely understand you can't force a rivalry to exist if the fans simply don't care. HOWEVER, the conferences/schools can do some little things to bring excitement and attention to some of the games. Like create some "battle for the (insert ridiculous gimmick) trophy". And I'm dead serious about this. Each trophy could have something to do w/ the school/state history. It could make people from all over the country stop and be like "wow, that's pretty interesting/unique!" And then they might pay closer attention. It doesn't hurt one bit to do something like this. We need a little out-the-box marketing. For example:

USM vs. La Tech....Battle for the Silver Possum. Create a ridiculously large Silver Possum Trophy because we all know there's tons of Possums in both Ruston and Hattiesburg. It'd be fun and I'm sure the players would like it too seeing as most are usually from the South. And if you're from the South then you've probably got some type of fondness for possums lol.

UTSA vs. UTEP...Battle for the Orange Sombrero. Both schools have orange in their colors. Both schools have communities rich in Mexican culture/history. It's a no-brainer. If not Sombrero, you could use some type of tex-mex food or have a poncho. Battle of the Orange Poncho Sounds cool.

North Texas vs. Rice...Battle for the T-Bone Steak Trophy...because we all know Houston and Denton/Dallas are cities know for having good steakhouses. What better to show it then having a giant t-bone steak trophy.

UAB vs. MTSU...Battle for the Golden Guitar. Both Birmingham and Murfreesboro have lots of history w/ the blues and music in general. Another no-brainer if you ask me. The only thing would be that UAB/MTSU are crossover teams and this rivalry would be the only one that isn't played every year.

WKU vs. Marshall....Battle for the Rusted Railroad Spike. Bowling Green and Huntington both have a rich history in the railroad industry. Have some type of railroad trophy/hammer or some type of railroad spike or something.

ODU vs. Charlotte...Battle for the Golden Water Canteen. Both cities have a rich history in the Civil War. Pretty much every soldier had their own water canteen. This could be a unique homage to their history.

FIU vs. FAU...Battle for Shula's Whistle. Have some type of giant whistle trophy symbolizing Don Shula's whistle. Another no-brainer.

Yes, these seem a little ridiculous but the sheer ridiculousness of it could surely shine some type of light on the games/schools/conference. Just my two cents.

FAU FIU already has a rivalry trophy called the Shula Award. The winner of the Shula Bowl (game nickname) wins the trophy. Each side has each teams helmet on it. The tradition is as the clock runs out the winning team runs to claim the trophy and rips the losing teams helmet off the trophy. The trophy resides at the winning school for a year and the losing team's helmet faces the wall in shame. FAU leads the series 12-5.

On a side note, I can guarantee you that FAU and FIU's administration wants nothing to do with rivalry weekend for this game. That weekend is an attendance killer for both schools for 2 attendance lacking schools

The week before Thanksgiving would be a great weekend for a permanent date. When both teams are good like two years ago it could create consideration for Game Day when other factors fall into place.

Biggest scheduling disappointment this year is a home game on Thanksgiving weekend. Guaranteed ghost town. Hey USM, Thanksgiving weekend in Boca is a great time of year for trip planning purposes!
01-14-2019 02:00 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
A copy-and-paste of my reply to the other rivalry week thread which already exists...

The whole "Rivalry Week" concept is misguided to begin with. As difficult as scheduling can be, it just ties the hands of those trying to juggle home/away/intra-divisional/inter-divisional/OOC matchups. And while some of you wanna see the same teams play each other at the same time every year, whether it's the last week of the season or some other week, I just think that would be boring. It's more dynamic from year to year when the week we play people changes.

And as we've said on multiple threads here, our current C-USA membership doesn't have enough true rivals yet to even give two ***** about whom we schedule on something called "Rivalry Week" anyway. This concept needs to just go away.
01-14-2019 03:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
A Charlotte/Old Dominion rivalry trophy has been discussed before:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-582685-post-81...pid8163091

Perhaps all college kids these days are too "meta" to get down with rivalries and violent type stuff but the SGA's of both schools need to make this happen.
01-14-2019 03:23 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(01-14-2019 10:33 AM)Dorrej Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 09:51 AM)TTT Wrote:  Yes, spare me the "but CUSA really doesn't have any rivalries" yapping. If we have competent CUSA administrators they could possibly change that.

UNCC vs. ODU
FIU vs. Marshall
USM vs. FAU
UTSA vs LT
MTSU vs. WKU
UAB vs. UNT
Rice vs. UTEP

FIU/FAU (no brainer)
LT/USM
UAB/LT
UAB/USM
LT/UNT
UTSA/UTEP
UTSA/Rice
UNT/Rice

WKU/MTSU definitely
USM/LT I think?
ODU/UNCC?
Other than that nothing.

No rivalries cant be manufactured. But scheduling games that opposing fans can actually travel to helps get things going. It sucks watching literally every other conference have games that matter to fans of each side except C-USA. I'm tired of the fans that make excuses for all of the terrible decisions that C-USA makes.
01-14-2019 03:25 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2019 03:25 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 10:33 AM)Dorrej Wrote:  

UNCC vs. ODU
FIU vs. Marshall
USM vs. FAU
UTSA vs LT
MTSU vs. WKU
UAB vs. UNT
Rice vs. UTEP

FIU/FAU (no brainer)
LT/USM
UAB/LT
UAB/USM
LT/UNT
UTSA/UTEP
UTSA/Rice
UNT/Rice

WKU/MTSU definitely
USM/LT I think?
ODU/UNCC?
Other than that nothing.

No rivalries cant be manufactured. But scheduling games that opposing fans can actually travel to helps get things going. It sucks watching literally every other conference have games that matter to fans of each side except C-USA. I'm tired of the fans that make excuses for all of the terrible decisions that C-USA makes.

Tell me a few games that fans actual travel to? The only schools in this conference that actually travel and I'm talking 400 miles to 1000 miles. Not just 2 to 4 hours away.....

Marshall and Western

I know there will be a few fans on this board that will disagree with what I'm about to say. They would be wrong....

rivalry week

A lot of S. Miss fans will be sitting home watching the Egg Bowl
A ton of UAB fans will be sitting home watching the Iron Bowl
A ton of the Texas schools fan will be sitting home watching Texas and Oklahoma
FIU and FAU fans will be watching Florida vs. Florida State
Middle fans will be watching UT play KY. If uk basketball is on that will hurt Western

Anyone one bitching about CUSA scheduling on rivalry week just loves to complain
2016 Nov 26th S. Miss vs Tech 26k lowest toal of the season for S. Miss
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 05:45 PM by WKUYG.)
01-14-2019 05:37 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Texas and Oklahoma don’t play on rivalry week.
01-14-2019 05:40 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2019 05:40 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  Texas and Oklahoma don’t play on rivalry week.

Who ever they are playing along with A&M and Tech....CUSA Texas fans are sitting home watching
01-14-2019 05:49 PM
Advertisement

MTPiKapp Offline
Socialist

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Oh look, this thread again.

Western is the one draw for us in conference, putting that game Thanksgiving weekend would be massively stupid.
01-14-2019 05:51 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
UNT vs La Tech
UTSA vs RICE
UAB vs USM

FIU vs FAU
ODU vs Charlotte
WKU vs MTSU

UTEP and Marshall could schedule an ooc rival that week. For us it would be NMSU. They would have no problem with a late season matchup. This year we play them Nov 23rd.
01-14-2019 06:15 PM
Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
Nobody cares about rivalry games in G5 conferences except the schools in the games

So why would you put these games head to head with all the nationally cared about rivalries when kids at our schools are gone for the holidays?

Would be really stupid
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 06:43 PM by Ragu.)
01-14-2019 06:42 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
I see CUSA still manages to screw up rivalry week for 2019
Besides being one of the longest continuously running annual games in CUSA, this whole basketball thing Saturday may amp up the UTEP/Rice rivalry.

Which might be a good entree to post Saturday’s WBB score:
Rice 76, UTEP 42.

We’ll get ya back in football next year. Hopefully we won’t have to bother with you and your shenanigans in MBB again this year if we make a decent pod.
01-14-2019 07:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.