Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How might Alston affect college basketball?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
How might Alston affect college basketball?
I've argued that the Alston ruling, should it favor the athletes, will lead to colleges pursuing new revenue streams.

If the kids are getting paid and there's no longer an amateurism guise. At that point, I don't see a reason for the collective college universe to refrain from seeking out any and all means of revenue generation.

The NCAA is mostly toast anyway at that point, but I'd like to see everyone's thoughts on how exactly this ruling might affect college basketball specifically because there's a heck of a lot of money on the table that could be acquired easily if the moneymakers pull out of the NCAA Tournament structure.

I tend to think the P5 will lead the way along with a handful of powerful basketball-only conferences. At that point, I could see a delineation similar to the FBS/FCS split. Both sub-divisions can have their own tournament.

I would suggest these leagues be included in the upper tier which would entail certain privileges with regard to administration and revenue:

Power 5 = ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, PAC 12, SEC

Group of 5 = AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt

Basketball Only = Big East, Atlantic 10, WCC, MVC

The advantages are many...

1. Cut out the NCAA middle man

2. Reduce the number of mouths to be fed so that the tournament maintains what makes it special without the gratuitous inclusion of every team that has made its way into D1.

3. Creates an opportunity to alter the basketball regular season to maximize the number of feature match-ups.

4. Gives the most powerful leagues another bargaining chip with networks.

After the cut has been made then we could get down to re-structuring the actual tournament.

- Cut the number of teams back down to 64.

-Give an auto-bid to each conference's regular season winner as well as their tournament winner.

-The rest of the bids should be determined by a committee, but games played against teams in the lower sub-division should be treated like FCS games. You can play them, but you can't play very many and have them count towards your resume.
01-14-2019 12:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: How might Alston affect college basketball?
Those are some excellent ideas for increasing basketball revenue.

One more that might be worth considering: shift the schedule just enough so that basketball season doesn't overlap with football season. Alabama is typical: the Tide played 7 games during the month of November, and the season ends on March 9th. What if the whole schedule was shifted forward one month - would that be so bad? And Tide basketball wouldn't be competing with football for a solid month...
01-14-2019 07:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(01-14-2019 07:27 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Those are some excellent ideas for increasing basketball revenue.

One more that might be worth considering: shift the schedule just enough so that basketball season doesn't overlap with football season. Alabama is typical: the Tide played 7 games during the month of November, and the season ends on March 9th. What if the whole schedule was shifted forward one month - would that be so bad? And Tide basketball wouldn't be competing with football for a solid month...

I think we should do that regardless.

Outside of may 1 or 2 non conference matchups, its a ghost town at SC games in November and December.
01-14-2019 09:36 AM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Those 14 conferences would have these numbers of members:

Power -
ACC: 14/15 (with Notre Dame, non-football)
B1G: 14
SEC: 14
PAC: 12
XII: 10

Group -
AAC: 12/14 (presuming Army joins Navy, football-only)
CUSA: 14
MWC: 12
MAC: 12
SBC: 10/12 (with UALR & UTA, non-football)

Non-Football -
BE: 10
A-10: 14
WCC: 10
MVC: 10

Total basketball programs: 173
A 64-school tournament would be 37% of the schools. That seems like a good percentage. Now, there are 354 basketball programs with 68 making the tournament which is 19%. It would essentially double the participant percentage.
01-14-2019 03:29 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(01-14-2019 03:29 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Those 14 conferences would have these numbers of members:

Power -
ACC: 14/15 (with Notre Dame, non-football)
B1G: 14
SEC: 14
PAC: 12
XII: 10

Group -
AAC: 12/14 (presuming Army joins Navy, football-only)
CUSA: 14
MWC: 12
MAC: 12
SBC: 10/12 (with UALR & UTA, non-football)

Non-Football -
BE: 10
A-10: 14
WCC: 10
MVC: 10

Total basketball programs: 173
A 64-school tournament would be 37% of the schools. That seems like a good percentage. Now, there are 354 basketball programs with 68 making the tournament which is 19%. It would essentially double the participant percentage.

I could be wrong here, but I think if you look outside those conferences then you're not going to find very many tourney wins.

Now obviously, not all those leagues are equal in quality or value, but they bring nice fan bases to the table. One of the main reasons the NCAA Tournament is popular is because every corner of the country is represented. My plan though should give more bids to the lower tier leagues and create a similar degree of interest across the country.

That and including several conferences maintains the spirit of the tournament which is everyone wants to see an underdog have a nice run right up until a traditional power wins it all. That's pretty much what people tune in for.
01-16-2019 12:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.