Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dan Hoard Calling the Xavier Butler Game
Bookmark and Share
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
Dan Hoard Calling the Xavier Butler Game
Just weird watching Dan doing a non-crosstown shootout Xavier game. Extra out of the norm I am rooting for Xavier to help our rankings.

01-13-2019 12:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Dan Hoard Calling the Xavier Butler Game
Gross... not sure how I feel about that haha.

01-13-2019 12:51 PM
Tymanh99 Offline

I Root For: .
Donators
(01-13-2019 12:19 PM)cincybb51 Wrote:  Just weird watching Dan doing a non-crosstown shootout Xavier game. Extra out of the norm I am rooting for Xavier to help our rankings.

never. **** eggz

01-13-2019 01:03 PM
UCBearcat4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
(01-13-2019 12:19 PM)cincybb51 Wrote:  Just weird watching Dan doing a non-crosstown shootout Xavier game. Extra out of the norm I am rooting for Xavier to help our rankings.

filling in for Andrew Calaton who's ill

01-13-2019 01:07 PM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC

A few zavier wins aren't going help us THAT much.

Go, fight, Lose zavier.

01-13-2019 01:10 PM
Billy_Bearcat Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(01-13-2019 01:10 PM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  

A few zavier wins aren't going help us THAT much.

Go, fight, Lose zavier.

Bingo

01-13-2019 03:26 PM
Advertisement

Dannyboy Offline
All American

I wouldn’t root for Xavier if I was paid $1000 every time they won.

01-13-2019 04:08 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-13-2019 04:08 PM)Dannyboy Wrote:  I wouldn’t root for Xavier if I was paid $1000 every time they won.

I'd probably root for Xavier for $100 a pop.

Now that we've established what I am, we are just negotiating the price.

01-13-2019 06:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Romell Shorter Offline
Banned

I'm sure Dan can use the extra money since he isn't doing the play-by-play for the Springfield Isotopes any more.

01-13-2019 06:12 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
Xavier has never bothered me. I have family and friends that went there, and no hard feelings. Them winning helps our RPI (especially since we are probably on the bubble), so I will be pulling for them.

01-13-2019 06:32 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Every time Xavier loses, I give a little chuckle and say, "That's a darn shame."

01-13-2019 06:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcat29 Offline

I like when X does well. I root against them in the shootout, but I tend to have the outlook a rising tide raises all boats. UC/XU rarely go after the same recruits, so upping the profiles I think helps everyone.

I will take the 1k a win01-wingedeagle

01-13-2019 07:53 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Gotta feed your family.

01-13-2019 11:19 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
No way. In other big rivalries, like Michigan/OSU, the success of one is not a detriment to the other. That is not the case with Cincinnati/Xavier. Since we share a market:
  • We will always be fighting for the casual fans' attention (which is most non-alumni).
  • We will always be fighting over the limited supply of local recruits (even if our current coach doesn't target locals much, previous coaches did and future coaches likely will).
  • We will always be fighting for the attention/partnerships of local businesses, who often don't want to support one school and risk alienating a portion of their customer base.
Coexisting with Xavier is not easy, and the more competitive they are, the harder all those tasks become. I'll quote Grantland's description of the Crosstown Shootout to explain just how I feel about Xavier:
Quote:When I say that these two schools hate each other, I mean they haaaaate each other. I don’t even think it’s an “I cheer against you, but I also respect you” hatred. It’s full-blown “kiss my ass” mixed with some “no, seriously — kiss my ass."

01-13-2019 11:48 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(01-13-2019 11:48 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  No way. In other big rivalries, like Michigan/OSU, the success of one is not a detriment to the other. That is not the case with Cincinnati/Xavier. Since we share a market:
  • We will always be fighting for the casual fans' attention (which is most non-alumni).
  • We will always be fighting over the limited supply of local recruits (even if our current coach doesn't target locals much, previous coaches did and future coaches likely will).
  • We will always be fighting for the attention/partnerships of local businesses, who often don't want to support one school and risk alienating a portion of their customer base.
Coexisting with Xavier is not easy, and the more competitive they are, the harder all those tasks become. I'll quote Grantland's description of the Crosstown Shootout to explain just how I feel about Xavier:
Quote:When I say that these two schools hate each other, I mean they haaaaate each other. I don’t even think it’s an “I cheer against you, but I also respect you” hatred. It’s full-blown “kiss my ass” mixed with some “no, seriously — kiss my ass."

Great post and I agree wholeheartedly. Count me among those you won't find cheering for brand X under any circumstances.

I always considered Louisville our best rival with X, at best, a distant second. And while we wanted wins against the Cardinals in basketball and football, when we were in the same conference, I felt when U of L won the Orange Bowl or a national championship in basketball it represented our conference well. I suspect some Michigan fans feel that way when OSU wins a title. Even though it's a love/hate relationship, sharing a conference achievement becomes a point of pride. I saw it on this board as people tallied bowl wins for the AAC last month.

Similarly, I was excited for UCONN advancing in past years. Even as an excellent, more recent rival, I was thrilled when they represented the American and cut down the nets against Kentucky for the Huskies fourth national championship.

01-14-2019 08:26 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
[quote='OKIcat' pid='15832699' dateline='1547472371']

[quote]

I find 1&2 to be mostly irrelevant. Xavier does not appeal to the casual fans; they appeal to their base. UC moves the needle locally. Heck in Lance's 1530 poll on favorite teams X comes in third locally behind UK. The Cincinnati area doesn't produce enough recruits for that to matter.

The third one I think does have some relevance. Our biggest battle is with the local media who mostly love to take shots at UC. I imagine X does pretty well with local sponsorships but looking around our building we do pretty well too.

All that said I can't root for X. But it's because I find their fans and the local media's fascination with them obnoxious.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 09:47 AM by RealDeal.)
01-14-2019 09:47 AM
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I casually rooted for Xavier as a kid with interest in all local teams. Then once I got to college age and realized how insufferable X fans are, I moved on to loathing them and rooting against them no matter the opponent. I wish for nothing but the worst (on the court, obviously) for that school in basketball. Would love for Travis Steele to end the streak of successful head coaching hires.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 12:12 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
01-14-2019 12:12 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Not sure why UC fans are always required to root for Eggs. Their fans are insufferable. Act as if they are Duke or UNC, without the pedigree. Eggs can lose every game for all I care.

01-14-2019 12:38 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

"Hate" is not the polar opposite of "Love"... Indifference is.

I do not "hate" Xavier. I could actually care less about them. Win, lose, or fall into the river and get washed away... Meh!

Outside of the Crosstown Shootout? 03-zzz

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 02:58 PM by BearcatJerry.)
01-14-2019 02:57 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(01-14-2019 02:57 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  "Hate" is not the polar opposite of "Love"... Indifference is.

I do not "hate" Xavier. I could actually care less about them. Win, lose, or fall into the river and get washed away... Meh!

I used to pull for them some as a local team that UC always played. Their fans became too obnoxious and always seemed far to preoccupied with UC. Really rubbed me the wrong way. Frankly, I hope they lose every game, but I don't pay that close attention to them either.

01-14-2019 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.