Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UC BASKETBALL
Bookmark and Share
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
UC BASKETBALL
I have a couple of questions, and they include both recruiting and the current team. In reading the recruiting forum posts, it looks like we are missing on a bunch of kids, and only signing kids out side the top 150? It has also been posted that recruiting has been down for a couple of years? How many top 100, or 150 kids do we currently have? Why is recruiting becoming an issue Thia late in Mick's tenure? Talent wise, where does the current team stack up with past teams?

01-07-2019 05:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!
RE: UC BASKETBALL
Recruiting was only MC's forte when he recruited for more successful coaches than himself.

01-07-2019 06:11 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Three major issues I see from the outside on the recruiting front. Conference affiliation, shoe company affiliation, and playing time. We fixed the facilities issue but it might take a few years to reap benefits.

Talent level on this is lower than the last two years but right in line with the post 2012 teams. Experience matters and this group is in year one of a two year process unless Jarron leaves early. Basically solidifying the pg spot next year is huge.

01-07-2019 06:24 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
Always Average Conference

Takes cash to recruit. Planes, hotels, dinners, and handshakes.

01-07-2019 06:59 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(01-07-2019 06:59 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Always Average Conference

Takes cash to recruit. Planes, hotels, dinners, and handshakesookers.

You got the "h" right.

01-07-2019 07:32 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Memphis hasn't had an issue recruiting. Neither has UCONN. Huggins didn't have an issue recruiting in Great Midwest or CUSA.

It's not the conference. Its the coach. We weren't exactly bringing in McDonald's All American's in the Big East either. SK was a 3star that ended up being good. You can't bank on that. Mick has missed on a number of guys. Its almost like he doesn't even go after them now. He isn't a good recruiter and his boring, defense first style is a turn off to many of the big time players/scorers. It isn't the conference. Its the coach and his lame style. Being that as it may, that won't change as long as he is coach. Better just get used to mediocrity.

Mick Cronin...he ain't no Huggins.

01-07-2019 07:35 PM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

(01-07-2019 07:35 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Memphis hasn't had an issue recruiting. Neither has UCONN. Huggins didn't have an issue recruiting in Great Midwest or CUSA.

It's not the conference. Its the coach. We weren't exactly bringing in McDonald's All American's in the Big East either. SK was a 3star that ended up being good. You can't bank on that. Mick has missed on a number of guys. Its almost like he doesn't even go after them now. He isn't a good recruiter and his boring, defense first style is a turn off to many of the big time players/scorers. It isn't the conference. Its the coach and his lame style. Being that as it may, that won't change as long as he is coach. Better just get used to mediocrity.

Mick Cronin...he ain't no Huggins.

You know the landscape has changed from 20 years ago. The power conference divide is real. Memphis has always been a hotbed for local players. They still haven’t won a thing since joining this league.

01-07-2019 07:41 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat

The top recruit in the country is committed to play in this conference.

01-07-2019 07:47 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(01-07-2019 05:34 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  I have a couple of questions, and they include both recruiting and the current team. In reading the recruiting forum posts, it looks like we are missing on a bunch of kids, and only signing kids out side the top 150? It has also been posted that recruiting has been down for a couple of years? How many top 100, or 150 kids do we currently have? Why is recruiting becoming an issue Thia late in Mick's tenure? Talent wise, where does the current team stack up with past teams?

I think mick is a good recruiter who has an eye for finding guys who can contribute at a high level and finding some gems who can be stars. If he could combine that with a blue chip guy every couple of years uc would go from top 25 program to top 10 program. That's a difficult step

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2019 07:55 PM by bearcatmark.)
01-07-2019 07:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmark Online

(01-07-2019 06:24 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Three major issues I see from the outside on the recruiting front. Conference affiliation, shoe company affiliation, and playing time. We fixed the facilities issue but it might take a few years to reap benefits.

Talent level on this is lower than the last two years but right in line with the post 2012 teams. Experience matters and this group is in year one of a two year process unless Jarron leaves early. Basically solidifying the pg spot next year is huge.

The bolded is nonsense but seems to be your personal mission to trash under armour.

01-07-2019 08:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

Honest question. Do people think Mick would recruit better at a school in a better conference? Not a blue blood, but an Illinois or NC State type school.

01-07-2019 08:02 PM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

(01-07-2019 07:47 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  

The top recruit in the country is committed to play in this conference.

Memphis has always been different. The local kids stay home. City is typically loaded with talent. You just don’t have that with Cincinnati, talent level is just ok and only a few want to play for UC or Xavier. Mick used to get the majority of his studs from the northeast, that has become more difficult since the conference fell apart.

I also blame the move to Under Armour as a huge loser for UC. The brand isn’t cool with young athletes. I also believe Nike and Adidas have stronger connections to the top players.

I want UC to land it’s fair share of top 100 players but there is a lot working against UC. I also believe that you can developer players to be all league guys that are not on the top of every recruiting list.

This UC team has talent. Biggest issue is actually the two guys that transferred here are not ready for prime time. Broome continues to be a mess against better and more physical teams while Fredricks is still adjusting to the competition level. Every one else to be developing at the proper rate.

01-07-2019 08:04 PM
bearcatmark Online

(01-07-2019 08:02 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Honest question. Do people think Mick would recruit better at a school in a better conference? Not a blue blood, but an Illinois or NC State type school.

No

01-07-2019 08:13 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

(01-07-2019 08:01 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(01-07-2019 06:24 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Three major issues I see from the outside on the recruiting front. Conference affiliation, shoe company affiliation, and playing time. We fixed the facilities issue but it might take a few years to reap benefits.

The bolded is nonsense but seems to be your personal mission to trash under armour.

No it’s not. There are numbers out there show that Nike and to a lesser extint Adidas are linked to the top 50 players on the AAU circuit. Most pick a college affiliated with thier AAU affiliation. Under Armour in 2017 had I think six on their AAU teams. The top players pick power 5 plus Big East over everyone else but they also pick Nike then Adidas over Under Armour.

01-07-2019 08:13 PM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(01-07-2019 08:13 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  

No it’s not. There are numbers out there show that Nike and to a lesser extint Adidas are linked to the top 50 players on the AAU circuit. Most pick a college affiliated with thier AAU affiliation. Under Armour in 2017 had I think six on their AAU teams. The top players pick power 5 plus Big East over everyone else but they also pick Nike then Adidas over Under Armour.
I believe UCLA is Under Armour and don't they have several McDonald's types on their roster?

01-07-2019 08:38 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(01-07-2019 08:02 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Honest question. Do people think Mick would recruit better at a school in a better conference? Not a blue blood, but an Illinois or NC State type school.

no, because he isn't a great recruiter and the top players or any player that wants to score a lot isn't going to play in his system

01-07-2019 08:44 PM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

(01-07-2019 08:38 PM)chatcat Wrote:  

I believe UCLA is Under Armour and don't they have several McDonald's types on their roster?

Made the switch this year which should help UA’s numbers going forward. It’s a combination of things but the best recruits are going to power conference schools, secondary to that Nike gets preference over Adidas which gets preference over UA. UC unfortunately is not in a power conference nor with the perefered apperal company. It makes recruiting harder but not impossible. In the current cycle playing time is a huge factor. There are not a lot of minutes to go around next year.

01-07-2019 09:21 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(01-07-2019 09:21 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  

Made the switch this year which should help UA’s numbers going forward. It’s a combination of things but the best recruits are going to power conference schools, secondary to that Nike gets preference over Adidas which gets preference over UA. UC unfortunately is not in a power conference nor with the perefered apperal company. It makes recruiting harder but not impossible. In the current cycle playing time is a huge factor. There are not a lot of minutes to go around next year.

Why are there not a lot of minutes? If you recruit someone better than the player currently in that position, then they should play. How has recruiting gotten worse after 8 straight tourney appearances?

01-07-2019 10:36 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-07-2019 09:21 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  

Has nothing to do with conf or apparel company. Kids want to play in a dynamic offense. Not some dull grind it out game. Our conference mates have no problem recruiting in the American.

01-07-2019 11:31 PM
digibrink Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Under Armor is a huge issue for recruiting. I like what they do for jerseys etc but it really hurts basketball (at least until all the fallout with cheating is fixed).

01-08-2019 01:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.