Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFP title game tickets are plummeting - Dan Wetzel
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
CFP title game tickets are plummeting - Dan Wetzel
Interesting article from Yahoo Sports...

Quote:Ticket prices on the secondary market for Monday’s college football national title game are cratering – get-in prices hit $150 Tuesday on StubHub and experts say it should continue to drop. By comparison, last year’s get-in price peaked at about $1,700.

“Prices are trending lower than we have ever seen before,” SeatGeek.com’s Chris Leyden told Yahoo Sports. “Demand is down.”

And that’s just part of it. The semifinal games weren’t competitive and delivered comparatively low television ratings.

Quote:There is no denying the quality of the teams – but the Bay Area is no one’s idea of a college football hotbed so who knows how many locals even care?

A Monday, 5 p.m. PT kickoff doesn’t help area football fans. And there is little-to-no pent-up demand. Just reaching the title game doesn’t feel like a once-in-a-lifetime event; it’s more like an annual game at this point. Clearly a lot of ‘Bama and Clemson backers are content to stay home. Next year’s title game is in New Orleans.

Simply put, this is about the worst possible scenario. It exposes a truism about college football – it lacks the true national following of the NFL. College football could give up on trying to grow interest and just make sure the title game is played in the South, or at most the Midwest, as a nod to the most likely participants.

Santa Clara hasn't even proven to be a good location for the PAC 12 title game. I honestly think it was a poor decision to select this site.
01-02-2019 11:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: CFP title game tickets are plummeting - Dan Wetzel
(01-02-2019 11:41 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Interesting article from Yahoo Sports...

Quote:Ticket prices on the secondary market for Monday’s college football national title game are cratering – get-in prices hit $150 Tuesday on StubHub and experts say it should continue to drop. By comparison, last year’s get-in price peaked at about $1,700.

“Prices are trending lower than we have ever seen before,” SeatGeek.com’s Chris Leyden told Yahoo Sports. “Demand is down.”

And that’s just part of it. The semifinal games weren’t competitive and delivered comparatively low television ratings.

Quote:There is no denying the quality of the teams – but the Bay Area is no one’s idea of a college football hotbed so who knows how many locals even care?

A Monday, 5 p.m. PT kickoff doesn’t help area football fans. And there is little-to-no pent-up demand. Just reaching the title game doesn’t feel like a once-in-a-lifetime event; it’s more like an annual game at this point. Clearly a lot of ‘Bama and Clemson backers are content to stay home. Next year’s title game is in New Orleans.

Simply put, this is about the worst possible scenario. It exposes a truism about college football – it lacks the true national following of the NFL. College football could give up on trying to grow interest and just make sure the title game is played in the South, or at most the Midwest, as a nod to the most likely participants.

Santa Clara hasn't even proven to be a good location for the PAC 12 title game. I honestly think it was a poor decision to select this site.

Corporate Network Arrogance/Stupidity at its worst! It is why I no longer see the PAC as being a factor in realignment at all.
01-02-2019 11:53 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
The playoff was never needed. ESPN and the conferences saw it as a money grab. Expanding the playoff isn't going to fix the issue. Which was the illusion of progress. Now only one team gets to have a successful season. The BCS allowed for multiple teams to feel like they were a success. Greed will kill this sport.
01-03-2019 12:35 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
The same result would occur if the same two teams played in the Superbowl almost every year. I think maybe the country has just been overdosed on Alabama and Clemson. It's not their fault. They were the best this year. There can be just one champion. Just because a team does not win the big one it doesn't make them a failure. If the BCS still existed, the same two teams would be playing for the CFB championship.
01-03-2019 02:40 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(01-03-2019 12:35 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  The playoff was never needed. ESPN and the conferences saw it as a money grab. Expanding the playoff isn't going to fix the issue. Which was the illusion of progress. Now only one team gets to have a successful season. The BCS allowed for multiple teams to feel like they were a success. Greed will kill this sport.

This post is ridiculous. A team can do well in playoffs and have a successful season, it doesn't have to win it all even if that is the goal.
Don't make a ridiculous statement to try and justify b.s. bowl games. Participation trophy's from post-season exhibition games are the biggest joke in sports. Half-empty stadiums versus filled home venues? Post season exhibition game where a win or loss dictates nothing versus the chance to move on and advance in the playoffs? There is no contest which is better. Don't give me the number of games b.s., FCS manages to do it and why would they want to put the student at risk? They have little financial reward to reap.
No other sport tries to pull this crap of network generated WWE type matchups and instead has a real playoff. Don't try and tell us CFB is special, it takes an otherwise great sport and ruins it with a crappy finish! Which in turn essentially makes the season worthless.
01-03-2019 03:10 PM
Advertisement

Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(01-02-2019 11:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 11:41 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Interesting article from Yahoo Sports...

Corporate Network Arrogance/Stupidity at its worst! It is why I no longer see the PAC as being a factor in realignment at all.

I do think this illustrates the weakness of the PAC in some ways but I wonder if they had chosen San Diego if the results wouldn't have been a lot better? The idea of putting the playoffs in such an expensive area is really a bad idea. I'm sure it would help if USC, UCLA, Oregon or Washington were involved as well, but I don't know to what extent. Maybe Vegas or Phoenix in the future would be a good western spot as well.
01-03-2019 03:15 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Chuck Oliver talked today about how the national title game should be played exclusively in locations Dallas eastward. The odds of a Pac 12 school getting to the title game on any kind of consistent basis are rather low and statistically those fanbases are much smaller and won't travel anyway.

Personally, I think it makes a great deal of sense. Keep it to Dallas, Houston, KC, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, and maybe Nashville or Indianapolis and turnout will be much, much better.
01-03-2019 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Also, Sorry JR, but I think Monday's game is going to another in a long line of steps that we look back on in ten years to explain why we changed the current paradigm. Ratings, attendance, and interest are going to be quite terrible I think and I think it's going to be a topic of discussion all offseason.

The Bowls (including the NY6 games) are dying all around us and eventually that rot is going to spread to all of college football as fan interest begins dwindling. Most programs just don't have a chance under the current system and other than perhaps a handful of schools with new coaches (Florida, Texas) you're seeing a lot of malaise and disinterest among even traditional powers.
01-03-2019 04:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-03-2019 04:47 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Also, Sorry JR, but I think Monday's game is going to another in a long line of steps that we look back on in ten years to explain why we changed the current paradigm. Ratings, attendance, and interest are going to be quite terrible I think and I think it's going to be a topic of discussion all offseason.

The Bowls (including the NY6 games) are dying all around us and eventually that rot is going to spread to all of college football as fan interest begins dwindling. Most programs just don't have a chance under the current system and other than perhaps a handful of schools with new coaches (Florida, Texas) you're seeing a lot of malaise and disinterest among even traditional powers.

Gamecock, I don't know what you think you are arguing against here. I just said it was an absolute network blunder and it is. Two East Coast teams flying to San Fran for the finals is just plain stupid.

I don't disagree about the bowls. The real lag on attendance however is just how much cheaper and time efficient, and amenities friendly it is to watch on TV. Why should anyone shell out $2500 a year for a pair of tickets (including athletic fund contribution to be able to buy them) to sit in rain, par boiling heat and humidity, in s scrawny metal seat where you are extorted to rent a $5 cushion because you can't bring your own, only to sit next to some damned obnoxious drunk, just for the sake of saying I was there when you are much closer to the action on your HD TV.

That is the dwindling interest. The ratings numbers are still pretty good. Young people just can't afford 4 tickets so their whole family can go. It's more costly than a trip to Disneyland.

The bowls I see a natural remedy for. Let every season begin with home and homes between the P5 and let the top 16 schools open in neutral sites against each other. Those host sites don't have to be former bowl sites, but may be in some cases like Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

Then you play 8 conference games, and 3 games against G5 schools, but at home only. That way the season is still 12 weeks long, and everything is over by the first week of December.

From there you can either have reduced the number of P conferences to 4 and have a champs only semi final to finals. Or you can expand to 8 because you have the time to do so. First round comes the second Saturday of December, the semis are played between Dec 30th and Jan 1st and the Finals follow at a site equal distance roughly between the finalists a week later.

The bowls have been dead for some time. And the G5 needs their own playoff.
01-03-2019 05:01 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(01-03-2019 03:10 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  
(01-03-2019 12:35 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  The playoff was never needed. ESPN and the conferences saw it as a money grab. Expanding the playoff isn't going to fix the issue. Which was the illusion of progress. Now only one team gets to have a successful season. The BCS allowed for multiple teams to feel like they were a success. Greed will kill this sport.

This post is ridiculous. A team can do well in playoffs and have a successful season, it doesn't have to win it all even if that is the goal.
Don't make a ridiculous statement to try and justify b.s. bowl games. Participation trophy's from post-season exhibition games are the biggest joke in sports. Half-empty stadiums versus filled home venues? Post season exhibition game where a win or loss dictates nothing versus the chance to move on and advance in the playoffs? There is no contest which is better. Don't give me the number of games b.s., FCS manages to do it and why would they want to put the student at risk? They have little financial reward to reap.
No other sport tries to pull this crap of network generated WWE type matchups and instead has a real playoff. Don't try and tell us CFB is special, it takes an otherwise great sport and ruins it with a crappy finish! Which in turn essentially makes the season worthless.

FBS college football is special because of the pageantry. It's special because for most of its history it has allowed for its season to be subjective. This sport was never about one team winning. It was about my team winning and the illusion of progress. Now if your not in the playoff. The season is deemed a failure. and for some, it never mattered. Because they would never be invited anyway. At least with the BCS. when a team like Boise State rose up to play Oklahoma. It meant something. Because they were a part of the process. Now when it happens it feels like a letdown. Because they know that no matter what they do. They will always be left out.
01-04-2019 01:08 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
It's super expensive to fly to San Francisco in the first place. Everything else out there is pretty darn expensive too. There's that and the stadium in Santa Clara isn't even very close to the parts of town tourists would want to see. You've also got the problem that there's basically very few people locally that care about college football.

The locale sucks and I argue at least half the problem here is the specific site rather than the fact it's far from both finalists. If this game were in the Rose Bowl or maybe Phoenix then it wouldn't be that bad. Recent history has proven those venues will still draw even when neither school is particularly close.

One aspect, albeit a smaller part, of the problem is that this will be the 4th consecutive meeting in the playoffs. That sort of match-up reduces interest, but I argue the biggest issue is the fact that fans are being dragged all over the country to watch their team...

There's no good reason to play the semis at neutral sites. That's already plenty of travel and for good money too. Now they're being asked to do it again on a week's notice. That's the most asinine aspect of the whole deal.

1. A lot of the top schools are playing neutral site games early in the year...that means travel expenses that are unusually high compared to a home game.

2. Then you've got the conference championship games. Not as big a problem for the SEC because the game is centrally located, but still additional costs in tickets and travel.

3. Then you have to travel to a bowl site...two bowl sites if your team is in the final.

It's all a little bit ridiculous.

Was listening to a radio show today where they quoted Bill Hancock as saying they chose Santa Clara as the site for branding purposes. They're trying to take the game to new populations. Well, that's fine under certain circumstances, but the fans are being gouged. That's the biggest problem.
01-04-2019 01:12 AM
Guardian Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Alabama, SBC
Terrible site selection. That is all.

Until a Pac-12 team can make the final, they really need to ensure no games are played west of Dallas. Unnecessary travel for all parties.
01-04-2019 04:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.