Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USA Today article proposing football scholarship reduction
Bookmark and Share
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
USA Today article proposing football scholarship reduction
Makes sense but no way the P5s would go for it as it would cut into their surplus:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co...360842002/

main points:
- No more than 70 scholarship players on a roster (currently 85)
- No more than 20 players signed in each recruiting class (currently 25)
- Get rid of the redshirt rule and give players five years of eligibility to accommodate for injuries or attrition during the season.
- Convert five of the lost 15 player scholarships to coaching scholarships. In other words, each year, teams should be able to give a scholarship to someone who is interested in pursuing the coaching profession as a career. These students would do much of the work that currently goes to analysts and interns like breaking down film or recruiting databases or self-scouting.
- Take the other 10 scholarships and redistribute to other sports so that schools aren’t decreasing the total number of educational opportunities they offer. Surely sports like baseball (which gets 11.7 scholarships) or soccer (9) could use the help.
12-19-2018 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: USA Today article proposing football scholarship reduction
I actually really like all of those ideas, particularly the ine for coaching scholarships.
12-19-2018 10:20 AM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
(12-19-2018 09:59 AM)usm99 Wrote:  Makes sense but no way the P5s would go for it as it would cut into their surplus:

Agreed that these are good ideas and will never happen since this would help equalize the have's from the have not's.
12-19-2018 12:22 PM
Advertisement

BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
All of these proposals make way too much sense. Consequently, they will never see the light of day. 07-coffee3
12-19-2018 12:25 PM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
That's a lot fewer kids getting a "free" education.

Which seems bad for the players.

Should be good for G5 schools.
12-19-2018 01:05 PM
Advertisement

stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(12-19-2018 01:05 PM)inutech Wrote:  That's a lot fewer kids getting a "free" education.

It would not be less kids getting a free education. It would mean that kids that play other sports would actually get some scholarship help. It would go a long way to increasing the number of baseball, tennis, wrestling and soccer teams. Why do colleges need more players on their rosters than NFL teams?
12-19-2018 01:36 PM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(12-19-2018 01:36 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  
(12-19-2018 01:05 PM)inutech Wrote:  That's a lot fewer kids getting a "free" education.

It would not be less kids getting a free education. It would mean that kids that play other sports would actually get some scholarship help. It would go a long way to increasing the number of baseball, tennis, wrestling and soccer teams. Why do colleges need more players on their rosters than NFL teams?

Because the NFL has practice squad and can always sign players via free agency off the street during the year when needed. The limited players on an NFL roster also leads to players playing when they probably should be nursing their injury.
12-19-2018 02:54 PM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I like these ideas. It would also help w Title 9 compliance.
12-19-2018 03:45 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

Better statement would be "why do colleges need more scholarship players on their rosters than NFL teams?" as teams have far more on the roster than the "up to 85" scholarship players. I realize times have changed but remember reading stories where teams can (and maybe still do) have closer to 125 players once you add the walkons to the roster. Looking at USM's roster and counted 109 on the 2018 roster.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 03:55 PM by usm99.)
12-19-2018 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(12-19-2018 12:25 PM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  All of these proposals make way too much sense. Consequently, they will never see the light of day. 07-coffee3

No worries. I hear they plan to pass all these ideas at the same time they pass the 16 team playoff with an automatic bid for all conferences. 05-stirthepot 04-cheers
12-19-2018 05:13 PM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Silly USA Today. Like the P5 would pass 900 players off to the G5.
12-19-2018 10:24 PM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

You think that would happen?
12-21-2018 02:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.