Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting article on JUCO players and the rise of the University of Buffalo
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Interesting article on JUCO players and the rise of the University of Buffalo
This is my point about coaches. This guy isn't making excuses, he's finding a way to have a high caliber program. He's doing exactly what I expect a coach to do. Not saying this is what we should do, it's just another example of a coach ADAPTING and OVERCOMING in order to WIN.

What's our strategy?

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/18/unive...e-players/

There are inarguable benefits to signing JUCO players over high schoolers, particularly for “mid-major” teams such as UB, which can’t compete with elite Division I programs for the top high school basketball talent in the country.

“What it comes down to is where are you going to get your players? Our job is to be successful and win and win the right way and winning the right way to me is graduating your players, filling up your building and winning championships. So where am I going to get my players? Junior college is a good avenue for people that understand how to recruit it.”

“Even the high school guys that we’re bringing in right now, you don’t get that caliber of player if you’re not winning already and have the program where it is, and we’ve done a lot of that winning with a pretty good mix, about half high school, half junior college guys. And without the junior college guys, there’s no way we are where we are right now.”
12-19-2018 05:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bricksnivy Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Interesting article on JUCO players and the rise of the University of Buffalo
I certainly enjoyed their win last night. 02-13-banana
12-19-2018 06:55 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

RE: Interesting article on JUCO players and the rise of the University of Buffalo
Nate Oates is AWESOME! He just gets it. And, it's not just the players...IT"S HIS COACHING. He was playing super D at the HS level when Hurley grabbed him. Massenburg is a 4 year guy that was only looked at by 1 low D1 but he played super D and was a late steal.

His practices include games to 8 that have "non-negociables" in them like if you get out of defensive posture, you automatically lose the game regardless of score. It's things like that that promote good habits and create an environment for success. You definitely need the "Jimmy's and Joe's" but he also brings the X's and O'x!
12-19-2018 07:43 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-19-2018 06:55 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  I certainly enjoyed their win last night. 02-13-banana

04-jawdrop

I'd bet not as much as i enjoyed the whooping UM put on the Heels, and the subsequent Roy interview that followed was pure gold!

In all seriousness in regards to Cuse, they haven't been the same since Jimmy fake retired. He just needs to retire already!
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 09:25 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
12-19-2018 09:18 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(12-19-2018 07:43 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Nate Oates is AWESOME! He just gets it. And, it's not just the players...IT"S HIS COACHING. He was playing super D at the HS level when Hurley grabbed him. Massenburg is a 4 year guy that was only looked at by 1 low D1 but he played super D and was a late steal.

His practices include games to 8 that have "non-negociables" in them like if you get out of defensive posture, you automatically lose the game regardless of score. It's things like that that promote good habits and create an environment for success. You definitely need the "Jimmy's and Joe's" but he also brings the X's and O'x!

There may be multiple reasons, but listen to the words of the coach. HE is stating that the JUCO route is the reason they established success quickly, which in turn has allowed him to recruit better players out of high school.

I really don't care HOW a coach gets it done, but those who are winners find a way to win. Those who aren't winners, make excuses.
12-19-2018 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

At the mid-major level, I fully agree coaches need to do something different than the rest of the pack in order to stand out.

For Coach Brownell, it was taking the air out of the ball, stressing conditioning, and recruiting football players in basketball bodies to try to out-slug and out-work the competition.

For guys like Keatts, Shaka Smart and Wes Miller, it's all about a pressing, trapping defense and, for the most part, playing fast on offense and relying on the 3-ball (since its highly difficult to beat the "big boys" in the paint).

For Buffalo, clearly its trying to gain an edge via the JUCO route. It can be risky if your kids aren't able to handle the academics, but you certainly can find gems going that direction. And a lot of coaches prefer to avoid JUCO's entirely.

I'm just not going to rule out that Coach McGrath has a "light bulb" moment. Usually you have to make that kind of program "transformation" in the offseason, not midseason. He's our coach for this year, next year, and very possibly the one after that regardless. So that's all we can really hope for at the moment. And there are some opportunities for people to ask those very questions too.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 12:11 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-19-2018 12:06 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(12-19-2018 12:06 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  At the mid-major level, I fully agree coaches need to do something different than the rest of the pack in order to stand out.

For Coach Brownell, it was taking the air out of the ball, stressing conditioning, and recruiting football players in basketball bodies to try to out-slug and out-work the competition.

For guys like Keatts, Shaka Smart and Wes Miller, it's all about a pressing, trapping defense and, for the most part, playing fast on offense and relying on the 3-ball (since its highly difficult to beat the "big boys" in the paint).

For Buffalo, clearly its trying to gain an edge via the JUCO route. It can be risky if your kids aren't able to handle the academics, but you certainly can find gems going that direction. And a lot of coaches prefer to avoid JUCO's entirely.

I'm just not going to rule out that Coach McGrath has a "light bulb" moment. Usually you have to make that kind of program "transformation" in the offseason, not midseason. He's our coach for this year, next year, and very possibly the one after that regardless. So that's all we can really hope for at the moment. And there are some opportunities for people to ask those very questions too.

I truly hope this happens for one selfish reason. The ONE thing I really liked about McGrath was that he stated this was his "dream job", and a place he would want to stay and raise his children. I believed him when he said it. So, IF he somehow manages to get that we need to do something off the beaten bath to win as a mid major, and IF he finds that "thing", whatever it is, he would likely stay and build our program.

I haven't seen that willingness to make substanial changes yet, but maybe a full season past the "look at the mess I was handed" mentality has passed, he'll surprise me next year. Mostly because next year is the year he will be expected to produce, and if he doesn't, I doubt he'll get to year four.
12-19-2018 12:33 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(12-19-2018 12:33 PM)82hawk Wrote:  I truly hope this happens for one selfish reason. The ONE thing I really liked about McGrath was that he stated this was his "dream job", and a place he would want to stay and raise his children. I believed him when he said it.

Agreed. That was a major source of encouragement when McGrath arrived. Success wasn't going to mean he'd jump for the first "better" job that came his way. He was the antithesis of a Joe Dooley type, who has bounced around the college basketball landscape more than a hooker in Amsterdam.

This also means that, at the very least, he is committed to being successful here, and likely not going to accept failure. Benny Moss became dejected and miserable at the tail end of his tenure. Meanwhile, when Buzz Peterson arrived here, he was instantly shocked by the APR situation and thrown off completely when guys started transferring, particularly Adam Smith. Since he wasn't truly committed to UNCW as a job he planned to hold for the long-term, that likely impacted his ability to coach effectively at the latter end of his tenure.

It's far more likely that Coach McGrath directs his frustrations towards a positive direction and coming up with something that works rather than "mail it in" when times get difficult.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 02:18 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-19-2018 02:18 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-19-2018 02:18 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(12-19-2018 12:33 PM)82hawk Wrote:  I truly hope this happens for one selfish reason. The ONE thing I really liked about McGrath was that he stated this was his "dream job", and a place he would want to stay and raise his children. I believed him when he said it.

Agreed. That was a major source of encouragement when McGrath arrived. Success wasn't going to mean he'd jump for the first "better" job that came his way. He was the antithesis of a Joe Dooley type, who has bounced around the college basketball landscape more than a hooker in Amsterdam.

This also means that, at the very least, he is committed to being successful here, and likely not going to accept failure. Benny Moss became dejected and miserable at the tail end of his tenure. Meanwhile, when Buzz Peterson arrived here, he was instantly shocked by the APR situation and thrown off completely when guys started transferring, particularly Adam Smith. Since he wasn't truly committed to UNCW as a job he planned to hold for the long-term, that likely impacted his ability to coach effectively at the latter end of his tenure.

It's far more likely that Coach McGrath directs his frustrations towards a positive direction and coming up with something that works rather than "mail it in" when times get difficult.

Not entirely sure I agree on Buzz. I agree the APR thing was a hit, but he had a lot of the same issues CB is having. The "Carolina way" doesn't work when you don't have 5 star recruits at every roster spot.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 02:27 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
12-19-2018 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.