Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WAC basketball week 5
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
WAC basketball week 5
Chicago State's Rob Shaw was named WAC Player of the Week.

Tomorrow (or today), NMSU plays UNM in the PAC. And, Cal State Bakersfield plays DII UC Merced.
12-04-2018 02:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
RE: WAC basketball week 5
Well...I hope we don't let UCM...hang around.
Yes, sarcasm.....but..I'm still peaved about the South Dakota game. That's the kind of winable games we must take!
12-04-2018 03:02 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(12-04-2018 03:02 PM)RunnerBall Wrote:  Well...I hope we don't let UCM...hang around.
Yes, sarcasm.....but..I'm still peaved about the South Dakota game. That's the kind of winable games we must take!

Although Jarkel Joiner's numbers are up from his Freshman season, he seems to be in a Sophomore slump. I really expected more from him this season. Maybe as the season progresses, he will develop more scoring consistency.

Durham still puts up too many bad shots. He does hit some impressive "quick release" deep threes. But he misses so many shots in general, he put the offense at a disadvantage. He is not a very efficient player over the long haul.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018 04:16 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
12-04-2018 04:15 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
New Mexico State crushes New Mexico, 100-65. Very impressive win!
12-04-2018 11:25 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

Yeah, Coach Jans is exacting revenge for Aggies Fans against Weir... the Traitor. Jans is 4-0 against UNM. JoJo Zamora had 27 points and was 6-6 from three point range. And, Ivan "the Great" had 23 points and 11 rebounds.
12-05-2018 12:37 AM
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
[Image: DtqtJYkUwAI0Ugc.jpg:large]

New Mexico State is just loaded.
12-05-2018 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
Kansas center Udoka Azubuike out indefinitely after rolling ankle. Good news for NMSU.

also UNM gave up 198 points to NMSU in 2 games. Nicely done.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2018 12:02 PM by Lopes87.)
12-05-2018 11:59 AM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
Impressive win Aggies, crushing the traitor. That has to feel good. I don't see Weir lasting much past his contract expiration date.
12-05-2018 01:24 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(12-05-2018 01:24 PM)LopesUp Wrote:  Impressive win Aggies, crushing the traitor. That has to feel good. I don't see Weir lasting much past his contract expiration date.

If he can't beat NMSU, he probably won't be around long. However, I do see a method to Weir's madness with the type of defense (and offense) he is trying to instill. And, there is a path to winning that way. But he needs to know his opposition and make adjustments accordingly. NMSU is a team that shouldn't be pressed. Our Aggie are simply too quick and have very good ball handlers. However, Weir "system" is not unlike Loyola Marymount of the 1990's; trying to make it a 94-foot game and speed up the decision process of the opponent; quick decision usually lead to bad passes, bad shots, and turnovers.

As this season progresses, we will see if the Traitor's team can bounce back. A year ago Weir's style gave the rest of the MWC fits. Now that the other MWC coaches have had time to absorb Weir's style of play, will they make adjustments? Will Weir make adjustments in turn?

Menzies won a lots of games by simple out recruiting his conference peers and lining up five more talented players than the opposition; basically he said my starting five is better than yours, try to beat us. That will work until you meet a team of equal (or great) talent. Then it comes down to coaching. Right now, Weir has stocked his roster with high D1 talent. In some games that will be enough to get him the win. However, he will need to learn how to "coach" them; not only in pregame practice but game situations if he his going to be better than his mentor (Menzies). I think Weir is a better coach than Menzies. The question is how much better? Because right now, he is falling well short of "the Grinder" Chris Jans.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2018 02:40 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
12-05-2018 02:30 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(12-05-2018 02:30 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(12-05-2018 01:24 PM)LopesUp Wrote:  Impressive win Aggies, crushing the traitor. That has to feel good. I don't see Weir lasting much past his contract expiration date.

If he can't beat NMSU, he probably won't be around long. However, I do see a method to Weir's madness with the type of defense (and offense) he is trying to instill. And, there is a path to winning that way. But he needs to know his opposition and make adjustments accordingly. NMSU is a team that shouldn't be pressed. Our Aggie are simply too quick and have very good ball handlers. However, Weir "system" is not unlike Loyola Marymount of the 1990's; trying to make it a 94-foot game and speed up the decision process of the opponent; quick decision usually lead to bad passes, bad shots, and turnovers.

As this season progresses, we will see if the Traitor's team can bounce back. A year ago Weir's style gave the rest of the MWC fits. Now that the other MWC coaches have had time to absorb Weir's style of play, will they make adjustments? Will Weir make adjustments in turn?

Menzies won a lots of games by simple out recruiting his conference peers and lining up five more talented players than the opposition; basically he said my starting five is better than yours, try to beat us. That will work until you meet a team of equal (or great) talent. Then it comes down to coaching. Right now, Weir has stocked his roster with high D1 talent. In some games that will be enough to get him the win. However, he will need to learn how to "coach" them; not only in pregame practice but game situations if he his going to be better than his mentor (Menzies). I think Weir is a better coach than Menzies. The question is how much better? Because right now, he is falling well short of "the Grinder" Chris Jans.

Aggies are fun to watch, and I really love the cuts to Jans. I don't know if it is because he CLEARLY holds his players to the highest standards, or because he always looks like he is growling. Whatever he's doing, it is working and NMSU is rolling.
12-05-2018 05:01 PM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
(12-05-2018 11:59 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Kansas center Udoka Azubuike out indefinitely after rolling ankle. Good news for NMSU.

What does one have to do with the other?
Ahh nvm I see they play kansas next.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2018 06:30 PM by Vaqueronation.)
12-05-2018 06:28 PM
Advertisement

NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
UTRGV getting off to a good start against North Dakota. They look like an improved team this year and might make some trouble during conference play.
12-05-2018 08:22 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

UTRGV has normally had a good offense. But they are playing defense now. Hill might actually turn the Vaqueros into a competitive program.
12-05-2018 08:46 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
WAC will win the Slummit challenge. Winning 5 to 2 right now.
12-05-2018 10:39 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
(12-05-2018 10:39 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  WAC will win the Slummit challenge. Winning 5 to 2 right now.

Is there any trophy or something like that for winning?
12-05-2018 11:02 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
Winner gets a number 15 seed in the tournament!
12-05-2018 11:24 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

Cal Baptist is hanging with UC Irvine. Down only two with less than four minute to play. They are going to be tough to beat in their arena.
12-05-2018 11:46 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

Cal Baptist falls short by 3 to UC Irvine (66-69). But the Lancers are competitive for a 1st year D1 program.
12-06-2018 12:10 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(12-06-2018 12:10 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Cal Baptist falls short by 3 to UC Irvine (66-69). But the Lancers are competitive for a 1st year D1 program.

It was a great game. CBU could never get the lead in the 2nd half, but it was tied a number of times. They missed two three pointers in the last ten seconds that would have tied the game.

CBU competes, they play hard and they contest everything. They play good team defense. They help a lot on defense. UCI had better talent, although Milan Acquaah is very good. CBU will eventually get better.

The attendance was 2,833. I am not sure why the attendance was not better, but it is a cold, rainy night in Riverside. The arena is terrific, not a bad seat in the house. It took me 15 minutes from my driveway to the parking lot on campus.
12-06-2018 01:22 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

(12-06-2018 01:22 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 12:10 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  Cal Baptist falls short by 3 to UC Irvine (66-69). But the Lancers are competitive for a 1st year D1 program.

It was a great game. CBU could never get the lead in the 2nd half, but it was tied a number of times. They missed two three pointers in the last ten seconds that would have tied the game.

CBU competes, they play hard and they contest everything. They play good team defense. They help a lot on defense. UCI had better talent, although Milan Acquaah is very good. CBU will eventually get better.

The attendance was 2,833. I am not sure why the attendance was not better, but it is a cold, rainy night in Riverside. The arena is terrific, not a bad seat in the house. It took me 15 minutes from my driveway to the parking lot on campus.

Outside their Nevada lost of 35 the other 4 L's they have are by a combined 18 points. They will be a nice challenge for most in the WAC this year.
12-06-2018 10:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.